PDA

View Full Version : Chess Movies / chess in movies and TV

jase
19-09-2004, 10:14 PM
What are your favourite movies with chess-related themes?

Obviously there's "Searching for Bobby Fischer", but I'm interested to know if there are other films you've really enjoyed that use chess. I remember watching "Fresh" in the mid-90s and thinking that was a great film with good use of chess as a metaphor within the narrative.

I can recall a horrible Christopher Lambert film that had great ideas but was poorly executed, from about 6 or 7 years ago.

Contributions?

Rincewind
19-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Austin Powers. ;)

JGB
19-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I can recall a horrible Christopher Lambert film that had great ideas but was poorly executed, from about 6 or 7 years ago.
Contributions?

...yeah that film was called 'Knight Moves', pretty sh*t really, although I always liked the song 'Night Moves', by Bob Seger although that has nothing to do with chess ;)

Kevin Bonham
20-09-2004, 09:03 PM
I remember watching "Fresh" in the mid-90s and thinking that was a great film with good use of chess as a metaphor within the narrative.

That was good. I don't remember too many other recent efforts offhand besides those mentioned above.

"Knight Moves" sucked as a movie about chess, especially the bit where the opening was databased using only the white moves. :wall:

eclectic
20-09-2004, 09:17 PM
That was good. I don't remember too many other recent efforts offhand besides those mentioned above.

"Knight Moves" sucked as a movie about chess, especially the bit where the opening was databased using only the white moves. :wall:

Some Trivia ...

A european film based on a book by someone known for lots of chess trivia and who also wrote the screenplay ...

though chess is not featured it is about a battle of wits between two people ...

and of course the d*mn yanks had to go make their own version of the movie and ruin the ending as is their want.

The movie?
The someone?
The book?

[Light entertainment for tonight]

eclectic

arosar
21-09-2004, 09:25 AM
How about that chess scene in Harry Potter?

Also, check this out: http://www.jeremysilman.com/movies_tv_js/chess_in_movies_tv.html

Now another interesting question is chess in advertisements (print, online, radio, tv, etc). There's so many of them around.

AR

Trent Parker
21-09-2004, 10:13 AM
At the start of the James Bond movie (i think it is "from russia with love") there is a scene where two men are playing chess. The position is based on a game between Spassky and Bronstein where Spassky won.

Alan Shore
21-09-2004, 10:39 AM
There's always the classic from 2001: A Space Odyssey with HAL 9000 playing chess.

Actually, I have seen a whole movie dedicated to chess, starring Jose Capablanca! It's a black and white silent film from around 1930 but it's a great watch, called 'Chess Fever'. It's about a young Russian man who is obsessed with chess, carrying his chess set everywhere, maddening the lady in his life and infecting everyone he meets with the desire to play! I found it at my university library a few years ago, so I recommend it if you can ever get your hands on it.

Alan Shore
21-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Wait, more is coming back to me now.. there was another great film called 'The Chess Game' that depicted a young French Grandmaster challenging Howard Staunton for the title of World Champion (the film was in French), it's very intriuiging!

Another one that I don't remember the name of was in Chinese and was about Chinese chess, half the story was about a little boy who was a genius the other was about a young man that no one had heard of who was a genius. The young man played a 10 board blindfold simul against the country's top players and won 9, the final game was between a reclusive old man and the moves were relayed by a boy on a bicycle, that ended in a draw offered by the old man even though he had the upper hand.

P.S. I actually didn't mind Knight Moves... as a rule Christopher Lambert movies are really bad but there were some good scenes, like the kid stabbing him in the hand with the pen at the start, creepy stuff!

JGB
21-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Chess in TV commercials is huge here in Germany, especially for the leading Banks. Deutsche Bank has a new one and the its about 40 seconds just focused on a chess board talking about 'Erfolg ist kein zufall', or something meaning success in business is no accident, its all about planning. Hence the use of chess.

Kaitlin
21-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Alice in Wonderland Through the Looking Glass has chess in it I think :hmm: where the Queen sings out 'off with they heads'. I think it was chess. :ponder:

eclectic
21-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Chess in TV commercials is huge here in Germany, especially for the leading Banks. Deutsche Bank has a new one and the its about 40 seconds just focused on a chess board talking about 'Erfolg ist kein zufall', or something meaning success in business is no accident, its all about planning. Hence the use of chess.

I'm waiting for Mike Moore's upcoming film

fischeRanting 960

:D

eclectic

shaun
21-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Some Trivia ...

A european film based on a book by someone known for lots of chess trivia and who also wrote the screenplay ...

though chess is not featured it is about a battle of wits between two people ...

and of course the d*mn yanks had to go make their own version of the movie and ruin the ending as is their want.

The movie?
The someone?
The book?

[Light entertainment for tonight]

eclectic

"The Vanishing", Tim Krabbe, "The Cuckoo's Egg"(?)

shaun
21-09-2004, 08:50 PM
"Black and White Like Day and Night" is an excellent German movie from the early 80's. It is about a computer programmer who gave up chess as a child but returns to it and becomes both World Champion and insane at about the same time. Almost every famous chess psychosis gets a run in this film (eg Steinitz playing god, Morphy having his food tasted etc).

Blazing Saddles has a good chess scene in it as well.

Further Trivia: Who is Tim Krabbe's famous brother and what is he famous for?

eclectic
21-09-2004, 09:48 PM
"The Vanishing", Tim Krabbe, "The Cuckoo's Egg"(?)

2/3

the golden egg

(but i can't be sure that something isn't lost in the dutch to english translation)

eclectic

eclectic
21-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Alice in Wonderland Through the Looking Glass has chess in it I think :hmm: where the Queen sings out 'orrff wif they heads'. I think it was chess. :ponder:

and of course jefferson airplane's song "white rabbit" expands on this very theme ...

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head
Feed your head
Feed your head"

at times it would seem we're all trying to "feed our head(s)" ... with chess
... or bulletin board babble

:P ;)

eclectic

ps kaitlin, if you haven't heard the song see if you can get it from somewhere

eclectic
21-09-2004, 10:14 PM
"Black and White Like Day and Night" is an excellent German movie from the early 80's. It is about a computer programmer who gave up chess as a child but returns to it and becomes both World Champion and insane at about the same time. Almost every famous chess psychosis gets a run in this film (eg Steinitz playing god, Morphy having his food tasted etc).

Blazing Saddles has a good chess scene in it as well.

