Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Improving in chess really fast.

I reckon there are many methods of improving fast in chess e.g coaching.
    This post is to find out methods of improving fast unknown to the common man.
    i.e. repertoire suggestions.
    I have great repertoire already but if there are ways to improve fast that I dont know...
    well I guess thats the aim of this thread.

CC Candidate Master
    That depends a lot on what level you're at. What rating level are you playing at right now?

Repertoire is VERY overrated at times. Having an elaborate repertoire is of very little use until you're playing at a very high level. As long as you're under 1800 or so, you should focus more on tactics and positional basics. I strongly recommend doing organised tactics problems (my personal favorite is the CT-ART program).

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shan_siddiqi
    That depends a lot on what level you're at. What rating level are you playing at right now?

Repertoire is VERY overrated at times. Having an elaborate repertoire is of very little use until you're playing at a very high level. As long as you're under 1800 or so, you should focus more on tactics and positional basics. I strongly recommend doing organised tactics problems (my personal favorite is the CT-ART program).
    ^ Good suggestion from someone who has been demonstrating the benefits of such work in the City of Sydney.

Tactics of all sorts. Lots of them.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Employ Igor Goldenberg IM as coach

CC Candidate Master Nicholas D-C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aransandraseg
    I have great repertoire already but if there are ways to improve fast that I dont know...
    Chess improvement is a gradual thing. It takes many years of dedication, study and practice to become a good player. There are no shortcuts in chess. Master level players must have solid opening repertoires (you say you have one, but I don't know what it is so I can't recommend anything), a good feel for positional chess (understanding strategy and planning), the ability to calculate variations accurately and in depth (this can be trained through analyzing games and using tactics books) and thorough endgame knowledge (this can be learnt from books that analyze endgames). You will have to work to improve!
    "I give 98 percent of my mental energy to chess. Others give only 2 percent." -- Bobby Fischer

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas D-C
    Chess improvement is a gradual thing. It takes many years of dedication, study and practice to become a good player. There are no shortcuts in chess. Master level players must have solid opening repertoires (you say you have one, but I don't know what it is so I can't recommend anything), a good feel for positional chess (understanding strategy and planning), the ability to calculate variations accurately and in depth (this can be trained through analyzing games and using tactics books) and thorough endgame knowledge (this can be learnt from books that analyze endgames). You will have to work to improve!
    What NDC said. Ask him how he gained over 150 ACF rating points in two tournaments. I bet you my fortune it would be hard work and endlessly preparation and training. If you really want to know how to get good.... I suggest asking a coach on where to improve and work hard. I heard that Peng works on his chess for more than 3 hours a day, and Zong Yuan Zhao stated in an article once (in the NSWJCL magazine) that he dedicated himself to over 6 hours of chess study a day.
    The elevator to success is out of order, but the stairs are always open!

CC Candidate Master
    It depends on how good you want to get. If you want to get to Zhao's level, then you have to spend a lot of time. But if you just want to get from 1000 to 1500, it's not that hard.

CC Candidate Master

Talking good suggestion

yeah positional chess and tactical chess are all good, but I guess a lot of people do that. I do a couple of tactics a day and George Xie has told me how to solve positional problems using the four questions.
    I study like two hours a week to (before tournaments) 4 hours a week.
    My JCL went up to 721, which converts to nearly 1400 ACF.
    What I am thinking of is studying opening traps. Studying games to improve strategy seems interesting. I really want to break the 800 barrier asap cause by year 10, 11, 12 I won't have much time to study chess.
    BTW
    has anyone got any good suggestions for F4.
    I have got any theory for that and I need to help a school team mate of mine prepare against John Papantoniou.
    Any advice there.

CC Candidate Master

Oh btw

I already have a coach.
    George Xie.
    But I got my yearlys coming up so no time for classes, but I still want to improve fast.

CC Candidate Master
    I already have a coach.
    George Xie.
    But I got my yearlys coming up so no time for classes, but I still want to improve fast.
    Oh? George offers lessons?

