Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Account Suspended
    I didnt know their were other browsers, and I'm sure if you polled the general (not chess) community, that over 85% would say the same. People would be to scared to use other stuff as their to scared to know how it works, IZ find installing simple programe hard and difficult to use.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    I didnt know their were other browsers, and I'm sure if you polled the general (not chess) community, that over 85% would say the same.
    IE accounts for only two thirds of the browser market, so it would be well under 85%.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    I'm sure if you polled the general (not chess) community
    I think a lot of people know about firefox, chrome and the like. I don't think the chess community is particularly computer savvy. Perhaps the online chess community is.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    No, it's not what they want - it's what they get. No take it or leave it - just take it. True, the average bloke-in-the-street user will use IE, not knowing it's a second-rate product and there are better options available. That knowledge comes as one gains computer know-how.

It's like buying a car. You get the basic model, then select whatever optional extras you fancy. You don't have to take what the dealer offers - you can go to AutoCheap and get better cheaper there.
    Just as you are free to go elsewhere and get another browser.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    If I buy Windows it's because I want an operating system. Why should I have an internet browser I don't want foisted on me without a choice?
    You don't have to. Nobody forces you to use IE or hundreds of other applications that come with Windows.

And if you don't want to buy Window, get a supposedly free Linux. Then share an experience.

two side notes:
    1. most of Linux distribution come with heaps of software as well (including browser), and nobody forces them to include IE.

2. If you buy Windows you will still need IE at least to download Firefox (or whatever browser you choose to use).
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster
    It's like buying a car. You get the basic model, then select whatever optional extras you fancy. You don't have to take what the dealer offers - you can go to AutoCheap and get better cheaper there.
    Same with Windows, you don't have to use the optional extras and can get better. They won't cheaper though.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    ... If you buy Windows you will still need IE at least to download Firefox....
    If? If? Come on mate. There is no if. It is when. And that's the problem.

And why it is 'when' and there is no competition on the shelves is even more sinister. And this is what we've been talking about for a decade.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master

Microsoft profit dropped.

Thats right, the amount Microsoft earned fell. If Windows 7 does not sell in heaps things could get worse.

The point is that the Microsoft near monopoly is being slowly eroded.

As people switch to free office packages why buy the Microsoft one.

A lot of people will not switch from packages they are used to even if there are better free packages due to the learning curve.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    If? If? Come on mate. There is no if. It is when. And that's the problem.

And why it is 'when' and there is no competition on the shelves is even more sinister. And this is what we've been talking about for a decade.
    There is a competition, Linux for example.
    Main point - you can start you own company, design better and cheaper OS and put it on the shelves.

There is a competition, Linux for example.
    Main point - you can start you own company, design better and cheaper OS and put it on the shelves.
    Yes you can start a new company. Yes you can design a better and cheaper OS. No you can't put it on the shelves. As I said in an earlier post, "is it Harvey Norman or KMart that you can go to and ask for a nice linux box with some freeware on it?"

I don't think you (and Jono and garrett) fully clocked that back in the day this has all been argued and investigated. Your assertions that it's all just a beat-up on poor ol' Microsoft is denying the bastardry that was endemic for two decades. I really can't believe that you all believe that in such a massive global market there were actually no other competitors , whereas every other market on the planet has a saturation of competitors slicing each other's throats for microbes of market share.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Grandmaster
    Yes you can start a new company. Yes you can design a better and cheaper OS. No you can't put it on the shelves. As I said in an earlier post, "is it Harvey Norman or KMart that you can go to and ask for a nice linux box with some freeware on it?"
    Linux GNU license forbids selling Linux, so you won't see it on the shelves.
    Yet you can find plenty of software (non-Microsoft) in those stores.
    I personally don't shop for software at KMart or Harvey Norman and not sure it's the best example.
    BTW, do they sell Mac?

I don't think you (and Jono and garrett) fully clocked that back in the day this has all been argued and investigated. Your assertions that it's all just a beat-up on poor ol' Microsoft is denying the bastardry that was endemic for two decades. I really can't believe that you all believe that in such a massive global market there were actually no other competitors , whereas every other market on the planet has a saturation of competitors slicing each other's throats for microbes of market share.
    Nothing stopped Linus Torvald from creating Linux. IBM had their OS (don't remember the name, wasn't very good). I am not even talking numerous imitation of DOS in late 80-s early 90-s.
    Apple was trying to compete with Microsoft as well. But they wanted to force their consumers to buy expensive hardware and software without any flexibility at all. No wonder consumers showed them a finger and voted with their money for the Microsoft.

Main question:
    Why do you fault Microsoft for the lack of competition? Did they force anyone to use Windows? They did not even have lobbyists in the Washington until late 90-s.
    Yes, Gates is a good businessman and a very good salesman. Yes, he sold the product very well despite the shortcomings. Many other try and fail, what's wrong with the success?

Yet you can find plenty of software (non-Microsoft) in those stores.
    Exactly! So there are people that can make software. But not OS on the shelves because you couldn't buy the boxes without Microsoft (old story not given airplay here).
    I personally don't shop for software at KMart or Harvey Norman and not sure it's the best example.
    Exactly. You blokes who defend Microsoft nearly all have one thing in common - you're v. savvy computer people NOT buying from KMart. 'Round about now there'd be a few KMart types just waking up to the fact that "hey why wasn't there a choice of OS in the shops?" There's a choice of every other damn thing in KMart.
    BTW, do they sell Mac?
    No. But that was Apple's choice to use their own vendors. Everyone's (consumers and Apple and retailers) loosening up a bit now. Please don't think (as many people do) that my beef is on behalf of mac - it's certainly not. I'm observing drones and corporate thuggery; or consumers who didn't have a choice and all the OS developers who were murdered in their beds.

Apple was trying to compete with Microsoft as well. But they wanted to force their consumers to buy expensive hardware and software without any flexibility at all. No wonder consumers showed them a finger and voted with their money for the Microsoft.
    Missing the point. Forget Apple. This is not about Apple. Pretend you never heard of Apple. Apple is doing just fine.

Why do you fault Microsoft for the lack of competition? Did they force anyone to use Windows?
    Yes. By their practices which have been covered copiously elsewhere, both here and in the courts. For the most part, Micosoft were unable to be fingered, even though everyone knew they were up to their eyeballs in it.
    Last edited by Basil; 29-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Linux GNU license forbids selling Linux, so you won't see it on the shelves.
    Forbidden from selling the license yes, but there is still a lot of money to be made in the subscription and support.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Or just a nice box without any software installed. Or clarification that the box is being purchased and the software is for free. You know, in aisle 36 for $179.00. Walk away.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Or just a nice box without any software installed. Or clarification that the box is being purchased and the software is for free. You know, in aisle 36 for $179.00. Walk away.
    free market ,
    buyer beware ,
    knowledge is power ,
    get informed ,
    there's a sucker born every minute .

Thread Information