Further Trivia: Who is Tim Krabbe's famous brother and what is he famous for?

jeroen krabbe film actor (part time artist?)

a link showing his film credits

http://entertainment.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?mp=f&c=208191

eclectic

Alan Shore
22-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Alice in Wonderland Through the Looking Glass has chess in it I think :hmm: where the Queen sings out 'orrff wif they heads'. I think it was chess. :ponder:

Actually it's the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland that cries 'off with his head!' but in Through the Looking glass Alice does meet the Red and White Queens, the White Knight and actually becomes a Queen herself. At the start of the book there's a chess position with 'White Pawn (Alice) to play and win in eleven moves' and if you follow the moves (re: what happens in the story) Alice takes the Red Queen on the final move to checkmate.

Alan Shore
22-09-2004, 06:31 AM

The classic commercial here was the chess game with a huge audience and a fan yells out 'Come on the BLACK!!! GO THE BLACK!! WOOO!!' So funny :D

Brian_Jones
23-09-2004, 12:17 PM
ACE currently stocks two chess movies on DVD:

1. Searching for Bobby Fischer is G-rated and still selling well.

2. The newly-released Luzhin Defence is M-rated (adult themes)

Both DVDs are available at www.chessaustralia.com.au

bobby1972
23-09-2004, 02:15 PM
what about" the get away" nice very nice

Kevin Bonham
23-09-2004, 11:51 PM
"Luzhin Defence" is based on Nabakov's "The Defence" - an excellent book but I understand that the film takes a lot of rather silly liberties with the script.

Rhubarb
30-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Tonight at 11:30 on SBS is the Italian film Check and Mate.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279365/

Trent Parker
30-11-2004, 10:13 PM

Hmmm probably with subtitles which i (being a slow reader) cannot keep up with but might check it out........

Alan Shore
01-12-2004, 12:50 AM

Didn't think that much of it..

Didn't think too much of Luzhin Defence either.. guess it's hard to make an engaging film about chess/chessplayers. Chess Fever is still the best.

PHAT
01-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Didn't think that much of it.

I did not see it - we don't have a TV. But I suggest that being a foreign film on SBS probably had you thinking that you would enjoy some nudey-rudey, but you didn't get any. My suggestion: take on a bed warmer.

Trent Parker
01-12-2004, 11:09 AM
it was pretty average.... Kept up with the subtitles though...... sat close up to the tv :)

shaun
01-12-2004, 11:31 AM
As a movie is seemed to lack real substance. It told a story but without to much detail.
However the chess representation was good. They got the games right (although SBS mistakenly subtitled 1.e4 c5 as 1.e4 g5?), with no silly opening names (eg Nightmoves) or absurdly constructed positions. A couple of Sicilians and a Marshall were easily recognisable, while I thought the game in the cafe she lost looked like Polugaevsky v Nehzmetdinov but it seemed to end too quickly.
And the Italian Champion always combing his hair cracked me up. I swear he was one of the Daddo brothers.

Trent Parker
01-12-2004, 11:52 AM
However the chess representation was good. They got the games right (although SBS mistakenly subtitled 1.e4 c5 as 1.e4 g5?), with no silly opening names (eg Nightmoves) or absurdly constructed positions.

Yeah i was wondering about that...... :lol: thanks for that.

And the Italian Champion always combing his hair cracked me up. I swear he was one of the Daddo brothers.

Yeah this was very amusing.

antichrist
01-12-2004, 06:28 PM
I woke up to see when she plays the guy (stepfather?) who doesn't look at the board. I am guessing the beginning of the climax of the movie. Thought it was excellent from their onwards, especially the background story.

That .itch of a mother accusing the father of molesting the girl while actually he was protecting her.

My old grandmother who's English was quite poor used to watch Homicide and thought it was genuine. She would then describe it to us in Arabic with full theatrics, we would pretend to get the story.

WBA
09-12-2004, 06:43 AM
The Luzhin defense is an excellent movie and is wonderfully acted by the very talented pair of John Turturro and Emily Watson. There are silly points to the movie, such as when Watson plays Turturro's opponent after his demise so as to finish off the game. To suggest that the equal best player in world may have missed a five move combination after many months of analysing is ridiculous of course, however that was never the point and the movie was not made to the small chess playing market, btu to the wider audience. Nabikov of course has an experieince with chess players, with suggestions the maths professor from lolita was based on a strong chess player he knew. and The Luzhin Defense touches on the paranoia and introvertness prevalent in the chess community. There is a touch of Morphy to what is going on as Lushin fights an ultimately losing battle against his inner demons. Watson adds a lot with her portrayal as the only person to infiltrate the barrier surrounding the brilliant but tragic Luzhin.

Highly recommend it 7/10

The order of the 5 chess movies I have seen would be

1 The Luzhin Defense
2 Fresh
3 Searching for Bobby Fischer
4 The Chess Master
5 Knight Moves

arosar
09-12-2004, 07:22 AM
What about Joan of Arcadia last night on Channel 9? This chick beat the school's #1 by "accident". No one could explain this. But some chessmaster butts in and gave his wisdom. This chick, apparently someone who did not even know the basic rules, won because the #1 chess player was using logic and this chick wasn't. Something to do with chaos theory or something.

AR

arosar
09-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Also, the Tarzan cartoon last Sunday had chess as a theme.

Good morning boys! Just thought I'd share that.

AR

Rincewind
09-12-2004, 08:19 AM

Damn, must have missed it. I thought last Sunday was the flourescent ape who could magically heal other animals. Was that the Sunday before?

pballard
09-12-2004, 01:36 PM
From the early 1980's, I remember a Blakes Seven episode in which one of the stars gambles his life in a game of chess. I was fascinated at the time because the games looked real.

Fast forward to today: a quick net search turns up a partial reconstruction of the games, but no mention of whether they are historical games (as in 2001):

http://www.btinternet.com/~blakes.seven/main/Scripts/body_24_gambit.htm

Rincewind
09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
I can't find any form on the first game. Perhaps it was played in high level British competition but not high enough to make my database.

However game 2. Vila - The Klute was a GM game. It was Nunn-Soos, 1979 - the same year as the Blake's 7 episode.

Here is the full game.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Bc4 Be7 8.Qe2
Nxd4 9.Bxd4 O-O 10.O-O-O Qa5 11.e5 dxe5 12.Bxe5 b6 13.f4 Bb7 14.Rhf1 Rac8
15.Bd3 Nd5 16.Bxh7+ Kxh7 17.Qh5+ Kg8 18.Bxg7 Kxg7 19.Qg4+ Kh8 20.Qh5+
1/2-1/2

pballard
09-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Thank you very much! How did you do that? Give the program a position and it finds any games with that position?

--
Peter

Rincewind
09-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Thank you very much! How did you do that? Give the program a position and it finds any games with that position?

