Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Live at the BBQ (slow loading)

I will return to this thread when I can. If someone knows how to help me post PGN please PM. Specifically I would like to know if it's possible to post multiple (let's say 7) games in one PGN viewer, thus making the page easier for people to read. Actually it isn't too bad on my computer but perhaps we should have a 'don't click here if you haven't got broadband' warning in the thread heading?

Anyway, the story goes that (inspired at least in part by Yermolinsky's The Road To Chess Improvement), Chris Wallis and Zhigen Lin have decided to annotate all their games from now on. I was hoping that this corner of the BB might be a place where they could put the games - good and bad - on display. I hasten to add that the comments will all be their own...although for the purposes of the Vic Open games it's likely that the wordier bits of Zhigen's notes are actually by Chris!
    Last edited by jeffrei; 23-07-2004 at 04:29 PM.

Event: Victorian Open
    Site: Box Hill
    Date: 2004.06.12
    Round: 1.42
    White: Van Dijk, Marieke
    Black: Lin, Zhigen Wilson
    Result: 0-1
    ECO: D04
    WhiteElo: 691
    BlackElo: 1644
    Annotator: Zhigen Lin
    PlyCount: 61
    EventDate: 2004.06.12

PGN Viewer

Round: 2.16
    White: Lin, Zhigen Wilson
    Black: Jager, Jesse
    Result: 1/2-1/2
    ECO: B31
    WhiteElo: 1644
    BlackElo: 1861
    PlyCount: 110

PGN Viewer

Date: 2004.06.13
    Round: 3.13
    White: Campara, Miralem
    ECO: B01
    WhiteElo: 1851
    PlyCount: 112

PGN Viewer

Round: 4.5
    Black: Jensen, Kai
    Result: 1/2-1/2
    ECO: B17
    PlyCount: 125

PGN Viewer

Round: 5.8
    White: Kempen, Leon
    Result: 1-0
    ECO: D03
    WhiteElo: 1974
    PlyCount: 123

PGN Viewer

Date: 2004.06.14
    Round: 6.15
    Black: Wyss, Felix
    ECO: D31
    BlackElo: 1823
    PlyCount: 63

PGN Viewer

Date: 2004.06.14
    Round: 7.12
    White: Lea, Tom
    ECO: B01
    WhiteElo: 1793
    PlyCount: 86

PGN Viewer

Last edited by jeffrei; 23-07-2004 at 04:07 PM.

insert PGN here
    Last edited by jeffrei; 23-07-2004 at 04:33 PM.

insert PGN 2 here

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    I will work on load time + multiple games soon.

A bit overloaded at the moment, esp with mtbuller site etc. Got alot of work to get through.

Thanks Jeo,

Like I said, the lag isn't too bad on my computer cause it's pretty fast and I've got broadband. Seriously, can we put a 'slow load' warning on the thread title? I'd hate for people to have their computers crash because they opened this thread.

Normally things won't be so bad since I'll just be doing one game at a time instead of 7.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    It loads within 20 seconds on dialup + 500Mhz P3. I see no "extreme" problem with it, but it is a bit annoying when there are plenty of games, nothing that can crash the computer though.

Thanks Jeo.

I'm going to leave off posting Chris's Vic Open games for a while, since:

a) he hasn't emailed me notes to his game with Rujevic yet.

and

b) people might want to comment on Zhigen's games and I don't want to flood them with games.

I should say, though, that Chris's annotations are more in-depth than Zhigen's...he's the one that's a fan of Yermolinsky's The Road To Chess Improvement. Anyone else have an opinion on that book?
    Last edited by jeffrei; 23-07-2004 at 05:57 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Why did Jager offer a draw in the round 2 game? It's not an obvious draw, at least not to me. I'd say Black has all the play and could even still be winning despite the inaccurate 53...Rc3. Time trouble?

Good question! I'm sure I asked the exact same thing to Zhigen at the time but I can't remember what he said. I'll ask him when I see him next, or maybe he'll actually join the BB and answer that way.

Zhigen says:

"It was about 7pm, so he was pretty hungry, he really thought it was a draw."

In the past few years I've come to realize that this sort of thing happens quite a lot in tournament play, and over time ends up costing the draw-offeror/draw-taker a whole stack of half-points, not to mention some valuable experience. As a coach I've tried to prevent it by generally forbidding students from offering draws and also forbidding students from accepting draws unless:

a) their position is worse (onus on them to provide convincing reasons why).
    b) the position is so dead drawn that even a relatively weak opponent would be expected to virtually always hold the draw (barring freak accidents such as leaving pieces en prise, etc).

The policy is still in its infancy, so we're not yet sure how to punish transgressors...
    Last edited by jeffrei; 24-07-2004 at 09:14 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrei
    In the past few years I've come to realize that this sort of thing happens quite a lot in tournament play, and over time ends up costing the draw-offeror/draw-taker a whole stack of half-points, not to mention some valuable experience.
    Hell yeah. I never had the foresight to annotate my games when I was a junior but I've been retro-annotating them (right from the start) as a spare time project over the last few years. I noticed that in most of my drawn games from my first few years one side was either winning or nearly so in the final position. And watching club games where draws are agreed, quite a lot of them aren't draws either.

As a coach I've tried to prevent it by generally forbidding students from offering draws and also forbidding students from accepting draws unless:

a) their position is worse (onus on them to provide convincing reasons why).
    b) the position is so dead drawn that even a relatively weak opponent would be expected to virtually always hold the draw (barring freak accidents such as leaving pieces en prise, etc).
    This sounds like good advice. I do something like this too - almost never offer draws, view incoming draw offers with great scepticism. Probably I need to get even more sceptical in weekenders - eg when I'm a pawn down and each side has 10 mins left and I'm offered a draw by a lower rated player, I should be backing my ability to outplay them in time pressure anyway.

The policy is still in its infancy, so we're not yet sure how to punish transgressors...
    Waiting for them to lose a tournament by doing it (been there, done that) is one way, but I guess you'd be wanting something a little bit more pre-emptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Waiting for them to lose a tournament by doing it (been there, done that) is one way, but I guess you'd be wanting something a little bit more pre-emptive.
    Repeatedly showing them how they could have won their 'drawn' position usually would work too.

Still not sure how to enforce these 'draw-rules' I've devised. Yes I am certainly looking for something more pre-emptive but solutions are hard to find. Perhaps the fact that they're putting their games on public display will set Chris and Zhigen against cowardly draws, but frankly it wasn't much of a problem for them anyway. It seems to be the Melbourne kids who've been around for longer (Chris first started playing 'real' tournaments in 2002, Zhigen certainly hadn't done much if anything before 2003) that have serious problems in this area.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think of the position where a draw was agreed in M.Rujevic-C.Wallis from the Victorian Open. I've actually got the PGN now but I know that Chris will get a chance to post the game himself later tonight. The basic scenario is that he's a pawn down with more than enough compensation (IMHO, and in his) but he takes a draw. This is actually very much out of character for Chris and he has vowed not to do it again.

Still, I've seen much more egregious examples of the 'cop-out draw'. It's especially bad when juniors agree draws against higher-rated players in positions (usually endgames) where, even if their winning chances are rather less than 100%, their losing chances are virtually 0%. I seem to remember a game from last century where I did much the same thing against Rujevic.

CC Rookie
    Round: 1.43
    White: Wallis, Christopher
    Black: Devoy, Sean
    ECO: C60
    WhiteElo: 1642
    BlackElo: 685
    Annotator: Chris Wallis
    PlyCount: 51

PGN Viewer

Last edited by NOTORIOUS; 28-07-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Thread Information