Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So You Think You Can Assess 05

This one's a cracker! Well certainly a hed-fudge anyway. Let's go.

Black has just played 36...Bd4 (from e5), preparing 37...Qg3+ winning?!?!?!?

FEN Viewer

White fails to see the threat (as told by white in the aftermath) and plays 37.Bxa5. Upon 37...Qg3+ (winning white's queen), white resigns.

Did white resign prematurely? No engines please. Happy days
    Last edited by Basil; 08-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    White most likely did resign prematurely since although black really does get the queen (38.K moves Qxh3+ and black's queen is no longer attacked), upon taking the queen he appears to lose rook and bishop to Bxd8+ plus Rxc5. Also white's c-pawn looks dangerous. Even without being certain that black has no comeback (and I can't see one yet) it is premature to resign the position while such possibilities are still on the board/
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thanks for kicking off Kev. And a good place to start. That's what white realised straight after the game and before the players had left the board.

Then ... *ahem*
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Pedant alert here.

Is this thread not more in the area of analysis rather than assessment? If so, then it should be- So you think you can analysis 01

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Pedant alert here.

Is this thread not more in the area of analysis rather than assessment? If so, then it should be- So you think you can analysis 01
    Pedant call accepted! However your point is worth addressing and so I could reasonably ask - in the diagrammed position, which side is better! Frankly I think the position is beyond human assessment.
    The interesting part is that
    a) white appears to be winning cold, then
    b) black appears to have a total refutation, then

Last edited by Basil; 08-07-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Banned Hydra
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Pedant alert here.

the 1001st death ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Then ... *ahem*
    Of course the bishop can interpose after Bxd8+ (doh!) but then white has c7. But then black might win the rook with a queen check on e1d1, so white had to play Kf1 not Kh1 so that black could not take with check on f3
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-07-2009 at 11:12 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    R U sure?
    How can black check on e1? After Be7 white can exchange the bishop and play c7. black has few checks (and might even swap queens in some variations!), but white should eventually prevail
    Last edited by Igor_Goldenberg; 08-07-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    R U sure?
    Igor I have had the advantage of plugging the game into a box since your excellent suggested continuation at Freytag.

CC Grandmaster
    I referred to Kevin's post, didn't want to quote as white becomes visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    I referred to Kevin's post, didn't want to quote as white becomes visible.
    Sorry, I meant d1 not e1.

CC Grandmaster
    How can black get to d1?

37...Qg3+ 38.Kh1?? Qxf3+ 39.Kg1 Bxc5 40.Bxd8+ Be7 41.c7 Qd1+ winning rook and game.

That is why white has to play 38.Kf1 not 38.Kh1

Wow!!! great analysis!!!!
    Actually my first thought was Kh1?? thinking that Black would go for a draw!
    Last edited by ER; 09-07-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Grandmaster
    I didn't realised Kh1 was even considered

Thread Information