PDA

View Full Version : new book - Australian Chess Brilliancies

Sheroff
21-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi - Just a quick note to say I'm writing/publishing a new book entitled "Australian Chess Brilliancies: Creative Attacking Chess Down Under" which is 95% complete and should be out in May. It has about thirty of the very best brilliancies ever produced by Australian players. If anyone has any last minute game inclusions for the book, please email me within the next couple of weeks, as I'm going to the printer soon (just waiting on Solomon to crank 2 or 3 of his best games my way).

Kevin Casey (former editor of Queensland Chess magazine)

Cheers everybody!!

ER
21-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Sounds very interesting! I wish you all the best! I hope you have checked the related threads of this Forum. They contain a wealth of material!

eclectic
21-03-2009, 08:52 PM
:hmm: come to think of it what happened to jgb's oeuvre based on much the same thing?

Davidflude
21-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi - Just a quick note to say I'm writing/publishing a new book entitled "Australian Chess Brilliancies: Creative Attacking Chess Down Under" which is 95% complete and should be out in May. It has about thirty of the very best brilliancies ever produced by Australian players. If anyone has any last minute game inclusions for the book, please email me within the next couple of weeks, as I'm going to the printer soon (just waiting on Solomon to crank 2 or 3 of his best games my way).

Kevin Casey (former editor of Queensland Chess magazine)

Cheers everybody!!

1) are you including any correspondence games?

2) are you publishing on demand?

Sheroff
22-03-2009, 10:39 AM
(1) I have no correspondence games in the book at present, but didn't specifically rule them out. I have excluded Allegro, Rapid and Blitz games. I do have one of CJS Purdy's over-the-board games (a loss actually), and do give his correspondence record a brief mention.

(2) No, this book is not published-on-demand (if I understand the term correctly). It is published normally, like the past three books I've written, all of which have been bestsellers here in Australia (one won a literary award). The demand for chess books is very specific and limited, so I'll probably start with around 1500 copies and see how it goes from there. I have contacts in the states, including GM Yasser Seirawan (an old mate from my Seattle days) and others, as I suspect much of the demand will be from overseas.

I am vaguely aware of Bonning's effort to produce a historical record of best Aussie games, though Australian Chess Brilliancies is different in crucial ways - it is sacrificial, tactical brilliancies only (just sparkling attacking chess!!), no positional masterpieces or endgame gems. I have been brutal in the game selection process (no unsoundness, no dubious defense, just the finest brilliancies ever produced by Aussies). The games date from 1974 to 2009, and include not just the well known masterpieces but some little known games as well. I have had generous input from Rogers, Smerdon, West, Solomon, Goldsmith and many others (Rogers has already proofread my annotations of his own included games).

My book is not a huge tome - only about a hundred pages, with about thirty games, plus some introductory 'sample' brilliancies and some end matter with a couple more brilliancies. Quality not quantity was my aim. I want it to not just be entertaining (which is certainly is), but also an appropriate record of the wealth of attacking chess in Australia in past decades. Though I won't get into specifics of which games are in there (that would spoil the surprise!) I can say that players include the previously-mentioned, plus Hjorth, Johansen, Sztern, Zhao, Depasquale, Leskiewicz, Stawski, Lane (only his games since 2001, when he emigrated here) and many others.

Cheers! Kevin Casey

Rincewind
22-03-2009, 11:40 AM
My book is not a huge tome - only about a hundred pages, with about thirty games, plus some introductory 'sample' brilliancies and some end matter with a couple more brilliancies. Quality not quantity was my aim. I want it to not just be entertaining (which is certainly is), but also an appropriate record of the wealth of attacking chess in Australia in past decades. Though I won't get into specifics of which games are in there (that would spoil the surprise!) I can say that players include the previously-mentioned, plus Hjorth, Johansen, Sztern, Zhao, Depasquale, Leskiewicz, Stawski, Lane (only his games since 2001, when he emigrated here) and many others.

Sounds good. I look forward to its publication. Best of luck with it!

Basil
22-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Sounds good. I look forward to its publication. Best of luck with it!
Ditto. RRP? Format? Distribution?