CC Candidate Master
    yeah positional chess and tactical chess are all good, but I guess a lot of people do that. I do a couple of tactics a day and George Xie has told me how to solve positional problems using the four questions.
    What I am thinking of is studying opening traps. Studying games to improve strategy seems interesting. I really want to break the 800 barrier asap cause by year 10, 11, 12 I won't have much time to study chess.
    BTW
    has anyone got any good suggestions for F4.
    I have got any theory for that and I need to help a school team mate of mine prepare against John Papantoniou.
    Any advice there.
    There's a reason why a lot of people study position/tactics - it works!

Opening traps are nice at the junior level, but you rarely get a chance to use them at the upper level. 90% of opening traps require you to play a weak opening line to start with - and if you're playing a 1600+ player, your opponent probably won't fall for it. In the end, you're stuck digging your way out of a weak position.
    Also, opening traps will teach you how to win some fast games, but they won't teach you how to play better chess.

Studying games is great, but it's not that useful if you don't know what you're looking for. If you have a strong understanding of tactics/positions/endgames, you'll understand why the GMs do what they do.

I'm sure George is a great coach, but a lot of experts recommend that your coach should be about 200-400 points higher than you. George is almost a GM-level player; a lot of times, it may be hard to understand what he talks about.

Don't worry too much about openings. If you want to look up lines, check out the Shredder opening database (available for free at www.shredderchess.com). But if you start to memorize detailed lines, you'll waste a lot of time trying to learn something that you'll rarely ever get the chance to use until you reach the master level. Every time I've tried to book up on a line (i.e. to prepare for an opponent, etc.), my opponent ends up going out of book on move 6 or 7. I do the same - I always try to get out of book as fast as possible.

CC Candidate Master Nicholas D-C's Avatar
    Opening traps are pretty cheap, and like Shan said, they often require you to play weaker openings (but if you are comfortable getting worse positions if the trap doesn't work that's your choice). The bird's opening can't be considered dangerous, so just look up some lines on the internet (why doesn't your friend prepare himself? It's his game, so if he doesn't care enough to prepare himself that's not on you!). Like I said before, there is no way to get good fast! You have to give up on that idea. Regarding ratings, I believe that the NSWJCL ratings use a weird system, and aren't as reliable as the ACF. The two can't be compared! You said that 700 translates to 1400, but that's not really true. The magazines say that 2000 JCL is world champion standard, but none of the world champions have had a rating of 4000!
    "I give 98 percent of my mental energy to chess. Others give only 2 percent." -- Bobby Fischer

BTW has anyone got any good suggestions for F4.
    Any advice there.
    ACF Ratings are alot of reliable than JCL... if you really want to look at it this way.. Max is top of JCl list and is 1234.. (I think) but he's ACF is like 2200+.. but using the converter method his ACF should onyl be 1800... its too unreliable... I seriously think all JCl events should be ACF rated... one to encourage juniors to challenge adults and 2 I think the JCL system is a little dodgy.. I dunno it's your choice. Well it really doesn't help asking someone to give you good advice on f4.. because if they really do... they wouldn't give it to you.. and why isn't your friend going to prepare?... Let him do it... if he doesn't want to.. you can't force him. p.s. John doesn't always play f4!
    The elevator to success is out of order, but the stairs are always open!

CC Candidate Master
    By the way, if you want to get better fast, look for a book called "Rapid Chess Improvement." I haven't read it myself, but I've seen it help a lot of people get up to the 16-1800 level.

Also, you should realize something. As a general rule of thumb, every 200-point rating gain will take about as much effort/knowledge as all of your previous improvement combined. In other words, it's as hard to get from 1400 to 1600 as it is to get from 0 to 1400.

CC Rookie

reaching through hard work

For me as a nswjcl player with a rating of 1000 (about to plummet back), reaching it is very hard
    i barely spend anytime on chess, only on icc at times.
    i also agree that the jcl are very inflated and that about 5 years ago, an 800 would be considered able to win tournemnts
    thing is that my acf is only 1200 due to the fact of less exposure to adults games, bridging equally for me is quite hard and it takes time.

Thread Information