PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Chess Club - Anzac Day Weekender?

klyall
11-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Is there going to be an Anzac weekender at the Melbourne Chess Club this year? Are there any details?

The website seems to be a year out of date. :hmm:

eclectic
11-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Is there going to be an Anzac weekender at the Melbourne Chess Club this year? Are there any details?

The website seems to be a year out of date. :hmm:

yeah i noticed somewhere else :rolleyes: some kerfuffled complaints about chesschat having supposed monopoly re melbourne chess club results and a desire to have this monopoly broken

now i would have thought

WHY NOT BE EVEN HANDED AND POST SUCH RESULTS AT THE MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB WEBSITE FIRST?

oh i forgot; the website is a year out of date :whistle:

Paul Cavezza
11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
A new website is in the pipes i'm told, Grant and the team are doing a massive amount at the moment and i'm sure this'll be in soon.

klyall
12-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Grant rang me tonight to confirm that there will be an Anzac Day weekender at the Melbourne Chess Club.

More details will follow soon.

Watto
13-03-2009, 07:52 AM
A new website is in the pipes i'm told, Grant and the team are doing a massive amount at the moment and i'm sure this'll be in soon.
Great to hear that a new website is planned... yep, I've got no complaint with the way Grant and the new committee are prioritising things. As you say, they are doing a huge amount at the moment and it's much appreciated.

Bereaved
14-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi Kerry, and everyone else,

Here are the details for the event

Anzac day Weekender

a 5 round Swiss Sat 25th Sun 26th April

Time Control: 60 minutes + 30 seconds\move

Saturday 25th April: Entries close: 10.00 am;

25th April, Round 1: 11.00 am,
Round 2: 3.00pm,
Round 3: 7.00 pm

26th April, Round 4: 11.00 am,
Round 5: 3.00 pm,

prize giving after round 5

Entry fee: $55 full, $45 concession, $25 u/18, less $10 MCC Members.

Enquiries:Grant Szuveges: 0401 925 075

or the clubrooms on (03) 9416 3149

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

ER
14-03-2009, 11:08 AM
yeah i noticed somewhere else :rolleyes: some kerfuffled complaints about chesschat having supposed monopoly re melbourne chess club results and a desire to have this monopoly broken

now i would have thought

WHY NOT BE EVEN HANDED AND POST SUCH RESULTS AT THE MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB WEBSITE FIRST?

oh i forgot; the website is a year out of date :whistle:

Press Statement by MCC President Grant Szuveges in response to Eclectic's comment:

I read comments by Eclectic and Klyall on this forum that our website is a year out of date.

Yes, its true, it is a year out of date - but this issue has been addressed and a new website is currently under construction.

We are using a professional to do this website and it will be interesting, up to date and constantly changing with new information every few days.

It is expected to be up and running within 6 - 8 weeks time. We understand that this is quite a while, but we want to do this properly and have a really good website which will be a long-term asset for the club.

We apologize for any incovenience our current website is causing, but please bear with us for now while we get this done.

If we could do it quicker we would, but we are a voluteer based organisation and our committee members all have jobs and lives away from chess, so we cant do absolutely everything overnight.

In the meantime, MCC information can be found on the chess forums."

Igor_Goldenberg
14-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Is it going to be in GP? (level 1 is free, AFAIK)

ER
14-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Sorry Igor, I am not sure about that!
Of what I know, Grant wants to fix the website problem in the most efficient way!
I also know that the people he has approached to do the job are quite professional and will do their best to provide good service to the Club!

eclectic
14-03-2009, 03:27 PM

it's not listed at gp site ; there is a jan 1 deadline for listing after which organisers have to play a late fee

perhaps it might be listed next year

Watto
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Yes. :) It's now listed as a Class 1 event: http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?year=2009&p=calendar&site=grandprix

(along with the MCC Memorial Weekender in September and the MCC Christmas Swiss)

eclectic
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
i posted this in new era thread sorry for duplication

ER
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes. :) It's now listed as a Class 1 event: http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?year=2009&p=calendar&site=grandprix

(along with the MCC Memorial Weekender in September and the MCC Christmas Swiss)

It's really nice seeing MCC's featuring amongst other prestigious GRAND PRIX events!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ninja
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
It's really nice seeing MCC's featuring amongst other prestigious GRAND PRIX events!:clap: :clap: :clap:
So was Brian good enough to waive the $100 late fee per tournament for the three listed by MCC ??

If so what about offering to do the same for a few of the other weekenders in Vic. See a lot of comments about the lack of Vic entries so perhaps a once off offer to waive late fees this year might be enough to get CV and a few more clubs on board and actually make the Grand Prix worthwhile in Victoria. At the moment there is not a lot of point playing in it as it is not possible to have a chance with the points without a lot of travelling interstate.

Only clubs involved at the moment are Elwood, Ballarat,Croydon, Geelong and now MCC. If it is really an Australian wide series would be good to see the second largest state better represented.
At least MCC coming on board means we now have more tournaments than Tasmania:rolleyes:

ER
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi Ninja, excellent post!
Before I attempt to respond to your points, let me make it clear that one has to interpret MCC's moves toward the Grand Prix, FIDE rated tournaments as part of the universal and co-oridinated efforts by the new committee to introduce the Club into a new era - worthy of MCC's history and traditions!

