Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 1,741 to 1,753 of 1753
    The new thread is locked, not sure if intentional?
    ECONOMIC RESPONSES TO CORONAVIRUS
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    The new thread is locked, not sure if intentional?
    ECONOMIC RESPONSES TO CORONAVIRUS
    Thanks, that was a mistake. I forgot that if I split from a locked thread then the new thread will be locked as well. Open for business now.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for moderation of any kind including thread changes must be made in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

I think it is appropriate to merge the two threads regarding Arianne Caoili into one thread. This would then contain when all of us first heard of her car accident and then follows along until news broke of her passing.

Otherwise, I do not see much purpose in the first thread. I had always taken it that the original thread would be used for updates, good or bad, and unfortunately the latest update is the worst news.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    I think it is appropriate to merge the two threads regarding Arianne Caoili into one thread. This would then contain when all of us first heard of her car accident and then follows along until news broke of her passing.

Otherwise, I do not see much purpose in the first thread. I had always taken it that the original thread would be used for updates, good or bad, and unfortunately the latest update is the worst news.
    Personally I think it's better to keep the tribute thread separate.

I think my concern is emotional - people who posted on the first thread thinking that Arianne was probably going to survive based on the information available at the time might not want their posts merged to the later thread. This might be an unfounded concern but I can't be sure, and that's why I'm inclined not to do it.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for moderation of any kind including thread changes must be made in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

I also think the 2 threads should stay separate. Such sad news.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

It may be time to re-assess the non editability of shouts. With mobile phone it is deadly easy to post in error but it cannot be corrected. Previous
    " cheating" in editing was rare and confined to very few posters.

A week ago Sprouty may have shifted the goal posts in the SB but I loved it.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    It may be time to re-assess the non editability of shouts. With mobile phone it is deadly easy to post in error but it cannot be corrected. Previous
    " cheating" in editing was rare and confined to very few posters.

A week ago Sprouty may have shifted the goal posts in the SB but I loved it.
    I think at one stage Mods could do it. Not sure if that was a previous iteration on the SB.

I think we can do without this sort of comment:

New [03-04, 13:20] ER: You'd think that racist pigs existed only on social media outlets but during the COVID-19 their despicable presence is increasing even faster than the virus. Link on Wuhan Coro thread!

I think at one stage Mods could do it. Not sure if that was a previous iteration on the SB.

New [03-04, 13:20] ER: You'd think that racist pigs existed only on social media outlets but during the COVID-19 their despicable presence is increasing even faster than the virus. Link on Wuhan Coro thread!
    I was hoping and prepared for the previous shout to survive a week out of respect.
    I think the poster complaining about pigs also calls people towelheads but that is another story maybe. Peace and love to all.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Admins and mods can in theory edit shouts but for whatever reason I can't; I can only delete them, while it is working fine for the other admins. In theory we could extend the right to edit shouts to other usergroups but I am reluctant to do it especially given that it might end up working for some users and not others.

I agree. There is generally no need for posters to use the shoutbox to advertise posts they have made on a thread, especially a non-chess thread. Also shoutbox guidelines re "strident political soapboxing" apply - though I have no issue with the content of the shout, I have deleted it.

Any chance to remove nonsensical comments about the nationality of a single hard working individual branding him as a potential terrorist from the Welfare Spending thread?
    Last edited by ER; 04-04-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Any chance to remove nonsensical comments about the nationality of a single hard working individual branding him as a potential terrorist from the Welfare Spending thread?
    Ian's final comment is off-topic. But you introduced the student's nationality into the discussion. If he was a foreign student, the visa restrictions pointed out by Ian would be very relevant to a welfare thread. As he's not, he's proof that Aussie students are just as hard-working as overseas ones, which is again relevant to the thread.

I've deleted the comment for now pending possible further consideration - I'm sure the comment was a comment about attitudes (especially of some right-wing individuals) to people from overseas and not a serious assertion that the person is or could be a terrorist. But in circumstances where enough information has been posted in earlier posts about a person who does not post here to identify them, it may be best to err on the side of caution with such comments.

Thread Information