Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master Javier Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia or Spain.
    Posts
    134

    Sydney Grade Matches: a couple of questions

    Perhaps I'm wrong, but is it just me or does anybody else have the feeling that Sydney Grade Matches 2004 didn't get much internet coverage? I'm not even sure if there was any mention of it here. (anybody got a link to a page with some information on it?)
    I thought this was supposed to be one of the most important (if not the most) team events held in Sydney.
    Something else, isn't this tournament strong enough to be FIDE Rated? why isn't it?
    International Master and Professional Chess Coach.
    Website: http://www.chess.clinic
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9X...rWCy7TSkIXvpYQ

  2. #2
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    There is a link to the results from the NSWCA web page.
    The results page was updated at least weekly.
    Its at http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/scarratt/allgrade.htm

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master Javier Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia or Spain.
    Posts
    134
    Thank you, Bill.
    International Master and Professional Chess Coach.
    Website: http://www.chess.clinic
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9X...rWCy7TSkIXvpYQ

  4. #4
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Over the past few years instead of having an individual handle the Grade Match's like it was done in the past the various functions are now shared amongst various council members.
    Peter Cassettari and I handle changes to the Grade Match rules. We put recommendations to the Council for them to vote on.

    Steve Carratt the NSW Ratings Officer handles the draw and the collecting of the results and posting on the web. Results are often emailed in.

    Charles Zworestine assists with the layout and organisation of printing the Grade Match booklets.

    Peter Cassettari acts as the Grade Match Arbiter.

    The NSW Appeals Committee consisting of Richard Gastineau-Hills, Kerry Stead and I handle any Appeals of the Grade Match Arbiters decision.

  5. #5
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Javier, Sydney grade matches are indeed strong enough to be FIDE-rated but there is a problem over time limits and many of the strong players are not currently playing in the Grades. To get FIDE-rating we need to play say 90 minutes plus 30secs/move. This requires sessions of at least 4 hours. As Sydney grade matches are held in the evenings (7.30-11pm), this is difficult to achieve. Some venues have early finishes and I for one prefer shorter sessions in the evening due to travel time problems and getting home late at night.

    Maybe the best thing to do is to change the competition to weekends? What happens in Zaragoza mate?

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    I support you on this one BJ. I knew you'd have something to say about this. I mean, you've been on about this for yonks - but does anyone listen? Nnnoooooo.....

    AR

  7. #7
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510
    Weekends are not automatically more convenient for people. I'm sure for many they would be an inferior choice to the weeknight schedules which seem to be favoured at the moment, especially for an event running over multiple weeks.

  8. #8
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    Weekends are not automatically more convenient for people. I'm sure for many they would be an inferior choice to the weeknight schedules which seem to be favoured at the moment, especially for an event running over multiple weeks.
    The majority of players dont support the grade matches being played on the weekend.
    Of the 51 members who responded to the particular question in the Opinion Survey regarding weekend Grade matches only 13 were in favour. The other 38 were against.

    On a related issue, of the 46 who responded to the question regarding 3 hr or 4 hr playing sessions for the Grade matches 25 wanted 4 hrs and 21 wanted 3hrs.

  9. #9
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier Gil
    Something else, isn't this tournament strong enough to be FIDE Rated? why isn't it?
    The Grade match es are played over 4 hrs genrally from 7.30pm-11.30 pm.
    Somre clubs have an earlier finishing time of 11pm. These therefore have earlier start times of 7pm.

    Therefore for them to be FIDE rated you would need a time limit of 2hrs per player for the whole game. Given I cannot recall seeing this time limit used in Australia I suspect the players would not like it.

  10. #10
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The Grade match es are played over 4 hrs genrally from 7.30pm-11.30 pm.
    Somre clubs have an earlier finishing time of 11pm. These therefore have earlier start times of 7pm.

    Therefore for them to be FIDE rated you would need a time limit of 2hrs per player for the whole game. Given I cannot recall seeing this time limit used in Australia I suspect the players would not like it.
    Aren't the grade matches currently played at 40 in 90 all in 30? If so, All in 120 is not that much of a culture shock. I certainly wouldn't be fussed either way.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Aren't the grade matches currently played at 40 in 90 all in 30?
    Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    If so, All in 120 is not that much of a culture shock. I certainly wouldn't be fussed either way.
    Since we would only consider FIDE rating the Open Division, we would only change the time control for that Division.