So was Brian good enough to waive the $100 late fee per tournament for the three listed by MCC ??
I have no idea about that Ninja, and I consider the matter as a little sensitive to publicly ask either Brian or Grant about it! That of course only applies to myself since i have being appointed as MCC's semi-official Media representative in this Forum. However, I think either person can make a statement about it if they wish!

If so what about offering to do the same for a few of the other weekenders in Vic. See a lot of comments about the lack of Vic entries so perhaps a once off offer to waive late fees this year might be enough to get CV and a few more clubs on board and actually make the Grand Prix worthwhile in Victoria.
Sounds like a very good and important question. Again it is up to Brian to make a statement on that!

At the moment there is not a lot of point playing in it as it is not possible to have a chance with the points without a lot of travelling interstate.
I agree with this statement as I did with analogous suggestions made by Eclectic and Watto.

Only clubs involved at the moment are Elwood, Ballarat,Croydon, Geelong and now MCC. If it is really an Australian wide series would be good to see the second largest state better represented.
Again correct, although one would expect from the Clubs (MCC and Box Hill CC not excluded - I am only referring to those two Clubs because I am a member in both) to do something about it instead of expecting Brian's late fee waivings!

At least MCC coming on board means we now have more tournaments than Tasmania:rolleyes:

Tasmania is doing well in regards to chess development.:clap: :clap: :clap: As you might have noticed from other threads in this Forum there is a lot of movement in the station! IMO next year's Aus Junior Championships which will be held in Tassie will contribute to further improvements!

PS How is the Ranges Chess Club going? My best regards to Marieke! :)

ER
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
MCC and NPCC work together!!!

In this article I am referring to a PRESS RELEASE BY MCC President Grant Szuveges as published recently in the Melbourne Chess Club: A New Era, hread.

As Grant points out after negotiations with Noble Park Chess Club, an agreeemnt was reached sto pleyers
playing in Noble Park tournaments can play their postponed games ahead of time at Melbourne Chess Club, without actually having to be members of MCC, and without having to pay a visitors fee.

However, and as Grant points out, Noble Park's current current event games, need to be played before the Saturday of the round they were originally scheduled.

So for all concerned, if you have a game that you cant make it to, dont forfeit it, play it at the MCC if possible... It is easy for our club to accomodate this, as we are open 7 days per week.

Good luck to all players playing at Noble Park for their upcoming games...

As WIM Narelle Szuveges suggests on the Melbourne Chess Club: A new Era thread it would be helpful to make a related announcement in this thread since important dates of major events of both clubs coincide. I quote Narelle's related statement here

This is important as the last round of Noble Park's Club Championship is on Saturday 25th April clashing with the Anzac Day Weekender.

SHump
16-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Just note to say the Ranges club is going well. Ranges is holding our Inaugural Open starting from next Tuesday (21st) for 5 weeks.

See http://www.rangeschessclub.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_225_Events&subpage=PT_245_Ranges_Open for details.

We have not been clever enough to get this event into the GP list for this year. I for one would like to see more Vic tournaments in the GP list, as others have also indicated..

Marieke and I represented the club at Doerberl, but she did less well than she would have liked.

Some basic questions re the MCC Anzac weekender: where? schedule? prizes? ACF rated?

Bereaved
16-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi SHump

Read post 6 from me in this thread for most details, and also know that 80% of the entry after costs makes up the prize pool.

Hope that you can make it,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PS good luck with your new event at Ranges

ER
18-04-2009, 12:49 AM
This is a press release by MCC's Pres Grant Szuveges:

This is very very big news! Australia's strongest IM, David Smerdon will be playing in the MCC ANZAC day weekender!
The tournament will be held over the weekend of the 25th and 26th April.

At 7pm on the Sunday evening, David will also be doing a simultaneous exhibition at the club.

The cost to play against David will be $20, with every cent of it going to the MCC building fund.

This has only just been organised and we are sorry about the short notice, but more details will be announced asap.

Please also be informed that I have spoken to Brian Jones, and confirmed that the ANZAC Day weekender will be a catagory 1 grand prix event. It is all sorted out!

On the Friday evening the night before the weekender (Friday 24th), we will be holding the first session of our "Ballroom Blitz" blitz tournament. (5 minutes on the clock each).

It will be an 11 round swiss or a round robin depending on numbers.

The winner of the first blitz event will receive a free entry into the ANZAC day event, along with prize money. Details of the prizes will come soon but the cost will be $5 for members and $10 for non-members.

Grant Szuveges

EBT
20-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Is there a partial list of entries for this tournament yet?

ER
23-04-2009, 02:02 PM
GM Gawain Jones is playing in the ANZAC Day weekender at the Melbourne Chess Club!!!
Now, the presence of GM Jones, and IM David Smerdon makes this tournament a very strong one!
According to reports by MCC's Pres Grant Szuveges a few minutes ago, there are indications of a stream of very strong late entries.
Please entry by 10 am (the latest!) on Sat morning! Here is Grant's report:

I got a call this morning from Gawain and I can confirm that he will be playing in our tournament - along with IM David Smerdon and a growing number of other participants!!! If you want the opportunity of playing against Gawain (or David), come down to the club for the weekender this weekend. Entries close at 10am on Saturday morning!

MichaelBaron
23-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Great work by the club to get top guns!

klyall
25-04-2009, 03:38 PM
The MCC Anza Day Weekender started today at 11.00 am - with GM Gawain Jones, IM David Smerdon, Bobby Cheng, Eugene Schon, FM James Morris on the top boards.

There are 21 people playing in the weekender. (3 people took a half point bye in the second round because of the Allegro including WFM Mororoa)

In addition, MCC is holding an Allegro this afternoon- which has similar numbers as the weekender and is being played in the back room. This includes Michael Baron, IM Mirko Rujevix, Dimitri Partsi, Chris Kolak amongst others.

Results to follow shortly

klyall
25-04-2009, 03:49 PM
MCC Anzac Day Weekender - round one results

1. Gary Bekker 0-1 Gawain Jones (GM)
2. David Smerdon (IM) 1-0 Anurag Sannidharan
3. Michael Steele 0-1 Bobby Cheng
4. Eugene Schon 1-0 Jake Kostrzewa
5. T. Gamage 0-1 James Morris (FM)
6. Dimitri Partsi 1-0 Scott Humprheys
7. Sunib Jyrumbri 0-1 Vineetha Wijesuriya
8. Justin Tan 1-0 Petors Koutrabirus
9. Triston Rayson - Hill 0-1 Efran Tionko
10. Sue Mororaoa 1-0 Endre Simon

eclectic
25-04-2009, 04:03 PM
does anyone there tire of a certain someone insisting on having his sideshow still take place even when the club is trying to stage a serious event?

WhiteElephant
25-04-2009, 06:43 PM
does anyone there tire of a certain someone insisting on having his sideshow still take place even when the club is trying to stage a serious event?

What does this mean?

klyall
25-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Message from the President

President of the MCC, Grant Szuveges has asked me to post the following: -

"Who said we cant run an allegro and a weekender at the same time? The two events ran very smoothly together - the atmosphere in the club has been buzzing all day... At one point, we even had 9 titled players in the building at the same time - (4 in the weekender, 2 in the allegro and 3 just hanging out... Good to see 3 players take a half point bye in the second round so that they could play allegro as well... Baron won the allegro, while Jones, Smerdon, Cheng, Schon and Morris are all on 2/2 in the weekender.

People were surprised that I have been doing the draw manually, but the reason for this is that if people question the draw, we have the answers - rather than justifying what a computer program would do. This is especially relevant considering people are taking half point byes and thus colours may be affected eg. James Morris has white this round despite having black then white in rounds 1 and 2. His opponent (Partsi) had white in round 1 and then a bye in round 2 and thus is due black. Nobody has complained about the draw anyway though... Come on down and check out the event. Michael Baron and Chris Kolak are also having a blitz match (quietly) as we speak and Smerdon's simul will be on tommorow night at 7pm. Good to see we have now signed up 4 new members today bringing the total to 97! Who will be number 100? Good also to see 4 juniors playing in the allegro...

Grant"

Mischa
25-04-2009, 07:25 PM
we?

Mischa
25-04-2009, 07:33 PM
ok got it

Garvinator
25-04-2009, 07:44 PM
People were surprised that I have been doing the draw manually, but the reason for this is that if people question the draw, we have the answers - rather than justifying what a computer program would do. This is especially relevant considering people are taking half point byes and thus colours may be affected eg. James Morris has white this round despite having black then white in rounds 1 and 2. His opponent (Partsi) had white in round 1 and then a bye in round 2 and thus is due black. Nobody has complained about the draw anyway though
I wonder if people who really know the dutch pairing rules were the ones asking the questions would the person doing the manual pairing have the answers better than the computer program.

One reason for using a computer program to do the pairings is that it eliminates any accusations of bias or human error.

Players are much more likely to complain about manual pairings (or pairings in general for that fact) in later rounds when pairing becomes much more complex and players are much more concerned about who they get when prizes and placings are on the line and affected by a last round pairing.

Mischa
25-04-2009, 07:48 PM
yes

klyall
25-04-2009, 08:02 PM
1. Jones (GM) 1-0 Tan
2. Wijesuriya 0-1 Smerdon (IM)
3. Cheng 1-0 Maroroa (WFM)
4. Tionko 0-1 Schon
5. Morris (FM) 1-0 Oswald
6. Sannidhanam 1-0 Gamage
7. Humphreys 0-1 Bekker
8. Kostrzewa 1-0 Karumbi
9. Koutrabinis 0-1 Steele

klyall
25-04-2009, 08:07 PM
MCC Anzac Day Weekender - Draw round 3

1 Cheng (2) - Jones (GM) (2)
2 Smerdon (IM) (2) - Schon (2)
3 Morris (FM) 2 - Partsi (1.5) This game resulted in a win for James.
4 Sanidhanam (1) - Wijesuriya (1)
5 Tan (1) - Steele (1)
6 Kostrzewa (1) - Tionko (1)
7 Oswald (1) - Mororoa (WFM) (1)
8 Simon (0.5) - Rayson - Hill (0.5) This game resulted in a win for Simon
9 Karumbi (0) - Gamage (0) Karumbi won this game
10 Humphreys (0) - Koutrabinis (0)

ER
25-04-2009, 09:59 PM
What does this mean?
I don't know WE, I don't think that's another Eclectic el cheapo :lol: dig against MCC or maybe criticism implied to Michael's partaking in the allegro! Since he is a dedicated follower of things MCC Eclectic should have been aware of this...

Hope to see you all around next weekend. Even though the weekender is on, allegro will still be held. If players want to play in both, they can take a half point bye in round 2 of the weekender in order to play allegro.
so this

is rather cryptic and the only person who could give us a possible explanation is its author!
By the way Eclectic must be proud that his continuous involvement with MCC's affairs might have contributed to the Club's tremendous success in all possible fronts! So :clap: :clap: :clap: for our distinguished candidate for the country honourary membership! :)

Watto
25-04-2009, 10:56 PM

"Who said we cant run an allegro and a weekender at the same time? The two events ran very smoothly together - the atmosphere in the club has been buzzing all day... At one point, we even had 9 titled players in the building at the same time - (4 in the weekender, 2 in the allegro and 3 just hanging out... Good to see 3 players take a half point bye in the second round so that they could play allegro as well... Baron won the allegro, while Jones, Smerdon, Cheng, Schon and Morris are all on 2/2 in the weekender.
... Grant"
I must admit I never thought you couldn't run both together since the club is fairly large. Although whether one should is another matter. The main problem that I see is the possibility that the allegro drained entries from the weekender, and sort of split the focus. But one can't prove that of course. Anyway, there Was a buzz around the club when we dropped in to spectate... always good to see.

Basil
25-04-2009, 11:40 PM
...there Was a buzz around the club when we dropped in to spectate...
Next item on the fix-up agenda is to get a sparky for the faulty neons then.

ER
25-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Next item on the fix-up agenda is to get a sparky for the faulty neons then.
re - introduce capital punishment???:hmm: c'mom exile in the countryside is more practical! :P

Mischa
25-04-2009, 11:59 PM
any results round 3?

Carl Gorka
26-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Jones beat Cheng on board 1 and Smerdon won a very very tricky game against Eugene Schoen. No major upsets...

Mischa
26-04-2009, 01:29 AM
don't I know you?

Carl Gorka
26-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Here is a message from the president, Grant Szuveges

"Id just like to respond to the comments made by Eclectic about the allegro - and it being a 'sideshow'. Im not sure exactly who he was referring to - maybe the organiser? I dont know.

What I do know however, is that the allegro is not a sideshow. I actually believe that it is the MCCs most important event! This may sound strange to some people, but I will explain the reasons.

1. JUNIORS - the allegro gives juniors an avenue to transition into mainstream adult chess. Unlike longer ACF or FIDE rated events, it gives kids 7 chances on the same day to have a competitive game. If they stuff a game up, then there is always next round. If they have a bad day, then there is always next week. It is at a convenient time (Saturday 2pm) when kids can play and only uses up 4-5 hours of their time. Kids enjoy the quick time controls and adults are happy to play against them, as they dont lose ACF rating points. The allegro also has its own rating system and kids enjoy getting a rating and then gaining points. It encourages them to play.

2. WEAKER ADULTS - the same thing applies here. When new people come into the club, they are often overawed by long games (kids also lose concentration). Instead, they can play allegro and not use up too much of their weekend, not commit for 9 weeks straight and get 7 chances in one day to win a game or two. They (like the kids) also have a chance to win some small prize money. We usually offer 3 prizes for players in the bottom half.

3. MEMBERSHIPS - a large number of our new members signed up because of the allegro. We now have 97 members, and a lot of the new ones simply joined so that they could play in it. To use another example, look at Box Hill - their allegros attract huge fields too. This is the sort of chess that a lot of people want to play. I understand that it isnt for everyone, but it is very popular. The allegro attracted almost as many people as the weekender did this weekend.

4. ATMOSPHERE - The day with the best and most lively atmosphere at the MCC is clearly Saturdays. The place is always full, with players and spectators - yes, we even get spectators for the allegro. Yesterday, while the weekender and the allegro were being played together, the allegro had 4 times as many spectators as the weekender did - even with a GM and strong IM playing! It is also a great day for new people to experience the club and to enjoy it and become part of the family. The atmosphere is good because although the players take it seriously, it lacks the intensity of regular chess.

5. USER FRIENDLY - not just for the players, but also for the organisers. It is easy to run, takes very little preparation and has so many benefits. It is on every week without fail and allows players the opportunity to play some chess every week. It also gives people a chance to win some pocket money.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that the allegro will make our club great again (it has already started), and is a huge part of creating a core group of junior players and a core group of weaker adults - both of whom will improve as they play more and will carry the club for the next 10 years. When you get a kid or a new adult playing in their first allegro, there is a good chance that you will get a 5 or 10 year player. When they play in one long tournament, they often quit after that. The allegro is important because it can sustain our club in the LONG TERM. I must go now, because round 4 of the weekender is about to start.

