PDA

View Full Version : Most Improved Box Hill Player for the Year sf. Victorian Chess player of the month

Davidflude
31-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior

Ng, Isaac rating rose 369 points

Junior Matheson, Laurence

rating rose by 227 points

Kai
01-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Isaac Ng is a junior - in fact he is younger than Laurence Matheson. Well done to both, but you will need to work out again who wins the senior prize .....

ER
01-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Although I am afraid that I am dangerously falling into the trap of posting wrong information in the wrong thread here, I believe that 1999 Box Hill CC Champion Leon Kempen must be one of the highest senior improvers!

Davidflude
01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Isaac Ng is a junior - in fact he is younger than Laurence Matheson. Well done to both, but you will need to work out again who wins the senior prize .....

The senior prize is open to all members of the club and is awarded regardless of age. It is the more important award. The junior award is restricted to juniors.

Nevertheless that was a point worth raising.

Kai
01-04-2009, 09:58 AM
The senior prize is open to all members of the club and is awarded regardless of age. It is the more important award. The junior award is restricted to juniors.

Nevertheless that was a point worth raising.
Is the improvement based purely on arithmetical calculation of ratings from March 2008 - March 2009? I believe that this is the policy in the last year.

Also, if the senior prize is the more prestigious one awarded regardless of age, then shouldn't the winner of last year's junior award have been awarded the senior prize instead last year...since he scored an unprecedented 1208 rating increase in the 12 month period from March 2007- March 2008?

Thanks

Kai
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
"Also, if the senior prize is the more prestigious one awarded regardless of age, then shouldn't the winner of last year's junior award have been awarded the senior prize instead last year...since he scored an unprecedented 1208 rating increase in the 12 month period from March 2007- March 2008?"

Just to clarify, I am merely querying the consistency of the policy which David has used - I am not querying the merit of the senior award made last year to Leon Kempen - who was a worthy and deserved winner of the most improved senior last year!

Davidflude
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I read the captains report at the meeting but did not hear when it was corrected. Please ignore my previous posts. I had the winners back to front.

Publicist
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
This thread deals with the Victorian chess player of the month and the selection thereof by CV president Katrin Wills. The most improved Box Hill player for the year is not relevant to this thread. The information provided was also incorrect The award was made last night at the BHCC anual general meeting by the retiring captain
The senior award was given to Laurence Matheson.
The junior award went to Isaac Ng