Sheroff
22-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Price will be $19.95, it's softcover (peperback), and I'm still working on distribution. Available direct from myself, through various Australian chess clubs, probably through Australian Chess Enterprises in Sydney plus a few other obvious avenues. Overseas, I've got a few things in the pipeline for distribution. Whether it will be available in general bookstores (Dymock's, Angus & Robinson etc.) is not yet determined.

Cheers, Kevin Casey

PS Sorry about doubling up on the Threads in the forum. I'm a newbie to Chess Chat.

Basil
22-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Price will be $19.95, it's softcover (peperback), and I'm still working on distribution.
Right. Well I'll have one. I reckon it'll go well and so it should.

Saragossa
23-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Sweet Aussie chess books always seem good. On of my Fav's is aus chess into the 80's and a guide to attacking chess.

Sheroff
20-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi all -

I am pleased to announce that my new book "Australian Chess Brilliancies" has just been published, and is now available to all keen Aussie attacking players. The book is 96 pages, and contains twenty-nine sparkling sacrificial attacking games in the main section, plus about two dozen extra supplementary games and positions scattered throughout the book. It features the very finest attacking chess played by Aussies in the past 30-40 years. Each and every game is an absolute gem!

Reviews will be appearing on the excellent The Closet Grandmaster and ChessExpress blog sites, as well as in numerous overseas locales, including British Chess Magazine, Scottish Chess, Jeremy Silman's website, and plenty of others (I promise to let you all know when and where as they all come out).

Getting your copy of Australian Chess Brilliancies is quite easy, and very fast. Just send $19.95 plus $3.00 postage and handling ($22.95 total) to Kimberley Publications, PO Box 6095, Upper Mount Gravatt, QLD 4122. You can pay by cheque or Australian Post money order. You can also pay by credit card, but only through PayPal (what all the ebay folks use).
My email address is kimpub@bigpond.net.au if you need it.

If you want the book autographed, just let me know what you'd like me to write (if you want something specific or it's a gift for someone else), and I'll be happy to put a personalised scribble in it for you).

I hope to get a photo of the book up on Chess Chat tomorrow...

Cheers everbody! It's an exciting moment in Australian chess!!!!! Get 'em while they last - this first print run won't last long! Get in early.

Kevin Casey
Kimberley Publications

Basil
20-05-2009, 09:09 PM
:clap:

Well done on your achievement. I'm in for my copy as promised. The cheque, dude, is in the mail ;)

Sheroff
21-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi - Here's an image of the front cover of Australian Chess Brilliancies. Hopefully it all works!

Watto
22-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Our copy arrived today. It looks great. Looking forward to playing through it.

It would be great if one of the moderators could combine the (three?) threads on this book into one. :)

[done - mod]

Thanks Kevin.

Sheroff
24-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Here's an ORDER FORM that you can just print out and use to order your copy of the book.

Cheers
Kevin Casey

Basil
26-05-2009, 08:50 PM
My copy arrived today - off to have a read. A quick glance at Solomon's finish against Harris looks ... brilliant!

Sheroff
27-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Check out Solo's crush against me featured on Page 83 too! Even though it was me on the receiving end, it was just so fine I had to put it in the book...

Hey Mr. Duggan, once you a few others have got through all the games in the book, maybe you could start up a second thread (this one's gettin' a bit long now) called "What is your favourite game from Australian Chess Brilliancies?"

Cheers man

Kevin Casey

PS - Just sent review copies off to Chesscafe.com and the US Chess Federation. It'll all hit the fan soon. Of course, the ultimate goal is global domination, Mr. Bond...

Basil
27-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Enjoying the book so far. I might review from both a publisher's and lay chess fan's perspective.

Not sure why you'd want to start another thread though - do you have a phobia against long threads? :D

Sheroff
27-05-2009, 11:51 AM
No, my phobias are limited to crowded shopping malls, women who paint their toenails black and chess players who know the Sicilian Dragon variation deeper than I do...

Basil
27-05-2009, 12:01 PM
No, my phobias are limited to crowded shopping malls

Check.

women who paint their toenails black
Check.

and chess players who know the Sicilian Dragon variation deeper than I do...
Two out of three ain't bad.

