Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shan_siddiqi
    Opening traps are nice at the junior level, but you rarely get a chance to use them at the upper level. 90% of opening traps require you to play a weak opening line to start with - and if you're playing a 1600+ player, your opponent probably won't fall for it.
    Yes, I only know a couple of opening traps and I've lost count of the number of times I've won material with them online but only once have I had the chance to win material in a tournament game (and I had to stop myself from smiling - it was like seeing a long lost friend)

Quote Originally Posted by shan_siddiqi
    I'm sure George is a great coach, but a lot of experts recommend that your coach should be about 200-400 points higher than you. George is almost a GM-level player; a lot of times, it may be hard to understand what he talks about.
    I can't say I agree with this. 200 to 400 points isn't that much in the lower ranks. I'd alter that to AT LEAST 200 to 400 points higher, not make it the recommended limit.
    The stronger the coach, the more fortunate the student I'd say (provided the strong player knows how to teach.) If George is a great coach, he'll be able to get the level right.
    Last edited by Watto; 06-08-2009 at 04:33 PM.

CC International Master
    Buy lots of books and study them hardcore. Even construct a table of what to study and for how long. If you have plenty of free time then you can do this pretty easily. Although you will have to spend a bit of money building a good study library.

Remember also to communicate with your coach. Tell him your problems and analyse your games before showing him. This cuts down alot of time and makes it way easier for him to isolate not only mistakes in play but also mistakes in thinking.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    I can't say I agree with this. 200 to 400 points isn't that much in the lower ranks. I'd alter that to AT LEAST 200 to 400 points higher, not make it the recommended limit.
    The stronger the coach, the more fortunate the student I'd say (provided the strong player knows how to teach.) If George is a great coach, he'll be able to get the level right.
    I think there are 2 sides to a coin. It is true that the higher rating of the coach the better it is. However, if the coach is too strong relative to the student it is very likely that the coach will get bored and will not put enough effort.

On the other hand, if the coach is relatively weak he is only able to pick up basic mistakes. This may lead to bad habits which will be difficult to get rid of later on.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cadd1ct
    ACF Ratings are alot of reliable than JCL... if you really want to look at it this way.. Max is top of JCl list and is 1234.. (I think) but he's ACF is like 2200+.. but using the converter method his ACF should onyl be 1800... its too unreliable... I seriously think all JCl events should be ACF rated... one to encourage juniors to challenge adults and 2 I think the JCL system is a little dodgy.. I dunno it's your choice.
    The basic conversion which was used in the past works as follows...

If under 600 JCL you need to multiply it by 2 to get your approximate ACF,
    If above 600 JCL you need to calculate (JCL-600)*1.25+1200... That means 800 corresponds to 1450, 1000 corresponds to 1700, while 1200 corresponds to 1950.

However, this formula does not work for top players like Max because he literally does not have any competition in JCL and because of that his JCL is too high. It also does not work for kids who mainly play games in one rating system.

It is also true that recently there has been some inflation in JCL.

Account Compromised
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    Employ Igor Goldenberg IM as coach
    Tank you.

I would definitely include Michael Baron in my list of very effective coaches!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by drug
    I think there are 2 sides to a coin. It is true that the higher rating of the coach the better it is. However, if the coach is too strong relative to the student it is very likely that the coach will get bored and will not put enough effort.

On the other hand, if the coach is relatively weak he is only able to pick up basic mistakes. This may lead to bad habits which will be difficult to get rid of later on.
    During and after the Aus Juniors this year I had a coach who's ACF is only about 1400 (ex 1700-1800) but who was the best coach I had had to date (apart from at ERGAS and the coaching I'm getting now).
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC International Master
    You could try to minimise study by incorperating middlegame study and opening study together. For instance. Select an opening repertoire that gives you an IQP in most vars (Panov attack against the CK, exchange french c4 lines, c3 sicilians (Your opponant will have to be nice enogh to play the 2...d5 lines or similar) etc). Then you could just study IQP structures intensively with the idea that a heap of your games will have them.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC Candidate Master

Cool That's too complicated!

I truly believe that if you study hard with stronger players,and set yourself a goal that you can make,you will reach it.No more need be said!Cheers,Sam

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Shouldn't this be in the Chess Training thread?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Shouldn't this be in the Chess Training thread?
    Good point. Now move to the "Chess Training" forum.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    I found the nice harmony between study and action very good in past and I still prefer this system. Especially with the accessible books, where you can combine it. They just had a new one on ending, which is very helpful and it's just breather, sometimes. While I prefer the old fashion books, sometimes, you wanna enjoy all that java

The mentioned book, for anyone interested
    Currently playing on http://lichess.org and trying out 1.d4 thanks to my fave youtuber via Chessable

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by claranow View Post
    I found the nice harmony between study and action very good in past and I still prefer this system. Especially with the accessible books, where you can combine it. They just had a new one on ending, which is very helpful and it's just breather, sometimes. While I prefer the old fashion books, sometimes, you wanna enjoy all that java

The mentioned book, for anyone interested
    Also can try Averbakh's endgame books.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Books, daily games, and a bit of flash magic at chessable books gets me going. I think the main key is not to give up, and to be ready to learn. Mindless play is not suited for this game.
    Currently playing on http://lichess.org and trying out 1.d4 thanks to my fave youtuber via Chessable

CC Rookie
    Boris Gelfand's books are quite nice

Thread Information