Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,008

    Draconian rule forfeits

    In the EU team ch. we have several draconian rule forfeits already. Laznicka came 5 seconds too late to his game and was forfeited. Delchev from Bulgaria played 1.d4 and his mobile phone rang leading to an instant forfeit. As I understand it both games are not rated because they didn't contain both a white move and a black move.

    What would have have happened if Stuart Conquest (Delchev's opponent) at the moment of hearing the ringtone frantically (or maybe just in a simultaneous movement) had launched out 1...Nf6 or 1...d5. Would he have gotten his free 6 rating points then? As it were he got nothing I suppose. I wonder if he can now score a performance rating prize (at 3/3 he had a good start).

    In retrospect I think that these forfeits that clearly does nothing to enforce discipline or avoid swindling are in fact just a disgrace for chess. You can't really argue that coming 5 seconds too late is a gross negligence - nor can you suspect Delchev of getting advice on what to play next in the mobile phone when his first move is yet unanswered (well nowadays a GM-GM game leaving theory before move 10 is unusual).

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    9,088

    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    In the EU team ch. we have several draconian rule forfeits already. Laznicka came 5 seconds too late to his game and was forfeited. Delchev from Bulgaria played 1.d4 and his mobile phone rang leading to an instant forfeit. As I understand it both games are not rated because they didn't contain both a white move and a black move.

    What would have have happened if Stuart Conquest (Delchev's opponent) at the moment of hearing the ringtone frantically (or maybe just in a simultaneous movement) had launched out 1...Nf6 or 1...d5. Would he have gotten his free 6 rating points then? As it were he got nothing I suppose. I wonder if he can now score a performance rating prize (at 3/3 he had a good start).

    In retrospect I think that these forfeits that clearly does nothing to enforce discipline or avoid swindling are in fact just a disgrace for chess. You can't really argue that coming 5 seconds too late is a gross negligence - nor can you suspect Delchev of getting advice on what to play next in the mobile phone when his first move is yet unanswered (well nowadays a GM-GM game leaving theory before move 10 is unusual).
    Why on earth is any tournamant enforcing a 0 minutes forfeit time when they can choose 30 minutes?
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,539
    I agree that 5s forfeit is a bit too much (must be at least 10s ).
    However, mobile phones must be off before the start of the game. It might be draconian, but I think it's fair.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,124

    Nunn on FIDE's disastrous handling of world chess — it's run for arbiters not players

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Why on earth is any tournamant enforcing a 0 minutes forfeit time when they can choose 30 minutes?
    Nunn talks about the sad state of world chess in his book Grandmaster Chess Move by Move (written before that zero default time):

    Under Ilyumzhinov's leadership, FIDE has made a number of poor decisions which have had a negative impact on chess … The first bad decision was the introduction of the so-called 'Fide time-limit' …

    This effectively makes a well-played endgame an impossibility and a quick look at games played in events using the FIDE time-limit shows the destruction wrought on endgame play. It is indeed a pity to see grandmasters who are undoubtedly capable of playing an excellent endgame having their talents crippled by the need to make a move every 30 seconds. Had Rubinstein, Capablanca and Smyslov been forced to play so quickly, we would have been deprived of many of the endgame masterpieces which have delighted generations of chessplayers.

    Most grandmasters dislike the FIDE time-limit and its only benefit is to arbiters, since players are obliged to keep score throughout their games. Unfortunately, arbiters are much better represented in FIDE than players (the lack of genuine representation of players within FIDE is one of the organization's main structural failings). Judging by the number of arbiters who fall asleep during the games, they are not exactly overburdened with duties, and to save themselves one of the few tasks they have to perform, they appear willing to seriously damage the game of chess.

    Well, it's about a different issue, but the problem is the same: arbiters want an easy life, so they force through this draconian zero default time, and stuff what the players want.

    Nunn discusses two other major blunders by FIDE: the "world championship" knockouts, which have devalued the official title by making it a lottery. He also points out that knockouts have been disastroust anyway, e.g. the Interpolis Tilburg tourney was once one of the most prestigious, but interest in it waned when it went knockout and disappeared within a couple of years. Wijk aan Zee tried it, but realized its mistake, and it is now recognized as a leading event.

    The third Nunn regards as absurd: introducing drug testing. Supposedly it's in the vain hope of becoming an Olympic sport, but there is no drug that's been shown to improve chess performance:

    Am I alone in thinking that all proportion has been lost in this matter? In other professions you have to do something really serious before you are disqualified from practising; why should chessplayers be disqualified for using a cold cure?
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  5. #5
    CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,008

    Why indeed

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Why on earth is any tournament enforcing a 0 minutes forfeit time when they can choose 30 minutes?
    Why on earth is FIDE default 0 minutes when it could be 30 minutes and leave tournaments to choose 0 minutes or 60 minutes as they see fit?

