Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Your games (was CC game of the month thread)

I've had an awesome idea. If you think you've played some really awesome games in the last month post them here. The poster of the best game with the coolest tactics, will have the right to decide who the winner for next month.

Each game should have
    Name
    Opponents name
    Ratings
    All games should be posted in PGN format.
    Lesson learned

This sounds a bit like the photo - caption thread. Also, the game should have a good lesson. This should be taken into consideration.

Please do not post games played by top players or make up games. That will just screw up the fun of this. The game must be played by you.

Remember the award is not for the best game from one players side but a good game from both players.

A judge is not allowed to post any games.

Good luck.

Oh and there is a hall of FAME.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Who is the initial judge?

By the way this should go in Games and Analysis; I will move it there soon.

CC Candidate Master

Exclamation

I think I'll apoint a mod to do that.
    Let's ask.
    Kevin Bonham, do you want to start the judging of the comp?

Only if there are at least three entries in the first month.

Oh, and if I am the judge the best game will not necessarily have the coolest tactics.

CC Candidate Master
    Ok. Please post somebody. I think that this will be really interesting.

Hehe I WOULD if I actually had a decent game during the last month.
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC International Master
    Can a game vs the judge be entered (albeit if the guy who entered it won then his chances of winning get slimmer )?

And can they be from anywhere ie internet, corro etc because often corro games are of much higher quality (or should be).

And I also think tha 1 month is pretty constrictive. I only play competitive tournament games about once every two monthes and most of them I play bad anyways.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Can a game vs the judge be entered (albeit if the guy who entered it won then his chances of winning get slimmer )?
    Haha. This reminds me of Tas Champs 2000 when I agreed, perhaps in advance, to be a judge of the best game prize and I was on the receiving end of a crafty positional crush that caused me (white) to resign no material down in the following position because I was zugzwanged.

FEN Viewer

Well of course I had to vote for it, and the other judges did too. There's even a booklet with the position on the cover.

Games v the judge can be entered but will be viewed with a heightened degree of scepticism whatever the result.

Games can be entered from anywhere but if they are corro must be specified as such. No freestyle games as if they're really good I won't be competent to judge them and they sorta fly in the face of the spirit of the original proposal.

If not enough games are entered after a month then maybe we should extend the comp for another month and take both month's entries together.

CC International Master
    Love the bishop on c1! .

The TCA should reintroduce brilliancy prizes in local tourneys. I like it as incentive although probably positional brilliancies, I think that it can be quite easy to get too involved with "awesome" attacks and overlook the less exciting side of chess. Especially juniors.

Strangely enough I consider two of my losses to be my best games. My game vs Tony Dowden in a burnie tournament when he played a winawar and I lost a tempo but besides a little rook move played a good middlegame and for him he got this scintilating g5 move in, it was really fun. And the vs Kevin Bonham where I played a catalan and got into a fantastic nitty gritty middle game. And played some cool tactics then lost in the ending but consoled myself that the middlegame and resulting endgame were quite interesting.

Wow I just off-topic'd hard. Um yeah I'll start playing more online and hopefully get a tight game in.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Here is an entry to make up numbers.

Rincewind - Another (both in the 1750-1800 ACF rating range)
    8 September, 2009
    30 moves in 75 minutes plus 30 minutes for remainder of game

PGN Viewer

1-0

After 10 or so moves of theory I press on a little slowly perhaps (12.Nb3 is not considered best) with the Q-side plan while Black does the same on the king side. 18...gxf3 was timed very well and I wasn't sure what to make of it. In the end I decided to recapture with the rook even though that may lose a pawn or an exchange as I didn't like the position after gxf3.

In the last 10 moves my opponent was under a little time pressure. He had something like 17 minutes at the 20 move point and 10 moves to make the zeitnot. The pressure began to tell at move 24 where Rf5 was not as good as 24... d5 and unfortunately for my chances here, but fortunately for my chances in the game, most of the Black moves from then on were not best.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Oh yeah your only allowed to post 1 or 2 games a month.

CC Candidate Master
    Rincewind,
    your entry is ideal , however to maxamise your chances of winning include a lesson that you have learnt from this game.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aransandraseg
    Rincewind,
    your entry is ideal , however to maxamise your chances of winning include a lesson that you have learnt from this game.
    I've played this Mar del Plata variation a bit and my lesson from my previous game was to play 9.Nd2 which prepares f3 and prevents Ng4. I guess the queen side play in the present game was a little slow and so next time I might just play c5 earlier (even if it sacs a pawn) or get a4 in instead of the Nb3 move I played.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I've played this Mar del Plata variation a bit and my lesson from my previous game was to play 9.Nd2 which prepares f3 and prevents Ng4.
    I play Ne1 in this position, for the same reasons. I usually delay f3 until he has already played ...Nf6, hitting e4 twice. The advantage of doing it that way is that if he pushes ...f4 before f3 then you have Bg4 getting rid of the bad bishop. Alternatively if he chops on e4 you want to recapture with a piece and that will become a powerful square for you.
    meep meep

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Rincewind - Another (both in the 1750-1800 ACF rating range)
    8 September, 2009
    30 moves in 75 minutes plus 30 minutes for remainder of game

PGN Viewer

“The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information