CC Rookie

Question What do you like about online chess games?

If you play online chess, what are some of the most important things you look for in an online chess game?

Wazz^ ChessJamz =D

Glad to see some new members up in chesschats- Welcome & Enjoy your stay at chesschats ChessJamz !!!! (sprouty is the unofficial welcoming committee )

Sprouty is a big fan for live online chess. Its great for practicing with real ppl from around the globe. U can remain under cover while practicing. Do no harm to that rating you worked so hard to achieve.

Meh remember the days of old when msn.zone.com was the best online chessrooms ever. You could watch ppl playing all over the room at tables & also chat with the ppl either at the tables or the main chat lobby. Was so much fun for free- Nothing Compares to those days. (they closed the zone yrs ago)

Only other online chess site that is worthy to speak of is www.playchess.com. there u can play for free but no chat privildges. Sprout uses chesschats for the communications in the shoutbox by exchanging guest#'s. Also u can remain under cover and no-one will know its u. Hours on end playing chess to the wee hours of the evening =D

-Sprout85 =)
    Last edited by littlesprout85; 17-11-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Just trying to stay Positive in this New Bizarro World -Sprout85

CC Rookie
    Thanks for the welcome and reply! I like being able to observe people as they play too, it's a good learning tool.

Right onz =)

Glad to see onz chesschats. Sprouty is digging ur nic ChessJamz =0)

If yea like to play some online chess, just look sprouty ups in da shoutbox. Meh play at playchess every nights - we can use the shoutbox to communicate while playing. As well as too let yea know meh guest # to find sprouts in the cafe over there =) www.playchess.com rocks

-Sprout85 =)

Hey Jam, and welcome from Melbourne Australia too! I like getting to know people from allover the world and have a chat while we play... I don't like cheaters!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Hey Jam, and welcome from Melbourne Australia too! I like getting to know people from allover the world and have a chat while we play... I don't like cheaters!
    Thanks for the answer! Have you met a lot of people form around the world? I've talked to some people who said they would rather just play and don't want to talk, it's cool to know that some people also enjoy the socializing part.

I read on the chess.com forum that people make multiple accounts, play themselves, and then let one account keep winning to increase their ratings. Cheating just seems like a waste of effort. If they put that effort into actually playing a game, they might have fun AND increase their rating. Or at least have fun at any rate.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesprout85
    Right onz =)

Glad to see onz chesschats. Sprouty is digging ur nic ChessJamz =0)

If yea like to play some online chess, just look sprouty ups in da shoutbox. Meh play at playchess every nights - we can use the shoutbox to communicate while playing. As well as too let yea know meh guest # to find sprouts in the cafe over there =) www.playchess.com rocks

-Sprout85 =)
    Thanks for the offer! I'm really not good at chess yet, just starting out, but I'm learning. I play on chessjam.com, which is a pretty cool app. That's where I got the name It's a pretty cool name, but I can't take the credit for it

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    Thanks for the answer! Have you met a lot of people form around the world? I've talked to some people who said they would rather just play and don't want to talk, it's cool to know that some people also enjoy the socializing part.
    yes I have met many who fit your description, but a lady from the US and a gent from Spain I have made friends and we frequently correspond in chess and other subjects mainly art and politics.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    I read on the chess.com forum that people make multiple accounts, play themselves, and then let one account keep winning to increase their ratings. Cheating just seems like a waste of effort. If they put that effort into actually playing a game, they might have fun AND increase their rating. Or at least have fun at any rate.
    I knew of people like that when I used to play at Yahoo. Nowadays the cheating methods are related more to the use of chess engines!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Aw Nice

Dont let that discourage yea ChessJamz. Sproutys rating is only around 1300. 1400 on a good day m8. Sprouty is the type to play for fun. Meh could care less about making a career outta chess- noway, its justagame-LOL justaknight/justagame.

Usually sprouty will sit in the cafe over at playchess and play 10 min rounds. hardly ever play longer rounds or full games. Most ppl here at chesschats dont play full on games via the web. 10 min rounds and less are the norm in these parts. Long enough to get thru the openings and see who is on tops the fastest.

-Sprout85 =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sproutys
    noway, its justagame-LOL justaknight/justagame.
    @ sproutys!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Howdy from Kansas, online is pretty fun, there are more and more sites showing up all the time, I was on aics, which is now fics, before they split and one became fics and the other ICC. ICC went pay to play, touting watching GM's play and now video features and live relays of tournaments, like the World Cup right now... But others do this as well, like fics, but there was a controversy during one event when playchess didn't ask to relay the games from a site and a hubbub started... But when I saw computer chess, I was thinking programs, like I run the ICC account TransWarp, which has been offline due to the fact ICC is pay for play... I'm disabled and my disability check just wasn't enough the past few months, but in December, she's going back online. I did keep my human account to play on there, I've just gotten used to the community...if you don't have that bond, I would say just go for what you want to do, if you just want to play chess online, there are many sites to do this for free, you won't see GM's and such play but if you don't mind, go for it.

