Kaitlin's Chess Ladder : Rulez

AVAILABILITY
    There is a general expectation that players will be available for play. Dormant or persistently difficult to contact players can expect to be taken out and shot, or failing that, removed from the ladder.

Being Marked As 'Unavailable'
    The ladder acknowledges that sometimes people will wish to be unavailable for reasons such as work, exams, wanting a break, internet access, personal matters and so forth. Players wanting a break can advise the administrator of the ladder and they will appear as 'Unavailable' on the ladder.

'Unavailability' can last for approximately a month. 'Unavailability' is not an option to permanently sit on the ladder and look pretty. We are here to play chess. If a player has 'had enough' of the ladder, they should ask to be removed. They can always come back

If the player above you on the ladder is marked as unavailable, then you may challenge the person above them.

CHALLENGES
    1. You can only challenge the person directly above you (see also 'Unavailability').
    2. Players have 1 week from the time a challenge is issued to start their game.
    3. A challenge is deemed issued with a post in 'Kaitlin's Chess Ladder'. The post should nominate
    - colours
    - statement of preferred location of game

It is also perfectly OK to send your challengee a gentle reminder via PM if they haven't acknowledged your challenge within a couple of days - and especially if you have seen them floating around the board. They may have forgotten or simply not visited the challenge thread.

Challenges, once received should not be forgotten or ignored. That is poor form. Please respond to all challenges promptly, be it accepting or declining.

DECLINING CHALLENGES
    You can choose not to accept a legitimate challenge. Reasons do not have to be declared. A declined legitimate challenge results in player transposition and is treated on the ladder as a loss. A pattern of declined challenges may be questioned by the ladder's admin.

One legitimate reason for declining a challenge is that you have already played that person in a Kaitlin Ladder game that finished within the last six months. You do not have to play that person again (within the six month time frame) if you don't wish regardless of
    - what has occurred on the ladder since then
    - who challenged whom
    - the outcome

COLOUR CHOICE
    The higher rung has choice of colour. *See 'drawn games' below.

LOCATION OF GAMES
    Games may be played anywhere by mutual agreement - for instance FICS, Playchess, ICC, OTB or in the Kaitlin's Chess Ladder corro games on Chesschat. If mutual agreement is not possible, then the game will be played in the corro games section of Chesschat.

RATE OF PLAY
    A player shall make a move at least every seven days. There is an expectation that, on average, moves will be made at a faster rate than every seven days.

Extensions. A player may ask for an extension of an opponent which we expect to be reasonably granted by the opponent. We expect to the requester to cobble together some semblance of a reasonable reason. Repeated extension requests are not encouraged. It is likely that repeated requesters will be encouraged to resign Repeat starters and resigners will be treated in a similar fashion to Disappearers - see below.

Failure to make a move or request an extension (before the expiry of seven days) may result in a loss at the ladder administrator's discretion or if claimed by the opponent.

DISAPPEARING ACTS
    Agreeing to play a game comes with social responsibilities. Simply disappearing without notice, mid-game is often a reflection of lack of respect for your opponent and poor self-management. Bad things can happen to ladder disappearers, including gross ladder slidage, total ladder flushing and the hurling of round oaths. Gunner doesn't like disappearers. A spectacular and novel reason to escape discipline under the disappearing regulations will always be appreciated by the board and may save one's neck.

LADDER MOVEMENT
    A winning challenge results in a transposition of the player's positions on the ladder
    EG In a game between Players 3 and 4 on a ladder, Player 3 moves to Position 4 and and Player 4 moves to Position 3.

A losing challenge results in both
    a) the winner remaining in the same position, and
    b) the loser dropping one place
    EG in a game between Player 3 and Player 4 on a ladder, Player 3 remains in Position 3 and Player 4 drops to Position 5

Player 5 (who may or may not have a game in progress) will be elevated to the location of Position 4.

A drawn game results in the same movement as if the challenge had been successful. The players' positions on the ladder will transpose.

ASSISTANCE
    Players may move pieces around on a chess board (electronic or real). No other other assistance is permitted. Expressly prohibited assistance is:
    - books
    - databases
    - engines

NEW PLAYER ENTRY
    Players entering the ladder will be placed approximately and unscientifically on the 'the vibe' of the ladder administrator. The vibe may or may not take into account
    - what's seems like a good idea at the time
    - the players ACF rating
    - stuff

--------------------------------------------------

INTERPRETATION OF RULES
    This ladder is not a serious ladder. Pointy heads and people getting bent out of shape will be taken out and shot.
    These rules may conflict and be difficult to be read in conjunction with each other. Where a difficulty or conflict arises, Gunner will do what he wants.
    Gunner's decision is final. See below.

REDRESS
    This ladder remains Kaitlin's ladder. She can take it back any time she wishes. Kaitlin may remove the ladder administrator of the day and appoint another one!

Gunner appointed himself boss with a mandate from no one. Equally he can be tossed out without any say in the matter by any despot.
    Last edited by Basil; 17-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

RATE OF PLAY
    A player shall make a move at least every seven days. There is an expectation that, on average, moves will be made at a faster rate than every seven days.

Extensions. A player may ask for an extension of an opponent which we expect to be reasonably granted by the opponent. We expect to the requester to cobble together some semblance of a reasonable reason. Repeated extension requests are not encouraged. It is likely that repeated requesters will be encouraged to resign Repeat starters and resigners will be treated in a similar fashion to Disappearers - see below.

Failure to make a move or request an extension (before the expiry of seven days) may result in a loss at the ladder administrator's discretion or if claimed by the opponent.

HOwie, maybe cut this down to 4 days after an opponents move has been made. Giving the next mover a day or so to find the move and a few days to respond, that is absolutely plenty. If they are only playing one game at a time it is sufficient. If the 4 day rule is well known the person waiting for the move knows when to expect a move to respond to, so that people who only visit occasionally and have to pay know when to log in.

And I hope you are backing the winner in my game - but don't give any hints away.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    HOwie, maybe cut this down to 4 days after an opponents move has been made. Giving the next mover a day or so to find the move and a few days to respond, that is absolutely plenty. If they are only playing one game at a time it is sufficient. If the 4 day rule is well known the person waiting for the move knows when to expect a move to respond to, so that people who only visit occasionally and have to pay know when to log in.
    Thanks Peter. Anyone else got an opinion? For mine, I find often enough, four days doesn't give me a sufficient window if
    a) it's a tough move and requires some time, and
    b) the particular four days are hellish at work/ home
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I think seven days is fine. Would be nice if that weren't the norm, eg a player moves daily/most days but every now and then takes seven days. So far the increment systems (+3 days per move) haven't really impressed, with no automatic way to track it and no evidence anyone is doing so manually.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    no evidence anyone is doing so manually.
    In the competition games, I do sometimes add up the days left manually when I think someone is getting close to timing out, but I have found that even though I think someone is close, they still have 10 or so days left so have not even bothered to say anything as they are not even close to timing out.

Squad, I'd be grateful if you'd sticky this thread - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    3. A challenge is deemed issued with a post in 'Kaitlin's Chess Ladder'. The post should nominate
    - colours
    COLOUR CHOICE
    The higher rung has choice of colour. *See 'drawn games' below.
    A drawn game results in the same movement as if the challenge had been successful. The players' positions on the ladder will transpose.
    Not sure if I like the idea of a challenger drawing his way up the ladder. I think that the challenger should have to win. To make this fair maybe he should get the choice of colour.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Not sure if I like the idea of a challenger drawing his way up the ladder. I think that the challenger should have to win. To make this fair maybe he should get the choice of colour.
    Good one. However on balance I'm happy with the status quo because as the draw-master heads up the ladder, he needs to win to stay there because of the same rule!

It could be argued that the rule slightly favours ladder movement over 'correct' ladder positioning, but isn't that part of the fun?

Anyone else?
    Last edited by Basil; 13-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.

please dont change that colour rule as i am on top and I need whatever advantage I can get to stay there. It is rare for a journeyman like myself to be on top so let me enjoy.

Hi Howie, my game vs Alana just finished in a draw! What are we doing now? Playing for a decided or we challenge other opponents?
    oh I just saw this Rule:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    So that means I am stepping up one position yeah? and challenge the next person?
    Last edited by ER; 18-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Hi Howie, my game vs Alana just finished in a draw! What are we doing now? Playing for a decided or we challenge other opponents?
    Who challenged who? I don't have time to look now, but I will when I get around to the ladder update.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'The Rulez'
    LADDER MOVEMENT
    A winning challenge results in a transposition of the player's positions on the ladder
    EG In a game between Players 3 and 4 on a ladder, Player 3 moves to Position 4 and and Player 4 moves to Position 3.

A losing challenge results in both
    a) the winner remaining in the same position, and
    b) the loser dropping one place
    EG in a game between Player 3 and Player 4 on a ladder, Player 3 remains in Position 3 and Player 4 drops to Position 5

Player 5 (who may or may not have a game in progress) will be elevated to the location of Position 4.

I challenged!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar

Cool

Im pondering making a long game (like many minutes) team tourney.. to explore the psycholical aspects of a chess game
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Thread Information