Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G M Foods

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

G M Foods

No i'm not talking about Grandmaster Foods , but genetically modified foods (you know that which your media informs you so well on).
    Foods( like soy and maize products ) little researched that we are eating now!

Highly recommended book on the subject:

Seeds of Destruction

The Hidden Agenda of Genetic Manipulation

by F. William Engdahl

Global Research

What is so frightening about Engdahl's vision of the world is that it is so real. Although our civilization has been built on humanistic ideals, in this new age of "free markets", everything-- science, commerce, agriculture and even seeds-- have become weapons in the hands of a few global corporation barons and their political fellow travelers. To achieve world domination, they no longer rely on bayonet-wielding soldiers. All they need is to control food production. (Dr. Arpad Pusztai, biochemist, formerly of the Rowett Research Institute Institute, Scotland)

If you want to learn about the socio-political agenda --why biotech corporations insist on spreading GMO seeds around the World-- you should read this carefully researched book. You will learn how these corporations want to achieve control over all mankind, and why we must resist... (Marijan Jost, Professor of Genetics, Krizevci, Croatia)

The book reads like a murder mystery of an incredible dimension, in which four giant Anglo-American agribusiness conglomerates have no hesitation to use GMO to gain control over our very means of subsistence... (Anton Moser, Professor of Biotechnology, Graz, Austria).
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=14570
    Last edited by Axiom; 31-07-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: too much cut and paste with virtually no poster comment

Why The Secrecy ?

GM crops being grown in Britain
    Genetically-modified crops are being grown in Britain for the first time in a year after controversial trials of the plants were "secretly" restarted

Cultivation of a field of potatoes designed to be resistant to pests were abandoned over a year ago when environmental protesters ripped up the crop

But, without alerting the public as is usual when such trials begin, the project has been restarted, prompting environmental groups to warn that local farms and nearby residents could be put at risk.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agr...n-Britain.html

Why the secrecy?

Um, this quote from your link might offer a clue:-

Almost all of the 54 GM crop trials which have been conducted since 2000 have been targeted by opponents and vandalised.
    Glad to have helped!
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Why the secrecy?

Um, this quote from your link might offer a clue:-

Glad to have helped!
    ok , now you are ready for question2 : why were almost all of the 54 GM crop trials which have been conducted since 2000 been targeted by opponents and vandalised ?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    ok , now you are ready for question2 : why were almost all of the 54 GM crop trials which have been conducted since 2000 been targeted by opponents and vandalised ?
    Because irrespective of whether GM foods are safe or not safe, misinformed ludites thinking that they are catastrophically unsafe will rip them up anyway.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Because irrespective of whether GM foods are safe or not safe, misinformed ludites thinking that they are catastrophically unsafe will rip them up anyway.
    misinformed as in F. William Engdahl ?

OK, I assume Question 2 is multiple choice.
    Something like:

A) A number of thoughtful, intelligent, informed people take time out from their busy schedules to save the world in this way from the evils of GM crops.

B) Some kooks, luddites, conspiracy theorists and professional protesters with nothing to do and their dole cheques to spend have GM crops as one of their pushbutton issues.

I guess (B). Am I right?
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Ignorance, lack of education, and fear mongering would be my guess as to the reasoning behind the attacks.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    OK, I assume Question 2 is multiple choice.
    Something like:

A) A number of thoughtful, intelligent, informed people take time out from their busy schedules to save the world in this way from the evils of GM crops.

B) Some kooks, luddites, conspiracy theorists and professional protesters with nothing to do and their dole cheques to spend have GM crops as one of their pushbutton issues.

I guess (B). Am I right?
    NO
    Start reading the book, above.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Ignorance, lack of education, and fear mongering would be my guess as to the reasoning behind the attacks.
    No doubt many , fed by the corporate news media will elicit that programmed response , totally uninformed of both sides of the argument .
    Read the above book , so as to gain a more informed perspective.

misinformed as in F. William Engdahl ?
    Does F. William Engdahl (whose only scientific degree is in engineering) rip up GM crops?

Incidentally Engdahl certainly either was or is misinformed about oil (I'm no expert but my money is on both) since he has switched from being a peak oil hysteric to being an abiogenic oil nut.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 31-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Does F. William Engdahl (whose only scientific degree is in engineering) rip up GM crops?
    no but his readers understandably might

Incidentally Engdahl certainly either was or is misinformed about oil (I'm no expert but my money is on both) since he has switched from being a peak oil hysteric to being an abiogenesis nut.
    as RW opined , trust the evidence not the source .

as RW opined , trust the evidence not the source .
    Well, you're suggesting this book is worth reading. But if I wanted to read a useful book about GM food issues I would read one written by a qualified geneticist who had considered all sides of the argument. I'm not even going to waste my time opening one by an ex-engineer with a known track record of jumping from one extreme theory of the state of the earth's oil reserves to another.

Well, you're suggesting this book is worth reading. But if I wanted to read a useful book about GM food issues I would read one written by a qualified geneticist who had considered all sides of the argument. I'm not even going to waste my time opening one by an ex-engineer with a known track record of jumping from one extreme theory of the state of the earth's oil reserves to another.
    i'm sorry , you must be better informed on the subject than these people

What is so frightening about Engdahl's vision of the world is that it is so real. Although our civilization has been built on humanistic ideals, in this new age of "free markets", everything-- science, commerce, agriculture and even seeds-- have become weapons in the hands of a few global corporation barons and their political fellow travelers. To achieve world domination, they no longer rely on bayonet-wielding soldiers. All they need is to control food production. (Dr. Arpad Pusztai, biochemist, formerly of the Rowett Research Institute Institute, Scotland)

If you want to learn about the socio-political agenda --why biotech corporations insist on spreading GMO seeds around the World-- you should read this carefully researched book. You will learn how these corporations want to achieve control over all mankind, and why we must resist... (Marijan Jost, Professor of Genetics, Krizevci, Croatia)

The book reads like a murder mystery of an incredible dimension, in which four giant Anglo-American agribusiness conglomerates have no hesitation to use GMO to gain control over our very means of subsistence... (Anton Moser, Professor of Biotechnology, Graz, Austria).

i'm sorry , you must be better informed on the subject than these people
    Well I looked for the full source for the Moser quote and couldn't even find the full review, so given your long track record for presenting material quote-mined out of context I'm ignoring that one unless you can link to the full text of Moser's original review.

According to this favourable source Jost's book was launched by local Greens and Jost is a "famous anti GM expert". I don't dispute his qualifications but am unsure of his neutrality. Of course, not being neutral doesn't necessarily mean he was wrong, but I would prefer to start with a neutral source.

Would you buy a book that argued the case for GM crops and was written by a qualified employee of Monsanto?

Thread Information