"My System" - Valid today?

Aaron Nimzowitsch's My System It has been hailed as one of the most influential Chess books of all time. A real classic! However, how relevant is it today? Do the stronger players recommend it to Chess students? Do Chess students find the great Master's teachings helful?
    I was thinking about these questions as I was looking with Serif at some concepts of a beautifully preserved hardback copy of "My System" at Box Hill Chess Club's library earlier this afternoon.
    So, what's your verdict?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Aaron Nimzowitsch's My System It has been hailed as one of the most influential Chess books of all time. A real classic! However, how relevant is it today? Do the stronger players recommend it to Chess students? Do Chess students find the great Master's teachings helful?
    I was thinking about these questions as I was looking with Serif at some concepts of a beautifully preserved hardback copy of "My System" at Box Hill Chess Club's library earlier this afternoon.
    So, what's your verdict?
    There must be a joke(s) with looking solo and sans serif but it's too late. Back to the question at hand - nup I got nothing, Carry on!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

So, what's your verdict?
    By all means go ahead and read it; some good games in there. It's a bit overrated though.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

I would absolutely recommend it.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    There must be a joke(s) with looking solo and sans serif but it's too late. Back to the question at hand - nup I got nothing, Carry on!
    Serif is my friend Tuglaci, Serif 1644 whos is actually playing in this tournament! Now back to "My System"!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Serif is my friend Tuglaci, Serif 1644 whos is actually playing in this tournament! Now back to "My System"!
    I'm sure he is your friend and a wonderful guy too (even if he does have questionable taste in friends), but come on - 'serif'; 'in company' - and 'sans serif' and 'solo' ... that's gold Jerry! Gold!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    (even if he does have questionable taste in friends),
    look who's talkin! by the way I spent some time with Eclectic earlier, he is in great form!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I'm sure he is your friend and a wonderful guy too (...) but come on - 'serif'; 'in company' - and 'sans serif' and 'solo' ... that's gold Jerry! Gold!
    Enough Basil, back to "My System" I say!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    By all means go ahead and read it; some good games in there. It's a bit overrated though.
    What about the concepts Jono? I mean like Isolated QP ect!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I would absolutely recommend it.
    Same question to you Boris only with a slight variation! As a collection of games or as an "understanding the concepts" textbook?
    Thank you both for your response!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Mainly for the concepts.
    meep meep

What about the concepts Jono? I mean like Isolated QP ect!
    That's a case in point. Modern strong players playing White against the IQP will often play contrary to Nimzo's recommendation and play Bg5, Rad1, Re1 and attack the K-side, or if Black plays ...b5, aim for Nc5. A simplistic blockade of the IQP by a N is not enough with lots of pieces on the board, since White can work around it, and his own Ne5 is stronger.

See my old IQP thread.

Same question to you Boris only with a slight variation! As a collection of games or as an "understanding the concepts" textbook?
    Thank you both for your response!
    Yet Boris as a French expert would be happy playing against Nimzo's quaint Advance lines, precisely by attacking the head of the P chain with ... f6.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC International Master
    Word on the street is that a couple of the pawn grab lines or whatever have been labelled dubious because of the iron monsters being so good at calculating and defending against natural attacks. but usually pawn grabbing gtes stomped at club level anyway so computer pawn grab analysis usually can't be played without loads of prep.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

That's a case in point. Modern strong players playing White against the IQP will often play contrary to Nimzo's recommendation and play Bg5, Rad1, Re1 and attack the K-side, or if Black plays ...b5, aim for Nc5. A simplistic blockade of the IQP by a N is not enough with lots of pieces on the board, since White can work around it, and his own Ne5 is stronger.
    See my old IQP thread.
    Incredibly useful information in this article and thanks for providing the link to it Jono. However, what I mean by concepts is introducing the concept and not how to exploit he weaknesses or strengths, advantages or disadvantages etc. I understand the particular topic of the IQP was first introduced in Chess terminology by Nimzo! Is that the case?
    Yet Boris as a French expert would be happy playing against Nimzo's quaint Advance lines, precisely by attacking the head of the P chain with ... f6
    Also concepts such as Pawn Chains and the correct way to attack them etc were they known and understood as a part of general Chess Principles by other Masters of the time or were just looked upon simply as patterns? My apologies but I haven't read Dr Tarrash's works, although I have one or two of his books! I am sure Boris knows all this stuff, and I would like him to expand a little too!
    Last edited by ER; 08-06-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Word on the street is that a couple of the pawn grab lines or whatever have been labelled dubious because of the iron monsters being so good at calculating and defending against natural attacks. but usually pawn grabbing gtes stomped at club level anyway so computer pawn grab analysis usually can't be played without loads of prep.
    Hi Lawrence and thanks for your always welcome input! Now, don't forget (when you have tme to read Jono's article - find link in his post!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Hi Lawrence and thanks for your always welcome input! Now, don't forget (when you have tme) to read Jono's article on the IQP - find link in his #10 post in this thread!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thumbs up

Incredibly useful information in this article and thanks for providing the link to it Jono.
    You're most welcome.

However, what I mean by concepts is introducing the concept and not how to exploit he weaknesses or strengths, advantages or disadvantages etc. I understand the particular topic of the IQP was first introduced in Chess terminology by Nimzo! Is that the case?
    Not really. Philidor pointed out how pawns are best working together, Steinitz was suspicious of the IQP, Tarrasch was a great advocate of them, Capablanca talked about having as few P islands as possible, and Nimzo saw himself as the anti-Tarrasch who thought they were weak. Nimzo's strength as a writer was memorable turn of phrase and skilled advocacy of his ideas, and of course he was a top player although not quite up to the world champs of his day.

Also concepts such as Pawn Chains and the correct way to attack them etc were they known and understood as a part of general Chess Principles by other Masters of the time or were just looked upon simply as patterns?
    My example above was to point out that dealing with Nimzo's pet Advance French lines often require the opposite of his "attack the P chain at its base", since ... f6 attacks the head.

My apologies but I haven't read Dr Tarrash's works, although I have one or two of his books!
    Here is a case in point. Have a look at my comments on Nimzo's famous "overprotection" game against Salwe, showing that Tarrasch had already recommended Nimzo's "revolutionary" 7. dxc5.

PS: this thread should be under Chess Training.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 09-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Thread Information