Playchess and ICC (Internet Chess Club) are both pay to play, you can buy a membership via their websites, oh yeah, and convekta's site as well (they make Chess Assistant and Aquarium for Rybka), I think it's getting more popular as they have that interface now. Their competitor Chessbase has Playchess, I believe. Convekta's is the Chess Assistant Club or something, pay to play as well. I heard one trick a guy uses to get free years at playchess.com, buy Fritz 9, it comes with a free year and is real cheap now, like $10.00 US. He can buy 4 of those and have 4 years of codes, unless they discontinue the Fritz 9 codes. But the price of $40.00 for 6 months of play $70.00 for a year, has kept TransWarp offline, it's sad too, it was such an attraction to the club, when GM Hikaru Nakamura used to play it, there would be 500 people watching at it's peak. Sure, not as much as when he would play the next highest rated human a match (blitz) which would be over 1k at some times! Usually some anonymous GM that people would speculate who it was, like GM Magnus Carlsen or such. Nakamura plays at ICC as Smallville, but also frequents playchess as well as StarWars. The ratings at these clubs are very out of line with ELO, as Nakamura's blitz rating has broken 3500 at playchess and 3750 at the Internet Chess Club! My computer, I'm not bragging, but just to show how overrated it is, is rated 4004 at ICC, holding the record at 4009. There is s computer on it's way up there, so I want to get TransWarp back online for one last year. Then it will be online for everyone to play... Because at the moment, it's few and far between that it would get games online before it's membership ran out..people had to be rated within 700 ELO pts for TW to get just 1 pt, otherwise it would have had to play for 0, I didn't think that was fair, playing a Grandmaster and not getting 1 rating point at least...but the way it goes, so after it's final year of rated play within the 700 pts, I will let anyone play it rated, so it may lose 32 points for a loss to a 3200 rated GM, gaining 0 for it's effort but losing 16 pts for a draw and 32 for a loss, given that those are few and far between, all a high rated player has to do is get 1 draw, and gain 16 pts, while risking 0 pts.
    People would often say I did it just to gain rating points (play only humans) but I wanted the best humans to try, I'm paying 70 dollars a year, heck, I should be able to at least let it play the best). So maybe a little, but I also don't believe in the system, where a 3200 rated player, who is often in the top 100 player list, should be able to play risking nothing and they don't even have to pay for their accounts.

Now I realize in a year, my comp will be out of date, other comps with new chips and more ram will be out there, so it will be TW's last gasp. But I will always know it was the first to break 4000 on ICC and for me, who cannot get out and play, because of my disability, have something to be a little proud of, after all, I did make my own opening books, I got nailed some times because of that, but it was fun trying to keep them at bay from finding drawing lines And meet a few GM's for a bit that would at least say hi when I thanked them for the game, and I thanked every one of them. On my blog, I also posted their wins and draws, while not posting every TransWarp win and saying it beat so and so. I did save the moment where it went over 4000 though, I had to

But the main thing is, find a chess site where your are comfortable, be able to filter out those who are rude and can't take a loss (regarding human vs human play, like when I play and due to my meds these days, I don't mind saying I can't play like I used to be able to play), become part of the community if you desire and most of all, have fun! I don't have things in the world I would like, abilities to do things I used to be able to do, so I have to take it day to day, and some of them are pretty rough. So I use this, and like this forum and my blogs, as well as other forums or blogs, to play chess, or talk chess, watch my computer play chess, etc. And zone into a different world for a while where I have no worries.

I'm sorry I got a little carried away here, but chess is a passion, I can go to sleep at night pretending I'm the one winning a major tournament, moving up in the ranks to challenge for the title and sleep comes easy...doesn't stay easy due to the pain, but I always remember, there are people who have it worse, far worse. So have fun in this life, enjoy this hobby of ours, even if it's an obsession, enjoy it! Find the site that gives you the most joy, if you have to pay for it and can afford it, go for it! Now to quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".

Bill
    Happy to be able to put TransWarp back online at ICC in two days, then will think of a good signature, I hope.
    http://transwarpchess.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker
    Howdy from Kansas, online is pretty fun, there are more and more sites showing up all the time, I was on aics, which is now fics, before they split and one became fics and the other ICC. ICC went pay to play, touting watching GM's play and now video features and live relays of tournaments, like the World Cup right now... But others do this as well, like fics, but there was a controversy during one event when playchess didn't ask to relay the games from a site and a hubbub started... But when I saw computer chess, I was thinking programs, like I run the ICC account TransWarp, which has been offline due to the fact ICC is pay for play... I'm disabled and my disability check just wasn't enough the past few months, but in December, she's going back online. I did keep my human account to play on there, I've just gotten used to the community...if you don't have that bond, I would say just go for what you want to do, if you just want to play chess online, there are many sites to do this for free, you won't see GM's and such play but if you don't mind, go for it.