Grant"

Adamski
26-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Sounds like a great chess weekend in Melbourne. International GM and Australia's own near GM playing in the Anzac Day Weekender, and another successful Allegro. Congrats Michael B on winning another Allegro event. Hope MCC gets lots of spectators to watch the action today.

klyall
26-04-2009, 11:31 AM
MCC Anzac Day Weekender - results round 3

1. Cheng (2) 0-1 Jones (GM) 2
2. Smerdon (IM) (2) 1-0 Schon (2) after Eugene refused a draw
3. Morris (FM) 2 1-0 Partsi (1.5)
4. Sanidhanam (1) 0-1 Wijesuriya (1)
5. Tan (1) 1-0 Steele (1)
6. Kostrzewa (1) 0-1 Tionko (1)
7. Oswald (1) 0-1 Mororoa (WFM) (1)
8. Simon (0.5) Simon 1-0 Rayson Hill (0.5)
9. Karumbi (0) 1-0 Gamage (0)
10. Humphreys (0) - Koutrabinis (0) Not sure of result as they didn't enter it :(

ER
26-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your reports Klyall, you are doing great! :)

results round 3

4. Sanidhanam (1) 0-1 Wijesuriya (1)
5. Tan (1) 1-0 Steele (1)
6. Kostrzewa (1) 0-1 Tionko (1)
7. Oswald (1) 0-1 Mororoa (WFM) (1)
8. Simon (0.5) Simon 1-0 Rayson Hill (0.5)
9. Karumbi (0) 1-0 Gamage (0)
10. Humphreys (0) - Koutrabinis (0)

Not sure of result (ed. of the last game) as they didn't enter it :(

klyall
26-04-2009, 11:39 AM
MCC Anzac Day Weekender - Draw round 4

1. Jones (3) - Morris (3)
2. Smerdon (3) - Cheng (2)
3. Schon (2) - Tan (2)
4. Wijesuriya (2) - Tionko (2)
5. Mororoa (2) - Bekker (1.5) who came in late and almost lost on forfeit
6. Partsi (1.5) - Simon (1.5) this has now changed as Partsi has an approved withdrawal
7. Oswald (1) - Kostrzeaw (1)
8. Steele (1) - Humphreys (1)
9. Korumbi (1) - Sannidhanam (1)
10. Gamage (0) - Rayson - Hill (0.5)

Adamski
26-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Kerry. Good luck to (my fellow Chelsea supporter) the Real Deal against the visiting GM!

ER
26-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Kerry. Good luck to (my fellow Chelsea supporter) the Real Deal against the visiting GM!
YES, GO JAMES!!!
By the way, Kerry, can you pls find out which Premier League team does GM Jones barrack for?
Also, a few details about our sole female participant WFM Mororoa? a shortish interview maybe? :)
keep up the good work!

Adamski
26-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your reports Klyall, you are doing great! :)

results round 3

That sounds like really bad luck for Eugene. I hope he wins today Kerry.

Watto
26-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Also, a few details about our sole female participant WFM Mororoa? a shortish interview maybe? :)
keep up the good work!
Yes, thanks for the reports, Kerry and Carl. :)
Sue Maroroa is from Auckland, NZ and has also played for the NZ women's Olympiad team: http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=4301498

But she's not the only female in the field- Vineetha Wijesuriya is from Sri Lanka, and has represented her country at the Olympiad too: I'm pretty sure this is her as the photo looks correct (There is also another female Wijesuriya of a similar strength listed on the FIDE site so those who know please correct me if I'm wrong): http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=9900608

p.s. it would good to see the Smerdon Schon game if someone can post it.

ER
26-04-2009, 02:05 PM
ops!!!

But she's not the only female in the field- Vineetha Wijesuriya is from Sri Lanka, and has represented her country at the Olympiad too: I'm pretty sure this is her as the photo looks correct (There is also another female Wijesuriya of a similar strength listed on the FIDE site...
Sorry for this:

Also, a few details about our sole female participant WFM Mororoa?

Davidflude
26-04-2009, 03:12 PM
I haVE CAUGHT A COLD and will not attend the prize giving.

Best wishes,

What has happened to the Digital boards. The ACF gigital boards always seem to be available for Canberra, Queensland or Sydney.

eclectic
26-04-2009, 03:16 PM
i think there was confusion as to whether they should be used for the main event or for the allegro ;)

ER
26-04-2009, 04:53 PM
... What has happened to the Digital boards. The ACF (ed)digital boards always seem to be available for Canberra, Queensland or Sydney.
I think that these boards are readily available to every event, regardless of State, however, I also believe it's up to the organisers to make the necessary steps to use them!

Bill Gletsos
26-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I think that these boards are readily available to every event, regardless of State, however, I also believe it's up to the organisers to make the necessary steps to use them!There is a usage charge per board plus shipment charges to and from Sydney.
The higher the GP class, the lower the per board usage fee.

Oepty
26-04-2009, 05:48 PM
There is a usage charge per board plus shipment charges to and from Sydney.
The higher the GP class, the lower the per board usage fee.

What are the charges?
Scott

Bill Gletsos
26-04-2009, 05:53 PM
What are the charges?
ScottIf I recall correctly class 1's are $100, class 2's $90, class 3's $80 and class 4-5's are $60 per board.