Yep. I used SCID and a large database of games to search for the position after white's 19th move. One game was found. A quick check of previous moves confirms the identity.

As I said no form could be found on Game 1. It is a much wilder position and may have been concocted for the show. If anyone digs something up, please post it here.

Denis_Jessop
09-12-2004, 10:49 PM
If you want a "heavy" film with a chess theme running through it you can't go far beyond Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" (1957) - Swedish with subtitles! - starring Max von Sydow in which a knight challenges Death to a game of chess. It's actually one of Bergman's best films in my opinion as I don't like his later ones very much.

Denis Jessop

Rhubarb
10-12-2004, 05:13 AM
However game 2. Vila - The Klute was a GM game. It was Nunn-Soos, 1979 - the same year as the Blake's 7 episode.
An excellent choice by the producers; a game by a talentless robotic freak.

Rincewind
10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
An excellent choice by the producers; a game by a talentless robotic freak.

:)

Well your right in this instance in particular. The game has as much excitement as a tourist tea-towel. I doubt you would need a computer of Orac's emmense power to see the regulation double bishop sac for 20 move forced draw by rep. The Klute must have been a patzer for allowing it if Vila had white and draw odds.

pballard
10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
:)

Well your right in this instance in particular. The game has as much excitement as a tourist tea-towel. I doubt you would need a computer of Orac's emmense power to see the regulation double bishop sac for 20 move forced draw by rep. The Klute must have been a patzer for allowing it if Vila had white and draw odds.

Yeah, strange choice of game indeed.

Even the first game is a bit of a disappointment, because I (well actually GNUChess) reckon in the final position white can draw with 26 Bc1.

Maybe their chess consultant money came out of their special effects budget (i.e. practically zero).

--
Peter

rob
10-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Damn, must have missed it. I thought last Sunday was the flourescent ape who could magically heal other animals. Was that the Sunday before?

Not sure if you and 'arosar' also like the original 'Tarzan' with Johhny W - recently they've released two DVD's for about $8 each - they contain three films on each :) I got mine from ezydvd - I don't know if you have that in the East.

Rincewind
10-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Not sure if you and 'arosar' also like the original 'Tarzan' with Johhny W - recently they've released two DVD's for about $8 each - they contain three films on each :) I got mine from ezydvd - I don't know if you have that in the East.

I'm more of a 'Toon fan (not that I would consider Tarzan top-shelf) but I used to watch the old Tarzan tv show. I believe that had Ron Ely in the title role.

arosar
10-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Even at my age I still like cartoons . . . I like Kim Possible too.

AR

antichrist
11-12-2004, 12:04 PM

AR

Enjoy your second childhood. If with children I will watch the Simpsons.

Rincewind
12-12-2004, 08:55 AM
OK to draw the thread of comments, re: The Luzhin Defence, together...

2. The newly-released Luzhin Defence is M-rated (adult themes)

"Luzhin Defence" is based on Nabakov's "The Defence" - an excellent book but I understand that the film takes a lot of rather silly liberties with the script.

Didn't think too much of Luzhin Defence either.. guess it's hard to make an engaging film about chess/chessplayers.

The Luzhin defense is an excellent movie and is wonderfully acted by the very talented pair of John Turturro and Emily Watson. There are silly points to the movie, such as when Watson plays Turturro's opponent after his demise so as to finish off the game. To suggest that the equal best player in world may have missed a five move combination after many months of analysing is ridiculous of course, however that was never the point and the movie was not made to the small chess playing market, btu to the wider audience. Nabikov of course has an experieince with chess players, with suggestions the maths professor from lolita was based on a strong chess player he knew. and The Luzhin Defense touches on the paranoia and introvertness prevalent in the chess community. There is a touch of Morphy to what is going on as Lushin fights an ultimately losing battle against his inner demons. Watson adds a lot with her portrayal as the only person to infiltrate the barrier surrounding the brilliant but tragic Luzhin.

Highly recommend it 7/10

I saw it last night and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the character of Luzhin was engaging and well acted by Turturro. However, not much is revealed of the others and they are generally cast in a very 2-d way. This is brought into higher relief by the complexity of Luzhin.

The way the period was portrayed with attention to detail in the costume and sets - it was very enjoyable to watch. I also liked the way they avoided using phony Russian accents, I think that would have been very distracting. The occasional use of Italian and French set the scene without seeming ridiculous.

Not having read the book I cannot comment as to liberties. Regarding the final scene: for me the story is really over in the second last scene and the final scene where Luzhin's widow finishes the game doesn't do much for me. But I understand from a position of mainstream popularity, this scene might have seemed "required".

I think 7/10 seems about right.

One point of interest as a possible anachronism in the film. One of the character's describes Luzhin's opponent as an "Italian grandmaster". Now the film appears to be set in the late 20's or 30s. Would the term grandmaster have had currency in that period? I realise this is nit-picking and really didn't distract me at the time but I was wondering...

Denis_Jessop
12-12-2004, 07:28 PM
OK to draw the thread of comments, re: The Luzhin Defence, together...

One point of interest as a possible anachronism in the film. One of the character's describes Luzhin's opponent as an "Italian grandmaster". Now the film appears to be set in the late 20's or 30s. Would the term grandmaster have had currency in that period? I realise this is nit-picking and really didn't distract me at the time but I was wondering...

According to the "Oxford Companion to Chess" the term "grandmaster" was commonly used before its official adoption by FIDE in 1950. Its first use in connection with chess was probably in 1838. It was later used to describe Philidor and a few other players. It gained wider currency early in the 20th century when tournaments were sometimes called grandmaster events eg Ostend 1907, San Sebastian 1912.

Denis Jessop

Rincewind
12-12-2004, 08:44 PM
According to the "Oxford Companion to Chess" the term "grandmaster" was commonly used before its official adoption by FIDE in 1950. Its first use in connection with chess was probably in 1838. It was later used to describe Philidor and a few other players. It gained wider currency early in the 20th century when tournaments were sometimes called grandmaster events eg Ostend 1907, San Sebastian 1912.

Thanks.

Alan Shore
12-12-2004, 08:59 PM

Denis Jessop

In the French film 'The Chess Game' depicting Howard Staunton vs. the French player 'Max' both were referred to as 'Grandmaster' which seems to almost fit in with Denis's historical descriptions.. if I remember it was Staunton, Anderssen and Morphy who were chronologically the forefathers of chess before the 'official' WC Steinitz of the modern era.

Rincewind
12-12-2004, 09:17 PM
In the French film 'The Chess Game' depicting Howard Staunton vs. the French player 'Max' both were referred to as 'Grandmaster' which seems to almost fit in with Denis's historical descriptions.. if I remember it was Staunton, Anderssen and Morphy who were chronologically the forefathers of chess before the 'official' WC Steinitz of the modern era.

From a philosophical context, those three are distinctly pre-Steinitz in a way which is unlike anyone to come after him.

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2005, 11:30 PM
I just watched "The Luzhin Defence" on DVD. I own a copy of the book (which took me years to find, Hobart being Hobart - recently I saw a really beautiful hardback copy and had to restrain myself from buying that as well). To call the film "based on" the novel is really a stretch. Some characters are similar and some of the incidents are the same but basically the plot has been completely rewritten. More on this in item 103 of Tim Krabbe's Open Chess Diary (http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess2/diary_6.htm). While a film based too closely on the book would have been deadly dull I think it's a real shame that severe liberties with the reality of chess tournaments were needlessly taken in the process of transforming it.

I found the film emotionally moving but also severely overdone and on the whole the portrayal of chess players (including Luzhin himself, whose freakery was way overdone) was very caricatured. That said, Turturro is excellent.

The DVD is bereft of interesting extras. Shame as I would have been interested to see what excuse the makers offered for the changes made. Nabakov would certainly be spinning in his grave.

I finally got around to seeing "Searching for Bobby Fischer" late last year and that one gets the thumbs up.

antichrist
24-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Listen KB, who is going to debate this at this hour of night. I am watching a movie I have an excuse. But is does not have a patch on the Filipino one which was a classic.

Have you read "The Royal Game", I loved it. It should be on the HSC reading list.

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Have you read "The Royal Game", I loved it.

Yes, it is brilliant. From memory (it was a looooooooong time ago) I enjoyed some of the other stories in the same volume too.

Denis_Jessop
25-05-2005, 10:21 PM
This thread may have been given either a real kick ahead or its death sentence by an article referred to, and summarised, in the latest edition of The Chessville Weekly.

On its website at <www.chessville.com/BillWall/ChessInMovies.htm> there is an article by the said Bill Wall entitled "Chess in the Movies" in which he mentions many movies including chess scenes. But his piece de resistance is a list of all 702 (count them!) movies in which he is aware that there are chess scenes. It can be reached by a link in his article.

Obviously one for the real fanatic.

DJ

antichrist
26-05-2005, 03:20 AM
This thread may have been given either a real kick ahead or its death sentence by an article referred to, and summarised, in the latest edition of The Chessville Weekly.

On its website at <www.chessville.com/BillWall/ChessInMovies.htm> there is an article by the said Bill Wall entitled "Chess in the Movies" in which he mentions many movies including chess scenes. But his piece de resistance is a list of all 702 (count them!) movies in which he is aware that there are chess scenes. It can be reached by a link in his article.

Obviously one for the real fanatic.

DJ

Does that include foreign films?

The Nanny (from Turkey) had such a scene a few weeks ago.

Rincewind
26-05-2005, 08:45 AM
I watched Bladerunner (director's cut) last week (yes again) and realised that no one has yet mentioned the chess scene from that movie. While not central to the development of the plot it is a used as a device to set up a situation which probably would not have otherwise occured. Apparently the game used is the Immortal Game so not a lot of points to Scott for originality but I hear the position depicted on the board is not quite right either.

Either way a great film (as I think I may have mentioned in another thread or two). Also does anyone know if the original 'European Theatrical' version is available on DVD? (The one with the Harrison Ford voiceovers). Would be good to have both versions to 'compare and contrast'. ;)

Denis_Jessop
26-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Does that include foreign films?

The Nanny (from Turkey) had such a scene a few weeks ago.

Yes - many of the films listed are "foreign", that is, not from the USA. There are a lot of European films, but not The Nanny, at least under that title. So perhaps that makes it 703. (Did it have a title in Turkish or whatever?)

DJ

PS the list also contains some very brief comments, sometimes just the actors' names, about most of the films in it.

antichrist
26-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't know the Turkish name, but if you visit that Turk's kebab shop in Sydney's north shore who got all those illegal migrants in he may be able to give a translation.

Just checked out SBS site and in Turkish it is called "DADI" The scene was two or three weeks ago. I think I announced it in shout box at the time, a Tuesday night at around 1am, as each episode has a name.

You know towards the end of the year I want to try and make a (sorry low brow) chess film of transfer chess, of a famous game where they swap clothes as well as pieces, mixed teams. Set in a swanky beach location. I am trying to get actor Jason involved but we are class enemies.

Ausknight
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
So far I've really enjoyed Searching for Bobby Fischer but I'm curious as to what other chess oriented movies are out there to watch?

I'm not talking about movies that have a 'chess scene' only in them as much as a movie which actually revolves around the game similar to Searching for Bobby Fischer did all the way through.

It seems most of what you watch in regards to the game revolves around either documentaries or tutorial formats, so I wouldn't mind checking out a drama or something similar that focuses more on the less technical aspects of the game.

Post your recommendations here!

Cheers

Denis_Jessop
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
So far I've really enjoyed Searching for Bobby Fischer but I'm curious as to what other chess oriented movies are out there to watch?

I'm not talking about movies that have a 'chess scene' only in them as much as a movie which actually revolves around the game similar to Searching for Bobby Fischer did all the way through.

It seems most of what you watch in regards to the game revolves around either documentaries or tutorial formats, so I wouldn't mind checking out a drama or something similar that focuses more on the less technical aspects of the game.

Post your recommendations here!

Cheers

I've a feeling that there is an old thread on this somewhere. [threads merged - mod]

I've only seen one - "Black and White like Day and Night" starring Bruno Ganz, a German TV movie that was on ABC or SBS several years ago. It was rather good but then Bruno Ganz is a very good actor.

There is also "Knight Moves" which has been mentioned on this BB and of which I bought a tape for $1 at the Salvos the other day but haven't yet watched it. Halliwell is lukewarm, at best, about it while there are apparently at least 1001 other movies that you see iin preference before you die :) .