    What has common sense come to in our world? An unfortunate flight passenger used the b-word in an American airline, and according to standing orders when a passenger uses the b-word (bomb) they have to "handcuff him, give him a big fine, and take him off the plane", well I'm really inventing the details here, what I know for certain is they gave him the big roll-over and he lost his flight. And all because asked about the device in his luggage he explained it was a "penis bomb" (pump) but it got "lost in translation". Poor chap.

    What get's me is that we have standing orders to set the brain function out by default in employees because the (airline) leaders have been so intelligent that they can foresee that the situation needs maximum alert. Jesus!

    If a terrorist would really go raving mad and against his own interest hint at that his bomb was actually a bomb without using the b-word, I am sure the personnel would be smart enough to take action whether or not the (stupid) standing order existed or not. Geez, who invents these orders?

    The zero tolerance on coming late to chess games quite clearly comes from Ilyumzhinov himself. His aids were suggesting something different and he cut through to make it zero minutes - at least that is my understanding.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,206
    If the game was scheduled to start at, say, 3pm then I wonder if one could argue that they are still on time if they show up at 3:00.05. If it's not 3:01 then it's still 3:00 isn't it?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  7. #7
    CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    If the game was scheduled to start at, say, 3pm then I wonder if one could argue that they are still on time if they show up at 3:00.05. If it's not 3:01 then it's still 3:00 isn't it?
    There is some logic to what you say, Boris. After all the rule 6.6(a) is "Any player who arrives at the chessboard after the start of the session shall lose the game. Thus the default time is 0 minutes." But it doesn't say 0 seconds.

    Also I find it hard to understand how they could default Hou Yifan. She came before the session to the chessboard, but then realized she was missing a pen, and then went to find a pen, when returning with the pen was defaulted. Again common sense is completely lacking.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    Why on earth is FIDE default 0 minutes when it could be 30 minutes and leave tournaments to choose 0 minutes or 60 minutes as they see fit?
    The Kraut bosses of the last Olympiad just loved it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    What has common sense come to in our world? An unfortunate flight passenger used the b-word in an American airline, and according to standing orders when a passenger uses the b-word (bomb) they have to "handcuff him, give him a big fine, and take him off the plane", well I'm really inventing the details here, what I know for certain is they gave him the big roll-over and he lost his flight. And all because asked about the device in his luggage he explained it was a "penis bomb" (pump) but it got "lost in translation". Poor chap.

    What get's me is that we have standing orders to set the brain function out by default in employees because the (airline) leaders have been so intelligent that they can foresee that the situation needs maximum alert. Jesus!
    Mark Steyn's book America Alone points out that the 11-9 terrorists exploited this culture of cowering obedience to the airplane staff. They had all been instructed to do as the terrorists said, since the bureaucrats thought that all that terrorists wanted was a destination or hostages. They didn't think about using the planes as missiles. But meanwhile, the staff would have done the terrorists' bidding at enforcing compliance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    The zero tolerance on coming late to chess games quite clearly comes from Ilyumzhinov himself. His aids were suggesting something different and he cut through to make it zero minutes - at least that is my understanding.
    Nunn also argues that many sponsors pulled out because of his shady reputation. But he has little hope that national federations will pull FIDE into line.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    Also I find it hard to understand how they could default Hou Yifan. She came before the session to the chessboard, but then realized she was missing a pen, and then went to find a pen, when returning with the pen was defaulted. Again common sense is completely lacking.
    Of course, but Nunn's point that FIDE is run by and for arbiters, not players, explains a lot of the crappy new rules.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  9. #9
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Nunn talks about the sad state of world chess in his book Grandmaster Chess Move by Move (written before that zero default time):
    What we have since seen is a move away from the too-fast 90/+30 towards more realistic time controls that allow for continual scoring.

    Ditto with the knockout WC blunder - this is now reduced to being just one part of the WC qualification process with many other routes to the title.

    What is concerning is that there is a pattern of FIDE introducing dumb changes, persisting with them for some time before abandoning them, when those changes should never have been introduced in the first place.

    Unfortunately Nunn sometimes opposes proposed changes that are good (eg in the area of ratings) so as far as I'm concerned he is part of another problem. Indeed my general impression is that FIDE are not only too rash in making bad changes but too slow in making good ones.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Proposal of new draw rule 9.7
    By Jesper Norgaard in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 25-10-2014, 07:03 PM
  2. 12.1 The disrepute rule: what does it mean?
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 27-07-2013, 12:55 PM
  3. Is the mobile phone rule draconian?
    By firegoat7 in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 29-04-2009, 07:23 PM
  4. Replies: 109
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 08:19 PM
  5. Unfair rule re recording when under 5 minutes.
    By FM_Bill in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 23-10-2005, 03:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •