Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
    PGN Viewer

Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

CC Candidate Master
    Posting here (upon request) the following game from the 2017 WA Championship, which was presented in David Ellis's column in the West Australian newspaper this week.

Annotations in the PGN below are mine: David gives some of these in his column, together with some notes of his own.

[Event "2017 WA Championship"]
    [Site "North Woodvale PS"]
    [Date "2017.06.04"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Maris, Robert"]
    [Black "Hardegen, Andrew"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteRating "1957"]
    [BlackRating "2078"]
    [ECO "D15m"]
    [EventDate "2017.05.21"]

PGN Viewer

EDIT: Having issues with the PGN viewer. Here is the file: Rd 3 - Maris, Robert vs Hardegen, A - 0-1.pgn
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 10-03-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

It's very fiddly. Doesn't take too much to seize up the play-through. I still haven't fixed everything below. One thing was a typo: 8.Qb3 when Qb6 was meant. Maybe try reposting first without any notes, then if that works, edit with first-level notes in square brackets, and once that's working, try the next level in round brackets.

[Date "2017.06.04"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Maris, Robert"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteRating "1957"]
    [BlackRating "2078"]
    [ECO "D15m"]
    [EventDate "2017.05.21"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 14-03-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

CC Candidate Master
    [Date "2017.06.04"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Maris, Robert"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteRating "1957"]
    [BlackRating "2078"]
    [ECO "D15m"]
    [EventDate "2017.05.21"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 14-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    It's very fiddly. Doesn't take too much to seize up the play-through. I still haven't fixed everything below. One thing was a typo: 8.Qb3 when Qb6 was meant. Maybe try reposting first without any notes, then if that works, edit with first-level notes in square brackets, and once that's working, try the next level in round brackets.
    Thanks, Capablanca-Fan. Have got it working without notes, in the post above. I will try now to edit the notes back in as you suggest.

EDIT: Notes now included.

One thing I discovered is that on returning to the parent line after any parenthetical, you need to include the move number in the first move of the continuation. This was the main problem with my PGN, in several places.

E.g. 1.e4 (1.d4 d5 =) ...e6 = will not work. It is required to write 1.e4 (1.d4 d5 =) 1...e6 = .
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 14-03-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Glad it finally worked. Quite a tense game; although White could remove Black's K-side P cover, he couldn't get to the K, while Black's Q-side play proved too strong.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

A win and loss in sharp games … post-game notes assisted by "Tarrasch" and Stockfish

[Event "www.ChessWorld.net server game"]
    [Date "2018.5.22"]
    [White "FeatherStrike"]
    [Black "Sarfati_FM"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [Termination "Black resigned"]
    [WhiteElo "2172"]
    [BlackElo "2371"]
    [DateLastMove "2018.5.30"]
    [ECO "C44"]

PGN Viewer

[Event "www.ChessWorld.net server game"]
    [Date "2018.5.22"]
    [White "Sarfati_FM"]
    [Black "FeatherStrike"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [Termination "Black resigned"]
    [WhiteElo "2353"]
    [BlackElo "2192"]
    [Mode "ICS"]
    [DateLastMove "2018.5.31"]
    [ECO "A45"]

PGN Viewer

Post-game notes assisted by Tarrasch, Bill Forster's chess GUI and the incorporated Stockfish.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 01-06-2018 at 09:30 AM.

I was pleased with this game on Monday, against an opponent over 200 points higher rated than me. From a terrible opening position, I got a good middle game and found a strong 53rd move.

Barker_Adams_2018.pgn

[Event "Rooty Hill Open FIDE Rated"]
    [Site "Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club"]
    [Date "2018.06.25"]
    [Round "2"]
    [White "Barker, David"]
    [Black "Adams, Jonathan"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "A70"]
    [WhiteElo "1865"]
    [BlackElo "1636"]
    [Annotator "Adams,Jonathan"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Adamski; 29-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

What edits do I need to do to make the PGN viewer work? The PGN file was pasted from ChessBase 14, where I added my comments. The resultant curly brackets around my notes seem to break the PGN though.
    Last edited by Adamski; 28-06-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Always take the headers out from inside the PGN tags.

Always remove line gaps after the opening PGN tag and before the closing one.

Those two things did it for me as concerns the main moves; click on quote to see how I did it if unsure.

[Date "2018.06.25"]
    [Round "2.8"]
    [White "Barker, David"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "A70"]
    [WhiteElo "1865"]
    [BlackElo "1636"]
    [PlyCount "174"]
    [SourceVersionDate "2018.02.10"]
    PGN Viewer

Many thanks, Kevin.

[Date "2018.06.25"]
    [Round "2.8"]
    [White "Barker, David"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "A70"]
    [WhiteElo "1865"]
    [BlackElo "1636"]
    [PlyCount "174"]
    [SourceVersionDate "2018.02.10"]
    PGN Viewer

I don't you had equalized on move 31. Really, White has no real weaknesses, and one square on d4 won't make up for the exchange because Black's other pieces are not working with it. With some care, White could either work around it and prepare f4, e5, or probably the most straightforward, at the right time, give back the exchange on d4 and be a P up with good position. If the centre and K-side open up, Black might miss his B on g7.

When you won the P back on a5, it also removed a safe anchor for a N on b6, so I think you were better. White had just made weaknesses and his pieces were not working together. Some nice tactical alertness with 51... Nxd5, and you cleaned up well after that.

Great comments. Jono. Appreciate the effort.

J. Adams - Mandla, 0-1

To redress the balance, here is my loss last night, also in the Rooty Hill Open, to Blair Mandla (2122 and a CM). If I had resisted the sacrifice I may well have drawn. He told me afterwards that his second move was a line he played in his youth. I had not seen it before but came out of the opening fine.

[Site "Rooty Hill RSL"]
    [Date "2018.07.02"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Adams, Jonathan"]
    [Black "Mandla, Blair"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "A40"]
    [WhiteElo "1636"]
    [BlackElo "2122"]
    PGN Viewer

Attached Files Attached Files

Well played adamski, but I have a bit of criticism:
    I think e4 ruined your advantage a bit. The knight on c3 was doing an important job of controlling b5 while the knight on f6 was less useful, so I think it was a bad decision to trade them and f5 was quite a weak pawn and it would kind of support a knight outpost on f4. I would recommend a plan like e3, nc7, rd1, a6, bd3 (to prevent the knight from trading on e4 later on), b5, b3 (and later on ne2, nf4).
    Other than that, I agree with most of your analysis. I think 24. ra3 was quite a good move and that 25. ra5 would give black serious problems. I haven’t checked anything with an engine so I’m not sure of how good my suggestions are, but I hope my comments help

Thread Information