Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar

NSW Chess Centre

I was just wondering, how is the NSWCA handling the NSW Centre issue. People may recall that I, as a former NCWCA counciller was given responsiblity to look into such a unilateral venture. However, I said that much larger forces had made such a venture folly.

Did the NSWCA council drop the ball AGAIN on Thursday night?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    I was just wondering, how is the NSWCA handling the NSW Centre issue. People may recall that I, as a former NCWCA counciller was given responsiblity to look into such a unilateral venture. However, I said that much larger forces had made such a venture folly.
    Even if this was true and thats a big if, given you never discussed the issue with Peter Parr and your so called discovery of "much larger forces" did not occur until late May from another source, then you have no excuse for doing nothing prior for over 5 mths.

Did the NSWCA council drop the ball AGAIN on Thursday night?
    How could the council possibly drop the ball when it was you who were supposed to be the ball carrier.
    If anything the Council has had to recover from the fact you never appear to have even handled the ball since it being handed to you after the AGM.

Since your removal from the Council was only in late June, only 4-5 weeks have passed.

Given you promised to organise meetings numerous times over the past 6 mths and did nothing, then even if the NSWCA Council does something in the next 8 weeks it will still have done more on this issue than you did.

BTW I had to work on an urgent issue last Thursday night, so I left the meeting prior to the Sydney Chess Centre being discussed, so until I see the minutes I wont know what transpired.

That's right. Blaim MS. The NSWCA is faultless. Just because it blew the chance last year by being timid, and is unable to act on info that is given to it publically [BTW, he who laughs last laughs hardest ] , and the whole of the membership wants to know when the many tens of thousands of folding stuff is going to benefit them, hey don't feel pressured.

FMD. Stop shooting the messanger. Just say yes.

That's right. Blaim MS.The NSWCA is faultless.
    In this particular case yes.

Just because it blew the chance last year by being timid, and is unable to act on info that is given to it publically [BTW, he who laughs last laughs hardest ] ,
    There was no missed opportuunity last year at all.
    Also there was no information given to it either pubically or privately that was relevant. Speculation by people as to what Peter intends or does not intend is just that speculation. Of course you would have no clue since you never discussed it with him.

and the whole of the membership wants to know when the many tens of thousands of folding stuff is going to benefit them, hey don't feel pressured.
    We dont feel pressured. The members at the AGM's and in general have not been lobbying for the spending of our finances.

FMD. Stop shooting the messanger. Just say yes.
    One thing is certain you are no messanger.
    You are just a load mouthed individual who criticises but when given the opportunity to do something did nothing. Now all you are trying to do is deflect the criticism of your total lack of effort.

Finally I will say yes,to the fact you are a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    There was no missed opportuunity last year at all.
    Bridge Centre? Or was that a figment of our collective imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    How goes the chess centre please?

AR
    I replied 30-03-2004, "A feasibility study will be ready for interested parties by about September. It should contain a number of options. eg, a city venue, a parramata venue, a non-profit plan, a comercial joint venture, a piss-up with strippers, et cetera. Then it will be up to NSWCA members at the next AGM to vote on what to do about it."

Ah, but that will be difficult to do now, won't it Bildo. But that is how the NSWCA opperates, ain't it Bildo. The one NSWCA councillor who bothered to contact me by 'phone was Mal Marrel. That was when something important to our country players was afoot. So, I came to [/i]that[/i] meeting to make sure the country players were not screwed over again. (Naughty country player councillors are personae non grata, aren't they Bildo.

We dont feel pressured. The members at the AGM's and in general have not been lobbying for the spending of our finances.
    Bollocks. what is the ratio of members who say "Spend it" to those who say "Don't spend it".

I think it is about time the NSWCA members knew exactly what is going on. Wil you tell them or will I? A deal is on the table, the money is in the bank, the NSWCA is umming and ahhing again and our members don't have a "home of chess".
    Last edited by PHAT; 02-08-2004 at 07:27 AM.

Bridge Centre? Or was that a figment of our collective imaginations.
    As usual it would appear you have no idea what you are talking about and this is just a figment of your imagination.
    There was never any mention of the Bridge Centre being used as the Sydney Chess Centre either last year or this year. If you ever believed that it just shows you obviously paid no attention even at the Council meetings you did attend. Given the Bridge Centre is only available for our use on Sunday evenings from around 6pm it would make a lousy Chess centre.

