Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681

    "My System" - Valid today?

    Aaron Nimzowitsch's My System It has been hailed as one of the most influential Chess books of all time. A real classic! However, how relevant is it today? Do the stronger players recommend it to Chess students? Do Chess students find the great Master's teachings helful?
    I was thinking about these questions as I was looking with Serif at some concepts of a beautifully preserved hardback copy of "My System" at Box Hill Chess Club's library earlier this afternoon.
    So, what's your verdict?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Aaron Nimzowitsch's My System It has been hailed as one of the most influential Chess books of all time. A real classic! However, how relevant is it today? Do the stronger players recommend it to Chess students? Do Chess students find the great Master's teachings helful?
    I was thinking about these questions as I was looking with Serif at some concepts of a beautifully preserved hardback copy of "My System" at Box Hill Chess Club's library earlier this afternoon.
    So, what's your verdict?
    There must be a joke(s) with looking solo and sans serif but it's too late. Back to the question at hand - nup I got nothing, Carry on!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,364
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Aaron Nimzowitsch's My System It has been hailed as one of the most influential Chess books of all time. A real classic! However, how relevant is it today? Do the stronger players recommend it to Chess students? Do Chess students find the great Master's teachings helful?
    I was thinking about these questions as I was looking with Serif at some concepts of a beautifully preserved hardback copy of "My System" at Box Hill Chess Club's library earlier this afternoon.
    So, what's your verdict?
    By all means go ahead and read it; some good games in there. It's a bit overrated though.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    12,322
    I would absolutely recommend it.
    meep meep

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    There must be a joke(s) with looking solo and sans serif but it's too late. Back to the question at hand - nup I got nothing, Carry on!
    Serif is my friend Tuglaci, Serif 1644 whos is actually playing in this tournament! Now back to "My System"!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Serif is my friend Tuglaci, Serif 1644 whos is actually playing in this tournament! Now back to "My System"!
    I'm sure he is your friend and a wonderful guy too (even if he does have questionable taste in friends), but come on - 'serif'; 'in company' - and 'sans serif' and 'solo' ... that's gold Jerry! Gold!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    (even if he does have questionable taste in friends),
    look who's talkin! by the way I spent some time with Eclectic earlier, he is in great form!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I'm sure he is your friend and a wonderful guy too (...) but come on - 'serif'; 'in company' - and 'sans serif' and 'solo' ... that's gold Jerry! Gold!
    Enough Basil, back to "My System" I say!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    By all means go ahead and read it; some good games in there. It's a bit overrated though.
    What about the concepts Jono? I mean like Isolated QP ect!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I would absolutely recommend it.
    Same question to you Boris only with a slight variation! As a collection of games or as an "understanding the concepts" textbook?
    Thank you both for your response!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    12,322
    Mainly for the concepts.
    meep meep

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,364
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    What about the concepts Jono? I mean like Isolated QP ect!
    That's a case in point. Modern strong players playing White against the IQP will often play contrary to Nimzo's recommendation and play Bg5, Rad1, Re1 and attack the K-side, or if Black plays ...b5, aim for Nc5. A simplistic blockade of the IQP by a N is not enough with lots of pieces on the board, since White can work around it, and his own Ne5 is stronger.

    See my old IQP thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Same question to you Boris only with a slight variation! As a collection of games or as an "understanding the concepts" textbook?
    Thank you both for your response!
    Yet Boris as a French expert would be happy playing against Nimzo's quaint Advance lines, precisely by attacking the head of the P chain with ... f6.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  11. #11
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,184
    Word on the street is that a couple of the pawn grab lines or whatever have been labelled dubious because of the iron monsters being so good at calculating and defending against natural attacks. but usually pawn grabbing gtes stomped at club level anyway so computer pawn grab analysis usually can't be played without loads of prep.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    That's a case in point. Modern strong players playing White against the IQP will often play contrary to Nimzo's recommendation and play Bg5, Rad1, Re1 and attack the K-side, or if Black plays ...b5, aim for Nc5. A simplistic blockade of the IQP by a N is not enough with lots of pieces on the board, since White can work around it, and his own Ne5 is stronger.
    See my old IQP thread.
    Incredibly useful information in this article and thanks for providing the link to it Jono. However, what I mean by concepts is introducing the concept and not how to exploit he weaknesses or strengths, advantages or disadvantages etc. I understand the particular topic of the IQP was first introduced in Chess terminology by Nimzo! Is that the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Yet Boris as a French expert would be happy playing against Nimzo's quaint Advance lines, precisely by attacking the head of the P chain with ... f6
    Also concepts such as Pawn Chains and the correct way to attack them etc were they known and understood as a part of general Chess Principles by other Masters of the time or were just looked upon simply as patterns? My apologies but I haven't read Dr Tarrash's works, although I have one or two of his books! I am sure Boris knows all this stuff, and I would like him to expand a little too!
    Last edited by ER; 08-06-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Word on the street is that a couple of the pawn grab lines or whatever have been labelled dubious because of the iron monsters being so good at calculating and defending against natural attacks. but usually pawn grabbing gtes stomped at club level anyway so computer pawn grab analysis usually can't be played without loads of prep.
    Hi Lawrence and thanks for your always welcome input! Now, don't forget (when you have tme to read Jono's article - find link in his post!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Word on the street is that a couple of the pawn grab lines or whatever have been labelled dubious because of the iron monsters being so good at calculating and defending against natural attacks. but usually pawn grabbing gtes stomped at club level anyway so computer pawn grab analysis usually can't be played without loads of prep.
    Hi Lawrence and thanks for your always welcome input! Now, don't forget (when you have tme) to read Jono's article on the IQP - find link in his #10 post in this thread!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,364

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Incredibly useful information in this article and thanks for providing the link to it Jono.
    You're most welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    However, what I mean by concepts is introducing the concept and not how to exploit he weaknesses or strengths, advantages or disadvantages etc. I understand the particular topic of the IQP was first introduced in Chess terminology by Nimzo! Is that the case?
    Not really. Philidor pointed out how pawns are best working together, Steinitz was suspicious of the IQP, Tarrasch was a great advocate of them, Capablanca talked about having as few P islands as possible, and Nimzo saw himself as the anti-Tarrasch who thought they were weak. Nimzo's strength as a writer was memorable turn of phrase and skilled advocacy of his ideas, and of course he was a top player although not quite up to the world champs of his day.

    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Also concepts such as Pawn Chains and the correct way to attack them etc were they known and understood as a part of general Chess Principles by other Masters of the time or were just looked upon simply as patterns?
    My example above was to point out that dealing with Nimzo's pet Advance French lines often require the opposite of his "attack the P chain at its base", since ... f6 attacks the head.

    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    My apologies but I haven't read Dr Tarrash's works, although I have one or two of his books!
    Here is a case in point. Have a look at my comments on Nimzo's famous "overprotection" game against Salwe, showing that Tarrasch had already recommended Nimzo's "revolutionary" 7. dxc5.

    PS: this thread should be under Chess Training.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 09-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •