Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

Resumption of ACF Newsletter

ACF has invited me to edit the ACF Newsletter, which has not been produced for a few months after the retirement of the previous editor, Joseph Tanti. Following is some information about how I propose to operate the newsletter.

The newsletter will generally be issued on the second Tuesday of the month and, if there is sufficient material, the fourth Tuesday. The deadline for submitting material will be the prior Friday. Special issues may occasionally be produced, for instance in the case of urgent ACF announcements, or perhaps for large quantities of material.

This will commence from Tuesday 8 September (deadline Friday 4 September). Note that there will be no second September issue as I will be on holidays.

The exception to the deadline will be reporting tournaments finishing on the weekend after the deadline; results will be squeezed in if they are sent as soon as possible on the Sunday.

The intent, especially in the first instance, will be to produce something low maintenance and manageable rather than being artistic or clever. I may get more ambitious later, but not much. There will inevitably be some experimentation with formats in the early stages.

Although I will be able to glean some information from my own reading I will be reliant on members of the chess community to provide information which they would like to publicise. ACF and I hope to develop a network of contacts so that information from all states is included, but anyone can contribute. Items for inclusion, preferably in the form of whole sentences/paragraphs that can be copied and pasted so as to minimise errors from re-keying, should be sent to auschessnews@gmail.com

The above address should also be used for any other correspondence relating to the newsletter.

The focus will be on information rather than comment or amusement though there may be some of those. Letters to the Editor will be accepted (at my discretion) though the newsletter will not be the venue for long-running and/or acrimonious debate; matters likely to fall into that class should be pursued through one of the several bulletin boards and blogs now operating.

The previous mailing list is still in existence and will be used for distribution of the newsletter. If you are not on this list, or not sure (if you receive an e-mail later today similar to this message then you are on the list), you can subscribe via the ACF website http://www.auschess.org.au/

Finally notwithstanding anything above there may be changes to editorial policies and practices when we see what works.

Please pass this on or draw it to the intention of anybody you think may be interested.

Good luck with it, Ian. I'm sure you'll do a fine job.
    meep meep

^ wot he sed + wot i wrote in my mail.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Good luck, I'll be sending you some Melbourne Chess Club news from time to time. Will you be including any games in the bulletin, and if so, what format would you like them in?
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    Will you be including any games in the bulletin, and if so, what format would you like them in?
    I plan on including some games; I'll take the second part on notice pending working out the mechanism for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCG on his blog
    After months of being in a coma, the Australian Chess Federation's newsletter looks set to breathe again as wel-known ACT chess personality Ian Rout takes over as its editor.
    Ian, are you comfortable with your new status as a chess personality?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Ian, are you comfortable with your new status as a chess personality?
    Well I suppose there's nothing I can do about it so there's no point being uncomfortable.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    Good luck, I'll be sending you some Melbourne Chess Club news from time to time. Will you be including any games in the bulletin, and if so, what format would you like them in?
    Returning to this question, PGN is probably the safest format for games. Naturally games should preferably be in some way dramatic or entertaining, for instance tournament-deciding games or games with a violent sacrifice, King hunt, blunder by someone who should know better, miraculous save or reversal, paradoxical move, underpromotion, stiking geometric motif etc.

While I have your attention, a reminder that the deadline for the first issue is this Friday, 4 September (or whenever I wake up on Saturday morning if you want to take a risk on that).

CC International Master
    The newsletter has just gone out. There are some minor formatting issues that I was unable to resolve - some paragraph spacings went astray in the last section, and every section was meant to have a solid blue outline but only the Games section kept it. But I can live with those for the time being.

One issue that I came across in testing was that it was often moved to Spam folders, presumably through going to a bulk list, so if you don't see it then check your spam.

Please report any readability issues, other than those listed above, as testing naturally only covered a small proportion of systems. And try to contribute something for future issues.

Yo! Ian. Baby. Way 2 go. Received my newsletter. Shizzle in the nizzle. Good work. 10 out 10s. Respec.

Carry on!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    The newsletter has just gone out. There are some minor formatting issues that I was unable to resolve - some paragraph spacings went astray in the last section, and every section was meant to have a solid blue outline but only the Games section kept it. But I can live with those for the time being.

One issue that I came across in testing was that it was often moved to Spam folders, presumably through going to a bulk list, so if you don't see it then check your spam.

Please report any readability issues, other than those listed above, as testing naturally only covered a small proportion of systems. And try to contribute something for future issues.
    Ian, My newsletter had a blue outline around all sections, so that appears to have worked for at least me.
    Scott

General borders for me except for games section which has the thick blue border.

Might have something to do with the format/program people are viewing the newsletter in??

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout

I could not see any problems with the layout - certainly there were blue outlines around, and thin blue lines inside, each section.

One thing I did notice was that it appeared that clicking on the Table of Contents items may have been intended to take one to the item selected and I note that each section has a Table of Contents entry under it that may be intended to take one back to the table at the top. I get little hands appearing where they should but nothing happens when I click.

No problems with spam though if ones computer has a learning system for the spam filter, it should be easy enough to train it to recognise it as not spam.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

How come I didn't get anything?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Did you join the ACF Newsletter mailing list? There is a thread/link around somewhere :S
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Thread Information