Playchess and ICC (Internet Chess Club) are both pay to play, you can buy a membership via their websites, oh yeah, and convekta's site as well (they make Chess Assistant and Aquarium for Rybka), I think it's getting more popular as they have that interface now. Their competitor Chessbase has Playchess, I believe. Convekta's is the Chess Assistant Club or something, pay to play as well. I heard one trick a guy uses to get free years at playchess.com, buy Fritz 9, it comes with a free year and is real cheap now, like $10.00 US. He can buy 4 of those and have 4 years of codes, unless they discontinue the Fritz 9 codes. But the price of $40.00 for 6 months of play $70.00 for a year, has kept TransWarp offline, it's sad too, it was such an attraction to the club, when GM Hikaru Nakamura used to play it, there would be 500 people watching at it's peak. Sure, not as much as when he would play the next highest rated human a match (blitz) which would be over 1k at some times! Usually some anonymous GM that people would speculate who it was, like GM Magnus Carlsen or such. Nakamura plays at ICC as Smallville, but also frequents playchess as well as StarWars. The ratings at these clubs are very out of line with ELO, as Nakamura's blitz rating has broken 3500 at playchess and 3750 at the Internet Chess Club! My computer, I'm not bragging, but just to show how overrated it is, is rated 4004 at ICC, holding the record at 4009. There is s computer on it's way up there, so I want to get TransWarp back online for one last year. Then it will be online for everyone to play... Because at the moment, it's few and far between that it would get games online before it's membership ran out..people had to be rated within 700 ELO pts for TW to get just 1 pt, otherwise it would have had to play for 0, I didn't think that was fair, playing a Grandmaster and not getting 1 rating point at least...but the way it goes, so after it's final year of rated play within the 700 pts, I will let anyone play it rated, so it may lose 32 points for a loss to a 3200 rated GM, gaining 0 for it's effort but losing 16 pts for a draw and 32 for a loss, given that those are few and far between, all a high rated player has to do is get 1 draw, and gain 16 pts, while risking 0 pts.
    People would often say I did it just to gain rating points (play only humans) but I wanted the best humans to try, I'm paying 70 dollars a year, heck, I should be able to at least let it play the best). So maybe a little, but I also don't believe in the system, where a 3200 rated player, who is often in the top 100 player list, should be able to play risking nothing and they don't even have to pay for their accounts.

Now I realize in a year, my comp will be out of date, other comps with new chips and more ram will be out there, so it will be TW's last gasp. But I will always know it was the first to break 4000 on ICC and for me, who cannot get out and play, because of my disability, have something to be a little proud of, after all, I did make my own opening books, I got nailed some times because of that, but it was fun trying to keep them at bay from finding drawing lines And meet a few GM's for a bit that would at least say hi when I thanked them for the game, and I thanked every one of them. On my blog, I also posted their wins and draws, while not posting every TransWarp win and saying it beat so and so. I did save the moment where it went over 4000 though, I had to

But the main thing is, find a chess site where your are comfortable, be able to filter out those who are rude and can't take a loss (regarding human vs human play, like when I play and due to my meds these days, I don't mind saying I can't play like I used to be able to play), become part of the community if you desire and most of all, have fun! I don't have things in the world I would like, abilities to do things I used to be able to do, so I have to take it day to day, and some of them are pretty rough. So I use this, and like this forum and my blogs, as well as other forums or blogs, to play chess, or talk chess, watch my computer play chess, etc. And zone into a different world for a while where I have no worries.

I'm sorry I got a little carried away here, but chess is a passion, I can go to sleep at night pretending I'm the one winning a major tournament, moving up in the ranks to challenge for the title and sleep comes easy...doesn't stay easy due to the pain, but I always remember, there are people who have it worse, far worse. So have fun in this life, enjoy this hobby of ours, even if it's an obsession, enjoy it! Find the site that gives you the most joy, if you have to pay for it and can afford it, go for it! Now to quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".

Bill
    Wowwwwwwwww what a wonderful Post Bill, look you are more than welcome in this site, and I am sure you will find many challengers for a good game as well as an interesting discussion. Our members here vary from GM to very strong players (like me NOT and many patzers, they are mostly nice guys and I am sure you will enjoy your visits here!
    Take care and hey, speedy recovery ok???
    Cheers and good luck!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information