The Bridge Centre was never mentioned at all last year and was only discussed this year as a possible venue for some tournaments. We eventually decided to run the NSW Masters and CJS Purdy events there.

I replied 30-03-2004, "A feasibility study will be ready for interested parties by about September. It should contain a number of options. eg, a city venue, a parramata venue, a non-profit plan, a comercial joint venture, a piss-up with strippers, et cetera. Then it will be up to NSWCA members at the next AGM to vote on what to do about it."
    Who cares what you may have said on the BB. It just looks like grandstanding on your part.
    You told the NSWCA Council on at least 2 occasions (the Jan meeting and March meeting, those being the only ones you attended this year) that you would organise chess centre committee meetings in the following month.
    Those meetings were never organised by you and never occurred.

Ah, but that will be difficult to do now, won't it Bildo.
    You did nothing for 6 months even though you said you would on at least two occasions.
    There was no evidence that you would have done anything at all in the remaining 5 months.

:But that is how the NSWCA opperates, ain't it Bildo. The one NSWCA councillor who bothered to contact me by 'phone was Mal Marrel. That was when something important to our country players was afoot. So, I came to [/i]that[/i] meeting to make sure the country players were not screwed over again. (Naughty country player councillors are personae non grata, aren't they Bildo.
    That is incorrect. Mal and I get on fine.
    It is just on the NSW Masters and CJS Purdy events that he and I disagreed on the timing.

He was against supporting Ralph's initiatives for the holding the NSW Masters and CJS events because they clashed with some country tournaments.
    I argued that the actual number of non local players who normally particpated in those country events who were NSW members was quite small.
    If I recall the numbers it was something like 3-4 players at the two events at Laurieton and possibly 8 players at the Common man event.
    As it turned out only 2 players max of those players who played in the NSW Masters and the CJS Purdy events were previous participants in the aforementioned Country events.

Bollocks. what is the ratio of members who say "Spend it" to those who say "Don't spend it".
    The majority understand that the money is ear marked for future use on a chess centre.

I think it is about time the NSWCA members knew exactly what is going on. Wil you tell them or will I?
    I'm not going to deal in speculation.
    You can tell them what you think you know.

A deal is on the table, the money is in the bank, the NSWCA is umming and ahhing again and our members don't have a "home of chess".
    As of Wednesday last week there was no deal of any kind on the table.

Peter Parr sent an email to the Council last Thursday which was theday of the Council meeting, to inform us that the both the ground floor and the first floor of the building he is currently in were vacant and up for lease.
    He reminded the Council of our previous discussions with him a few years back when there was vacant floors in the building. Just like then for any arrangement to be successful it requires not only the participation of the NSWCA but also NSWJCL. Many would argue that the venue for a chess centre needs to be junior friendly and would question the suitability of the inner city especially that area.

Just like there was criticism of the ACF National Conference for accepting Cordovers claims that the Mt. Buller decision had to be made then and there,
    then the same claim would be made against the NSWCA if it made a rushed decision here.

Of course the previous dicussions between Peter and the Council from a few years ago were raised at the 2004 January Council (one which you attended) because it was pointed out at that time the Peters current lease would expire later this year. A couple of days after that Council meeting and mainly for the benefit of new Council members the relevant documents regarding those earlier discussions were sent by email to all NSWCA Council members including yourself.

If as you had promised at the Jan Council meeting you had organised and held the Chess centre committee meetings, then perhaps the current Council would have the benfit of the findings/recommendations of said committee.

Of course you did nothing and simply demonstrated that you are high on rhetoric and bulls..t and low on action.

You arte a complete waste of everyones time.

Of course the previous dicussions between Peter and the Council from a few years ago were raised at the 2004 January Council (one which you attended) because it was pointed out at that time the Peters current lease would expire later this year. A couple of days after that Council meeting and mainly for the benefit of new Council members the relevant documents regarding those earlier discussions were sent by email to all NSWCA Council members including yourself.
    And [drum roll] stillnoth-ing happ-ened.

If as you had promised at the Jan Council meeting you had organised and held the Chess centre committee meetings, then perhaps the current Council would have the benfit of the findings/recommendations of said committee.
    The subcommitte was to have a final report ready by the end of THIS year - 4 months away. So, regardless of your posturing about not having enought info now, you wouldn't have had enough even if I was still on council.