Alexrules01
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I saw a movie, fairly new. I think it is called "Knights of the South Bronx"

Bereaved
12-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Hi Ausknight,

There is also a movie called Fresh which has a lot about chess within it, in fact when I first saw the film it was because the Dandenong chess club was given free tickets and I ended up with about 5 of them somehow

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

ER
12-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Nothing beats the old Soviet classic "Chess Fever" starring Capa and featuring most of the greats of the '20s!
CHESS FEVER
Soviet Union, 1925
Directors: Vsevolod Pudovkin and Nikolai Shpikovsky
Starring: Vladimir Fogel, Anna Zemtsova, Zakhar Darevsky, Konstantin Eggert, Natalya Glan, F. Ivanov, Boris Barnet, Jose Raul Capablanca
Further info
http://www.jeremysilman.com/movies_tv_js/chess_fever.html
Also interesting
SCHACHNOVELLE, DIE (BRAINWASHED, THE) – 1960/Black & White)
Directed by: Gerd Oswald
Starring: Curt Jurgens, Claire Bloom
German with English subtitles

Ausknight
12-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Awesome, thanks for the heads up on those flicks - I'll be sure to check them out.

Seems in the modern era we're not seeing much in regards to the chess board which is a bit of a shame. Still, more moofies to watch over the weekend = :clap:

Kaitlin
12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
ah and that phyloisphy one I put in another thread somewhere .. except its all in spanish

Kevin Bonham
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I've merged an old thread on the same theme into this one. There are also several reviews of an Italian chess movie on another thread at
http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2893

antichrist
13-03-2009, 01:49 PM
How about someone try to organise a chess film festival to co-incide with a chess tourney? With game in the day and chess movie at night we want to ensure that no one stay sane

Denis_Jessop
13-03-2009, 09:09 PM
How about someone try to organise a chess film festival to co-incide with a chess tourney? With game in the day and chess movie at night we want to ensure that no one stay sane

The Australian Championship, January 2010 is slotted for Sydney so there is your big chance to do as you say should be done.

DJ

Rincewind
29-04-2009, 08:52 PM
One of the chess references in the Big Bang Theory.

OOQHw4Ymy6c

I don't know if the game is a famous one (perhaps Spock-Kirk stardate 3472.1)

Desmond
09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
OK on the score of popular culture's crimes against the game of chess, the latest instalment of Twilight owes a dollar to the tin.

In this position it is White (Bella) on the move. Admittedly the position is pretty crazy, but let's give it the benefit of the doubt. Given the difficult choice of chopping the Queen, or a choice of pawn promotions with tempo, Bella takes the considered decision to play Kd1, moving into double-check.

To which Black (Edward) replies by promptly moving his Queen down the board to knock over the White King ... and then place the Queen on d2.

My head hurts.... :doh:

3k4/5PP1/1b1q4/p6b/1B4n1/1Rn3p1/8/4K3 w - - 0 1

Rincewind
09-12-2011, 10:51 PM
To which Black (Edward) replies by promptly moving his Queen down the board to knock over the White King ... and then place the Queen on d2.

I'm sure it is meant as a metaphor of man's inhumanity to man.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM

maybe it was a less than subtle hint from bella to encourage edward to give up his kingdom for the power of his prospective queen bella.

(i have no idea what this fiilm is about although i hear its popular.)

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2011, 11:09 PM
(i have no idea what this fiilm is about although i hear its popular.)

It's notionally about wampyrs.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM
It's notionally about wampyrs.

i bet its no nosferatu.

Rincewind
09-12-2011, 11:21 PM
i bet its no nosferatu.

No I'm sure it is in colour.

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2011, 11:24 PM
The curious thing is that chess pieces feature on the front cover of one of the novels.

Denis_Jessop
10-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Shouldn't that be woman's inhumanity to man? :D

DJ

Aaron Guthrie
10-12-2011, 11:39 PM
From "Night Moves", as the position appears in the movie (according to what I can tell).
2k4r/ppp3pp/5n2/NQ4nq/8/1P3bP1/P1P2P1P/4R1K1 b - - 0 1
1...Qxh2 2.Kxh2 Ng4+ 3.Kg1 Nh3+ 4. Kf1 Nh2#
They go through the moves twice. The second time they go to a close up of the board while 3.Kg1 is being played. In the close up the bishop is on c6, not f3.
The position as it appears in the game the above is taken from, Emmrich - Moritz 1922. Moritz did not play Qxh2. The movie references the fact that it is missed.
2k5/ppp3pp/8/NQ2n2q/2Pp1n2/R4bP1/1P3P1P/4R1K1 b - - 0 1

Saragossa
12-12-2011, 12:07 PM
'The Jerk' an episode of House gives it an okay go. I think they just played through a famous game though they shot it in a way in which it was pretty confusing to watch. I was seriously surprised at how bad the park chess scene was done in searching for bobby fischer.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
'The Jerk' an episode of House gives it an okay go. I think they just played through a famous game though they shot it in a way in which it was pretty confusing to watch. I was seriously surprised at how bad the park chess scene was done in searching for bobby fischer.

if i remember correctly the "house" game started out as the bird opening then transposed to the grand prix.

which famous game was it supposed to be ?

Saragossa
13-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes, that's what I gathered as well. I misused famous, although, it does seem the game follows an actual combination. Black getting split open on the kingside and winning some material. So either they were strong enough to construct a game as such, or they just snatched a random romantic game on someone's advice.

AzureBlue
13-12-2011, 08:53 PM
The musical "Chess" is amazing :) It's about two men competing in a chess tournament that is also a symbol for the greater struggle between the US and the USSR in the Cold War. More thorough plot synopsis here: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_%28musical%29)

Best anthem ever :D
R7QJe1oxpps

Max Illingworth
13-12-2011, 10:03 PM
The musical "Chess" is amazing :) It's about two men competing in a chess tournament that is also a symbol for the greater struggle between the US and the USSR in the Cold War. More thorough plot synopsis here: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_%28musical%29)

Best anthem ever :D
R7QJe1oxpps

My former high school performed the musical and I own the album from the musical. My favourite song was 'One Night in Bangkok'.

AzureBlue
15-12-2011, 09:53 AM
My former high school performed the musical and I own the album from the musical. My favourite song was 'One Night in Bangkok'.
That's awesome, I wish my school would do that! :)
My favourite numbers are 'Anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olRnU5L2CUg)', 'Heaven help my heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4B4mr369CY)', 'Mountain Duet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUDHENZfSxk)', 'Someone else's story (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZLDdEJulCk)', 'I know him so well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzLLlgorOc)', 'Endgame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Kb_L45vjg)', 'You and I/The Story of Chess (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HmasQbkXo)' :D

Desmond
18-12-2011, 04:42 PM
The curious thing is that chess pieces feature on the front cover of one of the novels.
Yes that cover was what first drew my attention to the series.

I think the significant of the cover is that Bella starts as a normal human (pawn) and has the potential to promote to something more powerful.

I had also thought that there was significance with the colours ... Red for the human being the blood source and White for the vampire. But then in the movie Edward plays with the Red pieces, so maybe there wasn't anything in it.

ER
03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
uneventful chess movie "Queen to Play"on SBS1 right now! French spinsterish woman takes lessons from American intellectual type. She even refuses extra hours work at a hotel so she can play chess!

antichrist
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
uneventful chess movie "Queen to Play"on SBS1 right now! French spinsterish woman takes lessons from American intellectual type. She even refuses extra hours work at a hotel so she can play chess!

she just did an Ivanchuk's uncle act and belted the chess pieces everywhere

Adamski
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I saw the second Sherlock Holmes film last night. featured blitz between Holmes and Prof Moriarty with a lovely old analogue clock. Quite a few moves included, called out in descriptive notation, as appropriate for the 1890s setting. Worthwhile movie, though featurung a candidate for the worst honeymoon in history for poor Dr John and Mary Watson.

Saragossa
11-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I saw the second Sherlock Holmes film last night. featured blitz between Holmes and Prof Moriarty with a lovely old analogue clock. Quite a few moves included, called out in descriptive notation, as appropriate for the 1890s setting. Worthwhile movie, though featurung a candidate for the worst honeymoon in history for poor Dr John and Mary Watson.

I read on chess.com that the game was based on Larsen - Petrosian 1966 San Barbara with colours reversed, although, I am unable to find that game on anything but youtube, so if someone is able to post the game it would be much appreciated. The dialogue seemed to go:

Holmes: Bishop takes Knight, check.
Moriarty: King to Rook two.
Holmes: Rook to King's Rook three, check.
Moriarty: Bishop to Rook three.
Holmes: Bishop takes Bishop.

From which we can infer a few things. I believe Holmes played white but I can't be sure. Either way, the discovery was set up very early and ended in discovered checkmate, 'Bishop to Bishop eight'. The first position I conjured up is as described: Black's king on h7, White's dark-squared bishop on f8, providing the discovery from the rook on h3, and white's light-squared bishop on f7, having taken the knight. All the other moves between 'Bishop takes bishop' and 'Bishop to bishop eight discovered check and mate' were just interfering moves from black, as none of them were announced with check.

Mephistopheles
13-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Skimming through this thread, I was given reason to remember that a movie based on Walter Tevis's The Queen's Gambit has been tossed around for the best part of 20 years now. Before Mr Ledger's death (according to Wikipedia), it was mooted as his first directorial project, with Ellen Page to play Beth harmon. I can barely think of a more perfect piece of casting. Shame it'll never happen.

Hobbes
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
hw08v_JdnJY

Adamski
12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
That featured one of the more unusual uses of chess pieces.

Desmond
21-05-2014, 03:57 PM
TV Show rather than a movie, but

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008-9) has very strong chess themes throughout. Set after the events of the T2 movie, Skynet is instead destined to be founded off the back of a chess computer program called The Turk, that presumably reaches self-awareness at some point. Great show, sadly cut short after 2 seasons.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2014, 08:16 PM
A miniseries currently showing on ABC, World Without End, had a chess scene this week. While it was none too easy to work out what was going on as the board was glimpsed only briefly and the pieces were ornate in appearance, I did have some doubts it was actually mate based on the pieces clustered around the opposing king. But perhaps it was. A more telling issue is this: the series is set in the mid-1300s and queens don't move like that for another 150 years. Despite this, in the series' original form, the episodes are named after chess pieces.

ER
22-12-2014, 09:30 PM
A more telling issue is this: the series is set in the mid-1300s and queens don't move like that for another 150 years. Despite this, in the series' original form, the episodes are named after chess pieces.
Bertolt Brecht captured this idea successfully in his Leben des Galilei. In order to indicate that times have changed he has the monks playing short moves in Act One, whereas in Act Two we see them playing long moves! There are other interpretations of the chess scenes in the Life of Galileo but that's mainly an over exaggeration on behalf of some avant-garde directors since even the atheist and anti-religious B.B. wouldn't find such ideas practical and applicable!

Capablanca-Fan
23-12-2014, 04:09 AM
From the early 1980's, I remember a Blakes Seven episode in which one of the stars gambles his life in a game of chess. I was fascinated at the time because the games looked real.

Fast forward to today: a quick net search turns up a partial reconstruction of the games, but no mention of whether they are historical games (as in 2001):

http://www.btinternet.com/~blakes.seven/main/Scripts/body_24_gambit.htm
Oh, the first game was basically Robert Steel vs NN , Calcutta 1886 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1228288) with colours reversed (white just lost a tempo so it was Black playing the Steinitz gambit).

ER
30-08-2015, 01:50 AM
Also while in Romania I saw Le Tournoi - The Tournament – a French Chess Film made in 2015. Well made and quite credible chesswise (apart from a few slight inaccuracies) with an interesting story line and plot. As the director Elodie Namer, pointed out all the actors portraying chess players were trained by chess professionals in order to achieve the characteristic mannerisms and body language. The protagonist got so involved with the game that he studied chess six ours a day for nine months and participated in tournaments!

Kevin Bonham
21-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Posts moved

"Pawn Sacrifice" has its own thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16110-quot-Pawn-Sacrifice-quot-movie

Kevin Bonham
30-09-2015, 03:46 PM
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-subtext-buried-in-seven-great-movie-chess-scenes/

There is at least one mistake in the article.

Adamski
01-10-2015, 08:37 AM
I recently watched Bobby Fischer against the World, focussed on "the match of the century" and ebjoyed it. Some good interviews with mssters who knew him well. Looking forward to seeing Pawn Sacrifice, also about RJF.

lost
08-10-2015, 04:41 AM
Also while in Romania I saw Le Tournoi - The Tournament – a French Chess Film made in 2015. Well made and quite credible chesswise (apart from a few slight inaccuracies) with an interesting story line and plot. As the director Elodie Namer, pointed out all the actors portraying chess players were trained by chess professionals in order to achieve the characteristic mannerisms and body language. The protagonist got so involved with the game that he studied chess six ours a day for nine months and participated in tournaments!

Elliott,

I watched this on a plane, cannot remember the flight but it was a good film.

lost

Ian Rout
08-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Not a movie but I couldn't see an appropriate thread; mods may wish to move if there is one. Just saw an ad for Toyota with a brief scene where a player (or it looks more like a kibitzer) plays a move and announces check. The move is indeed check, and the position is implausible though not entirely ridiculous - but the board is the wrong way round.

Desmond
08-11-2015, 03:07 PM
I sold an old chess coffee table I had on gumtree, and was bought by a prop purchaser from Fox Studios. So if if you see one in a local production, could be mine!

