Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Microsoft FINALLY succumbs to antitrust punishment

A long-time Microsoft antitrust champion on this board (moi) is very pleased to spread the word that Microsoft has finally succumbed to heavy fines (they certainly didn't grow a conscience) and for the first time, the software monopoly, I mean giant, will give users a choice as to which browser can used on Windows 7.

Why users would use Windoze and not a mac is different topic entirely
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I use Windows and I thought I already had a choice of which browser to use

What's stopping anyone from going to Mozilla.org and getting Firefox ?

If Opera was any good they would have more than 4 percent of internet traffic already, perhaps they could stop wingeing and work on their product a bit more.

What sort of lefty, hit the tall-poppy, bullcrap will they think of next

Garrett

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I use Windows and I thought I already had a choice of which browser to use

What's stopping anyone from going to Mozilla.org and getting Firefox ?

If Opera was any good they would have more than 4 percent of internet traffic already, perhaps they could stop wingeing and work on their product a bit more.

What sort of lefty, hit the tall-poppy, bullcrap will they think of next

Garrett
    Let me second that.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Rookie
    I guess all those years of using firefox under my windows operating system were just an illusion then, seeing as Microsoft never gave me a choice and all.

On a side note, as someone who has never installed, nor upgraded a Mac O/S, do Apple offer a choice of browser other than Safari?

Quote Originally Posted by Trahald
    On a side note, as someone who has never installed, nor upgraded a Mac O/S, do Apple offer a choice of browser other than Safari?
    I don't believe so!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

As to the ramblings of my two learned (and slightly loopy) PC friends above, I believe the antitrust problem is solved at somewhat the same time as it is moot. By that I mean that in the last couple of years at most, PC drones the world over have finally had their myopic goggles ripped off.

1. Apple i-everythings are everywhere. Gobbled at alarming rates by PC drones, I might add!
    2. Microsoft is now readily dissed by its loyal followers. There isn't a person on the planet who actually believes the product is quality.
    3. The drones now believe a Mozilla product may actually be a bit sharper than previously loved Microsoft second-rate offerings.

These things are new phenomena. 24 months ago, people like me (and that guy from Opera) were complaining that people like you were entirely clueless and were being duped. And we were right! You were all largely clueless as you filled PC fixit shops every Saturday. And little missie wanted daddy to tell her when the computer would be fixed.

And now you've woken up. It is true that you all can navigate and make your own grown-up choices as to browser - but you didn't believe that 24 months ago. And you weren't downloading Firefox. That's the point.

Carry on!
    Last edited by Basil; 26-07-2009 at 07:33 PM.

CC Rookie
    Scoundrels!

PS Mac is a fine O/S. Used it regularly in my days as an IT student. Still prefer Windows though.

Re point 2 above. The competition from Apple and Linux is great, and I hope it continues to grow, since it does force MS to lift their game significantly. I've been using Windows 7 RC as my main OS since it was released, and you would have to drag me kicking and screaming back to XP now, not to mention Vista.
    Last edited by Trahald; 26-07-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trahald
    Still prefer Windows though.

Call me. I can help

CC Rookie
    I think I'm beyond help

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    And now you've woken up. It is true that you all can navigate and make your own grown-up choices as to browser - but you didn't believe that 24 months ago. And you weren't downloading Firefox. That's the point.
    24 months? Try 5 years.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    24 months? Try 5 years.
    Is that how long you think it's been since the plonkers have been sufficiently self-aware and brave to break from the bosom?

It's a matter of perception of course. You are in the industry and perhaps you are well-placed to determine. Equally it could be argued that you are exposed more heavily to more savvy users and your 'five years' is when you noticed the awakening starting, but not when it had become sufficiently widespread throughout the 'Sharon and Darren' community.

Is that how long you think it's been since the plonkers have been sufficiently self-aware and brave to break from the bosom?

It's a matter of perception of course. You are in the industry and perhaps you are well-placed to determine. Equally it could be argued that you are exposed more heavily to more savvy users and your 'five years' is when you noticed the awakening starting, but not when it had become sufficiently widespread throughout the 'Sharon and Darren' community.
    None of the above, I mentioned it because I remember when I first used Firefox and it was 2004. I used to play with different browsers a bit but I don't bother much anymore. I tend to think this whole issue is rather moot but I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.

I prefer to have a browser provided with the OS than none at all. Would be quite a pain to have to get one if you didn't have access to another computer. Sure, it would be better if there was a choice of 2 or more browsers upon installation but if there were it might not be your browser of choice anyway. Novice users will just choose the recommeded browser (no prizes for guessing what that will be) and advanced users will install it until they get the one they want anyway. Doesn't seem to different from what happens now.

Out of interest, does Mac OS give you a choice to install IE?
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Out of interest, does Mac OS give you a choice to install IE?
    Mac doesn't give a choice to install (as in do you wish to navigate and find another browser) as Microsoft is now being compelled to do in Europe. This point was raised and answered earlier BTW.

However, I would suggest - and events seem to support my position - that none of this would have been enforced upon Microsoft had it not been such an obnoxious squisher of competition in years gone by.

While it may seem unfair (or an overreaction) to some that action is being demanded of Microsoft where it is not demanded of other companies, those people may take guidance from various western laws, regulations and oversight bodies governing acquisitions and mergers. Simply, once you're horrendously big, daddy's gonna make sure you don't abuse your market power.

Mac doesn't give a choice to install (as in do you wish to navigate and find another browser) as Microsoft is now being compelled to do in Europe. This point was raised and answered earlier BTW.
    Sorry yes I did see that, wasn't sure if you were joking.
    meep meep

CC Candidate Master
    When are the courts going to do something about Notepad always coming with Windows?

Thread Information