CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

Very interesting, thanks Brian

It would be great to go myself on another occasion. The School of Education at Uni Tas (where I work as a lecturer) has links with Vanuatu - and we regularly send students there for practicum - so maybe they could be next on the list?!

CC FIDE Master
    When Gary Bekker visited my shop recently in the Sydney CBD he mentioned the forthcoming event in Honiara. I told Gary that I had received communication from Solomon Islands about 25 years ago as they were holding the first international tournament in Honiara.

Max Fuller, an avid reader of my SMH column for nearly four decades found my column of 18 July 1983 which states as follows.

Leading players for Solomons tournament by Peter Parr Chess Correspondent.
    Max Fuller eight times Olympic representative will be participating in the first international tournament in Honiara, Solomon Islands, beginning on July 29.
    Solomon Islands Airlines has donated tickets to Honiara to guarantee the success of the event. Leading players from the South Pacific including Dr Ada of Fiji and Joe Rush of Papua New Guinea are among the entrants.- the recent event is over 26 years later than the first International in Honiara. Fuller scored 100% in a field of about 25. BTW the last time I was in Honiara was early 1973 when I was employed by P & O Shipping Lines as an entertainer. I cruised the South Pacific to Tahiti and islands in between.

Great, but

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    Very interesting, thanks Brian

It would be great to go myself on another occasion. The School of Education at Uni Tas (where I work as a lecturer) has links with Vanuatu - and we regularly send students there for practicum - so maybe they could be next on the list?!
    A great idea, Tony, but note that the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu (formerly New Hebrides) are 2 different countries!
    And another fascinating post by Peter Parr, like his last one on the Maroczy club in Sydney thread.
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and sometimes arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girlfriend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does a historian have?".

Gary Bekker

Quote Originally Posted by peter_parr
    When Gary Bekker visited my shop recently in the Sydney CBD he mentioned the forthcoming event in Honiara. I told Gary that I had received communication from Solomon Islands about 25 years ago as they were holding the first international tournament in Honiara.
    In case folks did not notice, IA Gary Bekker (prominentlly, as he was interviewed) and FM Brian Jones appear on the Sunrise video clip from the Solomon Islands tournament. I think I also spotted frequent Kiwi visitor to Australia, IA Bob Gibbons. Great to see chess coverage on tv!
    Last edited by Adamski; 19-10-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and sometimes arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girlfriend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does a historian have?".

The 2012 Solomon Islands International has been postponed until later in the year.
    See http://www.oceaniachess.com/media/ma...ernational.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    The 2012 Solomon Islands International has been postponed until later in the year.
    See http://www.oceaniachess.com/media/ma...ernational.pdf

Why was postponed? Lack of unknown players?

Brandon Tangaibasa FIDE 1932
    Scarden Tesua FIDE 1770
    Price Tepuke FIDE 1721
    Takika Tuata FIDE 1721
    Budds Maruia FIDE 1603
    Anthony Maelasi Unrated
    Another Unrated
    Another Unrated
    Another Unrated
    Another Unrated

Are you after players and is there any cheap travel and accomm there?
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Why was postponed?
    At the request of the new Solomon Islands Chess Federation President, Mr Anthony Maelasi, so that there is more time for the new Executive Committee to get organised!

Thread Information