PDA

View Full Version : Widening the Scope of the Australian Chess Grand Prix

eclectic
01-04-2009, 04:10 PM
At present the Australian Chess Grand Prix effectively covers only weekenders. It allows you to only count 5 events in your GP score (it used to be 7).

I was wondering how feasible it would be to expand it to include club events and perhaps even team events such as interclub.

A wider number and variety of events might both augment the prize pool while lowering GP entry fees.

Those chess players whose main chess interaction is at a club level rather than at the touring weekender level would have an incentive to participate.

ER
01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
This is a very serious topic and should be given the attention it deserves.:clap: :clap: :clap:
I would like to see here opinions by people who are involved with organising Grand Prix tournaments.
I agree with Eclecticus about the merits and importance of (other than weekender) Grand Prix Tournaments which combined with more FIDE rated events could attract more players to Clubs!
Can we somehow make a poll out of it so we know what the players themselves believe about this motion?

Denis_Jessop
01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
At present the Australian Chess Grand Prix effectively covers only weekenders. It allows you to only count 5 events in your GP score (it used to be 7).

I was wondering how feasible it would be to expand it to include club events and perhaps even team events such as interclub.

A wider number and variety of events might both augment the prize pool while lowering GP entry fees.

Those chess players whose main chess interaction is at a club level rather than at the touring weekender level would have an incentive to participate.

A few minor details.

The current rules allow 7 events to be counted.

There are no GP fees for a class 1 event.

The rules do confine the GP to weekenders or extended weekenders (for example, the Doeberl Cup).

As a comment, a proposal to include club events not open to other players would seem contrary to the GP concept which is for an Australia-wide competition of events generally allowing players from various States to compete against each other. Your idea might better suit a State GP. I believe that WA, being so far geographically from most GP events, runs a State GP. I don't see anything to stop an event being a qualifier for both the AGP and a State GP. An example of an Open club event that is a GP event is the Croydon Khalifman this weekend. It is a class 1 event so has no GP fee to pay.

Inclusion of Interclub events is interesting but I don't see how it would work within the current framework. Perhaps someone could indicate what is in mind here.

Having said that, any views on how the GP may be improved would be welcome and that is no reflection on the current organisation which is running very well.

DJ

Watto
02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
As a comment, a proposal to include club events not open to other players would seem contrary to the GP concept which is for an Australia-wide competition of events generally allowing players from various States to compete against each other.

Yes, that's the immediate problem that springs to mind and I can't quite see how one gets around that. In any case, I like the fact that putting on a Grand Prix event is a special occasion on each club’s calendar [EDIT: As opposed to a regular event.] But that's just my personal preference.

Certainly it would be good to get as many tournaments as possible to register for the GP. But, my focus would be on tournaments which naturally suit the current GP concept. There are still many tournaments which don't register but could.

ER
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
...In any case, I like the fact that putting on a Grand Prix event is a special occasion on each club’s calendar...
This is the case indeed! During my recent visits to Sydney and Ballarat, I had extensive talks with Eclectic and other fellow chess players. The Grand Prix and FIDE rated Tournament topics sprang during discussions as the main topics of interest!
I myself, whenever I look at a tournament that interests me first thing I do is to go to Brian Jones's Grand Prix Website and check it out there! The next thing I check is if it is FIDE rated!
I don't know why I do that since I do not have a FIDE rating and my chances of winning a Grand Prix Prize are very limited, however, these two topics have become an indispensable part of my chess interests.
Same thing with members of the Chess Clubs I do belong and in particular with Juniors!
Grand Prix and FIDE ratings are two realities which are here to stay!