PDA

View Full Version : Paul morphy problem

skip to my lou
18-07-2004, 02:12 AM
See how fast you can solve this puzzle. White to Mate in 2, image attached.

Took me a couple of seconds to get the idea and 10 seconds in total to get the right answer.

I know a couple of similar problems, will post it later.

Trizza
19-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Very easy but nice none the less

Rincewind
19-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Very easy but nice none the less

It is an asthetically pleasing but mostly inapplicable theme. I thought it was reasonably easy too but I think this is because I think I have seen it before. Also the lack of material on the board certainly helps find the solution. ;)

Pharoah
07-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty sure I have it.

Someone plz tell me if I got it right (below in white).

Pawn captures pawn, then it captures the Bishop.

Dozy
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
You were considerably faster than me, STML. I took a coupla minutes. I kept seeing ...a6 as a problem without seeing the obvious solution.

I think I'm gunna change my handle from Dozy to Mijikai (in Japanese "mijikai ita ni mai" translates roughly as "two short planks".

Buty thanks, it's a neat problem.

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure I have it.

Someone plz tell me if I got it right (below in white).

Not quite, because after pawn takes pawn, the bishop moves away

Ian Rout
07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I think that Pharaoh may be unfamiliar with chess problems and misinterpreted the instructions to mean that White makes two moves and mates, as opposed to normal rules apply and White mates on his second in any variation.

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I thought that too.

Phil Bourke
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Zugzwang is the solution :)

Denis_Jessop
09-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I thought that too.

I was inclined to agree but, on further reflection, I believe the answer is "no".

DJ

Pharoah
10-06-2006, 09:10 AM
O, I didn't know if black played back or not. Although I've played enough of those puzzles I should know that. Especially if he's in check. :wall:

Desmond
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
O, I didn't know if black played back or not. Although I've played enough of those puzzles I should know that. Especially if he's in check. :wall:

pawn takes pawn as you said can lead to mate on the following move (1. bxa7 b5 2. axb8# (any promotion will do)

However, Black's move is not forced and he can avoid mate by simply moving the bishop

Arrogant-One
10-06-2006, 04:07 PM
pawn takes pawn as you said can lead to mate on the following move (1. bxa7 b5 2. axb8# (any promotion will do)

However, Black's move is not forced and he can avoid mate by simply moving the bishop

I may be a Grandmaster, or I may be a non-Grandmaster, but isn't the very obvious solution Ra6. Notice I didn't say Ra6! because to give an exclamation mark (!) to such a self evident move would be a mockery to the exclamation mark (!).

The reasoning/analysis is as follows.

You should immediately see that R x a7+ does not work because the Bishop is on b8. So, if the B moves, then it works.

As such, if you move the Rook along the A file, Black must move his B and then R x a7 leads to mate!

Or does it ?????? At this point you realise that a6 and a5 are candidate moves for Black.

This is where you use what my fellow Grandmasters call 'double-mating power'.

Seeing that b7 also mates, you give Black the option of the two, and Ra6 forces him to choose.

I, personally, as a humble pacifist would offer Black a draw so that we could become friends and get along in a peaceful chess world.

Desmond
10-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I may be a Grandmaster, or I may be a non-Grandmaster, but isn't the very obvious solution Ra6.

I didn't realise the answer was in doubt, and if it was so obvious why did you feel the need to explain it?

Arrogant-One
10-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I didn't realise the answer was in doubt, and if it was so obvious why did you feel the need to explain it?

Because I have decided, brielfly, to come down from the mountain to explain things to my fellow BB users.

But thats it for today because I have to go now.

Desmond
10-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Because I have decided, brielfly, to come down from the mountain to explain things to my fellow BB users.

But thats it for today because I have to go now.

<wave>
Come to think of it, before you go, can you please define "brielfly"?

Pharoah
11-06-2006, 01:42 AM
If I moved my rook to a6, he has 2 options; capture is with his rook, which makes sense for him to do, or move his bishop. If he captured it with my rook, I couldn't possibly give Checkmate, since the only move I'd have is to capture his pawn with mine, and that wouldn't give Checkmate (I guess I could also move my King, but that really wouldn't accomplish anything).

