Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    Ok.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I'll give people a few days to get games entered. Either post them here on PM them to me if you are having trouble using the PGN codes.

All the entries should be played in the month of October.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    I had the good fortune to be invited to the inaugural Eureka tournament in December 2008, which was restricted to current and former (such as myself) Ballarat Chess Club members (I had been a member as a junior back in 1990).

In round four, I found myself up against the reigning Ballarat club champ (and president), Patrick Cook.

Pat has been a good friend to me, and acted as a mentor back when I was a junior, (a role he has performed for others)... however, when it comes to over the board, there is no holding back!

White: approx 1600 ACF
    Black: approx 1800 ACF

PGN Viewer

The opening was a bit strange, with both sides trying to get each other out of "book"... (I was facing a new position after White's 5th move).

Eventually I started gaining the upper hand, winning a pawn in the endgame with queens still on the board, but I still couldn't find a way to break through. (It's one thing to achieve a superior position against Pat, it's another thing to beat him!)

We reached the position after White's 35th move, and it was very difficult to me to see how to proceed. After shuffling pieces back and forward for a few moves, I couldn't see a way to maintain my aggressive position, whilst at the same time stop him from make threats against my king with 39.Qe8.

Eventually I found the move, 39... Bd8. This move goes against the grain of my thought processes as it seems to be a psychological concession, moving a piece from an attacking role (the bishop currently putting pressure on the White king's position) to a purely defensive one. However, it transforms the nature of the whole position - it stops all of White's counterplay and suddenly Black is able to pursue his attack (the bishop on d8 even joins in by protecting the g5 square).

Bd8 is not a move I would have even considered a couple of years earlier.

The lesson I picked up from this game is that when looking for a way to further an attack, sometimes the most aggressive move you can play is the the most defensive one.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Bd8 is not a move I would have even considered a couple of years earlier.

The lesson I picked up from this game is that when looking for a way to further an attack, sometimes the most aggressive move you can play is the the most defensive one.
    While I don't want to diminish the lesson learned from 38...Bd8 (quite often the "most aggressive" is the "most effective" and so regrouping backwards, sidewards etc. is often worth to consider), I would say that black can just go ahead and play the game continuation right away to utilize the powerful bind on the knight with 38...g5! 39.hxg5,hxg5 40.Rf6,Rxf3! 41.Rxf3,g4 42.Qc3,gxf3+ 43.Qxf3,Qxf3+ 44.Kxf3,Bd4 with quite a hopeless ending for white.

I guess I didn't say anything in my game against Ricardo Ortega about lessons learned. I must admit I think I didn't learn anything. But Ricardo should take the opportunity to learn when to use time and when not, because the biggest conceptual mistakes he made with 16...dxe5? (16...Nxd5 was the move) and 18...Qe6? (18...Qxd1+ was the move) he made the moves instantly as a reply to my move, as if they were forced moves, while they were in fact blunders. The last one didn't matter so much since he was already lost, but still it is important to learn when a move is in fact forced and so can be moved instantly, and when there might be hidden alternatives. On the contrary at my best moves 17.d6! and 19.Bf5! I still used a lot of time to double-check variations before making them even though I had these moves prepared as my probable response at the moment he moved. In a classic game, use your thinking time wisely, please. Not too little, not too much.

The better move 18...Qxd1+ I analyzed to winning positions this way 19.Rxd1,fxg6 (19...hxg6? 20.Qh4!,Kg7 21.Rf1+-) 20.Qe6+,Rf7 21.Bxf6,Bxf6 22.Rd7,Raf8 23.Rxb7! (with a demolished queens side, no wonder, since the queen is not there anymore!) but still black can try and push the e-pawn so it is not as easy as the game continuation.

CC International Master
    Won't keep you huys waiting. The reconstruction mission was a failure. I apologise perhaps I'll get something good from the November rapid.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Won't keep you guys waiting. The reconstruction mission was a failure. I apologise perhaps I'll get something good from the November rapid.
    Too bad it wasn't on video, Saragossa better luck next time.

CC Candidate Master michael.mcguirk's Avatar
    I don't like double posting, but just realised this So I'll throw it in here. http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10982
    Destroying Robinson's Grob, one Compaq computer at a time.

CC Candidate Master
    Great it is finally taking off. I won't enter this one cause I haven't played recently. Well I have but I have een playing crap. WIll wait till december

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    I had the good fortune to be invited to the inaugural Eureka tournament in December 2008, which was restricted to current and former (such as myself) Ballarat Chess Club members (I had been a member as a junior back in 1990) ... In round four, I found myself up against the reigning Ballarat club champ (and president), Patrick Cook ... White: approx 1600 ACF Black: approx 1800 ACF

PGN Viewer

It looks like Jesper's 38...g5! line is convincing as White doesn't have time to try for a perpetual by saccing on f7.

In addition 7...d4 looks pretty enticing. I think Black has good chances of seizing the initiative because White can't capture on d4 (either once or twice) due to the N fork on c2.

CC Candidate Master
    Just played this game, and im very proud of it

Alexrules01 (1571) - rehamm (1716)
    Rated game, 5m + 0s Main Playing Hall, 29.11.2009

PGN Viewer

Forgot to add the lesson learnt
    I was with my coach yesterday, and he said that I know how to move he peices into good positions, but can't take advantage after. I think that this game showcases what I am missing in my games
    Last edited by Alexrules01; 29-11-2009 at 10:55 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Nice win, especially the finish. I took a liberty to add few comments:

PGN Viewer

For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks Igor for the annotations

The 19.Qf3 looks good. I missed Qxf7 when I was finding a place for my queen

With d6, probably with more time I may have chosen a different move, but being a 5 minute game, having less time I just wanted to make it ugly

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrules01
    Thanks Igor for the annotations

The 19.Qf3 looks good. I missed Qxf7 when I was finding a place for my queen

With d6, probably with more time I may have chosen a different move, but being a 5 minute game, having less time I just wanted to make it ugly
    I did not realise it was a blitz game, my apologies.
    IMO blitz should never be judged on the same level as "slow" games.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    IMO blitz should never be judged on the same level as "slow" games.
    Agreed.

Generally if people want to play something that is actually worth analysing afterwards they should play 15 mins bare minimum, ideally considerably longer.

Thread Information