CC Rookie

Info on this defence?

PGN Viewer

What is the name?

Is it normal for white to take on 3. dxc6?

What are the most common and/or what do you think are the best moves after 3.... Nxc6

Anything I should know when playing this?

Any good books, ebooks or site on this defence? (besides youtube and wikipedia)

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by **Luisin**
    PGN Viewer

What is the name?
    Usually you can find the names of openings easily by entering moves in Google. I am not familiar with this one but it seems to be called the Blackburne gambit (note that there are other Blackburne gambits like the famous "Blackburne Shilling Gambit"). I have also seen the name Blackburne-Kloesterboer gambit but that seems to apply to 3...e5. It doesn't really matter what it is called.

Is it normal for white to take on 3. dxc6?
    Suspect so as there is bound to be a reason why 2...c6 is not often played and the fact that it loses a pawn with negligible compensation after 3.dxc6 is most likely it. After all, all Black really gets is one tempo.

If white for some reason did not want to take, white could play 3.d4 and transpose into an Exchange Caro-Kann or 3.c4 and transpose into a Panov-Botvinnik.

What are the most common and/or what do you think are the best moves after 3.... Nxc6
    4.Nf3 is better than 4.Bb5 as 4.Bb5 allows an immediate ...Qd5 forcing white to take the knight because of the threat on g2.

Anything I should know when playing this?
    It is probably rubbish. Blackburne did win with it once but that was because he was Blackburne. Strong players virtually always play 2...Qxd5 or 2...Nf6 and there are bound to be very good reasons for that.

That said, pretty much any obscure gambit with virtually no games by serious players will have a fanbase of addicts who use it to beat opponents simply by knowing far more about it than they do.

Any good books, ebooks or site on this defence? (besides youtube and wikipedia)
    I doubt it. If you want to play a sharp gambit in the Scandinavian try the Icelandic Gambit (1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. c4 e6) or the Portuguese (3.d4 Bg4).

I found a message here by a guy who tested 2...c6 in an engine tournament and claims that because Black scored 5.5/12 in his engine tournament the line is playable. But clearly the results have more to do with his engines being of wildly differing strengths than with the merits of the opening.

CC Rookie
    you answered everything!

I tried googling it and I read about the portuguesse and icelandic and was planning on checking it out along with the Blackburne gambit in the weekend(now) but I didnt find anything on the Blackburne Gambit but you gave me enough input. I think for me 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 will be the defence.

Wasn't expecting such a good reply, thanks

Thread Information