Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master SHump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hobsons Bay Chess club, Vic, Australia
    Posts
    445

    DOP/TD also being a player?

    I am organising a tournament, I will be the TD, someone else will be the arbiter. I also want to play in it (the arbiter will be a non-player). So, apart from excluding myself from any appeals committee (that I as the TD will form), I was also considering the following words to post as part of the event rules. Thoughts welcome... I am sure I have been to events where the TD has played (without codifying it, like I am trying to do below). I am guessing I would also have to add some words such that if I am called away while it is not my turn, that my opponent will be nice enough to stop my clock once he/she has made their move.

    Perhaps I am being too optimistic that I can do both TD and player roles well simultaneously - and the idea is the assistant is there to record results and answer general questions: anything curly comes to me....

    Tournament director may play
    If the tournament director is also a player in the tournament, then the tournament director will ensure that an assistant is available during the playing of his/her game to act as the tournament director. If the assistant requires to consult with the tournament director during the playing of his/her game on a tournament director matter, then the tournament director will be allowed to pause his/her clock to attend to the matter.
    Scott.. enjoying Melbourne and Wyndham Chess Club and Hobsons Bay Chess club!

  2. #2
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    928
    Generally in low level tournaments where the arbiter/TD is playing, the clock keeps running if there called away on duties, and I think this is best.

    Your tournament wont be taken as seriously with this clause.

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    Quote Originally Posted by SHump
    I am organising a tournament, I will be the TD, someone else will be the arbiter. I also want to play in it (the arbiter will be a non-player). So, apart from excluding myself from any appeals committee (that I as the TD will form), I was also considering the following words to post as part of the event rules. Thoughts welcome... I am sure I have been to events where the TD has played (without codifying it, like I am trying to do below). I am guessing I would also have to add some words such that if I am called away while it is not my turn, that my opponent will be nice enough to stop my clock once he/she has made their move.

    Perhaps I am being too optimistic that I can do both TD and player roles well simultaneously - and the idea is the assistant is there to record results and answer general questions: anything curly comes to me....

    Tournament director may play
    If the tournament director is also a player in the tournament, then the tournament director will ensure that an assistant is available during the playing of his/her game to act as the tournament director. If the assistant requires to consult with the tournament director during the playing of his/her game on a tournament director matter, then the tournament director will be allowed to pause his/her clock to attend to the matter.
    Can you give some information on what kind of tournament? ie a small club event where only your club players are involved, a small weekender, a large weekender with decent prizes. Some information like that will help to give a proper answer.

    In most chess tournaments where you have two or more arbiters, where you have called the main person in charge a tournament director, the normal chess term for that person is chief arbiter. Then the person you have called an assistant arbiter is normally called a deputy arbiter and all other people who have been given arbiting duties are called assistant arbiters.

    Since you are going to have two arbiters, my strong piece of advice would be for the chief arbiter, or as you say Tournament Director, should be the one who does not play. The reason being is that someone has to be responsible for doing the pairings and answering any possible rule disputes which can sometimes take a while.

    If you wish to play and be one of the arbiters, I would suggest that you be the second in charge person.

    Btw, usually the term tournament director refers to the person who directs the tournament (funny that ) ie organises the arbiters, webmasters, scoresheet collectors etc, but is not usually involved in the day to day making of arbiting decisions.

  4. #4
    CC Candidate Master SHump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hobsons Bay Chess club, Vic, Australia
    Posts
    445
    Fair comment Cameron. Maybe then I will indicate just that in the rules, ie no special treatment for the TD when being a player.

    Garvinator - it is a small weekender (check my signature for a clue). Also a good suggestion, ie let the TD/Chief Arbiter be the non-player, and me his second. Maybe I will drop the TD title thingy altogether.

    I think the TD term just came into use, for our case, when considering someone appealing against the arbiter - hence someone else needing to organise the appeal.
    Last edited by SHump; 21-11-2009 at 05:05 PM.
    Scott.. enjoying Melbourne and Wyndham Chess Club and Hobsons Bay Chess club!

  5. #5
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by SHump
    Fair comment Cameron. Maybe then I will indicate just that in the rules, ie no special treatment for the TD when being a player.

    Garvinator - it is a small weekender (check my signature for a clue). Also a good suggestion, ie let the TD/Chief Arbiter be the non-player, and me his second. Maybe I will drop the TD title thingy altogether.

    I think the TD term just came into use, for our case, when considering someone appealing against the arbiter - hence someone else needing to organise the appeal.
    Most tournaments up here have

    "arbiters decision final"

    These are included to basically remove the ability to appeal the arbiters decision.

  6. #6
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,358
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    Generally in low level tournaments where the arbiter/TD is playing, the clock keeps running if there called away on duties, and I think this is best.

    Your tournament wont be taken as seriously with this clause.
    In Tasmania, where the usual turnout for weekenders is in the 20s, we frequently have playing arbiters (in fact this happens in almost all our weekenders). We have an agreed standard that where the arbiter is called away mid-game their clock is stopped while the matter is attended to. Usually the opponent, aware of the situation, will stop it right away without the arbiter needing to do so.

    We do not declare that there will be playing arbiters on the entry form or tournament rules. Players here know this is likely to be the case.

    We have a standard that at the start of each tournament at least 3 arbiters are appointed. Even if someone is specified as the "main arbiter" we appoint assistants. The arbiter might be involved in a game at dispute, which might be against the first assistant.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  7. #7
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    509

    No need to worry...

    Quote Originally Posted by SHump
    I am organising a tournament, I will be the TD, someone else will be the arbiter. I also want to play in it (the arbiter will be a non-player). So, apart from excluding myself from any appeals committee (that I as the TD will form), I was also considering the following words to post as part of the event rules. Thoughts welcome... I am sure I have been to events where the TD has played (without codifying it, like I am trying to do below). I am guessing I would also have to add some words such that if I am called away while it is not my turn, that my opponent will be nice enough to stop my clock once he/she has made their move.

    Perhaps I am being too optimistic that I can do both TD and player roles well simultaneously - and the idea is the assistant is there to record results and answer general questions: anything curly comes to me....

    Tournament director may play
    If the tournament director is also a player in the tournament, then the tournament director will ensure that an assistant is available during the playing of his/her game to act as the tournament director. If the assistant requires to consult with the tournament director during the playing of his/her game on a tournament director matter, then the tournament director will be allowed to pause his/her clock to attend to the matter.

    It's great to see that you've taken the possible conflict on interest seriously, but your being over catious. As long as the players know that you wont have any involvment in any decisions, that will be ok. I would ask the DOP do work out the prizes as well, unless you don't get a prize yourself.
    Lee Forace

    Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

    It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FIDE Proposal to introduce transfer fees for Federation changes
    By Bill Gletsos in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
  2. Complaint by Irina Krush.
    By Garvinator in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 02:46 PM
  3. New Laws of Chess as of 1st July 2005
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
  4. incremental time control
    By Garvinator in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 17-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •