Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I think black's best reply to Qc3+ is actually ...Nd4 but with the problem knight pinned black doesn't have the complications that developed in the game.

Oh, and I wouldn't have resigned the final position, not even while surfing a 10 second increment. Rxf2 Bxf2, Rh6 - definite practical chances to swindle a draw from that position. I find that quite a lot of players resign on the spot in response to an unexpected fork when it is better to analyse it out, or at least play the forced reply quickly and have a look at the position again next move.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 07-06-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I think black's best reply to Qc3+ is actually ...Nd4 but with the problem knight pinned black doesn't have the complications that developed in the game.
    Yes, only some annoyance left. If 26.Nxd6, then ... Qf6 with a double threat on the N and ... Ne2. So White should prefer Rae1 guarding both the N (which prevents the unpinning moves ... Qg7/f6) and the forking square e2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Oh, and I wouldn't have resigned the final position, not even while surfing a 10 second increment. Rxf2 Bxf2, Rh6 - definite practical chances to swindle a draw from that position. I find that quite a lot of players resign on the spot in response to an unexpected fork when it is better to analyse it out, or at least play the forced reply quickly and have a look at the position again next move.
    Maybe some disgust at how the clearly won position went south. A hard psychological problem for humans to overcome. Karpov at his best was exceptional at playing the current position rather than worrying about previous game positions. In his case, he would defend a bad position doggedly, then when he had finally recovered, would not play a forced drawing line but try to win.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Maybe some disgust at how the clearly won position went south. A hard psychological problem for humans to overcome. Karpov at his best was exceptional at playing the current position rather than worrying about previous game positions. In his case, he would defend a bad position doggedly, then when he had finally recovered, would not play a forced drawing line but try to win.
    This (annoyance at blowing an easy win) was definitely the case and the Karpov comment is one many of us should regularly keep in mind. In this game i knew I was lost so I tried to make myself active (earlier I was totally inactive and close to zugzwang) and stir up some complications, hence 25.. Qxg5. I also thought to myself : "no-one ever won a game by resigning."
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    Had an unusual game at the NSW Open today and wanted to share it. I'm black.

PGN Viewer

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    In fairness to Jeff I should point out that he had 3 minutes for his last 11 moves and resigned with about 30 seconds on the clock(pkus 10 sec increments). But after my ...Qxg5 I was back in the game. He had a longish think on 27 deciding if Kf3 or Kh1 was better. Kh1 would have made Rg1 harder as ..Nf2 mate would be a nice move to play.
    All in all, a facinating struggle!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Beating the French

Sarfati_FM vs. Sweetsaxymolassy

PGN Viewer

Even battening down in variations with ...f5 are too cramped, e.g. Sarfati–Johnson, North Island Champs, 1985. 13. f6 didn't occur to me immediately but then I recalled the spectacular Fischer–Benko block on f6 with a R sac.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    f5-f6 should have not been allowed.

Agreed. Experienced players play this move without much calculation, while the less experienced just think that the square f6 is covered three times and attacked only once.

If I were black I would have played exf5 with a view of defensively plonking my bishop on e6 at some point.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    If I were black I would have played exf5 with a view of defensively plonking my bishop on e6 at some point.
    Certainly better than allowing f6, but still quite difficult to defend after Nf4 followed by bringing lots of pieces to bear on the K-side. Black can't bring enough defenders over, and his Q-side play is too slow.

CC Grandmaster
    Great fighting skills by black. What a comeback after 12.d5, black's position looked lost already!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Great fighting skills by black. What a comeback after 12.d5, black's position looked lost already!
    What game do you mean?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    What game do you mean?
    Adamski's winning effort

Tremendous determination and guile on behalf of both participants.

I commend both parties for playing with great verve in their artistry.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
    Tremendous determination and guile on behalf of both participants.

I commend both parties for playing with great verve in their artistry.
    Most of the game I played like an idiot. I laughed at KB's comment that white had lots of compensation for his extra pawn!
    I only woke up after his Nxd6 blunder.
    Last edited by Adamski; 28-06-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information