ER
26-04-2009, 05:58 PM
If I recall correctly class 1's are $100, class 2's $90, class 3's $80 and class 4-5's are $60 per board.
I am surprised! I thought it (the boards use) would be much more expensive than that, since the boards are a real attraction for the tournament as well as a good advertisment for the Club!
By the way does anyone know about the ones we are using at the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club? Do they belong to the Club, or to CV? No smart proctus answers about BHCC and CV being the same here pls! :P:))

Davidflude
26-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I am surprised! I thought it (the boards use) would be much more expensive than that, since the boards are a real attraction for the tournament as well as a good advertisment for the Club!
By the way does anyone know about the ones we are using at the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club? Do they belong to the Club, or to CV? No smart proctus answers about BHCC and CV being the same here pls! :P:))

The boards are owned by the club. I may even have signed the cheque to purchase one of them.

Davidflude
26-04-2009, 07:05 PM

"Id just like to respond to the comments made by Eclectic about the allegro - and it being a 'sideshow'. Im not sure exactly who he was referring to - maybe the organiser? I dont know.

What I do know however, is that the allegro is not a sideshow. I actually believe that it is the MCCs most important event! This may sound strange to some people, but I will explain the reasons.

1. JUNIORS - the allegro gives juniors an avenue to transition into mainstream adult chess. Unlike longer ACF or FIDE rated events, it gives kids 7 chances on the same day to have a competitive game. If they stuff a game up, then there is always next round. If they have a bad day, then there is always next week. It is at a convenient time (Saturday 2pm) when kids can play and only uses up 4-5 hours of their time. Kids enjoy the quick time controls and adults are happy to play against them, as they dont lose ACF rating points. The allegro also has its own rating system and kids enjoy getting a rating and then gaining points. It encourages them to play.

Yes yes and yes again. Yje kids love allegro so keep it up.

2. WEAKER ADULTS - the same thing applies here. When new people come into the club, they are often overawed by long games (kids also lose concentration). Instead, they can play allegro and not use up too much of their weekend, not commit for 9 weeks straight and get 7 chances in one day to win a game or two. They (like the kids) also have a chance to win some small prize money. We usually offer 3 prizes for players in the bottom half.

I could not agree more.

3. MEMBERSHIPS - a large number of our new members signed up because of the allegro. We now have 97 members, and a lot of the new ones simply joined so that they could play in it. To use another example, look at Box Hill - their allegros attract huge fields too. This is the sort of chess that a lot of people want to play. I understand that it isnt for everyone, but it is very popular. The allegro attracted almost as many people as the weekender did this weekend.

This is really interesting. It is noticable that at Canterbury Junior we are building up the number of adults playing allegro as well as Juniors. I am working on next years calendar. I shall look at whether we can and should increase the number of allegro events.

4. ATMOSPHERE - The day with the best and most lively atmosphere at the MCC is clearly Saturdays. The place is always full, with players and spectators - yes, we even get spectators for the allegro. Yesterday, while the weekender and the allegro were being played together, the allegro had 4 times as many spectators as the weekender did - even with a GM and strong IM playing! It is also a great day for new people to experience the club and to enjoy it and become part of the family. The atmosphere is good because although the players take it seriously, it lacks the intensity of regular chess.

5. USER FRIENDLY - not just for the players, but also for the organisers. It is easy to run, takes very little preparation and has so many benefits. It is on every week without fail and allows players the opportunity to play some chess every week. It also gives people a chance to win some pocket money.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that the allegro will make our club great again (it has already started), and is a huge part of creating a core group of junior players and a core group of weaker adults - both of whom will improve as they play more and will carry the club for the next 10 years. When you get a kid or a new adult playing in their first allegro, there is a good chance that you will get a 5 or 10 year player. When they play in one long tournament, they often quit after that. The allegro is important because it can sustain our club in the LONG TERM. I must go now, because round 4 of the weekender is about to start.

Grant"
This is all great stuff Grant.

eclectic
26-04-2009, 09:59 PM
any final results yet?
perhaps after the simul i guess
i hope entrants had to pay smurfo a fide ratings point each :P

ER
26-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Eclectic has a point here!
Final results of the MCC ANZAC Day weekender, should have been published by now!
If we are expecting to publicise our events through the Chess Chat Board as we do, we should have the responsibility to inform the Chess public about the outcome of those events as soon as they are completed!

Carl Gorka
26-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Message from the president:

"Hi everyone. Here are the final results of the tournament.

4.5 Gawain JONES (GM)
David SMERDON (IM)
4 Eugene SCHON
3.5 James MORRIS (FM)
Efrain TIONKO
3 Bobby CHENG
Vineetha WIJESURIYA (Sri Lanka)
Justin TAN
Sue MAROROA (WFM)
2.5 Franz OSWALD
Vic PORTULIC
2 Gary BEKKER
Anurag SINNADHANAM
Michael STEELE
Jake KOSTRZEWA
Scott HUMPHREYS
Simon KARUMBI
1.5 Thumula GAMAGE (Sri Lanka)
Endre SIMON
1 Petros KOUTRABINIS
Tristan RAYSON-HILL

1.5/3 Dimitri PARTSI (approved withdrawal)

All in all, an enjoyable tournament. Smerdon did a great simul tonight also. It was small - but this meant individual attention for all players. Everyone got to play 2 games against him.