ER
08-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Elliott,

I watched this on a plane, cannot remember the flight but it was a good film.

lost

Hi Jamie, another good reason to keep on flying! :)

ER
23-11-2015, 06:15 PM
I am just back from an enjoyable movie matinee at Elsternwick Cinemas.
The Polgar Variant, part of the always excellent Jewish Film Festival, was a good documentary
about the life and achievements of the famous Jewish/Hungarian Polgar sisters.
For more about the movie check here:
http://www.ruthfilms.com/films/new-releases/the-polgar-variant.html
A nice surprise was meeting (after quite a few years) Tom Kalisch and his beautiful wife Michelle!

Kevin Bonham
27-12-2019, 12:03 AM
A movie screened on SBS tonight, "Harry Brown" (2009) includes the protagonist giving a rather lengthy account of a Spassky-Fischer 1972 game that he is supposedly studying at the time. However while it was somewhat novel for Fischer to play the Pirc (though not the very first time he had played it), and the film is correct that he gave up the exchange (though failing to mention that he was a pawn up at the time) there were two significant factual errors (i) it was the 17th game not the 7th (ii) Fischer did not win the game, it was a draw.

This excerpt has little bearing on the film, which was well acted but politically obnoxious and somewhat predictable.

Capablanca-Fan
27-12-2019, 02:14 AM
A movie screened on SBS tonight, "Harry Brown" (2009) includes the protagonist giving a rather lengthy account of a Spassky-Fischer 1972 game that he is supposedly studying at the time. However while it was somewhat novel for Fischer to play the Pirc (though not the very first time he had played it), and the film is correct that he gave up the exchange (though failing to mention that he was a pawn up at the time) there were two significant factual errors (i) it was the 17th game not the 7th (ii) Fischer did not win the game, it was a draw.

This excerpt has little bearing on the film, which was well acted but politically obnoxious and somewhat predictable.

I've not seen this, but from descriptions, it seems like a British version of Death Wish 3, which was actually filmed in London although set in NYC.

Desmond
28-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Cool looking chess set in John Wick 3 briefly. Movie not that good though.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQcFO4XPCUU0Z4fvOQvbHvHIkqplQj alBjrO4vlN3jM5-6Bnxkn

Desmond
08-03-2020, 08:38 AM
I watched Tower Heist (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471042/) with Ben Stiller, Alan Alda, Eddie Murphy etc last night. It had a brief reference to one of Marshall's games (Levitsy-Marshal 1912), and his "greatest move in the history of chess". Pretty good depiction, though they did botch it when they said that Marshall was otherwise losing without the move.

chess.com did a write up (https://www.chess.com/blog/SFN/the-movie-quottower-heistquot-and-the-greatest-move-in-the-history-of-chess) of it.

Ian Murray
08-03-2020, 01:34 PM
I've not seen this, but from descriptions, it seems like a British version of Death Wish 3, which was actually filmed in London although set in NYC.

Similar theme - civilian turns vigilante when police protection falls short

Patrick Byrom
08-03-2020, 02:02 PM
In the background of the second picture from the new Wonder Woman movie (https://heroichollywood.com/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-1984-action-image/), you can clearly see a store named "Chess King". I'd never heard of it, but Wikipedia comes to the rescue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_King):

In 1967, traveling salespeople from Melville's Thom McAn shoe business noted a "wide open market" for young men's clothing, which gave birth to the idea of starting a young men's clothing and shoe store. Market research reportedly found that chess and auto racing were popular interests of young men.
No comment!

So no direct connection to chess, unfortunately, but an interesting bit of trivia.

Allan Menham
04-04-2020, 08:27 AM
This great movie was on SBS last night. If you missed it you can watch it on SBS on demand. You will have to create a user name and password. Very easy to do

Desmond
04-04-2020, 10:14 AM
This great movie was on SBS last night. If you missed it you can watch it on SBS on demand. You will have to create a user name and password. Very easy to do

Nice, haven't seen that one, will have to put it on my list. Tobey Maguire as Bobby Fischer.

Desmond
06-05-2020, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZBXTy5KK3I

Capablanca-Fan
07-05-2020, 01:27 AM
Nice, haven't seen that one, will have to put it on my list. Tobey Maguire as Bobby Fischer.

Yes, a good movie. Rather strange to see screen Fischer much smaller than screen Spassky, the reverse of real life.

antichrist
07-05-2020, 01:55 PM
There are a few chess scenes in movie Breaking Dawn. Not worth chasing up

antichrist
28-08-2020, 06:15 PM
There is a new chess Critical Thinking being released in about a week's time.

Desmond
28-08-2020, 08:51 PM
I'm watching David Suchet's Poirot boxed set. One of the episodes (I forget which, maybe season 4 or 5 somewhere) had this position with Poirot as Black. Pretty trivial given the (unlikely) piece balance, but after Nf7 and king moves somewhere, Poirot had a mate in 2 with Rg1 and a knight check.

2bk2r1/8/2nNn3/8/r6b/7q/1P1P4/3K4 w - - 0 1

Also when trying to google this just now, I couldn't find it, but I kept getting a reference to a later episode called the Big Four in season 13. So I'll look forward to that when I get up to it. :)

ER
29-08-2020, 01:21 PM
I took the opportunity during the shutdown to re-read some of my old books which I hadn't read for a while, and Queen's Gambit was one of them. Unfortunately my response was the same - it's Bobby Fischer with a happier ending. I can see the attraction of having a female protagonist, but strong female chessplayers are nowhere near as unusual as when the book was written. And movies have already been made about them - Queen of Katwe, for example. So that's one book I decided not to keep.

According to Peter Parr the novel was inspired by the American Womens Champion Lisa Lane, (here analysing with Bobby).

The discussion included an en passant reference to a possible connection between the two champions away from the chess board!

Back to the movies, I still believe that the delightful Chess Fever is always a must see jewel.

from my #64 post

Nothing beats the old Soviet classic "Chess Fever" starring Capa and featuring most of the greats of the '20s!

CHESS FEVER

Soviet Union, 1925

Directors: Vsevolod Pudovkin and Nikolai Shpikovsky

Starring: Vladimir Fogel, Anna Zemtsova, Zakhar Darevsky, Konstantin Eggert, Natalya Glan, F. Ivanov, Boris Barnet, Jose Raul Capablanca
and all the participants of the famous 1925 Moscow tournament.

Here's the whole movie.

https://youtu.be/NdXmtc56rsM

Also interesting

SCHACHNOVELLE, DIE (BRAINWASHED, THE) – 1960/Black & White)

Directed by: Gerd Oswald
Starring: Curt Jurgens, Claire Bloom
German with English subtitles

Capablanca-Fan
30-08-2020, 04:51 AM
I've known about Chess Fever (Shakhmatnaya Goryachka) for a while, but that ↑↑ was the first time I've watched it all the way through. Only ~28 minutes.

