Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    With a couple of losses from the previous top ten (one through inactivity, one through departure) the new Tasmanian top ten is Dyer, Markovitz, Bonham, Chadwick, Frame, Nagy, Macfarlan, Macmahon, Lucas and Saunders.

This is Michael Saunders' first appearance in the TTT while Peter Lucas is back for the first time since 2008 (in 2006 he was at one stage #3).

The current TTT has the lowest average rating since before the 150-point uplift back in 2000. In this case I'm very confident that issues to do with junior ratings are not the reason.

Alastair Dyer is still #1 in absentia but I think he will be off for inactivity next time if he hasn't played by then; in any case Neil Markovitz is now close behind him. Peter Knight has come back in at #3 putting me down to 4 and Charles Chadwick is off for inactivity so the rest of the top ten below me are the same.

Big changes this month with Alastair Dyer dropping off the top of the list as predicted, so Neil Markovitz is the new #1 and deservedly so, but Phil Donnelly (1867) jumps back onto the list at a career-high #4 (his previous high was #8) after winning the Tasmanian Open with 6/6. A similar thing happened with Andrew Todd in 2007.

The new Tasmanian top ten is Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly, Frame, Nagy, Macfarlan, D Rolph (first time entry), McMahon and R Horton.

Nagy has had a lot of losses in the HICC Champs and may fall off the list next time.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-09-2013 at 01:04 AM.

HICC Champion Joshua Loh jumps onto the list at 2133? but is listed on the overseas list. Neil Markovitz goes over 2000 by beating Loh in the HICC Champs (rather spectacularly too - queen sac deflection)

The new Tasmanian top ten is Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly, Frame, Macfarlan, McMahon, Lucas, D Rolph and Harvey. Reg Harvey makes the list for the first time since 2004 after co-winning the 9-player Burnie Shines with McMahon. From something I saw on another forum I think our #4 may be living in Poland.

There are two new entries on the Tasmanian top ten list though one has not been formally transferred to the Tas list yet. Ian Rout has moved here and Mason Carter makes the top ten for the first time. Bill Kerr has also moved here and will likely go in on the next list (indeed at present he'd go straight to the top).

The new TTT is Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly, Rout, Frame, Macfarlan, M Carter, McMahon, D Rolph.

I saw #2 in town the other day; not content with just being very good at chess he's distracted by other games for the time being!
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-06-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Another major shakeup this quarter with the two Tasmanian Open winners Bill Kerr and David Small (one a transfer to the Tasmanian list, one emerging from inactivity) going straight to the top of the pack. The top ten ratings are now at their highest average level since late 2007.

The new Tasmanian top ten is Kerr, Small, Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly and Rout (tied), Frame, Macfarlan and Carter.

The top ten Tasmanian quick ratings are held by Small, Kerr, Markovitz, Bonham, Knight, Rout, McMahon and Harvey (tied), Lucas and Hughes.

Hi Kevin, where can the rapid ratings list be found? I have only seen the classic ratings posted by Bill. David

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNite View Post
    Hi Kevin, where can the rapid ratings list be found? I have only seen the classic ratings posted by Bill. David
    They are not online yet but I believe they'll go up on the ACF site shortly. If anyone from Tasmania doesn't want to wait they can let me know via PM or email and I'll send them a copy. People in other states can contact their own state rating officer.

A loss of 34 points for Bill Kerr sees him now tied with David Small on 2051, however Kerr is 2051!! while Small is 2051? Denis McMahon returns to the top ten in ninth after winning the Burnie Shines.

The new Tasmanian top ten is Kerr and Small (tied), Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Rout, Donnelly, Frame, McMahon and Carter.

This is the top 20 rapid ratings player instead of 10 (mainly because i wanted to include myself)Only players with ! or !!

Top Rated Tasmanian Players (Rating Position)
    Kevin Bonham 2006 (2)
    Mason Carter 1804 (4)
    Scott Cohen 1666 (10)
    Reg Harvey 1749 (6)
    Russell Horton 1598 (15)
    David Hughes 1670 (9)
    Milutin Ivkovic 1651 (11)
    Bill Kerr 2112 (1)
    Dylan Kuzmic 1620 (13)
    Lenard Lange 1633 (12)
    Nigel Lewis 1580 (16)
    Peter Lucas 1701 (8)
    Denis McMahon 1801 (5)
    David Rolph 1732 (7)
    James Peirce 1515 (18)
    Alex Nagy 1557 (17)
    Ian Rout 1818 (3)
    Ian Little 1512 (19)
    Fred Duiker 1607 (14)
    Carey Kuzmic 1424 (20)
    Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

Has Ian Rout played any standard length games in Tasmania yet? I see he has played some rapid.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Has Ian Rout played any standard length games in Tasmania yet? I see he has played some rapid.
    Ian is also playing great classic chess. He won the Burnie Club Championship without losing a game and repeated that in the Robert Isted Memorial. He also placed 3rd= in the Burnie Shines (he had me completely busted in our game but i fluked the win); and he finished with 3.5/6 in a very strong Tasmanian Open field.

Thanks for that idledim. Ian has long been a strong player - clearly that has not changed with his geographical move!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Revision to the rating list has increased Bill Kerr's rating by a point, meaning he is now sole state #1 for this period.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Revision to the rating list has increased Bill Kerr's rating by a point, meaning he is now sole state #1 for this period.
    Unfortunately, "things" didn't work out for me in Launceston. I'm now living in Melbourne. Thanks to the Hobart and Burnie players for their hospitality in the two events I did play in. Also to Nevile Ledger for sharing his history of Tasmanian chess with me.
    - Bill Kerr

Thread Information