Id like to take this opportunity to thank David Smerdon and Gawain Jones for playing in the tournament. We didnt have to find them - they actually contacted me wanting to play! They did not ask for appearance fees and were more than happy to play for free to help our club get back on its feet! David also did the simul and actually did more than he needed to - not only playing his opponents, but also recording for them, analysing with them and even recommending books for them so that they can improve their chess. He loves the MCC and has gone out of his way to help us out. On behalf of the MCC, thankyou David and Gawain and all of the other players for playing. It has been a big weekend at the MCC and I am quite tired now, so I will get going. But I will leave you with the following games with more to come soon...

Grant"

round 4:
Smerdon - Cheng
1.e4, c5
2. c3, Nf6
3.e5, Nd5
4.d4, e6
5.Nf3, cd
6.cd, d6
7.Bc4, Nc6
8.Qe2, Be7
9.O-O, O-O
10.Nc3, Nxc3
11.bc, d5
12.Bd3,Na5
13.h4,h6
14.Bc2, Bxh4
15.Qd3, g6
16.Bxh6, Re8
17.g3, Be7
18.Kg2, Nc4
19.Rh1, Bf8
20.Bxf8, Kxf8
21.Rh7, f5
22.Rah1, Qa5
23.Ng5, b6
24.Rf7+, Kg8
25.Rh6, 1-0

round 5:
Jones - Smerdon
1.Nf3, Nf6
2.g3, d5
3.Bg2, Nbd7
4.c4,e6
5.b3,c6
6.O-O, Bd6
7.Bb2, e5
8.cd,cd
9.d3,O-O
10.Nc3,a6
11.Nd2,Nb6
12.e4,d4
13.Ne2,a5
Draw

ER
26-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Good work Grant and Carl, thanks!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Also congratualtions to the winners and especially to David for his committment to the MCC!:clap: :clap: :clap: Big congrats also to the players who defied extremely adverse weather conditions throughout the weekend to go down to Fitzroy and play for the MCC! :clap: :clap: :clap:

WhiteElephant
26-04-2009, 11:23 PM
When you get a kid or a new adult playing in their first allegro, there is a good chance that you will get a 5 or 10 year player.

I like this kind of thinking! :clap:

I have been following all this from afar and it really does seem that Grant is doing a fantastic job revitalising the club. I will look forward to visiting and catching up with Grant for myself. For now I want to pass on my admiration and best wishes to MCC.

Brian_Jones
27-04-2009, 07:52 AM

"....People were surprised that I have been doing the draw manually, but the reason for this is that if people question the draw, we have the answers - rather than justifying what a computer program would do. This is especially relevant considering people are taking half point byes and thus colours may be affected eg. James Morris has white this round despite having black then white in rounds 1 and 2. His opponent (Partsi) had white in round 1 and then a bye in round 2 and thus is due black. Nobody has complained about the draw anyway though... Come on down and check out the event. ... Grant"

As Yulgilbar-Think Big Australian GP scorer, I hope to receive the final results early this week (SP files please) :)

Adamski
27-04-2009, 12:37 PM
That sounds like really bad luck for Eugene. I hope he wins today Kerry.I see that he did! Well done Eugene with 4 points in that company! Well done too to the 2 winners and the organisers, and James for his 3.5. And I too think Grant has made some very valid points about the benefits of offering allegro tournaments. Claps to all.

ER
27-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I like this kind of thinking! :clap:
And so do many people who visit the club and witness the tremendous changes there!

I have been following all this from afar...
It's time to get closer!

I will look forward to visiting and catching up with Grant for myself...
The sooner the better, it's time for all talented, hard working and highly contributing and motivated young people like yourself to join in the new movement!
Chess will benefit from your presence and you will benefit by your active involvement in this peaceful and aspiring revolution!

Bill Gletsos
28-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Smerdon - Cheng

1.e4 c5 2. c3 Nf6 3.e5 Nd5 4.d4 e6 5.Nf3 cxd4 6.cxd4 d6 7.Bc4 Nc6 8.Qe2 Be7 9.O-O O-O 10.Nc3 Nxc3 11.bxc3 d5 12.Bd3 Na5 13.h4 h6 14.Bc2 Bxh4 15.Qd3 g6 16.Bxh6 Re8 17.g3 Be7 18.Kg2 Nc4 19.Rh1 Bf8 20.Bxf8 Kxf8 21.Rh7 f5 22.Rah1 Qa5 23.Ng5 b6 24.Rf7+ Kg8 25.Rh6 1-0

Bill Gletsos
28-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Jones - Smerdon

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.g3 d5 3.Bg2 Nbd7 4.c4 e6 5.b3 c6 6.O-O Bd6 7.Bb2 e5 8.cxd5 cxd5 9.d3 O-O 10.Nc3 a6 11.Nd2 Nb6 12.e4 d4 13.Ne2 a5 Draw

Garvinator
28-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Anyone want to run the chicken factor over Jones Smerdon?

Kevin Bonham
28-04-2009, 03:34 PM
1. Piece value - number of moves: +25 each
2. Colour: Jones +10 Smerdon -10
3. Player in first or last place: both -10 (I'm being lenient. Mig says nothing about =1st)
4. Rating difference: Jones +6 Smerdon -6. I've used Smerdon's ACF which I believe to be more accurate; Jones is about the same on both.
5. Preceding losses: N/A

6. No play bonus: symmetrical pawn structure: both players -5
7. Triple rep bonus: not applicable
8. Been there done that: first new move is 12.e4 according to Fritz database so +10 to both
9. Why bother: +30 to both
10. "What, me win?" NA

+66 for Jones, +34 for Smerdon = Cock-a-doodle-doo vs Sparrow (http://www.chessninja.com/migonchess/migonchess116.htm).

Don't really blame either of them or the organisers though - when two very strong players unexpectedly enter a short knockout then a quick last-round draw is an extremely likely result.

eclectic
28-04-2009, 03:40 PM
it's not like it were a fide rated tournament with smerdon able to glean those last handful of ratings points for that coveted title :whistle:

ER
28-04-2009, 08:22 PM
One would expect a complete round by round results report for this very important tournament!

eclectic
28-04-2009, 08:26 PM
One would expect a complete round by round results report for this very important tournament!

Nalchik is in another thread ;)

ER
28-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Nalchik is in another thread ;)
I am lost! help plz eclecticus?

Desmond
29-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I am lost! help plz eclecticus?I think ecles was asserting that this was not a 'very important tourmament'.

Adamski
29-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I think ecles was asserting that this was not a 'very important tourmament'.In that case I would disagree with him. Any tournament with GM and IM players is "important" in the Australasian context. It also made me wonder why there was no NSW Anzac Weekender. Perhaps too close in date to the SIO - more so this year than in some.

Watto
29-04-2009, 01:52 PM
In that case I would disagree with him. Any tournament with GM and IM players is "important" in the Australasian context.
eclectic does like to stir the MCC and probably deserves to be misunderstood ;) but for the sake of factual accuracy, I’m going to have to defend him. The Nalchik post is just a quip. It’s clear he believes this weekender is important as earlier in the thread he describes it as a serious event and the main event (by contrast to what he felt was the ‘sideshow’ allegro which ran alongside it.)

Incidentally, regarding Grant’s message earlier in this thread where he defends the allegro (“… the allegro is not a sideshow. I actually believe that it is the MCCs most important event! This may sound strange to some people, but I will explain the reasons”), like other posters, I also thought he made all sorts of great points which convinced me that the allegro is an essential event for the long-term health of the club even though i've never played in it! :) (to be honest though, I’d be a bit sad if the allegro was really seen by the committee as the MCC’s most important event ie ahead of the Championship and some other events. Anyway, that’s a minor quibble.)

Back to this tournament… the committee worked really hard during this weekend to put on two events (three, with the Simul) so huge congratulations to them. :clap:
p.s. I’d also love to see a crosstable at some stage. :)

Carl Gorka
29-04-2009, 05:15 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

"TOURNAMENT REPORT by Grant Szuveges

The ANZAC Day weekender was a strange little tournament in that everything went completely to plan! There were no major upsets, no disputes, no controversy - just 22 players enjoying having a few games of chess... There were only 2 upsets in the entire tournament, with the rating difference between the players involved less than 100 points in both cases. There were also only 4 draws in the whole event. Despite the lack of upsets, the tournament was not boring. It was quaint (for lack of a better word) and still interesting for the many spectators.

What we did see, was a very professional performance by the top 2 seeds, who demolished everything in their path before drawing their final game against eachother. The only time that either of them were troubled came in round 3 when Eugene Schon had Smerdon in a pickle - but Smerdon's practical play under the circumstances was enough to get him off the hook. Both GM Jones and IM Smerdon gave a very instructive display of how to consistently beat 1800-2200 type players.

The small turnout resulted in many of the higher rated players playing against eachother, which suited many of the up-and-coming stronger juniors. Many of them played in the event to have a crack against the top two seeds. Bobby Cheng even managed to play both of them. When the smoke cleared, Eugene Schon ended up third in the tournament on 4 points - after consistently beating everyone rated below him too.

Efrain Tionko won the first rating prize scoring 3.5 after an interesting draw with FM James Morris in the final round, and Scott Humphreys and MCC junior Simon Krumbi shared the second group prize scoring 2 points each.

Despite the normality of the results, the tournament did give us (the MCC) a chance to road-test a few innovations regarding the tournament structure, such as half-point byes, the allegro running alongside it on day 1, and manual pairings - which many players said that they enjoyed because it brought back a bit of history at Australia's oldest chess club.

Id also like to mention that out of every tournament I have ever been involved in organising, the players in this event were by far the most courteous, polite and well behaved group I have ever had to be around. There was not a single dispute, a single problem, a single complaint or any arguments or bad sportsmanship. One player even waited for their opponent to get to the board after he was running late before starting the clock! The whole tournament was a pleasure to run. I was very impressed in particular, with the top 2 seeds. Throughout the tournament they were sociable, friendly and had lots of time for the other players. After sensibly drawing their final round game with eachother, they took the time to analyse it (which was great for the spectators) and played blitz and transfer chess with the other players. I was happy that they shared first prize as it felt symbolic that 2 complete gentlemen and great chess players should win a tournament which was notable for the spirit of fair play displayed by all of the participants.

After the prizegiving, IM David Smerdon gave a simul, to raise money for the MCC building fund. The simul was small but successful at raising funds and all participants got to play 2 games with David which he analysed with them afterwards."