Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Rookie

When and by whom was chess invented?

Well, I am just curious as to how long chess has been around for and who invented the game. Can anyone answer my questions? It is a challenge 8).

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    It was created thousands of years ago by India and it was called Chathurangam.

CC Rookie
    I need to get better at chess. It's a good party trick to know
    Brian

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    http://www.chesskit.com/tactics/

Many tricks for partys

CC Rookie

Chess history

It's interesting that chess has been around for a while but who contrived the term chess? And on that matter where does "check mate" come from? Any ideas?

CC Rookie
    Ah thats a good question i will be interested in the answer aswell

8)

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    It was created thousands of years ago by India and it was called Chathurangam.
    WOW, Jeo you impress me, you are so knowledgeable .

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    That information is just off the top of my head. Im sure there is much more info about this.

CC Rookie
    I think Jeo is correct.

CC Rookie
    I always thought it was China, but im not sure... :?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    China has a variation of chess, but I doubt that they invented it.

CC Candidate Master
    thats correct, india did invent chess. the chinese had a variation...
    checkmate!!

Actually there were many "proto-chess" games that have their origins lost in unrecorded history, however the first recogniseable version of chess (ie close to its current form) originated in India, at about the 12th century. The Chinese variant seems to have been an early branch-off which maintained the essence of the game (two opposing armies meet for battle under specified conditions), this led to the Eastern versions (Chinese Chess and Shogi -Japanese). The west adopted the Indian system and moulded it to suit their own feudal system.

The problem with chess history is that so many ancient games have been discovered that share similar properties that it is impossible to say which are the predecessors of modern chess and which are simply coincidentally alike. Furthermore it is difficult to say whether chess even began as a game, or rather a tactical planning device for wars.

Many questions are asked about the history of chess, but it is probably best if we leave that to other people and just enjoy the game.

CC Rookie

Interesting Story !! Please don't miss this one !!

Hi,

I am giving the following story from Chessbase:

Once upon a time in the East, a wise Brahmin named Sissa invented a wonderful game called Chaturanga. The Sanskrit word refers to the four arms or divisions which formed the typical Indian army in Vedic times: elephants, cavalry, chariots, and infantry. It was played on an ancient board named "vastu purusha mandala", which was the mythical board of 8 x 8 squares used by antic architects to design the plan of the cities. The board representing the universe was redefined by Indian players as a board game under the secular name of "ashtapada".

At this time of its invention there was concern about the prevalance of gambling games using dice. A great number of his people were playing for high stakes and becoming addicted to these games of pure luck.

One day the Indian King (Rajah) Balhait summoned Sissa and requested of the wise man to create a game which would require pure mental skill and oppose the teaching of games in which chance (luck) decides the outcome by the throw of dice. Moreover, the king requested that this new game should also have the ability to enhance the mental qualities of prudence, foresight, valor, judgment, endurance, circumspection, and analytical and reasoning ability.

Sissa produced Chaturanga. One of the popular myths of chess tells of him being asked by his king what reward he wanted for such a fine game. Sissa replied that he wanted one grain of wheat for the first square of the board, two for the second, four for the third, eight for the fourth, and so on to the 64th square. The king was astonished and annoyed by the excessive modesty of his counsellor, but it turned out that the number of grains he owed him was 18,445,744,073,709,551,515. That is more than the current production of the entire world for hundreds of years!

Chaturanga was a wargame, the first to borrow explicitly and extensively from the vocabulary of military conflict. Today the battle metaphors and the warfare symbolism are not so apparent, but they continue to be imprinted in what is a highly aggressive intellectual activity.

Please follow the link http://www.chessbase.com/columns/column.asp?pid=166 for the complete story.

Hope this helps!!

CC Rookie
    I'd also like to add two facts:

Chess was invented over 1400 years ago.

There are more books on chess than on any other sport in the world.
    Regards,
    King

Thread Information