CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar

A little nostalgia

Two games that might be of interest. They are three decades old, but the opponents are familiar. In a few days it will be exactly 30 years ago. The first one is familiar because he is (and was at the time) a renown world chess star, and the second ... well, might be a household name here.

This was a new invention in 1979, a world championship for teams for under 16 years of age (although I was 16 at the time it was played). This tournament format died with the initiation it seems, it wasn't played before or since to my knowledge. Denmark A got a lesson in the first round losing 4-0 to the later winners England.

I really got a tough challenge playing this tournament on first board for Denmark A, I had only started playing in a club when I was 13 years old, but still came out with flying colors. My 4/7 was highest score of all the 8 Danish players in Denmark A and B teams, even though I had the toughest opponents.

Nigel told me there had to be a draw for me after his piece sacrifice. Maybe he just tried to be a nice guy, because I have searched the draw ever since, and I couldn't find any defense. I was basically just ground down and strategically outplayed. Against Solo I had better luck

[Event "VM under 16 aar"]
    [Site "Viborg"]
    [Date "1979.10.14"]
    [Round "1"]
    [Board "1"]
    [White "Nørgaard, Jesper"]
    [Black "Short, Nigel"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "C05"]
    [PlyCount "98"]
    [WhiteTeam "Denmark A"]
    [BlackTeam "England"]

PGN Viewer

[Event "VM under 16 aar"]
    [Site "Viborg"]
    [Date "1979.10.16"]
    [Round "3"]
    [Board "1"]
    [White "Nørgaard, Jesper"]
    [Black "Solomon, Stephen"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "C42"]
    [PlyCount "137"]
    [WhiteTeam "Denmark A"]
    [BlackTeam "Australia"]

PGN Viewer

If there is interest I could make the PGN file of all of the games available (I captured the games to PGN back in 2005).

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    If there is no positive response here I will ensure that Solo comments first hand on it.

CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    If there is no positive response here I will ensure that Solo comments first hand on it.
    Thanks AC; maybe he can get 7 forgotten games to his games collection ... or rather 6 more, apart from the above. But probably not. Usually there is a certain correlation between discipline of keeping the score of games (perhaps in a database) and playing strength, which leads to a high probability that he has them already.

But he might not have the Short games (he, he, pun intended).

Thread Information