Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1540
    CC Grandmaster
    Before there is yet more thread splitting ('Tribal Societies' seems on the verge of doing so), should there be a special 'Michael Baron' thread containing all the various threads started/dominated by Michael on 'Politics'? Because there does seem to be some overlap between these threads - apart from the presence of Michael Baron, of course

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Before there is yet more thread splitting ('Tribal Societies' seems on the verge of doing so), should there be a special 'Michael Baron' thread containing all the various threads started/dominated by Michael on 'Politics'? Because there does seem to be some overlap between these threads - apart from the presence of Michael Baron, of course
    We could even have a subforum!

I've noticed the above from time to time with other posters or sets of posters - that there are certain slush points that threads tend to get steered into and frequently bogged in more or less no matter what their starting matter. If I set up enough of these things I suspect I'll eventually cover all known strands of Baronism (there probably aren't all that many) and eventually wherever the discussion goes it can be shunted into a thread that already exists.

So long as posters are not blatantly threadjacking into irrelevant subjects it's OK if discussions drift off topic. One of the problems is that sometimes when posters post excerpts of media op-eds they try too hard to fit them into an existing thread they are not really relevant to instead of just starting a new one. From time to time I've closed or merged new threads because they were unnecessary duplicates but this hasn't been that common (antichrist excepted).

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to split the Western-superiority strand from the tribal societies thread. They are sort-of related. They may well drift apart and get split though.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Idledim's last two posts in the "Same-sex marriage" forum seem to be in violation of this decision:
    Some posters are reminded that the "no illegal material" on this site includes material that breaches copyright, and also that many posters find the posting of long cut-and-pasted articles irritating and boring, especially if they are at a tangent to the main subject of the thread.

Posters are therefore requested not to lift copyrighted material in full from other sources. Quoting a reasonable portion of an article for comment purposes is OK. Material cut and pasted from other sites will be assumed copyright unless the mods have reason to believe otherwise.

The moderators reserve the right to delete, in full and without notice, any cut-and-paste jobs that are suspected of breaching copyright. Very long cut and pastes may also be deleted even if they do not breach copyright.
    I don't think The Australian would appreciate us destroying their business model, especially given their recent financial problems.

Yes. Full site policies on copy-and-pastes of copyright material may be found in the sticky thread here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....on-please-read

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KB
    I have just edited a sigfile that was in breach of the following rule
    Don't have second thoughts. I'm not sure who you are referring to, but JS's siglines are as a rule quite offensive imho. I mean, he's on my ignore list, but offensive sig lines don't create a nice experience for casual visitors. People come here looking for info and feedback and chess related topics and tournaments, and they are instantly abused by the sigs of some people, who occasionally post in such forums of course.

And on a simliar note, would it be possible to make the "New Posts" search give less priority to non-chess threads? The titles of these are often deliberately provocative and in some ways offensive, sadly, even when posted in an accurate way. This would also give a better impression for the common Chess-related visitor.

Just My 2 cents for making the site more friendly.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; 24-08-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Don't have second thoughts. I'm not sure who you are referring to, but JS's siglines are as a rule quite offensive imho. I mean, he's on my ignore list, but offensive sig lines don't create a nice experience for casual visitors. People come here looking for info and feedback and chess related topics and tournaments, and they are instantly abused by the sigs of some people, who occasionally post in such forums of course.
    This has been a tricky matter in the past. The current rule is:

* The moderators/admins reserve the right to delete any sig files they deem to be inflammatory or controversial. This includes but is not limited to criticism of other members, this site or its moderation/administration.

We could certainly ban political/religious sigfiles but there should probably in that case be something close to consensus among members with an interest in the subject that all such sigfiles be disallowed (whether left/right/Christian/atheist/whatever). As I use my own sigfile to link to my politics site - which is mostly harmless but now and then provocative - I would probably want the other moderator(s) to make the primary decision on that one.

And on a simliar note, would it be possible to make the "New Posts" search give less priority to non-chess threads? The titles of these are often deliberately provocative and in some ways offensive, sadly, even when posted in an accurate way. This would also give a better impression for the common Chess-related visitor.
    Good suggestion. As far as I'm aware there is no way within the vB software to change the display of New Posts in this manner. I think however that a poster can stop non-chess threads showing in their New Posts search manually each time they check New Posts if they first go to Non-Chess and mark that forum as read. Other mods may be aware of something.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    My understanding is that the New Posts functionality could be changed to not display posts from certain forums but that would be annoying to people posting in those forums and would also require changing code with is problematic since those sorts of changes are typically lost when upgrading the vBulletin software.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    ...Good suggestion. As far as I'm aware there is no way within the vB software to change the display of New Posts in this manner. I think however that a poster can stop non-chess threads showing in their New Posts search manually each time they check New Posts if they first go to Non-Chess and mark that forum as read. Other mods may be aware of something.
    What about if the Politics and Religion and Science threads were restricted, as the Coffee Lounge is?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    What about if the Politics and Religion and Science threads were restricted, as the Coffee Lounge is?
    I'm pretty sure that would work but then those sections would no longer be Google-able. Sometimes Google is actually better for finding old content on the forum than the forum's own search engine.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KB
    Good suggestion. As far as I'm aware there is no way within the vB software to change the display of New Posts in this manner.
    Ok - I'm no web programmer. I was just thinking of how Talkchess split up their forums into a few sections, and it is very easy to go to the "Computer Chess Club: General Topics" new posts and ignore the other sections (if desired of course).

Thread Information