Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ok some information a day early I will have more tomorrow. Im sure Jenni will post some things too.

Food: I know the availability of food has been a major concern and from my point of view, a very understandable one.

George, Kerry and myself have seen the supermarket in mansfield and it is just like any normal supermarket in a large city. All the options for what looked like reasonable prices. So no probs with shopping there.

the mercure have agreed to alter their menu quite a bit to fit in with what our players diets might require eg extra asian type options etc. Prices will be just like a normal city restaurant. So you will be paying the same amount for food as you would be in the city if you eat at the mercure restaurants.

Accommodation: We were told very clearly by mercure that people wanting accommodation were to ring the mercure directly. Therefore the organising committee will not be handling any enquiries about accommodation. I cant stress this highly enough. We were told in no uncertain terms that accommodation matters were to be handled by the mercure, not by the organising team.

Again, questions regarding alternate packages for adult/children are to be directed to Roman or Natasha from mercure. When we were leaving, Roman told us that they have had alot of enquires and the rooms with kitchens have already been booked out. Seems some ppl arent as sceptical as amiel, or have been to mt buller before and realise what the mercure is like.

What to do during non playing times: the mercure and related tourist centres are going to change some of their packages/tourist travels to fit in with what our players will want to see, especially for the juniors. Mt buller is a ghost town during summer and so the mercure and accor are bending over backwards to make us happy and enjoy our time there. the exact details are still being worked out as both sides get more information about what is available and what our players want.

for those staying at mercure- there is also a gym, squash court, basketball courts, swimming pool, spa and a few decent pool tables. Bring your own dial up account and there is dial up internet access throughout the mercure.

I will admit that non of us got to look at the other lodges. We arrived at about 1pm sunday and spent the afternoon and early evening speaking to mercure and looking over the venue etc. then on monday, we had a massive whiteout and just getting around outside was extremely difficult.

According to mercure, it has snowed a few times during summer on occasions too. I think that would look great, to have it snow during the ascc

Shuttle buses: there will be shuttle buses going from mt buller to mansfield return every couple of days for those who want to use the supermarket and other shops.

Vline transport- George Kerry and I travelled the vline route back from mt buller to melbourne and it is a very scenic and enjoyable 3 hour trip. the trip is not boring and endless. When i was told that mt buller is a ghost place during summer i almost fell off my chair.

New years eve party- there will be a new years eve party held.

Playing venue- the playing venue is at a restuarant called abom. it is large spacious and is on two levels. We will be playing all tournaments on the top level. the abom will comfortably sit all the required people for each tournament. the lighting is very good, especially in summer with some natural light coming in.

Titled players- negotations are still continuing with all concerned parties, but we have confirmed one gm and more are about to commit.

analysis rooms- we have been able to get separate analysis/preparations rooms for each state. This means that each state will be able to prepare in secret, no partitions etc.

More info about rooms- this information is direct from Roman, the main contact person regarding accommodation at mercure.

Rooms with kitchens- 12 rooms, 50 % deposit, you have seven days to pay or lose the booking and it goes to next person in line who pays. The remaining balance is paid when you get to mercure.

Without kitchens- credit card number is required but no money is required when making booking. 1 month before your first day of accommodation,the 50% deposit rate must be paid. The other 50% is paid when you arrive.

there are 65 rooms in total at the mercure grand chalet. 50% of the rooms have already been booked for the time of the juniors already.

Roman also added that some of the other lodges will start upping their accommodation fees once they find out that mercure is about to fill their rooms.

Bye issue if odd number of players.-

In the australian open/ minor, we will have a player available who will play when a round has a odd number of players. In the junior we hope to do the same, but its not as easy as for the open/minor as none of our extended organising team is a junior

Australian Schools Championships

This information and the entry form will be e-mailed out to State and Junior Organisations tomorrow.

Teams must be qualified by their State/Junior Organisation.

Code:
    Hospitality Textiles 
    2004 Australian Schools Teams Championships

Tournament Conditions

Dates and Venue
    The championships will be held on 4th and 5th December 2004 at the ABOM restaurant, Mt Buller, Victoria 

Eligibility
    Each State and Territory is entitled to enter one team in each of the following championships:
    Australian Secondary Schools Open
    Australian Secondary Schools Girls
    Australian Primary Schools Open
    Australian Primary Schools Girls

Teams
    Each team shall comprise players from one school. Players nominated for a girl’s championship cannot play in an open championship; players nominated for an open championship cannot play in a girl’s championship. 
    Teams shall consist of four players plus up to 4 reserve players. 
    Team members must be bona fide students at the school entering the team.
    Players and reserves are to be entered, and to play, in their teams in order of playing strength, which may not be varied during the championships. National or junior ratings are indicative of playing strength unless there are valid reasons for a school to believe that a player’s current rating does not refect the player’s true strength.  

What if there is a Bye?

Because there is no “home” state to provide an extra team to ensure there is no bye, the state that won their division in 2003 will be asked to provide an extra team if a bye is occurring in that division. If they do not wish to, then we will ask the other states to nominate a team and if more than one state wishes to, then we will have a draw for which state gets the extra team. 

ACT -   fills the bye for the Girls Primary
    QLD -   fills the bye for the Girls Secondary
    NSW – fills the bye for the Open Primary
    NSW – fills the bye for the Open Secondary

Tournament Director
    The chief arbiter for the championships is Charles Zworestine 
    Questions or concerns during the course of the tournament should be raised with the chief arbiter.

Tournament Organiser
    The tournament organiser is Jenni Oliver
    Mail :    39 Jaeger Cct, Bruce ACT 2617
    e-mail:  jenni@stratagemcc.com.au
    phone:  02 6253-2848

Registration
    Schools must forward entry forms, with details of players and reserves, by mail or e-mail to reach the tournament organiser by 24th October 2004.  Where qualifying tournaments still have to be completed, then please let the tournament organiser know by the 24th October if it is likely that a team will be entered. 
    Final registration of teams, with any late changes, will take place at 9:00 am on Saturday 4th December.
    Upon registration, the playing order for each team will be confirmed.

School Profiles

Each school will be asked to provide a school profile to be put up on the web.  It doesn’t have to be very long.  A description of the school, the chess environment at the school and a bit about the team, is all that is needed. A link to the school’s web site, would be nice. 

Reserves
    Reserves may be freely used throughout the tournament.
    The chief arbiter should be notified of the intention to substitute a reserve not later than 15 minutes before the start of the round in which the substitution is to take place.
    When a reserve is substituted, the team playing order as advised upon registration must be preserved.

Format
    Each championship will be played as a teams round-robin tournament.

Playing times
    Round 1 will commence at 10:00am.
    Because of the 10 seconds increment, it is possible that a round may be late finishing.  In this case the next round will start 15 minutes after the conclusion of the previous round. 

Apart from this Round times will be 10:00am, 1pm and 3:30 pm each day. 

If a sixth round is not needed, then 3 rounds will be played on the Saturday and 2 rounds on the Sunday. 

If only 4 teams are registered, then a double round robin, requiring 6 rounds will be played. If this only applies to one division, then an early round will be played on the Sunday morning, for this Division only. However the intention is to invite extra team to make up each Division to a minimum of 6 teams.

Players should be seated and ready for play five minutes before the scheduled commencement time for each round. Announcements to the players will be made at this time.

Time Controls
    In the Secondary school championships, the time control for the whole game will be 60 minutes per player with an added 10 seconds increment per move made from move 1.
    In the primary schools championship, the time control for the whole game will be 40 minutes per player with an added 10 seconds per move made from move 1.

Recording Moves
    Players shall record their games on the score sheets provided. As is usual, players need not record moves when they have less than 5 minutes remaining of their allotted time. 

FIDE Laws
    The FIDE Laws of Chess will apply.

Results
    ACF By Law 5.
    a.Each Championship shall be won by the team having the highest team points being the sum of points scored by all individual members of the team, including reserves.
    b.If more then one team in a Championship has the same number of team points, the following tie-break principles apply in the order listed: (i) match points - 2 for win, 1 for a draw, o for loss; (II) team points scored in matches between the tied teams - eg. if 3 teams in a tie each team would have a score out of 12; (iii) as in (ii) but with preference given to wins on the highest board.
    c.If, after applying (i) to (iii), any teams are still tied, the title is to be shared by those teams.

Getting There
    If you are not planning to drive to Mt Buller, then the best way is to fly to Melbourne (Tullamarine Airport).  Go from there to Spencer St Station.  The timetable for the Melbourne to Mansfield coach can be found at http://www.vlinepassenger.com.au/tim...mlb_mnsfld.htm

The general v-line webpage address is 

http://www.vlinepassenger.com.au/

A shuttle bus will take people from Mansfield to Mt Buller and return. 

Accommodation
    Preferred accommodation is at the Mercure Grand Chalet Hotel at Mt Buller. 

Website is http://www.mtbullerchalet.com.au/

All accommodation booking to be made direct with the Mercure on 03 5777-6566.  Contact person is Natasha Solczaniuk.  For the schools comp and the Aus Juniors, the Mercure will consider a child to be anyone competing in the competitions.  Normally a child is under 14. The Mercure is allowing 3 children in a room for $90 (continental breakfast), or 2 adults in a room (full breakfast) for $120.00.  The rooms have a double/Queen size bed and a sofa bed, which could sleep two people, but it depends on the size of the person.  The 4th child would be $20. If a third adult is added to the adult room, that is $50 including breakfast.  

If you do not wish to stay at the Mercure, then a large amount of other accommodation can be found at http://www.mtbuller.com.au/accommodation/
    Please note that not all of these are open in the summer. Some of the lodges will open for the weekend, but will require a minimum no of people staying there. 

