CC Candidate Master

Chess Club Membership Full

Metro chess club (in WA) has a limit of 60 members (due to size of venue) and this year (like several others) its membership is full.

People wishing to join the club have to join a waiting list, then at the end of September if any members have not renewed their membership new ppl are admitted (upon payment of fees).

Are there many other senior chess clubs in other states/territories that this issue occurs?

BTW I am not a member of this particular club

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Metro chess club (in WA) has a limit of 60 members (due to size of venue) and this year (like several others) its membership is full.

People wishing to join the club have to join a waiting list, then at the end of September if any members have not renewed their membership new ppl are admitted (upon payment of fees).

Are there many other senior chess clubs in other states/territories that this issue occurs?

That's quite an effort! I don't know of any regular club that turns away people due to venue size restrictions.. the only instance I can recall is when a tournament was held at Gardiner Chess Centre, they had to limit it to 80 entries due to its size. I'm sure with most club it'sthe opposite and they are in need of more members!
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rob

Yes. Box Hill put a cap on membership at 100 for 12 months while we developed computer support for pairings and web-site and entry collection. Cap was not driven by venue size (we can seat 140 on Friday nights).
    When we removed the cap the financial membership jumped to 180 in 6 months.

starter

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    That's quite an effort! I don't know of any regular club that turns away people due to venue size restrictions.. the only instance I can recall is when a tournament was held at Gardiner Chess Centre, they had to limit it to 80 entries due to its size. I'm sure with most club it'sthe opposite and they are in need of more members!
    Other clubs around Perth are struggling for members. BTW Metro Chess Club although a senior club does have juniors - there is a limit of 15 juniors.

Thread Information