Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    Clever one!

CC Candidate Master
    By this measure (on the gap between Fischer and his contemporaries), I consider him the greatest World champion. (Garry Kasparov)

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Geelong Grizzle
    Cult of fame a triumph for banality.

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box - Italian proverb.
    I really love this quote. This reminds me of Murong Bo, a character in my favorite novel - "Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils". Murong Bo is a descendant of the royal families of the Yan states in the Sixteen Kingdoms era in China. He is a ruthless man who want to restore Yan at all cost. He did so many bad things. In the end, he was saved by the Sweeper Monk. After that, Murong Bo abandoned his delusional ambitions and became Sweeper Monk's student. He finally understood an important point: it doesn't matter if you're a king or a normal person - everyone will die; wealth, power, social-status and pleasure do not exist in the after-life.

We all need to have meaningful goals in life but we should not get obsessed with them to the point that we want to realize those goals at all cost - even by unscrupulous means.

Today I found an interesting quote by Savielly Tartakower: Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.

...and another interesting quote by Rudolf Spielman:
    I can see the combinations as well as Alekhine, but I cannot get into the same positions.
    These quotes reminds me of a chapter I've read from "Do less achieve more" by Chin ning Chu. The chapter named "Trade what you have for what you want". When talking about "preparing to succeed", Chu stated that we should always prepare for the moment when the goddess of fortune visits us. Everyone knows what to do in good times, yet only winners know what to do in bad times (when there is nothing to do). In order to be a chess champion, a player needs to know not only how to win a winning position (tactics) but also how to create a winning position (strategy). In order to be a champion in life, a person needs to know what to do when he is still at the bottom of the ladder and does not see any hope in life - this is when he develops a strategy for his life.
    "What is better: to attack or to counterattack?" - Tigran Vartanovich Petrosian was asked.
    "Better is to win!" - was the reply.

"Incapacity to tolerate small frustrations will lead to inability to accomplish big tasks." - Sima Yi, Romance of Three Kingdoms.

"Attack if you can attack, defend if you can't attack, flee if you can't defend, surrender if you can't flee, die if you can't surrender!" - Sima Yi, Romance of Three Kingdoms.

Good quotes from the good Dr.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    Dr. Swartz

Where did you find them?

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    Dr. Swartz

Where did you find them?
    From chessgames.com and Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savielly_Tartakower

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...on?cid=1012578
    "What is better: to attack or to counterattack?" - Tigran Vartanovich Petrosian was asked.
    "Better is to win!" - was the reply.

"Incapacity to tolerate small frustrations will lead to inability to accomplish big tasks." - Sima Yi, Romance of Three Kingdoms.

"Attack if you can attack, defend if you can't attack, flee if you can't defend, surrender if you can't flee, die if you can't surrender!" - Sima Yi, Romance of Three Kingdoms.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    A quote from Jan Hein Donner that sums up my experience this weekend and probably at many other times:

"I love all positions. Give me a difficult positional game, I will play it. Give me a bad position, I will defend it. Openings, endgames, complicated positions, dull draws, I love them and I will do my very best. But totally won positions, I cannot stand them."

CC Grandmaster
    It is not enough to be a good chess players. You also need to play well! (Romanovsky)
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Dr Tartakower's classic: "No-one ever won a game by resigning." (Temporarily forgotten by Jeff Cabilin last week and at other times by me.)

It occurred to me that it is still a loss even if the opponent keels over in surprise and dies!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Super GM Anish Giri cracks me up. His latest published jewel of wisdom ... "The only problem with Pawn sacrifices is that you have to sacrifice Pawns"!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

"While all artists are not chess players, all chess players are artists" -
    Marcel Duchamp

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Connor View Post
    "While all artists are not chess players, all chess players are artists" -
    Marcel Duchamp
    well he was both! welcome aboard mate!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    GM Bent Larsen, late in his career:

"Most days now I have no ideas and just play the English."

-----

I always liked this one from GM Miguel Najdorf, one of the world's top ten players for quite a long period:

"When, in a position that has been played a thousand times, my opponent plays a NEW MOVE, I say to myself: Either this is a genius move or an idiot move. A genius is born once every hundred years. An idiot every minute."

CC Candidate Master
    "All that now seems to stand between Nigel and the prospect of the World crown, is the unfortunate fact that fate brought him into this world only two years after me."
    Garry Kasparov - prophetic 1987 comment.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triplecheck View Post
    GM Bent Larsen, late in his career:

"Most days now I have no ideas and just play the English."
    That increasingly explains my repertoire with white too.

Thread Information