The important points that seem to be convieniantly forgotten/ignored by you are:

1. The NSWCA dropped the ball once before on the SCC issue last year.
    2. Council had no intention of persuing a SCC this year (if ever) except that I, as a councillor, took on the responsability to do so.
    3. The NSWCA was unsuccessful in contacting me via email to assertain what was going on, and yet did not make even one 'phone call.
    4. Then one of the SCC committee (me) is sacked.
    5. Now the NSWCA has its pants around its ankles and is stalled on the SCC issue.

Conclussion: NSWCA council does not want "outsiders" in its ranks. (And remember, I saw how it reacted to new broom Ralph Sebry when he started revamping the calender. Few people would be aware that before his death, Ralph resigned as Tournament Officer over his treatment.) Now, the NSWCA council is still sitting on $80,000 and doesn't want any damn "outsider" making recommendations about its use.

The best deal to take NSW chess forward is on the table right now and the NSWCA still does nothing. Yet, it continues to spend hours upon hours on how to word flyers, or how long one naughty player should get in the sin bin, or who should keep the clocks.

No volunteer run organisation can afford to lose voluteers before they have seen out the year. So, good on ya.
    Last edited by PHAT; 02-08-2004 at 03:57 PM.

He was against supporting Ralph's initiatives for the holding the NSW Masters and CJS events because they clashed with some country tournaments.
    I received a rather funny email from RS re this.

Just like then for any arrangement to be successful it requires not only the participation of the NSWCA but also NSWJCL. Many would argue that the venue for a chess centre needs to be junior friendly and would question the suitability of the inner city especially that area.
    Agreed: for a chess centre to work, it has to be junior-friendly. But what is it about THAT AREA that makes its suitability questionable? It's actually slowly being gentrified Bill. Very hip and trendy.

AR

. . . Few people would be aware that before his death, Ralph resigned as Tournament Officer over his treatment.
    There is something seemingly ugly about the way you name-drop his name. But you're right. That is what my source tells me also. Further, I hear that the NSWCA actually refused his resignation.

Now, the NSWCA council is still sitting on $80,000 and doesn't want any damn "outsider" making recommendations about its use.
    It must be a considered and rationale 'use'. Everyone you talk to will support the centre in principle. But it's a friggin' huge investment mate. That 80K could just disappear in a ppfffft . . . ! Is that what you want?

AR

Now, the NSWCA council is still sitting on $80,000 and doesn't want any damn "outsider" making recommendations about its use.
    Is this for real!? Where did all that cash come from?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Is this for real!? Where did all that cash come from?
    Of course! we're NSWelshmen. We don't lie.

10K of that came from anonymous benefactor - late last year I think it was.

AR
    Last edited by arosar; 02-08-2004 at 04:13 PM.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    So amiel, you chose to live in Bankstown and think Surry Hills is "hip and trendy". Does this tell us something about you!? You'll be telling us that Kings Cross is good for junior chess next?

Of course! we're NSWerlshmen. We don't lie.

10K of that came from anonymous benefactor - late last year I think it was.

AR
    So what's being done with it? Surely there's a million good uses to put some of that money to? I can think of quite a few initiatives we could implement in QLD.. 80k is a lot to sit on.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    . . . Kings Cross is good for junior chess next?
    Mate, don't talk to me about the Cross, right! You have any idea what the Sydney City Council have planned next? They wanna ban the shops at the X to stop using neon signs!! Mate, this is like telling them Greeks to stop painting their houses white. THis has really got me blood boiling mate.

Now I haven't actually said that the proposed location, above Parr's shop, should be the way to go. I am only questioning Bill's claim that the site is questionable. What makes it questionable? The answer could be a perfectly legit reason that I'll agree with.

AR

There is something seemingly ugly about the way you name-drop his name. But you're right. That is what my source tells me also. Further, I hear that the NSWCA actually refused his resignation.
    Yes, I feel a bit reluctant to mention RS so soon after his death, but how do you tell a story about the NSWCA in 2004 without mentioning him. In any case, he was a breath of fresh air and I don't think we should forget it.

It must be a considered and rationale 'use'. Everyone you talk to will support the centre in principle. But it's a friggin' huge investment mate. That 80K could just disappear in a ppfffft . . . !
    Actually it isn't a huge investment at all. Half of Sydney has that much parked in their garage. It is less than 5% of what is needed to buy SCC and the interest on $80k is not enough to pay rent. So, the deal that is on the table now is the only way forward in the forseable future. The alternative is to sit on the dosh, without a SCC, into the unforseable future.
    Last edited by PHAT; 02-08-2004 at 05:00 PM.

Thread Information