Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC International Master

2009 ANU Open (25-26 July)

The ANU Open will be held on the weekend of 25 and 26 July at Fenner Hall, Canberra. Click the link in the signature below for more information. Apart from the minor date change arrangements are identical to last year.

The web page works best in IE6+. There may be some formatting issues in other browsers though it should be largely readable. At this stage I don't have the brochure and entry form in electronic format, which will be added shortly, but I think all the relevant information is on the web page. Please refer any questions to the listed contact.

CC Candidate Master
    Is this only ACF rated, or FIDE also?

Do many of our top players tend to play in this?

Quote Originally Posted by black

only ACF rated

top rated players do participate

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by black

Only ACF, too fast for FIDE rating.

A number of top players participate, for instance Smerdon (Aust No. 2) won in 2008 and Zhao (No 1) in 2007. Ian Rogers won several times and players like Johansen, Xie, Bjelobrk, Solomon, West etc (and one year GM Conquest (Eng)) have also won.

See the 2008 and 2007 results for recent lists. Haven't heard yet who is playing this year.

CC Candidate Master
    Thank you very much.

The time limit of 60/10 (Fischer) is too fast for FIDE rating as Ian has pointed out and for that reason very few of our GP weekenders can be FIDE rated.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    The time limit of 60/10 (Fischer) is too fast for FIDE rating as Ian has pointed out and for that reason very few of our GP weekenders can be FIDE rated.

DJ
    Another reason some GP events can't be FIDE rated is the [adjective] practice of running three rounds in one day (even with a 90/30 time control sometimes). The point being FIDE events are only allowed a maximium of two rounds per day.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Another reason some GP events can't be FIDE rated is the [adjective] practice of running three rounds in one day (even with a 90/30 time control sometimes). The point being FIDE events are only allowed a maximium of two rounds per day.
    This seems to have changed in the regs to operate from 1 July 2009 - see the quoted regs below:

1.0 Rate of Play
    1.1 For a game to be rated each player must have the following minimum periods in which to complete
    all the moves, assuming the game lasts 60 moves.
    Where at least one of the players in the tournament has a rating 2200 or higher, each player must
    have a minimum of 120 minutes.
    Where at least one of the players in the tournament has a rating 1600 or higher, each player must
    have a minimum of 90 minutes.
    Where all the players in the tournament are rated below 1600, each player must have a minimum
    of 60 minutes.
    1.2 Games played with all the moves at a rate faster than the above are excluded from the list.
    1.3 Where a certain number of moves is specified in the first time control, it shall be 40 moves. Players
    benefit from uniformity here.
    2.0 Laws to be followed
    2.1 Play must take place according to the FIDE Laws of Chess. The federation may have minor
    deviations from the Laws of Chess, if approved by the Technical Commission.
    3.0 Number of rounds per day
    3.1 No more than three rounds per day and a total playing time of no more than 12 hours.
    No doubt FIDE recognises the need for different rules for tournaments made up of lower rated players now that the rating floor is to drop to 1200.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

How many people from Victoria usually enter for the minor tournament?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maddam12
    How many people from Victoria usually enter for the minor tournament?
    None in the last couple of years (see links in #4). Maybe it clashes with something there or possibly it's just considered a long way to go for a two-day tournament.

Thank you
    I probably wont go then

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    I thought the two rounds per day only applied to tournaments for title norms, perhaps I am wrong.
    Scott

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    I thought the two rounds per day only applied to tournaments for title norms, perhaps I am wrong.
    Scott
    I think Scott is right, more than two rounds precludes norms but not FIDE rating. An example is the NSW Open which has three rounds on the second day and is FIDE rated. I can't get into the FIDE site right now though as this event is not FIDE rated it isn't urgent to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Scott
    You are correct.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You are correct.
    See my post #9 above.

DJ

Thread Information