9 90.00%
  • Karpov

1 10.00%
  • Tie

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC International Master

Kasparov returning?

After long negotiations Kasparov will play 12 games match(4 rapid and 8 blitz games) against Karpov starting September 21 in Seville.Lets hope that Gary will return to chess!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I don't think he ever ruled out the odd exhibition match like this so this is probably not the start of a serious comeback.

Not Too Late!

In our way back from the Airport, after Freytag, Igor made the most witty comment about Kasparov, Chess and Politics!
    I leave it for him to tell us about it, however I believe that Garry is young enough and strong enough to come back and play chess at the top level!
    Whatever problems he had in the WC match vs Kramnink that led to his retirement later, were owed to his losing time fighting Putin and not to his diminishing superiority over his opponents!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Whatever problems he had in the WC match vs Kramnink that led to his retirement later, were owed to his losing time fighting Putin and not to his diminishing superiority over his opponents!
    This isn't correct; Putin had only just been elected at the time and Kasparov was not especially politically active then.

Kasparov's loss may have been partly caused by personal problems affecting his focus level during the match but it is also a fact that he and Kramnik were closely matched on a head to head basis during his career, and that Kramnik outprepared him for that match. At the time Kasparov was still greatly superior to Kramnik in his ability to crush lesser top GMs, but that didn't help him in their match.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    This isn't correct; Putin had only just been elected at the time and Kasparov was not especially politically active then.
    note the underlined word

Whatever problems he had in the WC match vs Kramnink that led to his retirement later were owed to his losing time fighting Putin and not to his diminishing superiority over his opponents!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    and Kasparov was not especially politically active then.
    This isn't correct! Kasparov an active communist party from 1984 joined the Central Committee of Komsomol (Youth Movement) in 1987.
    In 1990 he changed his politics and participated in the formation of the Democratic Party of Russia.
    In 1993 he was active in the creation of the coalition "Choice of Russia"
    In 1996 he was a major supporter of Boris Yeltsin's campaign.
    Apart from party politics, he wrote several articles, participated in TV debates in Russia, EU and the US and had declared his anti Putin stand before the Kramnik match!
    Last edited by ER; 09-07-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

note the underlined word
    Yes I note it. Now read what you wrote again carefully. You referred to problems in his match vs Kramnik "that led to his retirement later". That clearly states that the problems in his match with Kramnik were the direct cause of his retirement, but that his retirement happened later. Perhaps you are missing the word "and" somewhere in that sentence.

This isn't correct! Kasparov an active communist party from 1984 joined the Central Committee of Komsomol (Youth Movement) in 1987.
    In 1990 he changed his politics and participated in the formation of the Democratic Party of Russia.
    In 1993 he was active in the creation of the coalition "Choice of Russia"
    In 1996 he was a major supporter of Boris Yeltsin's campaign.
    So? That only makes him about as politically active as me (except that I have never joined a party), and the examples you give do not even include one prominent political incident from the four years before his match with Kramnik. Certainly he was nothing like as politically active as he is now and there is no more reason to blame his loss to Kramnik on his political interests than there is to blame Karpov's losses to him on stamp collecting.

How do you think Fisher is going against those old champs up there, Capa, Lasker,Morphy etc ? Maybe he is going on strike like he did down here.

Kevin the only similarity I can see between you and Kasparov is that you both have failed to overthrow the system, he in Russia, you in Tasmania!
    Also apart from not joining a party, you did not contribute to the formation of one!
    My arguement, although not accurately expressed in the first posting is his retirement from chess and not his loss to Kramnik!
    Reference to previous stages in his political career from 1984 onwards, from political speeches etc to him getting bashed over the head with a chessboard are well documented and in abundance.
    My reference to some of his political activities during the time before he finally retired does not necessarily promote him into a successful politician or even a sound politician!
    I am not going to continue arguing on this matter because I have more important things to do.
    BTW can you please do a Poll striclty about the possible result of this match?
    Last edited by ER; 09-07-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Kevin the only similarity I can see between you and Kasparov is that you both have failed to overthrow the system, he in Russia, you in Tasmania!
    Who says I was even attempting to overthrow the system here? What system?

Also apart from not joining a party, you did not contribute to the formation of one!
    ... yet ...
    Actually I prefer contributing to their destruction; it is much more satisfying.

My arguement, although not accurately expressed in the first posting is his retirement from chess and not his loss to Kramnik!
    Yes, that's fair enough then; I think he did retire primarily because he wanted to do other things rather than because his strength was on the skids. Probably his strength had declined a little but he could certainly have remained competitive at world championship contender level for several more years. After all he was not much older when retiring than Anand is now.

BTW can you please do a Poll striclty about the possible result of this match?
    I'll put one up at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    How do you think Fisher is going against those old champs up there, Capa, Lasker,Morphy etc ? Maybe he is going on strike like he did down here.
    what makes you so sure Bobby is 'up there'?

(Followed your corres game with James with interest by the way)

CC International Master
    It's getting played today (Tomorrow here). Have we put bets on who will win the match? My bet is on Kasparov which I think the majority of bets will be placed on however we could be in for an upset.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Kasparov will be taking this 'friendly' match extremely seriously even if he maintains the sophistry that as a retired professional he is adopting a non-professional approach

I will be very surprised if he doesn't walk all over Karpov but stranger things have happened (like not Kasparov not winning a single game in his match vs Kasparov).

This video of the first toss for colours then a press conference is quite interesting. Kasparov seems genuinely grateful that Karpov visited him in prison.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/ka...eo/#more-16399
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 22-09-2009 at 09:19 PM.

A very interesting press conference. Now, apparently, Kas leads Kar 2- 0 - see the following Chess vibes link

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/ka...rst-match-day/

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Kasparov will be on sbs news tonite at 6.30pm and again at 9.30pm - tell'em A/C sent you

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Kasparov will be on sbs news tonite at 6.30pm and again at 9.30pm - tell'em A/C sent you
    If I did that I 'd lose my job!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information