  12. #12
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Since we would only consider FIDE rating the Open Division, we would only change the time control for that Division.
    As FIDE push their minimum rating down further and further I imagine the requirement might also come to do a similiar thing for the U2000. and later in the U1800, and so on.

    As I said, I don't think it is that big a deal that too many people will worry about. The difference between the current time control and all-in-120 is minor.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    CC Candidate Master Javier Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia or Spain.
    Posts
    134
    Most team events are held over the weekend in Spain, but I think this happens so for cultural reasons. (many people work till 8 p.m).
    We usually play on Saturdays at 4 p.m. (lower divisions play on Sunday mornings, but this is probably due to venue limitations).
    Time controls have changed over the years... 6 hour sessions used to be the standard time controls, but now, in the highest division, they are:

    2 hours for each player for the whole game, with a 30 seconds time increment for every single move.

    Our federation implemented a change a few years ago which we thought would not be very popular at all: apart from communicating the results, all team delegates now have to send a file (pgn or chessbase) with all the games played by his team members. If we don't, there's a penalty of 10$, which increases by 1 extra dollar for every day that passes without having sent the file.
    Most people found this decission quite outrageous, but surprisingly, over the last couple of years people are no longer talking about it now, and actually found this decission quite useful: players can download the games from the federation site soon after the games are played. This year the federation collected less than 20$ on penalties.
    From a "chess history" perspective, I think it is vital that games be recorded like this. It also helps people to prepare their games a little better.
    Last edited by Javier Gil; 06-08-2004 at 11:20 PM.
    International Master and Professional Chess Coach.
    Website: http://www.chess.clinic
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9X...rWCy7TSkIXvpYQ

  14. #14
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055

    NSWCA Superleague proposed!

    I've said this before but I'll say it again. Why not leave the bulk of the NSWCA Sydney Grades as is, but move the Open to weekends.

    Tell me Bill,
    1. Have you published all of the data from the survey you quote from
    2. What would be the stats based on say players rated 1800 and over only?
    3. What is your estimate of additional players/teams arising from a new weekend competition (10 rounds, open teams only)

    I feel sure there could be 10 teams or more (one per club) in an open NSWCA Superleague event, possible including Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong and others. This is better than 5 or 6 at present. Also, teams could be increased in size from 4 to perhaps 6, 7 or more per team. Possible female board and junior boards?

    Brian Jones (Koala Chess Club)

  15. #15
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    I've said this before but I'll say it again. Why not leave the bulk of the NSWCA Sydney Grades as is, but move the Open to weekends.

    Tell me Bill,
    1. Have you published all of the data from the survey you quote from
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    2. What would be the stats based on say players rated 1800 and over only?
    I only have the totals for each question and not the actual forms.
    I therefore dont know the answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    3. What is your estimate of additional players/teams arising from a new weekend competition (10 rounds, open teams only)
    It is my understanding this idea of having the Open teams play on the weekend was canvassed a few years back and was not a goer.
    Most players did not want to play on the weekend.

    On the question of the length of the City of Sydney/State Championship, 22 wanted it one round per week, 18 wanted it 2 rounds per week, 4 wanted it played over 3 successive weekends and 7 wanted the "Jones" option of 5 consecutive days including 3 working days.

    Therefore where do you get the 9 weeks needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    I feel sure there could be 10 teams or more (one per club) in an open NSWCA Superleague event, possible including Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong and others. This is better than 5 or 6 at present. Also, teams could be increased in size from 4 to perhaps 6, 7 or more per team. Possible female board and junior boards?
    I seriously doubt those clubs you mentioned could field an Open team that would be in any way competitive with the current 5-6 teams that play at present.
    With the exception of the Canterbury teams virtually all the other players were over 2100.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NSW Grade Matches
    By Lucena in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 11:49 AM
  2. Desperate and dateless: NSW Club Teams
    By PHAT in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 13-04-2004, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •