Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Only one classic tournament rated for this period but all the Hobart players around the top ten have gained points.
    Something quite unusual has happened here because of the 16 already rated players who played in the Hobart Spring Swiss - none of whom played in any other rated tournament - 13 have gained points and only 3 have lost points. The average result for these 16 players is a gain of 60 points.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Something quite unusual has happened here because of the 16 already rated players who played in the Hobart Spring Swiss - none of whom played in any other rated tournament - 13 have gained points and only 3 have lost points. The average result for these 16 players is a gain of 60 points.
    I'm guessing most hadn't played many standard rated games so that one tournament had a bigger swing on their ratings?
    The slower I play the better I play, who would of thought?

I was quite surprised I went from 2008 to 2078 rapid rating for 5.5/7. Was probably because the draw and loss were both to unrated players (with Zacharias Lim being the draw and Paul Summers being the loss, they ended up with intial ratings of 1954 and 1889? respectively.)

CC International Master
    It does look a bit odd. Another example? At a glance: Burnie submitted 1 tournament. Leon finished with 0/7 and improved his rating from 1089 to 1101; Fred & Dylan finished with 4 / 7 (about expected) and improved from 1876 to 1909 and from 1896 to 1922 respectively. Reg finished with 5/7 and improved from 1869 to 1935. Zac and Ian also played in the Launceston Cup - so harder to read. James (3/7) goes from 1449 to 1567. Ricky (1) got his first rating - 1225. No idea if all this looks normal or not - might be worth another look?!

Ian played in the Launceston cup, Zach played in the LCC Northern Allegro. The rating changes do seem a bit odd?

Quote Originally Posted by James Peirce View Post
    I'm guessing most hadn't played many standard rated games so that one tournament had a bigger swing on their ratings?
    Many have played large numbers but Toby Straton who performed very strongly in the tournament hasn't played that many. All the ratings are more volatile at the moment because of lower activity in the pandemic but that would normally apply in both directions.

I was quite surprised I went from 2008 to 2078 rapid rating for 5.5/7. Was probably because the draw and loss were both to unrated players (with Zacharias Lim being the draw and Paul Summers being the loss, they ended up with intial ratings of 1954 and 1889? respectively.)
    I would assume that would be part of it (you take very little damage for dropping points to them because their ratings are so unreliable) but would also be worth checking whether active players on the rapid list for Tasmania have also gone up in this period.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Rating Changes from December to March for players who had games in that period (Rapid) (Top 20 for March List)
    James Peirce 2008-2078
    Toby Straton 2059-2055
    Ian Rout 2060-2046
    Kevin Bonham 1968-2036
    Eddy Amos 1845-1985
    William Rumley 2053-1981
    Reg Harvey 1869-1935
    Dylan Kuzmic 1896-1922
    Fred Duiker 1876-1909
    Tan Thanh Nguyen 1867-1907
    Denis McMahon 1831-1902
    Scott Cohen 1825-1866

I've just checked the whole list and for the 41 Tas players who played on the Quick list this period and were active on the Quick list last period there is an average gain of 54 points, so about the same as the classic ratings. 34 went up, 7 went down.

Those 12 players I listed increased on average by ~39pts.

CC FIDE Master
    It was an average 55-point gain on the Classic list in WA as well (for players who played games), with three players losing points, and 28 players gaining.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James Peirce View Post
    Ian played in the Launceston cup, Zach played in the LCC Northern Allegro. The rating changes do seem a bit odd?
    That's right - Ian's other tournament in the period was the Tas. Rapid. You posted his TPR as 1829 for that event (using Pappubahry's calculator). I'm still struggling with the idea that someone can score 0/7 in an event and have their rating go up, but if it's that simple I'll try to do it more often.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pappubahry
    It was an average 55-point gain on the Classic list in WA as well (for players who played games), with three players losing points, and 28 players gaining.
    It does seem interesting to see such a large average gain. Then again, without many OTB tournaments, hundreds of juniors have been stuck at home playing online blitz 12 hours per day, gaining 150 points in strength each rating period, without being able to improve their OTB rating. It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that there could have been a moderate average increase in OTB strength among active players in a 3 month interval, even if very little OTB chess was played.

Quote Originally Posted by idledim
    I'm still struggling with the idea that someone can score 0/7 in an event and have their rating go up, but if it's that simple I'll try to do it more often.
    Well, we learn more from our losses than our wins. The rating system should take this into account.
    FA Andrew Hardegen
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Thread Information