Hybrid View

Tournament Instructions

I'm running a tournament on the weekend and as well as explaining the rules before play I'd like to post an information sheet on the rules where players can see etc. Wondering if anyone can think of anything else I should be adding.. (it's a lightning tournament). I'm adding prizes too they just haven't been finalised.

Lightning Rules

- 5 mins per side
    - Win by checkmate, Win on time and win if your opponent makes an illegal move (Edit: removed taking king).
    - Touch piece: tournament rules dictate if you touch a piece, you must move it or if you touch your opponentís piece and it is legal to capture it, you must do so. If by touching the piece it would be illegal to move it, you may make a different move.

If there is a dispute, immediately stop the clock and call the arbiter who shall settle it. The arbiterís decision is final.
    Last edited by Alan Shore; 03-08-2004 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Edit: removed taking king
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    I missed out on second place in a lightning tournament because I took my opponents king.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    I missed out on second place in a lightning tournament because I took my opponents king.
    I'm not following.. you were penalised somehow for doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    I'm not following.. you were penalised somehow for doing that?
    King capture is not allowed - it is an illegal move. Try telling that to our little juniors though. Blitz isn't the same if you can't snatch the other person's king.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    King capture is not allowed - it is an illegal move. Try telling that to our little juniors though.
    Actually, try finding a rule that forbids capturing the king - there is none. The rules were to be changed a few years ago, but the FIDE rules commission could not agree on the issue. Some thought, capturing the king was a valid way to claim an illegal move, some thought, it was an illegal move itself, and some actually thought, that the game should be declared lost for both players! So there actually is no clear rule on capturing the king in blitz at the moment; even the head of the FIDE rules commission, Geurt Gijssen thinks it is currently required to announce how this will be handled before the tournament (but doesn't say what is to be done, if this is neglected).

btw, he agrees, it should be illegal; personally, I kind of like the "both players should lose" argument, despite the obvious practical difficulties. It teaches players to correctly claim illegal moves, but doesn't reward the opponent for having made an illegal move himself.

Interesting jay vee. Anyway, until I'm absolutely certain I will not announce king captures in my conditions but if it arises I will still award the game to the player capturing the king. I guess that's the beauty of running a tournament, what you say goes

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Yes. It was the final game of the tournament.

I took my opponents king in the endgame and Peter.C said that I am not allowed to do that and declared that I lost because of it.

Well, holy potatoes batman, I had no idea. I think it's a shame, it was a very satisfying thing to take a king. When was this rule changed?

And Jeo that's pretty diabolical.. I reckon if the arbiter didn't make that clear at the beginning of the tournament you still should have been awarded the win. Random rule changes like that have to be announced...

Well, holy potatoes batman, I had no idea. I think it's a shame, it was a very satisfying thing to take a king. When was this rule changed?

And Jeo that's pretty diabolical.. I reckon if the arbiter didn't make that clear at the beginning of the tournament you still should have been awarded the win. Random rule changes like that have to be announced...
    Quite some years now - I think this is the 3rd year we've used it in Canberra.

I(this means you may take your opponentís king).
    im sure ill get corrected if im wrong, but the blitz rules were changed a while ago. It is now illegal under fide rules to capture your opponents king. Basically the correct thing to do is when you notice your opponent has left his/her king in check, they have played an illegal move and you claim the game like you would for any other illegal move. Point out the illegal move and claim the game.

The reason for the rule change i imagine is that with pieces going everywhere with a few seconds remaining, it wouldnt be that difficult to take your opponents king, but you werent actually legally able to do it.

Now all you do is stop the game and point out the illegal move and claim the game.

Thread Information