Sooooo, lets assume that instead of capturing my rook with his pawn, he moves his bishop. Then I can promote my pawn to a Queen. But his Bishop could then capture my promoted pawn, interposing.

I don't understand how that situation can lead to Checkmate :uhoh:

Desmond
11-06-2006, 08:31 AM
If I moved my rook to a6, he has 2 options; capture is with his rook, which makes sense for him to do, or move his bishop. If he captured it with my rook, I couldn't possibly give Checkmate, since the only move I'd have is to capture his pawn with mine, and that wouldn't give Checkmate (I guess I could also move my King, but that really wouldn't accomplish anything).

Sooooo, lets assume that instead of capturing my rook with his pawn, he moves his bishop. Then I can promote my pawn to a Queen. But his Bishop could then capture my promoted pawn, interposing.

I don't understand how that situation can lead to Checkmate :uhoh:

1. Ra6 and now black has only 2 real choices
1. ... bxa6 allows 2. b7 mate
1. ... Bf4(or any othe square) allows 2. Rxa7 mate

Pharoah
11-06-2006, 11:23 AM
1. Ra6 and now black has only 2 real choices
1. ... bxa6 allows 2. b7 mate

'Allows 2. b7 mate'; with what, my King? I can't use that, because I'd be putting myself in check, which isn't allowed.

Desmond
11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
'Allows 2. b7 mate'; with what, my King? I can't use that, because I'd be putting myself in check, which isn't allowed.

The pawn

Arrogant-One
11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
The pawn

Boris, what are we going to do with you? Did you ever have a teacher in school who you thought was good because he or she just 'gave' you the answers to questions.

You should have let the little amateur discover the pawn checkmate on his own.

Now he may grow up to be a disgruntled unmotivated chess player, and lord knows how many of them there are. :)

Pharoah
12-06-2006, 04:15 AM
I went through 'Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess' and didn't make 2 many mistakes, so I should get this one pretty good. But, you guys are sayin' 'pawn checkmate'. In order for me to put him in check, I'd have to be diagonal from him (the only way pawns can capture). And then I have to actually get my pawn diagonal from his King, but I wouldn't be able to. Since theres no piece there for me to capture that would put me diagonal from him.

Ok, someone plz gimme the exact notation that leads to Checkmate? Or PM with it? I dont' seem to understand thissssssssss.

Desmond
12-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Boris, what are we going to do with you? Did you ever have a teacher in school who you thought was good because he or she just 'gave' you the answers to questions.

You should have let the little amateur discover the pawn checkmate on his own.

Now he may grow up to be a disgruntled unmotivated chess player, and lord knows how many of them there are. :)

Pharoah knew the square the mate was given on, there were only 2 pieces left on the board and he knew it could not be the king. I think if he were ever going to work it out he would have done so.

Desmond
12-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I went through 'Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess' and didn't make 2 many mistakes, so I should get this one pretty good. But, you guys are sayin' 'pawn checkmate'. In order for me to put him in check, I'd have to be diagonal from him (the only way pawns can capture). And then I have to actually get my pawn diagonal from his King, but I wouldn't be able to. Since theres no piece there for me to capture that would put me diagonal from him.

Ok, someone plz gimme the exact notation that leads to Checkmate? Or PM with it? I dont' seem to understand thissssssssss.

I already did (post 18)

Pharoah
12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Finnnaly, I understand it. :lol: Don't know what took me so long.

Arrogant-One
12-06-2006, 04:44 PM
<wave>
Come to think of it, before you go, can you please define "brielfly"?

Get a dictionary Boris. There's nothing I hate more than laziness. You'll find it under the B section.

Bill Gletsos
12-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Get a dictionary Boris. There's nothing I hate more than laziness. You'll find it under the B section.I doubt he will find your use of the word "brielfly" in any dictionary.

Arrogant-One
13-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I doubt he will find your use of the word "brielfly" in any dictionary.

I see your point. But he should still try.

bigredcar
28-06-2006, 07:52 PM
It took me 3 minutes to realise that i had to waste a move

jack
27-08-2006, 11:40 AM
it took me 30 secs to finish this question!:owned: