Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spectator interference

Player A vs Player B.
    Player A executes his move presses his clock and walks around the playing hall watching other games.
    Player B makes his move and presses his clock.
    Spectator tells Player A who, unaware of the proceedings, still walks around: "It's your move"!
    Legal/Illegal?
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Illegal
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Illegal
    Definitely. Law 13.7 says in part

"Spectators and players in other games are not to speak about or otherwise interfere in a game."

Informing a player that their opponent has made a move falls within the scope of this law.

It is also worth noting that arbiters are explicitly forbidden from doing this. Law 13.6 states in part

"The arbiter shall refrain from informing a player that his opponent has completed a move..."
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Definitely. Law 13.7 says in part

"Spectators and players in other games are not to speak about or otherwise interfere in a game."

Informing a player that their opponent has made a move falls within the scope of this law.

It is also worth noting that arbiters are explicitly forbidden from doing this. Law 13.6 states in part

"The arbiter shall refrain from informing a player that his opponent has completed a move..."
    do you mean when I fell asleep at the board after my move and my snoring disturbed the other boards and they woke me and pointed out it was my move anyway they were illegal?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    do you mean when I fell asleep at the board after my move and my snoring disturbed the other boards and they woke me and pointed out it was my move anyway they were illegal?
    The arbiter should wake you up and warn you that you are annoying other players in this instance. If a sleeping player is not annoying others they should be left asleep even if they lose on time as a result.

In the case given in the opening post I would severely warn the spectator and indicate that if they interfere in a game again they will be booted out of the playing area for the rest of the round.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    A snoring player should be woken up and warned that they are disturbing other players. No comment as to whether they have the move or not should be made.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    He he JAK... there is a player in my local club who, for the past ten years has habitually got up when it's his opponent's turn to move, to look at the surrounding games.

He is also one of those players who tends to go into long thinks, so I will get up when it's his turn to move, so as not to disturb his in-depth concentration, and watch the other games progressing.

This worked well for a few years, as I could always tell when it was my turn to move when he arose from the board.

However, in the last couple of years, he's twigged onto this, and at the end of a long think will play his move against me, and remain, stationary, at the board... Myself, on the other side of the room will notice no change until I actually walk back and see my flag up!

(At the moment, I seem to be the only player he does this against. Initially I was a bit offended, but nowadays, I take it as a great compliment that I am the only one at the club who has caused a change in his usual behaviour.)

In such circumstances, no one else in the room should have any right to tell me that it is "my move" when this is happening. Not the arbiter, and certainly not the spectators.

The only person who has any right to tell me that it is "my move" is my direct opponent... and this sometimes actually happens! Such as when they get tired of my wandering in between moves and come up and tap me on the shoulder and let me know that it is my turn to move.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Banned Hydra
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    He he JAK... there is a player in my local club who, for the past ten years has habitually got up when it's his opponent's turn to move, to look at the surrounding games.

He is also one of those players who tends to go into long thinks, so I will get up when it's his turn to move, so as not to disturb his in-depth concentration, and watch the other games progressing.

This worked well for a few years, as I could always tell when it was my turn to move when he arose from the board.

However, in the last couple of years, he's twigged onto this, and at the end of a long think will play his move against me, and remain, stationary, at the board... Myself, on the other side of the room will notice no change until I actually walk back and see my flag up!

(At the moment, I seem to be the only player he does this against. Initially I was a bit offended, but nowadays, I take it as a great compliment that I am the only one at the club who has caused a change in his usual behaviour.)

In such circumstances, no one else in the room should have any right to tell me that it is "my move" when this is happening. Not the arbiter, and certainly not the spectators.

The only person who has any right to tell me that it is "my move" is my direct opponent... and this sometimes actually happens! Such as when they get tired of my wandering in between moves and come up and tap me on the shoulder and let me know that it is my turn to move.
    Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee

He lets you know because your move has bored him to death and he wants you to hurry and spice it up. And he wants to get the misery over quicker. You have to look beyond the surface.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Actually I was going to ask a similar question. And further, what if the person who interferes is a participant in the tournament. What should the penalty be?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Actually I was going to ask a similar question. And further, what if the person who interferes is a participant in the tournament. What should the penalty be?
    I would just warn them for the first offense. But repeat offenders would need to be banned from the playing area for the duration of the round. If their game hasn't finished then I'm sure you can see the problem they have.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    If the person who interferes has an interest in the outcome of the game it should be treated as cheating and dealt with much more harshly.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Banned Hydra

Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    If the person who interferes has an interest in the outcome of the game it should be treated as cheating and dealt with much more harshly.
    In an ideal world these people would be summarily tried , taken out the back, lined up, blindfolded and given a repeat rapid fire dose for approximately 30 seconds.
    But , as i say , that is in an ideal world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    If there is an element of that. But I think in that situation more likely than not it would be someone who believed they were being helpful and didn't know the rules.

what about when that guy was trying to cheat via touch move against Lloyd Fell, after doing so he gave me a big smile I gave him a smile back and a wink, to lead him on that he could get away with it. I then reneged on him and dobbed him in coz Lloyd was my mate, was my smile and wink interference?

Thread Information