Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC International Master

Ratings predictions Dec 2009!

Starting the thread kind of early because I just completed the last non-rapid chess tournament this period. Using the aid of Barry's calculator I have concluded that I will be >1600 (1619 give or take a few) which means over a year I've moved from 1408 to 1600ish! Goal achieved well done me. Bragging rights (I'm allowed to come off as an arrogant ##### because it's my birthday). End brag/
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

As someone who has got the odd year wrong himself, I note that the thread title should say 2010!! Can a Mod fix this please?
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    As someone who has got the odd year wrong himself, I note that the thread title should say 2010!!
    Actually he has the year right but the month wrong as the ACF ratings come out on 1st December 2009.
    Can a Mod fix this please?
    I have corrected the month.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Actually he has the year right but the month wrong as the ACF ratings come out on 1st December 2009.
    I have corrected the month.
    Thankyou Bill. And thankyou Adamski because if they had of being coming out this January then it would have been 2010.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Going down

As I only have 2 competition games left in the time remaining for the next ratings update, I am sad to say my rating is likely to go down again. Too many blunders brought on by tiredness due to busy days at work preceding my games.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

As I only have 2 competition games left in the time remaining for the next ratings update, I am sad to say my rating is likely to go down again. Too many blunders brought on by tiredness due to busy days at work preceding my games.
    Foot fault. The excuse you are suppose to use is that the tiredness is brought on by attempting to organise the Aus Champs

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    Foot fault. The excuse you are suppose to use is that the tiredness is brought on by attempting to organise the Aus Champs
    That is, indeed, also a contributing factor to my rating demise. But rumours of my (chess-playing) death are exaggerated (I hope)! (With apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a fine writer.)
    Last edited by Adamski; 26-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Well I hope not many New south welshmen/women will be posting here just yet....
    [cough] Fisher's Ghost[/cough] lol
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Probably down below 1900 again (sigh!) once my losses to M Bretag and Steward are taken into account. But perhaps only below by 5 or so points, if I don't concede anything in remaining HICC event games.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

It's a long way to...

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Parker
    Well I hope not many New south welshmen/women will be posting here just yet....
    [cough] Fisher's Ghost[/cough] lol
    It's a long way from Dee Why to Campbelltown way. Besides I have a show not too long afterwards to perform in - Pirates of Penzance. But good luck for the tournament. I hope it is a success. ARRRRGGGHH!
    Last edited by Adamski; 27-10-2009 at 06:29 AM.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    It's a long way from Dee Why to Campbelltown way.
    Probably about the same distance as Picton is to Norths....

Just kidding adamski...
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

I'm not sure what my rating is doing, I think it will be around the same, maybe just going up. As long as I stay above 1400 I'm happy.
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC FIDE Master

Hoping for the best

I'm currently 1599, which in years gone past I would have poured compliments and awe to our beloved ratings officer. Now it reminds me that I'm a bunyip and was 1595 as far back as 2002.

My highest ever rating was 1661. I'm demanding of myself in the first instance to be >1600 and it would be nice to be over 1650...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Much in common

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspirit
    I'm currently 1599, which in years gone past I would have poured compliments and awe to our beloved ratings officer. Now it reminds me that I'm a bunyip and was 1595 as far back as 2002.

My highest ever rating was 1661. I'm demanding of myself in the first instance to be >1600 and it would be nice to be over 1650...
    Hey Lee, we have much in common here. My current rating is one of my lowest, 1559 (and next one will be lower, barring a taken chance for a big upset in the Ford - an opportunity dependent on the vagaries of the last round draw). My best has been 1666, back in NZ. And like you I am a past arbiter. Hope to see you again in Sydney! Your current rating must give you a great chance in any of the Under 1600 events. Myself, I am playing in the norths Classic, 7 rounds rather than 11.

CC FIDE Master

Stuff in common.

Hey Lee, we have much in common here. My current rating is one of my lowest, 1559 (and next one will be lower, barring a taken chance for a big upset in the Ford - an opportunity dependent on the vagaries of the last round draw). My best has been 1666, back in NZ. And like you I am a past arbiter. Hope to see you again in Sydney! Your current rating must give you a great chance in any of the Under 1600 events. Myself, I am playing in the norths Classic, 7 rounds rather than 11.
    I no longer plan to play U1600 events, my last U1600 was Doeberl Minor which I have been top seed no less than five times, but have not even one minor place in all those occassions. Even if I did win I would be embarrassed, as I should have won a minor closer to ten than five years ago.

The reason I played them for so long was of course the name in lights for 10 seconds, but partially due to some great advice Brett Tindall once gave me on 'playing up' in tournaments. 'Playing up' can be a great cop out, where you can play bad chess, scam a draw or two and go up points. In the minor I had to play good chess every round, which is much harder. John-Paul Wallace once commented that to win a divisional event, you need to play at about 200 points above the cut off. I never played at 1800 in Doeberl minor and usually played at 1400.

Now my aims are a little different. I would like to be 1800 (or A Grade). This in itself means little, buts it goal none-the-less. Also while I concede that its a little obsessive that I know that I'm 31st highest patzer in the ACT, movement up this list serves as more motivation than winning a minor.

I've moved on from that...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Thread Information