Food Arrangements

Lunches will have to be pre-ordered.  Lunch order forms will be provided to teams as they enter. Prices will be in the order of $2 for a simple sandwich, $3 for a more complicated one. E.g. a filling and salad.  

Free Afternoon tea will be provided on both days (after the second and fifth rounds).

Social Evening
    As usual a Social evening will be held at the completion of  round 3.  This will be subsidised to keep costs as low as possible.  

Prize-Giving
    Prize-giving will be held at the completion of round 5 (approx 3:30).  In the event of 6 rounds being needed then prize giving will take place at approximately 5:30.  Trophies will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and third places and there will be a trophy for the school as well as individual trophies.

Here is a copy of the four emails that I have exchanged with Latrobe regarding their facilities during summer.

Dear Latrobe Uni Public Sports Centre,

Hello, my name is Garvin Gray and I am one of the organisers for the
    australian open and junior chess championships that is going to be held at
    mt buller from december 28 to January 22.

I have seen the website regarding activities during summer
    http://www.latrobe.edu.au/mtbuller/SportsCentre.html. I am attempting to
    find out if people who are not staying at mercure grand chalet, but are
    staying at other lodges, are able to use these facilities. Is the url
    still accurate?

Can you please give me an update on these situations?

Yours Faithfully,

Garvin Gray
    Mt Buller Chess Organiser

Hi Garvin,

At this stage the gymnasium will be open and also the Mercure Chalet has
    a pool, squash courts and some gym equipment that is open to the public
    during summer. The sports hall with the courts will probably not be open
    as I think they plan to have the chess tables in there.

We will know the arrangements nearer the time. I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Julie
    Receptionist
    La Trobe University
    Mt Buller Campus

The sports hall with the courts will probably not be open as I think they
    plan to have the chess tables in there.

Hello Julie,

In response to the above sentence, the chess tournaments are going to be
    held in abom restaurant as this is perfectly sized for our needs.

If i understand your previous response correctly, this will then change
    the situation regarding the sports hall. Is this correct?

Cheers,

Garvin Gray
    Mt Buller Chess Organiser

Hello Garvin,

The sports hall is open to the public at varying prices depending on the
    type of activity undertaken. We won't know the days or hours that the
    sports hall will be open until nearer the time, unless you specially
    want to make a group booking at a certain time.

Regards,
    Julie Ferrier
    Receptionist
    La Trobe University
    Mt Buller Campus

Hi All,

The pool,spa,gym,squash court,half basketball court in the Chalet will ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO GUESTS STAYING AT THE CHALET. All rooms with kitchens HAVE BEEN BOOKED for both tournaments.

George Howard
    Last edited by george; 06-08-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Hi All,

Change to Junior dates IMPORTANT!!!!!!

The dates for the Australian Junior are 11th January to 21st January not 23rd January as publicised before. It seems the Mercure have a Porsche rally starting after this date and this information fell through the cracks with the Changeover of Organisers. Roman the Events Manager at Mercure Mt Buller apologises as he should have picked it up at the start.

Consequences : U12 - the rest days coincide with the Junior and number 2 not four as before - accomodation costs are decreased.
    Junior - on day two and first day after second rest day
    there will be two rounds - accomodation costs are decreased.

OPEN NEWS - 2 confirmed GM's one being GM Darryl Johansen - we expect about 6 - 7 Grandmasters in the Open - this is within budget and achievable. Communications and negotiations are taking place between a number of Italian and especially Phillipine chess players interested in playing in the Open. This is over and above discussions I am pursuing with GM's.

THE INFO PACK , entry forms etc have now gone to printers and Jeo so definitive information will be available on the Website shortly.

Again apologies about Junior dates cant be helped.

Regards to ALL
    George Howard
    Main Organiser Mt Buller Tourneys
    Last edited by george; 06-08-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Hi All,

More good news!

GM Dejan Antic has agreed to play in the Australian Open making three confirmed GM's with a few more to come - please watch this space especially around early September when a certain GM I am chasing will make a decision on whether to play.

Regards to ALL
    George Howard

Hello everyone,

Lidums has come aboard as the naming rights sponsor for the australian open. So the australian open will now be called the Lidums Australian Open.

Mercure Grand Chalet are still the main sponsor. They have been generous enough to put their name a little into the background in order to get some other sponsors on board. The brochures for the event (which are at the printers now from what I have heard) should have Mt Buller mentioned throughout, so I think the Chalet are pretty safe with getting at least some mention for their money.

By aes:

Brochures will be distributed to all clubs and associations, by next week probably.

Hi All,

The Website for the tournaments is now operational at mtbullerchess.com

It took a little while but it looks great - thankyou Jeo we got there in the end!!

The ten thousand brochures etc etc arrive tomorrow and they will be sent out the following week - I need a few days break to nurse some broken ribs so I will be out of email contact for a few days - my mobile should work on Kangaroo Island but I will be back late next Sunday.

Regards
    George Howard
    Main Organiser Mt Buller Tourneys

Thread Information