Page 107 of 108 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1612
    In the case if Nazi an Commo thread, I would like to compare that with aspects of another thread that has the "ultimate" protection because I consider them similar positions but is a landmine for me to attempt.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    As I keep having to delete off-topic posts (just deleted another one) it may be useful that you remember you have this thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....pic-Bin/page15

(same conditions apply as for analogies thread)

Hi Boss, at that place I was barred from if a thread didn't attract much attention then after a while they would delete - not a bad idea to trim many dead branches.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Hi Boss, at that place I was barred from if a thread didn't attract much attention then after a while they would delete - not a bad idea to trim many dead branches.
    We generally don't do that here - it's a waste of effort, it mucks up the stats and there's no need to. If there's some special reason to remove an old thread from view we can do so.

CC Grandmaster
    I support kicking all Folau discussions into a separate thread - although there are a lot of posts involved, so it may be too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I support kicking all Folau discussions into a separate thread - although there are a lot of posts involved, so it may be too much work.
    It's very easy when it's just going through and checking them all when it's clear which posts are to be split, even if there are hundreds.

The difficult thread splits are the ones where there are a lot of posts that are about 10% on topic and 90% not, and where there is a lot of wandering back and forth on and off topic.

If the thread is non chess have you gauged posters' opinions as to whether they mind it going off-topic?

CC Grandmaster
    If the thread is non chess have you gauged posters' opinions as to whether they mind it going off-topic?
    I don't mind a thread going off-topic, but I am in favour of corralling runaway off-topic posts into a separate thread. You should try reading an unthreaded blog (like Pollbludger) where every topic is mixed together - it's not pretty!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    ... antichrist was the offender ...
    An excellent example of a tautology

May I post in Richard Voon thread how during a gambling game of chess he was about to be attacked with a chair so he rushed in with 3 quick jabs to the head and he won the fight as well as the $10?
    Last edited by antichrist; 15-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Posts deleted

Deleted off-topic tangent started by antichrist about euthanasia of severely impaired babies. This is clearly a different issue to cases where the mother has postpartum depression but the baby is presumably fine, and because antichrist continually sends threads off-topic I am erring on the side of deleting his posts where they cause severe thread drift.

Any discussion of this may be had in the Help and Feedback section only.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My side of is that when someone makes an empathic statement that it should be examined and if possible challenged by exceptions or mitigating circumstances. When I dabbled in philosophy, debates would go into related areas and NEVER were they censored or stopped due to off topic or thread drift. Like Charles Darwin's evolution "tree" branches shoot off here and there. Also like in chess when an opening transforms into a obscure off-shoot that requires intensive analysis to know best knowledge.

Another point was that an argument had to be "internally" and "externally" consistent (my terms). That is the principle could be examined in all situations ( considered off topics here) in an attempt to erode the argument.

Finally (hopefully), in my last Shout I "equate" suicide with voluntary euthanasia - a bit of a jump and poetic license but it shows a possible connection for discussion purposes. No one has complained and the sky has not fallen in.
    Last edited by antichrist; 15-08-2019 at 08:56 PM.

My side of is that when someone makes an empathic statement that it should be examined and if possible challenged by exceptions or mitigating circumstances.
    You weren't doing this; you were just jumping in on something that sounded vaguely similar to something you have banged on about before in order to bang on about the same thing again. It wasn't relevant either to the subject of the thread (which is basically claims of a breakdown in law and order resulting from supposedly lenient sentencing and bail practices) or to the comment it was made in reply to (which addressed the claim that too many criminals were getting off by pleading mental illness with a relevant counter-example).

When I dabbled in philosophy, debates would go into related areas and NEVER were they censored or stopped due to off topic or thread drift.
    Philosophy was one of my undergrad majors. It is pretty much like any other university subject. Generally when someone started going way off topic in tutorials, the tutor would drag the discussion quickly back to something relevant while the rest of the class rolled their eyes at the (typically) mature-age student responsible for the off-topic digression. And anyone who responded to a philosophy exam question or assignment by addressing a side-topic and really not answering a clearly expressed question would generally not get a good mark at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    You weren't doing this; you were just jumping in on something that sounded vaguely similar to something you have banged on about before in order to bang on about the same thing again. It wasn't relevant either to the subject of the thread (which is basically claims of a breakdown in law and order resulting from supposedly lenient sentencing and bail practices) or to the comment it was made in reply to (which addressed the claim that too many criminals were getting off by pleading mental illness with a relevant counter-example).

Philosophy was one of my undergrad majors. It is pretty much like any other university subject. Generally when someone started going way off topic in tutorials, the tutor would drag the discussion quickly back to something relevant while the rest of the class rolled their eyes at the (typically) mature-age student responsible for the off-topic digression. And anyone who responded to a philosophy exam question or assignment by addressing a side-topic and really not answering a clearly expressed question would generally not get a good mark at all.
    Staying on topic I have replied here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....129#post452129

May I post in Richard Voon thread how during a gambling game of chess he was about to be attacked with a chair so he rushed in with 3 quick jabs to the head and he won the fight as well as the $10?
    I am tempted to take no news as good news

Excuse me Sir but I am bursting to deposit some words of wisdom in Chess Whatever - I could suffer a miscarriage at any moment.
    Last edited by antichrist; 28-08-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Thread Information