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Mr. Duggan, once you a few others have got through all the games in the book, maybe you could start up a second thread (this one's gettin' a bit long now)

:D We have threads here that are in four figures! Another forum I post on has threads that are in five!

Rincewind
27-05-2009, 05:37 PM
...and chess players who know the Sicilian Dragon variation deeper than I do...

I know some lines only around 20 moves in, which makes me a novice in Dragon circles. :)

Garrett
27-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Two out of three ain't bad.

yep. St George slays the dragon.

every time.

carry on

Sheroff
03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Both the Chessexpress blog site and The Closet Grandmaster blog site have book reviews of Australian Chess Brilliancies now.

chesscafe.com, USCF, Seagaard's chess reviews and jeremysilman.com shouldn't be too far behind with their reviews.

Space_Dude
03-06-2009, 09:20 PM
there should be a flea market section in this forum to sell any kind of chess and non chess products pre owned or new, so that everyone can buy and sell what ever they want... soughta like ebay except you know who to trust and its not for profit... and this book should definetly sell... is this book going to any book stores in the GC?? (gold coast)

BennyG
03-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I know some lines only around 20 moves in, which makes me a novice in Dragon circles. :)
Thanks for a good laugh I needed Rincewind spectacular call :clap:

Rincewind
03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for a good laugh I needed Rincewind spectacular call :clap:

Change the number to 40 and the opening to the Najdorf, Poisoned Pawn and it is twice as funny! Probably. ;)

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2009, 10:48 PM
there should be a flea market section in this forum to sell any kind of chess and non chess products pre owned or new, so that everyone can buy and sell what ever they want...

I've got no problem with established forum members starting For Sale or Wanted to Buy threads here, either in General Chess for chess items or Non-Chess for non-chess items; if this became common a new section could be started though I don't think that it would be.

Note however that I won't extend that to commercial advertising threads or threads by new posters whose main reason for being here is to try to sell stuff.

BennyG
03-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Change the number to 40 and the opening to the Najdorf, Poisoned Pawn and it is twice as funny! Probably. ;)

Yet again another cracker call :clap:

Sheroff
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
GM Ian Rogers reviewed my book in the Canberra Times (Sunday). It was also reviewed in the Byron Echo, and got a mention in the Sun-Herald over the weekend.

Capablanca-Fan
04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
GM Ian Rogers reviewed my book in the Canberra Times (Sunday). It was also reviewed in the Byron Echo, and got a mention in the Sun-Herald over the weekend.
Any links?

Davidflude
04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
No, my phobias are limited to .... and chess players who know the Sicilian Dragon variation deeper than I do...

I do not know the dragon that well. In correspondence I use Dearing's book plus my enormous databases plus Chesspublishing.com .If both sides know the theory the games tend towards draws. On the other hand over the board it can be very exciting. There was an interesting game by GM Gawain Jones posted on ChessPublishing.com this week.

Sheroff
04-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Any links?

Jono -

The Byron Echo version (which is the same as the Canberra Times version, I believe) is at www.echo.net.au/archives/full_versions/echo2351.pdf

Beware it is a pdf file of the entire newspaper, and you have to go through pages 1-32 before you get to Page 33, where Ian's chess column is located.

Ian did a very nice job with his review of Australian Chess Brilliancies, I thought.

Cheers, Kevin Casey

Space_Dude
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I've got no problem with established forum members starting For Sale or Wanted to Buy threads here, either in General Chess for chess items or Non-Chess for non-chess items; if this became common a new section could be started though I don't think that it would be.

Note however that I won't extend that to commercial advertising threads or threads by new posters whose main reason for being here is to try to sell stuff.
then you should put it in the restricted section where only grandmasters or candidate masters can go to...

Kevin Bonham
04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
then you should put it in the restricted section where only grandmasters or candidate masters can go to...

That's an option in terms of posting, but that would needlessly restrict the range of people they could sell to.

Capablanca-Fan
05-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Jono -

The Byron Echo version (which is the same as the Canberra Times version, I believe) is at www.echo.net.au/archives/full_versions/echo2351.pdf

Beware it is a pdf file of the entire newspaper, and you have to go through pages 1-32 before you get to Page 33, where Ian's chess column is located.

Ian did a very nice job with his review of Australian Chess Brilliancies, I thought.

Cheers, Kevin Casey
Thanx Kevin. Excellent write-up.

Nicholas D-C
13-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Can you post an excerpt from the book?

Sheroff
14-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Here is GM Ian Rogers' review of Australian Chess Brilliancies, taken from the Byron Echo and Canberra Times:

"Australian chess books have been as rare as Anand blunders, so to see two appear in the past year seems like an embarrassment of riches. However, while 2008's bestseller Moral Victories was Australian only through its author, David Lovejoy, the latest publication - Australian Chess Brilliancies - is 100% local content, setting out to showcase Australia to the world.

Queensland author Kevin Casey has collected 29 of the most spectacular games ever played by Australians, both at home and abroad, and provided his own comments.

Some of the games are already well known, having won international prizes, but Casey has found some hidden gems - games that would have been acclaimed worldwide had the winner's name been Kasparov or Anand.
Australian Chess Brilliancies also provides game annotations which include relevant and topical information about the players and their achievements.
Casey also provides an amusing introductory essay on defining a chess brilliancy, the primary purpose of which seems to be to give examples of near-misses from the author's own games.

So how good are the games in Australian Chess Brilliancies? Very impressive indeed, is the short answer.

One could quibble about some selection criteria: perhaps there are too many one-move wonders, and why only two games pre-1980? How is it that no game by 'the Australian Tal', Doug Hamilton, made the cut?

However, as an example of high voltage chess, this book is hard to beat and Casey should also be thanked for rescuing some epic Australian games from obscurity.

Reading Australian Chess Brilliancies gave a similar feeling to that I experienced when reading Tibor Karolyi's "Judit Polgar - The Princess of Chess"; I kept thinking 'Amazing stuff! Why isn't that game famous?'

(KC - Ian then goes on to provide his own annotations for one of the games from the book - Goldsmith-Prods, 1981, then concludes...)

Australian Chess Brilliancies is available from Kimberley Publications (kimpub@bigpond.net.au) "

A review by IM John Donaldson will also be appearing soon at jeremysilman.com Keep an eye out on Seagaard's Chess Reviews site and chesscafe.com Reviews there shouldn't be too far away....

Cheers!
Kevin Casey

Sheroff
17-06-2009, 08:58 AM
And the rave reviews keep pouring in...

This one is from well-known American chess book author IM John Donaldson (who used to be co-editor of Inside Chess magazine along with GM Yasser Seirawan, way back when it was a hard copy magazine). He writes chess reviews for Chess Today, jeremysilman.com and a many others. Here is his recent (16 June 2009) review of Australian Chess Brilliancies, which is now being sold throughout the USA by the US Chess Federation:

Kevin Casey’s Australian Chess Brilliancies: Creative Attacking Chess from Down Under (Kimberly Publications, PO Box 6095, Upper Mount Gravatt, Queensland 4122, Australia - kimpub@bigpond.net.au, 96 pages, algebraic notation, paperback, pricing information at the end of this review) is several books in one. Part games collection and part informal attacking manual, it also includes biographical information on leading Australian players including Grandmasters Ian Rogers, Darryl Johansen, Zong Zhao and David Smerdon.

The well travelled Mr. Casey, who grew up in California and spent time living in Hawaii, Alaska and Washington before settling permanently in Australia in 1991, is a big fan of entertaining and instructive attacking chess. The 29 featured games range from Sztern v Purdy 1974 to Mijatovic v West 2009 and are all deeply annotated with a nice mixture of prose and concrete variations. The analysis is often based on that provided by the players for this volume. A few of the games, like Ian Rogers’ celebrated victory over Brazilian Grandmaster Milos at the 1992 Manila Olympiad – an effort that should have won him the first brilliancy prize until Garry Kasparov started lobbying – will be known to many, but the vast majority will not be widely known.

Australian Chess Brilliancies: Creative Attacking Chess from Down Under is nicely produced, with a clean two column layout, good paper and a sturdy flexi cover. The price for a signed copy is $19.95 Australian Dollars, and shipping to everywhere outside of Australia or New Zealand is $7.90 AUD, so the total is $27.85 AUD ( roughly $23 US dollars) for readers in the USA, Britain, Europe etc., with Paypal being the most convenient way to pay.

Of course, the above ordering info is for overseas (Yank) readers. For Aussies it's still just $19.95 plus three bucks postage and handling ($22.95 total). For those hapless souls who are still dithering in getting their own copy of this fine and historical Aussie chess book, you can send cheque or money order to Kimberley Publications (aka Kevin Casey, the author) or pay by PayPal or direct bank deposit.

Kimberley Publications
PO Box 6095
Upper Mount Gravatt QLD 4122

Any questions at all, contact me at kimpub@bigpond.net.au

Cheers people!

Kevin Casey:rolleyes: :D

Capablanca-Fan
17-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I just got my copy from the Gardiner Centre on Sunday. Looks pretty good to me!

Sheroff
17-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks Jono! How did Bullwinkle do on the weekend? I was hoping to play for them against the Gold Coast, but didn't have the time unfortunately. I will be at the Day of Knights tourney though, which I understand you are the Arbiter for.

PS - Once you've had a good leisurely look at all the games in the book, please feel free to provide an informal 'Jono Review' on this forum! We've got to get more Aussie chess players off their bums and buying this great book ... laziness and apathy are not valid excuses. Buy Australian!!! And then, go out and buy a copy of Nezhmetdinov's Best Games (which isn't Australian at all, but is still good...)

Cheers!
Kevin Casey:rolleyes: :D

Garrett
17-06-2009, 04:41 PM
hey yeah I'm buying one.

I was at Graeme's on Sunday but didn't know it would be there and didn't see it (not that I browsed that much, I looked through Graeme's books a couple of weeks ago...).

I'll pick one up during the Zonal and look forward to reading it.

Cheers
Garrett.

CameronD
17-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I've purchased one and would recommend it as good value for money and an enjoyable read.

Capablanca-Fan
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks Jono! How did Bullwinkle do on the weekend? I was hoping to play for them against the Gold Coast, but didn't have the time unfortunately.
Quite well (see results (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9956&page=3)) but they probably missed your contribution.

I will be at the Day of Knights tourney though, which I understand you are the Arbiter for.
I'm afraid not this time, because I was double booked to work in Melbourne. Just now I've had a frantic time finding flights, because they were booked for the weekend I was originally booked three weeks from now, in which I would have been able to direct. But an American conference, originally meant for April, was rescheduled for July only couple of months ago, so the Melbourne work had to be pushed forward. But the flight bookings were overlooked.

But my colleagues will be pleased to see you there. They are happy if you want to make a plug for your book before the start of one of the rounds, and for you to bring a pile to sell.

It means I won't be playing for Logan in the last round of the Interclub this Saturday either.

PS Once you've had a good leisurely look at all the games in the book, please feel free to provide an informal 'Jono Review' on this forum! We've got to get more Aussie chess players off their bums and buying this great book ... laziness and apathy are not valid excuses. Buy Australian!!! And then, go out and buy a copy of Nezhmetdinov's Best Games (which isn't Australian at all, but is still good...)
I'll be glad to. Aussie players have no right to complain about being ignored in the world scene, if they won't buy good locally produced books about high quality games by local players. A review will probably go in the Reviews thread (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=8342).

Adamski
14-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Of course, the above ordering info is for overseas (Yank) readers. For Aussies it's still just $19.95 plus three bucks postage and handling ($22.95 total). For those hapless souls who are still dithering in getting their own copy of this fine and historical Aussie chess book, you can send cheque or money order to Kimberley Publications (aka Kevin Casey, the author) or pay by PayPal or direct bank deposit.

Kimberley Publications
PO Box 6095
Upper Mount Gravatt QLD 4122

Any questions at all, contact me at kimpub@bigpond.net.au

Cheers people!

Kevin Casey:rolleyes: :DHi Kevin. I would like to buy your book using Paypal. I wil email you.