Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubiks Cube

CC Candidate Master

Rubiks Cube

on the holidays i decided to learn how to do the rubiks cube...
    well it took me a while to work out how to do it and now i am bored with it(after only two weeks of practice - chess is much better). I even managed to get my time to 1 min 5 seconds !!!!! (serious)....muhahamuahaha -try beating that record.
    about 57 seconds off the WR though

post your records on this thread
    Last edited by C.Antolis; 14-07-2009 at 05:31 PM.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I am terrible at rubik's cubes... however, I just wanted to note that instead of coming back and playing chess, you learnt how to do a rubix cube?!
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    I am terrible at rubik's cubes... however, I just wanted to note that instead of coming back and playing chess, you learnt how to do a rubix cube?!
    yep.

unfortunately i don't understand the rubik's cube as much as i do chess- its all memorization (trying to understand it seems impossible)
    Last edited by C.Antolis; 14-07-2009 at 06:21 PM.

I can solve it in 1min 3 seconds
    i havnt done it in a while tho...

CC Candidate Master
    The fun of trying to solve it yourself is sort of taken away by the fact there are little handbooks that solve the problem for you!

4x4 and 5x5 ones are really big and are quite hard to use but i like the 2x2 ones they're really cool and small

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan the Bdx Man
    The fun of trying to solve it yourself is sort of taken away by the fact there are little handbooks that solve the problem for you!

4x4 and 5x5 ones are really big and are quite hard to use but i like the 2x2 ones they're really cool and small
    I don't even know how to solve the 2x2 ones, not to mention the 4x4 and 5x5 ones!
    i doubt anyone can solve it themselves without looking at some reference. (but i think i read somewhere that a man finally solved a rubiks cube after 23 years without looking at a reference-enduring many sleep less nights and after 27,000 hours of trying. http://www.neatorama.com/2009/01/11/...d-rubiks-cube/ )
    i didnt find it fun to try and solve it- i found it frustrating.
    the fun was doing the thing in the least amount of time possible.

i can't beat your record yet sally

CC International Master
    Yeah I heard that story. I thougt it was pretty tight and I wonder if he worked out a system to do it or he just tryed over and over fiddling with it. I've never read any sort of reference on it or tried very much. Maybe I should give it a go.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC Grandmaster
    It was a rage about 30 years ago.

There was even a joke, something like "There is a Rubik's cube version for Irish with all sides coloured the same".
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Lol never tried it and probably won't anytime soon...
    Is it hard to solve?

When Rubik's cube first came out (1981?) there were no instruction books, so most people did solve it for themselves. It was such a big craze that (of course!) within a few months there were instruction books too.
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Steps

1. Familiarize yourself with the Notations.
    2. Choose one face to start with. In the examples that will follow, the color for the first layer is white.
    3. First Layer

Solve the cross : place in their correct position the four edge pieces that contain white. You should be able to do this by yourself without needing algorithms. All four edge pieces can be placed in a maximum of 8 moves (5 or 6 in general).
    2. Place the cross at the bottom.
    3. Solve the four corners of the first layer, one by one. At the end of this step, the first layer should be complete, with a solid color (in this case, white) at the bottom. You should also be able to place the corners without needing algorithms. To get you started, here is an example of one corner being solved:

4. Your cube should now have the first layer complete and look like this (from the bottom side) :
    4. Middle Layer

1. Place the four edges of the middle layer, one by one. Those edge pieces are the ones that do not contain yellow in our example. You need to know only one algorithm to solve the middle layer. The second algorithm is symmetrical to the first.

* If the edge piece is located in the last layer :

* If the edge piece is in the middle layer but in the wrong place or with the wrong orientation, simply use the same algorithm to place any other edge piece in its position. Your edge piece will then be in the last layer, and you just have to use the algorithm again to position it properly in the middle layer.
    2. Your cube should now have the first two layers complete and look like this (from the bottom side) :
    5. Last layer

1. Permute the corners. At this step, our goal is to place the corners of the last layer in their correct position, regardless of their orientation.

1. Locate two adjacent corners that share a color other than the color of the top layer (other than yellow in our case).
    Turn the top layer until these two corners are on the correct color side, facing you. For instance, if the two adjacent corners both contain red, turn the top layer until those two corners are on the red side of the cube. Note that on the other side, the two corners of the top layer will both contain the color of that side as well (orange in our example).
    3. Determine whether the two corners of the front side are in their correct position, and swap them if needed. In our example, the right side is green, and the left side is blue. Therefore the front corner on the right must contain green, and the front corner on the left must contain blue. If it is not the case, you will need to swap those two corners with the following algorithm:

Swap 1 and 2 2.a)
    4. Do the same with the two corners at the back. Turn the cube around to place the other side (orange) in front of you. Swap the two front corners if needed.
    5. As an alternative, if you notice that both the front pair and the back pair of corners need to be swapped, you can do it with only one algorithm (note the huge similarity with the previous algorithm):

Swap 1 and 3 :
    2. Orient the corners. Locate each top color facelet of the corners (yellow in our case). You need to know only one algorithm to orient the corners :

The algorithm will rotate 3 corners on themselves at once (from the side to the top). The blue arrows show which 3 corners you are turning, and in which direction (clockwise). If the yellow stickers are the way shown on the pictures and you perform the algorithm once, you should end up with the four yellow stickers on top :
    Image:Rubik_LL_corners_complete_112.png Image:Rubik_LL_corners_complete3D_156.png

It is also convenient to use the symmetrical algorithm (here the red arrows are counter-clockwise turns):

Symmetrical to (3.a) (3.b)

Note : performing twice one of these algorithms is equivalent to performing the other.

In some cases, you will need to perform the algorithm more than once :
    * 2 correctly oriented corners :
    Image:Rubik_LL_CO_11_540.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_12_123.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_13_185.png + Image:Rubik_LL_CO_14_139.png
    Image:Rubik_LL_CO_21_332.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_22_161.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_23_935.png + Image:Rubik_LL_CO_24_58.png
    Image:Rubik_LL_CO_51_809.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_52_345.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_53_343.png + Image:Rubik_LL_CO_54_269.png
    * no correctly oriented corner :
    Image:Rubik_LL_CO_31_931.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_32_753.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_33_614.png + Image:Rubik_LL_CO_34_739.png
    Image:Rubik_LL_CO_41_157.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_42_249.png = Image:Rubik_LL_CO_43_207.png + Image:Rubik_LL_CO_44_611.png

Or more generally, apply (3.a) in those cases :
    Two correctly oriented corners : Image:Rubik_LL_OC_2c_116.png
    No correctly oriented corner : Image:Rubik_LL_OC_0c_870.png
    3. Permute the edges. You will need to know only one algorithm for this step. Check whether one or several edges are already in the correct position (the orientation does not matter at this point).

* If all the edges are in their correct positions, you are done for this step.
    * If one edge only is correctly positioned, use the following algorithm :

Image:Rubik_LL_EP_11_863.png Image:Rubik_LL_EP_12_216.png Image:VMU_830.png Image:HUR_929.png Image:VMD_671.png Image:HUR_929.png Image:HUR_929.png Image:VMU_830.png Image:HUR_929.png Image:VMD_671.png (4.a)

or its symmetrical :

Image:Rubik_LL_EP_21_608.png Image:Rubik_LL_EP_22_334.png Image:VMU_830.png Image:HUL_668.png Image:VMD_671.png Image:HUL_668.png Image:HUL_668.png Image:VMU_830.png Image:HUL_668.png Image:VMD_671.png
    Symmetrical to (4.a) (4.b)

Note : performing twice one of these algorithms is equivalent to performing the other.
    * If all four edges are incorrectly positioned, perform one of the two algorithms once from any side. You will then have only one edge correctly positioned.
    4. Orient the edges. You will need to know two algorithms for that last step edmore "Fish" Pattern
    Note the DOWN, LEFT, UP, RIGHT, sequence to most of the Dedmore "H" and "Fish" algorithms.

Note you really have only one algorithm to remember since :
    (6) = + (5) +

If all four edges are flipped, perform the "H" pattern algorithm from any side, and you will have to perform that algorithm one more time to solve the cube.
    6. Congratulations! Your cube should now be solved.

Tips

* Know the colors of your cube. You must know which color is opposite which, and the order of the colors around each face. For instance, if white is on top and red in front, then you must know that blue is on the right, orange in the back, green on the left and yellow at the bottom.
    * For the color to start with, you can either always start with the same color to help you with knowing where each color goes, or try to be efficient by choosing a color for which it is easier to solve the cross.
    * Practice! Spend some time with your cube to learn how to move pieces around. This is especially important when you are learning to solve the first layer.
    * To solve the cross efficiently, first locate all four edges and try to think ahead about how to move them into position without actually doing it. With practice and experience, this will teach you ways to solve it in fewer moves. And in a competition, participants are given 15 seconds to inspect their cube before the timer starts.
    * Try to figure out how the algorithms work. While executing the algorithm, try to follow key pieces around to see where they go. Try to find pattern in the algorithms. For instance :
    o In the algorithms (2.a) and (2.b) used to permute corners of the last/top layer, you execute 4 moves (at the end of which all first/bottom layer and middle layer cubies are back in the first/bottom and middle layers), then turn the upper layer, and then execute the reverse of the first four moves. therefore this algorithm does not affect the first/bottom and middle layers.
    o For the algorithms (4.a) and (4.b), note you are turning the top layer in the same direction that you need to turn the three edges.
    o For the algorithm (5), Dedmore "H" Pattern, a way to remember the algorithm is to follow the path of the flipped edge on the top right and the pair of corners around it for the first half of the algorithm. And then for the other half of the algorithm, follow the other flipped edge and pair of corners. You'll notice that you perform 5 moves (7 moves if counting half turns as 2 moves), then half turn the top layer, then reverse those first five moves, and finally half turn the top layer again.
    * Progress further. Once you know all the algorithms, you may want to find faster ways to solve the Rubik's:

o Solve the first layer corner along with its middle layer edge in one move.[1]
    o Learn algorithms to orient the last layer corners in the five cases where two (3.a/b) algorithms are necessary.
    o Learn algorithms to permute the last layer edges in the two cases where no edge is correctly positioned.
    o Learn the algorithm for the case where all last layer edges are flipped.
    * Progress even further. For the last layer, if you want to solve the cube fast, you will need to do the last four steps two by two. For instance, permute and orient the corners in one step, then permute and orient the edges in one step. Or you can choose to orient all corners and edges in one step, then permute all corners and edges in one step.[2]
    * The layer method is just one of many methods out there. For instance, the Petrus method, which solves the cube in fewer moves, consists in building a 2󫎾 block, then expanding it to a 2󫎿, correcting edge orientation, building a 2󫢫 (two layers solved), positioning the remaining corners, orienting those corners, and finally positioning the remaining edges.[3]
    * For those interested in speed cubing, or those who simply don't like how hard it is to turn pieces, it is a good idea to buy a DIY kit. The pieces of speedcubes have rounder inner corners and DIY kits allow you to adjust the tension, making it a lot easier to move pieces. Consider also lubricating your cube with a silicon based lubricant.

======
    Wow, I "really" understand all that...

Hey kids
    Just for your information Judd (disgastipated here) showed me a new version of the Rubik's cube, it has more sides and it's almost like a sphere! It looks something like an overplayed (in concrete) cricket ball, a rotten green tomato and a migniature of those old distorted light thingos in the 80's disco places.
    Go beat (solve) that!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

We used to solve it by using a butter knife to remove the edges and then redeployed them as necessary.
    meep meep

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    We used to solve it by using a butter knife to remove the edges and then redeployed them as necessary.
    I remember throwing mine hard at a concrete wall , then smashing it with a 5lb mallet before running over it in my car .

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Rotfl Axiom

My sentiments exactly
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Thread Information