Page 110 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1692
  1. #1636
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    The way that some people carry on about American politics is a good illustration of the meaning of the American term "Get a life.".

    Of course it's open to members either to not read the threads concerned or to hide posts from any especially egregious offender(s). However it seems that this ability is being circumvented by the Shoutbox being used as a supplementary debating forum, which has the problem of obscuring legitimate shouts. So I would like to propose that American politics be banned from the Shoutbox - or all non-domestic politics or all politics if that would be easier. I would further propose that it be enforced by zero tolerance, i.e. no second chances or appeals, just immediate suspension.
    I can understand if you do not like how it should be modded is ? But the last chess shout was on 22/11 by Leon Sandler, I have noticed that on occasions the SB will keep the same shout on top for days at a time well I don't consider that a good look either which is this case would 6 days. Over activity is better than inactivity. At least politics is about serious issues and the particular recent topic we ODed on in the long term is also crucial for Australia.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  2. #1637
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    The way that some people carry on about American politics is a good illustration of the meaning of the American term "Get a life.".
    We were discussing the impeachment (and possible removal) of a US President - a major issue which has dominated media coverage in Australia. That doesn't mean it belongs in the Shoutbox, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Of course it's open to members either to not read the threads concerned or to hide posts from any especially egregious offender(s). However it seems that this ability is being circumvented by the Shoutbox being used as a supplementary debating forum, which has the problem of obscuring legitimate shouts. So I would like to propose that American politics be banned from the Shoutbox - or all non-domestic politics or all politics if that would be easier. I would further propose that it be enforced by zero tolerance, i.e. no second chances or appeals, just immediate suspension.
    I don't believe that there were any legitimate chess shouts over the period in question. As AntiChrist points out, if there's no chess activity in the Shoutbox over an extended period, it's not surprising if non-chess shouts start appearing.

    But I have no objection to a ban on political discussions in the Shoutbox.

  3. #1638
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    We were discussing the impeachment (and possible removal) of a US President - a major issue which has dominated media coverage in Australia. That doesn't mean it belongs in the Shoutbox, of course.

    I don't believe that there were any legitimate chess shouts over the period in question. As AntiChrist points out, if there's no chess activity in the Shoutbox over an extended period, it's not surprising if non-chess shouts start appearing.

    But I have no objection to a ban on political discussions in the Shoutbox.
    Politics is okay in the SB depending on how it is presented. I think some lines that are show stoppers deserve coverage, a recent example being "the Russian hacking was a digital Pearl Harbour". Something a bit smart can be eye catching but sniping at each other is not good PR. KB has left the door a bit open for me and that is a good decision - he doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But nothing is worse than the same shout being up for a week - the place appears in the coffin. As some Yank famously stated "those born with fire in the belly find the calm boring".
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  4. #1639
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    12,102
    Richard Voon's passing thread has been hijacked by completely irrelevant topics.
    That's unfair for his memory.
    I 'd suggest PeterJansen's interesting reminiscence to be transferred to some other thread
    such as Australian chess history or LLoyd Fell related threads.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

    In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

  5. #1640
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,186
    Should there be a rule that if someone states they are not talking to you then you should not be allowed to address or mention them? In person we probably wouldn't attempt to communicate
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  6. #1641
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,287
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Should there be a rule that if someone states they are not talking to you then you should not be allowed to address or mention them? In person we probably wouldn't attempt to communicate
    No. This is a public forum and so someone is free to comment on what someone else has said even if the other person has asked them not to or isn't talking to them. If a poster doesn't like another posters posts they can put that poster on ignore (preferably without gloating about it.)

    The exception is private messages. We have at least once taken someone's PM rights away because they ignored a request from another member to not PM them again. That's not to say we would always do so. If A sends B a PM listing 100 ways in which B is a loser and closes it with "oh by the way don't PM me again" then that's not valid.

  7. #1642
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,186
    But when the said mute poster is conversing me in third person terms in the shoutbox I don't know whether it is proper for me to reply or not.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  8. #1643
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,287
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    But when the said mute poster is conversing me in third person terms in the shoutbox I don't know whether it is proper for me to reply or not.
    You might want to be sure they are in fact conversing with you and not others discussing the same subject at the same time, especially if you're going to start on a 12-shout reply that might just be you talking to yourself. (I've deleted the last one and may delete others.) I can see no evidence that any of ER's shouts since 26/11 are clearly in reply to you or referencing you.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 15-12-2019 at 04:05 PM.

  9. #1644
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    You might want to be sure they are in fact conversing with you and not others discussing the same subject at the same time, especially if you're going to start on a 12-shout reply that might just be you talking to yourself. (I've deleted the last one and may delete others.) I can see no evidence that any of ER's shouts since 26/11 are clearly in reply to you or referencing you.
    Ah OK I see what all that is about now. On the reasonable assumption that he was referring to you and a certain famous game here involving a writemove incident then yes you were at liberty to reply.

  10. #1645
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,287
    And indeed I have now deleted the shouts as his shouts were severely inappropriate for the shoutbox. Apologies for being slow to pick up what all that was about.

  11. #1646
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    12,102
    Is this warning official? I am asking because it doesn't seem to appear on my records!
    I posted this on the shoutbox too since being in a hurry I couldn't locate this thread!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

    In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

  12. #1647
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,287
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Is this warning official? I am asking because it doesn't seem to appear on my records!
    I posted this on the shoutbox too since being in a hurry I couldn't locate this thread!
    There is some kind of system for tallying moderation warnings against a user using the software but we don't use it. (Among other things I'm not certain if those infractions are invisible to all other non-moderator users.)

    Anything posted on the moderation decisions thread is an official warning to anyone it may apply to.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 16-12-2019 at 04:39 PM.

  13. #1648
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,186
    My compliant is that you proved that my moves in the game are only 4th or 5th rate - thanks very much. I suppose I can only play what is against me. I would not mind opening a frank and fearless present for Crissie.
    Last edited by antichrist; 16-12-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  14. #1649
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,287
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    My compliant is that you proved that my moves in the game are only 4th or 5th rate - thanks very much.
    It doesn't mean they're bad, just that the 3100-ish strength computer thinks a few others are slightly better. The only move in the game it thought was a significant error was after the game was continuing on the assumption that Rxc4 had been played when it was later established that this wasn't the case.

  15. #1650
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    12,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    There is some kind of system for tallying moderation warnings against a user using the software but we don't use it. (Among other things I'm not certain if those infractions are invisible to all other non-moderator users.)

    Anything posted on the moderation decisions thread is an official warning to anyone it may apply to.
    ok thanks.
    Now two more questions.
    1) Is the length of the "long holiday" from the shoutbox, since according to initial wording the warning
    refers to sb only, decided according to the seriousness of the breach ie are there set sentences?
    2) In the case when member A is receiving unwanted and unsolicited private messages from member B does member A
    i) communicate his complaint directly to member B?
    ii) posts his complaint here in this thread?
    iii) PMs or emails moderators about it?
    iv) ignores the whole thing and moves on?
    Thanks in advance
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

    In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •