Thread: Moscow

CC International Master

Moscow

I was a bit disappointed with the level of chess in Moscow. We went to play some lightning on Saturday. I played in a 28-people swiss for adults. Anton played in a 6-people round-robin, where only kids under 16 were allowed.

I got 5.5/7 which was not very convincing; it must be the jet lag.

After 9 round Anton had 9/9. He blundered a rook in round 10 but managed to get a draw.

http://chessmoscow.ru/index.php?topicID=506&offPage=1

CC Candidate Master
    I was always under the impression that the average Russian club player isn't much stronger than the average Australian club player, except that there are a lot more of them. Is that true?

I figured that chess was like any other game/sport there (say, cricket?)... some people play occasionally, and only very few play on a somewhat serious level. In the end, the serious players in Moscow may be a bit better than the serious players in Sydney, but not by much.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by shan_siddiqi
    I was always under the impression that the average Russian club player isn't much stronger than the average Australian club player, except that there are a lot more of them. Is that true?

I figured that chess was like any other game/sport there (say, cricket?)... some people play occasionally, and only very few play on a somewhat serious level. In the end, the serious players in Moscow may be a bit better than the serious players in Sydney, but not by much.
    What is "the average club player"?
    There are players of all standards playing in Russia, but the tournaments used to be much more segregated on strength then in Australia (1500 and 2500 never had a chance of playing in the same tournament in my days). I don't know what the situation now.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster
    There were also few opportunities for 1500s to play tournament chess unless they were kids. As for Moscow chess scene..i think it is still quite strong. I think the event that Drug played in is a street chess event. However, may be he should try qualifying for Moscow blitz championship final where the first prize is a huge Russian Samovar (sorry, guys - no idea what the english word for "Samovar" is...it is kind of special kettle used exclusively for making tea). I tried qualifying for semifinals several times... but was never successful .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    There were also few opportunities for 1500s to play tournament chess unless they were kids. As for Moscow chess scene..i think it is still quite strong. I think the event that Drug played in is a street chess event. However, may be he should try qualifying for Moscow blitz championship final where the first prize is a huge Russian Samovar (sorry, guys - no idea what the english word for "Samovar" is...it is kind of special kettle used exclusively for making tea). I tried qualifying for semifinals several times... but was never successful .
    Perhaps "urn" would be a reasonable translation. But it seems like a fair bit of trouble to go to for a cup of tea.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Perhaps "urn" would be a reasonable translation. But it seems like a fair bit of trouble to go to for a cup of tea.
    Maybe Michael could have won the biscuit?

CC FIDE Master
    sorry, guys - no idea what the english word for "Samovar" is...it is kind of special kettle used exclusively for making tea
    The English word is 'samovar'.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Maybe Michael could have won the biscuit?
    Not even a biscuit
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Banned Hydra
    Not even a biscuit
    CRUMBS !

CC International Master
    This time it was 34 people swiss with the top seed being 13-year-old Dubov Daniil (with a rating 2420+), who recently came first in the "young stars" tournament in Kirishi:

http://www.somovs-memorial.ru/table.html

My result was 6/7 with 2 draws, one against Dubov and the other against Elishev. Dubov had exactly the same result, drawing with me and drawing with Elishev. Russian master Voevodin also had 6/7; after loosing to me in round 1, he defeated everybody else but did not have time to play Dubov. It is clear that Voevodin had much worse tiebreak coefficients, but it was a bit of surprise that my coefficients were lower than Dubov's. The reason was because I drew with Elishev in round 4, while Dubov drew him in round 5 as a result my progressive was a bit lower.

http://chessmoscow.ru/index.php?topicID=506&offPage=0

P.S. To be 100% correct, this time the organizers offered us to play a match. However, given that I played a match with Daniil before the tournament in which he defeated me 3:1, I felt it was fair for him to win this tournament.

CC International Master
    I went to play in Octyabr'skii chess club yesterday. It was 10-minute 8-round competition with 12 participants. I scored 7.5/8 and got the first prize. The second place was shared by a number of people including IM Kremenietsky. They scored 5/8, that is 2.5 points less.

http://www.octoberchess.narod.ru/

They promised that next time I will come some GMs will be there. Next time will not be as easy.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    I went to play in Octyabr'skii chess club yesterday. It was 10-minute 8-round competition with 12 participants. I scored 7.5/8 and got the first prize. The second place was shared by a number of people including IM Kremenietsky. They scored 5/8, that is 2.5 points less.

http://www.octoberchess.narod.ru/

They promised that next time I will come some GMs will be there. Next time will not be as easy.
    are you sure you really are in moscow ??

CC International Master
    Do you suggest to change the title to "Adventures in Moscow-fiction"?

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Do you suggest to change the title to "Adventures in Moscow-fiction"?
    that was a low blow drug !

Thread Information