Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned

Cool Victorian Championships 2004

Victorian Championships 2004

Enries close Friday August 13
    Games begin August 21.

Details are available in a beautiful brochure which will probably become a collector's item. The Photo on the front sheet is taken at the marvellous new Federation Square site, and on the back cover, the display on the huge outside digital screen is a game in progress from last years Championship.
    Inside the brochure is a coloured shot of the honour board that apparently strained relations 6 months back; but now should be seen for the treasure that it is. GM Darryl Johansen features with other photos of various participants from last year.

Now here is the best part (except for the quality of the brochure of course); the Championships are played over 4 different venues. Back in the 70's we used to call this a progressive banquet, when schools had such dinners as fund-raisers. (Do they still occur?)

There will be a recognition prize for the first to post on this board the name of the four venues to be used for this years Victorian Championships.

Finally, can anyone from CV please update us here with plans and progress of the event now that you have made such a fantastic start to advertising the event.

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 18-07-2004 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Victorian Championships 2004
    There will be a recognition prize for the first to post on this board the name of the four venues to be used for this years Victorian Championships.
    what is the prize cause i think i just won it
    elwood, box hill, mcc and federation square in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    what is the prize cause i think i just won it
    elwood, box hill, mcc and federation square in that order.
    ray'ray'

How good are you mate?
    You must have been parked on the BB just waiting for the question.

Well the prize is, as stated in the original post, we recognise you as the winner. Well done.

But you got the order part wrong. Do you want one more try. Hint. You will only need one.

starter

But you got the order part wrong. Do you want one more try. Hint. You will only need one.
    i dont need another try unless the cv site is incorrect. http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm yes that addy is correct, surprised it does come up with the blue link

Edit (Jeo): You need to put it in URL tags when it has odd characters.

http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm
    Last edited by skip to my lou; 18-07-2004 at 05:04 PM.

Finally, can anyone from CV please update us here with plans and progress of the event now that you have made such a fantastic start to advertising the event.

starter
    starter,

don't you sense a possible symbiosis between chesschat.org and another well known? "chesschat" ?

information is at its most reliable when gathered at the source.

unless of course dissemination of such information has been duly delegated via the trickle down effect

eclectic
    Last edited by eclectic; 18-07-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    starter,

don't you sense a possible symbiosis between chesschat.org and another well known? "chesschat" ?

information is at its most reliable when gathered at the source.

unless of course dissemination of such information has been duly delegated via the trickle down effect

eclectic
    eclectic

You must either be a Victorian or have a copy of the brochure, to make that chesschat link. So, at least I understand that one of your sentences.

Now the second sentence has got me thinking. If 'eclectic = GW' then this would be the equivalent of patting ones own back. Out of character for both. I will have to ruminate on that one. Of course I agree that it is true for some only; you don't have to be a guru to see that.

The third sentence is a big mystery. Who has been delegated? Not me; my role is the 'official leak'. And leaks don't go trickling down do they?

starter

i dont need another try unless the cv site is incorrect. http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm yes that addy is correct, surprised it does come up with the blue link

Edit (Jeo): You need to put it in URL tags when it has odd characters.

http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm
    GG""

You do need another try mate. Just like you did in State-of-Origin.
    I have had a look at the site since you gave us the link......and in style it could only be maintained by one person. Where are you reading the order?

starter

GG""

You do need another try mate. Just like you did in State-of-Origin.
    I have had a look at the site since you gave us the link......and in style it could only be maintained by one person. Where are you reading the order?

starter
    part way down, i see deadlines and then competition starting with elwood opening ceremony and first round optional session at elwood starting at 1pm

part way down, i see deadlines and then competition starting with elwood opening ceremony and first round optional session at elwood starting at 1pm
    does starter have an answer to this?

does starter have an answer to this?
    Well yes gg'', I do have a response, now that you have poked me. Your post #8 was a bit wide of the mark, but on first reading I decided not to embarass you by doing a Bill.

But if you must...then let me ask this first............what do you mean by order.

starter

Well yes gg'', I do have a response, now that you have poked me. Your post #8 was a bit wide of the mark, but on first reading I decided not to embarass you by doing a Bill.

But if you must...then let me ask this first............what do you mean by order.

starter
    now lets not try for a pedantmaster norm starter clearly the order would be the order that the site lists for play. So to me that would be the 1st optional playing session, then the 2nd playing session and so on and so forth, until the fourth playing venue appears.

You asked for the venues and i added the order of the venues.

now lets not try for a pedantmaster norm starter clearly the order would be the order that the site lists for play. So to me that would be the 1st optional playing session, then the 2nd playing session and so on and so forth, until the fourth playing venue appears.

You asked for the venues and i added the order of the venues.
    So gg'' you have been selective to choose the first 4 venues. What about the next 4 rounds, or the last 4 rounds? Is it not reasonable that if the 'order' is dependent on the selection, then there is in fact no repetitive order?

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 21-07-2004 at 08:38 AM.

So gg'' you have been selective to choose the first 4 venues. What about the next 4 rounds, or the last 4 rounds? Is it not reasonable that if the 'order' is dependent on the selection, then there is in fact no repetitive order?

starter
    i actually chose the 4 venues in the order they appeared. it just happens that it was the first, second, third and last rounds that the venues appear.

CC Candidate Master
    1. The correct order is: elwood, followed by mcc, then box hill and, finally federation square.
    2. Gray is stupid.
    3. Starter, do I get a prize/ mention for guessing the right order?

Missing. One humourous story by CdP.

Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    1. The correct order is: elwood, followed by mcc, then box hill and, finally federation square.
    2. Gray is stupid.
    3. Starter, do I get a prize/ mention for guessing the right order?
    Well, actually, Phil O'Dor, I don't think there is any order that is consistent through the tournament. That was the genesis of my orginal response back to GG. The VIC Championships is famous (maybe notorious) in Victoria in that it jumps around 4 venues, evening after evening, round after round. One needs a roadmap to navigate to the next venue.
    Added complexity is that entrants can elect to play at some venues and not at others. Confused? Well most of the entrants are by the end of the tourney.

It all makes sense only if you have the wonderful coloured brochure that is produced for the event.

This Championship is the annual event that Chris de Pasquale wrote a memorable newspaper column on about 10 years back. The column focussed on the trials and tribulations of a qualifier from a previous year who tries to enter the Championship in the next year. It would be just terrific if a poster could somehow get it reproduced (or linked) here. Now there is a challenge for the forensic historians.

starter

Thread Information