View Poll Results: Which touch phone is the best?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple iPhone

    5 41.67%
  • HTC Diamond

    0 0%
  • LG Xenon

    1 8.33%
  • Other

    6 50.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master Alana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    966

    Touch screen phones

    I've just been searching the net for a new phone as I'm trying to convince mum to get me one for my 18th (not long now!).

    Which are the best touch screen phones out there? I'm looking for one that isn't too expensive, and is prepaid.
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

    alanachibnall@hotmail.com

  2. #2
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    ...I'm trying to convince mum to get me one for my 18th (not long now!).
    If your current phone is still in working order, Alana, why should your Mum buy you a new phone? Are you working? If so, buy one for yourself or wait until you are working. You Mum has probably gone without a lot of things over 18 years to invest in you. Give her a break. Wry
    Last edited by Jim_Flood; 03-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    59
    The iPhone is mostly just a marketing gimmick. The HTC Dream has all of the same features with a better/cheaper operating system. The HTC Touch HD is also better in most ways.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Quote Originally Posted by shan_siddiqi
    The iPhone is mostly just a marketing gimmick. The HTC Touch HD is also better in most ways.
    Wow! Did Apple rip it off?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Wow! Did Apple rip it off?
    Oh. I googled and the first I found was this. It says ...

    17 Apr 2009 in Reviews

    Best touchscreen phones

    Ever since Apple wowed us with its nifty iPhone, everyone is gagging for a screen they can touch. Here are four of our favourite sensitive handsets...
    Looks like the copycat is calling the originator a marketing gimmick! Cute! And a path very very very well-worn. Nothing new under the sun, be it Apple's innovation or others knocking it or indeed others still copying it.

    Carry on!
    Last edited by Basil; 03-08-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  6. #6
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    225

    buy a phone thats value for money.

    plans are a rip off.
    Make sure other people like it.
    Don't buy an I phone (biggest rip - offs)
    if you do disable internet 3g or you'll get a $400 bill ( I guy I know told me.)

    Alternatively, if you have a phone buy something more useful.
    I'm 14 and I don't get why all u18's need to have phones.
    They are retarded.

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Looks like the copycat is calling the originator a marketing gimmick! Cute! And a path very very very well-worn. Nothing new under the sun, be it Apple's innovation or others knocking it or indeed others still copying it.

    Carry on!
    The iPhone isn't the originator of anything. There was no innovation. All they did was to make a pretty-looking operating system that was easy to market.

    It doesn't matter what came first and what came later. There were plenty of touchscreen phones before the iPhone. What matters is what's better for the money.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Quote Originally Posted by shan_siddiqi
    The iPhone isn't the originator of anything. There was no innovation. All they did was to make a pretty-looking operating system that was easy to market.

    It doesn't matter what came first and what came later. There were plenty of touchscreen phones before the iPhone. What matters is what's better for the money.
    Right. Thanks for clearing that up

    Just one thing before I go. Did Apple originate the turny-aroundy screen thing? And ummm did Apple innovate the apps to go with the phone? And if not, which firm did. And ... never mind.

    And never mind that Apple has filed more than 200 patents on the phone

    I've wiki'd(again!) and there seems to be a claim by one firm that Apple stole its idea from them! - which by itself proves nothing - and also means Apple moved incredibly quickly (nine months from pinching to launch). There's another suggestion that Apple pinched the name from a patent that had elapsed 10 years previously (being IPHONE)*.

    For mine, Apple's reknown innovation for software and box design is behind both the OS and the feel of the phone - and nasty black boxes and faceless companies have been copying it ever since.

    *Given Apple's launch of iPod and iTunes and iMac, I doubt any but the seriously and serially anti-Mac-ites would give this one any oxygen at all.
    Last edited by Basil; 04-08-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  9. #9
    CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by aransandraseg
    plans are a rip off.
    Make sure other people like it.
    Don't buy an I phone (biggest rip - offs)
    if you do disable internet 3g or you'll get a $400 bill ( I guy I know told me.)
    From what I've figured out about the iPhone, my friends who are terrible with techonology tell me that "it's the worst phone, don't get it", yet my friends who are good with it tell me that "it's a great phone". 3g internet is useful if you use it responsibly, not only with the iPhone. Another bonus to the iPhone is that it can use Wifi instead of 3g, so if you're at home it doesn't cost you anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by aransandraseg
    Alternatively, if you have a phone buy something more useful.
    I'm 14 and I don't get why all u18's need to have phones.
    They are retarded.
    I got my first phone when I was 10, and going to boarding school. Although now I'm not at boarding school, I just turned 15 and have one - it's an essential part of my day. If I'm at school, it allows me to communicate with my parents (or as it so happened today, to locate my sister so I could give her lunch money), and when I go out on the weekends with my friends it allows me to contact them, as well as call my parents so they don't worry about me too much!
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    I can't vote because I haven't used (or been usefully exposed to) the others. I assume the voters have. I do know that SWAMBO has an iPhone and loves it (as does Master 3). I also know that a staff members (Ms 23) has an imitation (I don't know which one) and loathes it.
    Last edited by Basil; 04-08-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  11. #11
    CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,047
    I recieved an LG Xenon for my birthday and so far, it's an excellent phone. It has a touchscreen as well as a QWERTY keyboard, long battery life, and compacts up quite small, so in any case I feel obliged to vote for it

    If you're looking for a decent phone that's easy to use, I'd buy that. The iPhone is slightly harder to text with (the keyboard is touchscreen, although it takes a while to get used to it) and if you want to get the most out of it, you usually seem to require a bit of technical knowledge. Be prepared to end up buying apps - there are a host of free ones, but once you spot a game that looks fun or something entertaining for $1.19, you'll have a bunch of them before long!
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

  12. #12
    CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,409
    My brother just an iphone hust because I bought HTC touch (not diamond or HD) its got windows 6 but only 200 mb of space and ram... wi-fi but no gps. My brothers Iphone has 18gb and wifi with gps and is way more expensive...
    Mine was only 300 dollars but my brothers iphone 3g s was 920 dollars... I really dont think iphone is worth all that money...
    IMABACK

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    12,326
    The iPhone is the only one in the list I've heard of. Whether that says more about the product being the best or being the best-marketed (or possibly both) I don't know.
    meep meep

  14. #14
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,544
    Quote Originally Posted by that_guy
    My brother just an iphone hust because I bought HTC touch (not diamond or HD) its got windows 6 but only 200 mb of space and ram... wi-fi but no gps. My brothers Iphone has 18gb and wifi with gps and is way more expensive...
    Mine was only 300 dollars but my brothers iphone 3g s was 920 dollars... I really dont think iphone is worth all that money...
    That is to buy it outright and is not that different from competing phones.

    The Nokia N97 sells for $1129 just like the N95 before sold for over $1000 when bought outright.

    The HTC Touch pro2 sells for between $959-$1100.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

  15. #15
    CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    The iPhone is the only one in the list I've heard of. Whether that says more about the product being the best or being the best-marketed (or possibly both) I don't know.
    Yeah same, it looks pretty cool though

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •