Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Troubleshooting: How to break up a quoted post into several quotes when replying

This is a commonly asked question so I have decided to copy a reply I just gave to Grant Szuveges to a new thread so that I can link to it when asked this question in the future.

Feedback on whether I have explained it clearly enough very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges
    Obviously some of the quote in the above post is from JAK and some is from me. Can the moderaters please fix it up so that people know who said what - its probably fairly self explanatory anyway, but I dont want to add words to someone elses quote. Id do it myself but I have no idea how to.
    I have done it for your post above. Here's how to do it:

You need to manually add quote coding through the post to chop it up into bits for reply purposes. When you get to the end of each piece you want to quote put (/QUOTE) but using square brackets instead of round ones. Then press return to start a new line and type your reply.

When you want to go back to quoting from the text you're replying to, press return again and then put (QUOTE) but using square brackets instead of round ones.

Example:

-----------------------------------------------------------

(QUOTE=Arthur Antelope) Yadda yadda yadda (/QUOTE)

Yadda to you too.

(QUOTE) More yadda.(/QUOTE)

And the same to you doubled on Tuesdays.

(QUOTE) But I said yadda yadda yadda!(/QUOTE)

Yes, I heard you the first time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

with square brackets instead of round brackets will look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Antelope
    Yadda yadda yadda
    Yadda to you too.

More yadda.

But I said yadda yadda yadda!

I will award a free premium membership to anyone who can teach antichrist how to get it right. (Criterion for award: 90%+ success rate by antichrist over 50+ attempts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I will award a free premium membership to anyone who can teach antichrist how to get it right.
    OK, I will try:-

A/C, please read this:

You need to manually add quote coding through the post to chop it up into bits for reply purposes. When you get to the end of each piece you want to quote put (/QUOTE) but using square brackets instead of round ones. Then press return to start a new line and type your reply.

When you want to go back to quoting from the text you're replying to, press return again and then put (QUOTE) but using square brackets instead of round ones.

Example:

-----------------------------------------------------------

(QUOTE=Arthur Antelope) Yadda yadda yadda (/QUOTE)

Yadda to you too.

(QUOTE) More yadda.(/QUOTE)

(QUOTE) But I said yadda yadda yadda!(/QUOTE)

with square brackets instead of round brackets will look like this:

Yadda to you too.

Actually, A/C has learnt how to use red text, so I don't see why he can't learn this too.
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

[QUOTE=Kevin Bonham

KB
    -------------------------
    I will award [b]a free premium membership[/b] to anyone who can teach antichrist how to get it right. (Criterion for award: 90%+ success rate by antichrist over 50+ attempts.)/QUOTE]

-------------------------
    HD
    lololol[/QUOTE
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Or you can hightlight the text you're quoting and click the quote button.
    meep meep

I will award a free premium membership to anyone who can teach antichrist how to get it right. (Criterion for award: 90%+ success rate by antichrist over 50+ attempts.)
    Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You believe in miracles!

There's a better chance that AC might achieve this by random variations of his posts than by actually learning how to do it by means of intelligence.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Actually, A/C has learnt how to use red text, so I don't see why he can't learn this too.
    Your faith is inspiring!
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Snail King
    There's a better chance that AC might achieve this by random variations of his posts than by actually learning how to do it by means of intelligence.
    I agree; AC's posts generally display no evidence of an intelligent designer.

But far from believing that the miracle will occur, I merely hope that there is some zillionth of a chance that it might, and offer a reward in the hope of making it happen.

Actually the fact that he can do red text but not quote is a bit of a worry. It makes me suspect he knows how to do quoting but deliberately screws it up.

Careful guys don't go for overkill. The last guy who went overboard over my quoting ended up in Alcaltraz and he is still there. Courtesy of Bill I think.

So he started up UCB in response - defamed everybody and the Assoc., got barred from Doberl and everything and the rest is history...*******...defamed again.. throwing hand grenades - all because of my "{[quoting]}"

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Careful guys don't go for overkill. The last guy who went overboard over my quoting ended up in Alcaltraz and he is still there. Courtesy of Bill I think.
    Nope, all wrong. It was me who banned him, it was for a month, it was in May 2006 and UCJ had been dead for almost a year at that time.

It makes me suspect he knows how to do quoting but deliberately screws it up.
    +1. I've had the same view for several years now ...

It seems to be a game he plays. What the rules are, or how he knows who wins and who loses, I cannot say. But I am happy to play along with it for the most part.

Nope, all wrong. It was me who banned him, it was for a month, it was in May 2006 and UCJ had been dead for almost a year at that time.
    And all for a victimless non-crime - thats a first for that expression I reakon

Thread Information