Is the name of the recent Women's challenger related to the word for fever?

ER
30-08-2020, 07:12 AM
Is the name of the recent Women's challenger related to the word for fever?
That's a very interesting question, I think that Michael and/or Vlad would be the most appropriate people to tell us.

Google's translation

fever =

высокая температура
vysokaya temperatura

Chess fever =
шахматная лихорадка
shakhmatnaya likhoradka

Further research: The film's title also translates into "Chess Heat" which as you pointed out is closer to the young Russian chess star's name!

Back to the film

I have read somewhere that famous writer Vladimir Nabokov makes a cameo appearance in this movie!
In Torre vs. Marshall the young Mexican looks like he is stunned facing the American champion who looks quite relaxed.
In Reti vs. Yates, the Englishman smokes like a chimney while the great Reti is a picture of concentration.
In Spielmann vs. Grunfeld, Spielmann is "caught" playing the move with the right hand and punching the clock with the left! :D

Capablanca-Fan
01-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Further research: The film's title also translates into "Chess Heat" which as you pointed out is closer to the young Russian chess star's name!
Yes, the name Горя́чкин(а) looks like a genitive of горя́чка, but I am not sure about why someone would be surnamed "(wo)man of a fever". But it would probably take a native Russian speaker to confirm, as you say.

Back to the film
I have read somewhere that famous writer Vladimir Nabokov makes a cameo appearance in this movie!
Would be a good thing to spot.

In Torre vs. Marshall the young Mexican looks like he is stunned facing the American champion who looks quite relaxed.
Marshall had an OK opening but blundered later. Some accusations were flying as seen in the comments (https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1095109), but Marshall was not known as a cheat. Swindler, definitely, but that is ethical.

In Reti vs. Yates, the Englishman smokes like a chimney while the great Reti is a picture of concentration.
Reti won that (https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100077), with his own openimg. He was certainly a higher class of player, but Yates was no pushover, having beaten Reti before (https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1102124).

In Spielmann vs. Grunfeld, Spielmann is "caught" playing the move with the right hand and punching the clock with the left! :D
Grünfeld missed a win there (https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1053124).

Kevin Bonham
20-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Posts moved

Posts entirely or mostly about The Queen's Gambit have been moved to:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18239-The-Queen-s-Gambit-(Netflix-mini-series)

Any comments re the split may be made in the Help and Feedback section only.

ER
20-11-2020, 09:06 AM
There's a chess scene in "Mirror Mirror" where the evil enchantress (Julia Roberts) announces a win by calling "c takes d4"

Desmond
24-11-2020, 09:28 PM
In a recent commentary, Svidler recommeded Endgame (2011) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1797629/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) as one of the best series for chess fans. As he put it, an eccentric GM recluse was solving mysteries from the confines of his hotel roon in a bathrobe. Just the single season, but I might check it out based on the recommendation.

Ian Rout
01-12-2020, 01:35 PM
In the HBO series The Undoing Donald Sutherland, who portrays Nicole Kidman's father and Hugh Grant's father-in-law, is briefly depicted in Episode 3 (can't remember if there was also another) playing chess and using some sort of program or app. I've only watched four episodes so I don't know what happens yet, but as Sherlock Holmes noted a century ago playing chess is a sign of a scheming mind and pretty much already proof of guilt on its own.

In real life Donald is 85 and probably wouldn't be up to too many gruesome murders, but his character may be younger and could in any case be involved in some other way, or there may be something interesting in his past - there are flashbacks in the opening sequence to a girl with Nicole's hairstyle.

The chess board is shown in soft light without a clear view of the whole board which is generally a way of avoiding setting up a sensible position. The episode has a cast and crew listing of 324 names on IMDB, only 40 of them actors, without a chess consultant mentioned. But Donald does have the board the right way round with the position looking largely plausible and when Nicole plays a Knight from c3 to d5 he responds by moving his Queen from c7, so someone in the 324 has an idea.

Patrick Byrom
01-12-2020, 01:50 PM
In the HBO series The Undoing Donald Sutherland, who portrays Nicole Kidman's father and Hugh Grant's father-in-law, is briefly depicted in Episode 3 (can't remember if there was also another) playing chess and using some sort of program or app. I've only watched four episodes so I don't know what happens yet, but as Sherlock Holmes noted a century ago playing chess is a sign of a scheming mind and pretty much already proof of guilt on its own.

In real life Donald is 85 and probably wouldn't be up to too many gruesome murders, but his character may be younger and could in any case be involved in some other way, or there may be something interesting in his past - there are flashbacks in the opening sequence to a girl with Nicole's hairstyle.

The chess board is shown in soft light without a clear view of the whole board which is generally a way of avoiding setting up a sensible position. The episode has a cast and crew listing of 324 names on IMDB, only 40 of them actors, without a chess consultant mentioned. But Donald does have the board the right way round with the position looking largely plausible and when Nicole plays a Knight from c3 to d5 he responds by moving his Queen from c7, so someone in the 324 has an idea.
This is one mystery that's easy to solve (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/29/the-day-donald-sutherland-showed-me-some-chess-moves):

At that moment, a shadow loomed over me, and a gravelly voice interrupted my glum thoughts of defeat. “You need to move that piece there,” explained the voice. “And when you’ve done that, move this piece over here.” With nothing to lose, this sounded like excellent advice, and I glanced up to thank my mystery saviour. Standing next to the table, scrutinising the board with a look of concentration, was none other than Donald Sutherland.

Allan Menham
18-12-2020, 07:13 AM
I was going through movies on Netflix last night. Found another chess movie. Innocent Moves. It was quite enjoyable to watch. Also on YouTube there are some good chess movies for free:clap:

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2020, 12:17 PM
I was going through movies on Netflix last night. Found another chess movie. Innocent Moves. It was quite enjoyable to watch. Also on YouTube there are some good chess movies for free:clap:

Innocent Moves is the UK title for Searching For Bobby Fischer.

Desmond
19-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Innocent Moves is the UK title for Searching For Bobby Fischer.

I wonder why they felt the need to rename it for the UK audience.

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2020, 04:28 PM

I can't find any reliable information on that, just speculation about UK audiences being unfamiliar with Bobby Fischer.

Patrick Byrom
21-12-2020, 05:33 PM
I can't find any reliable information on that, just speculation about UK audiences being unfamiliar with Bobby Fischer.That would be a logical reason, although "Innocent Moves" sounds like a teen romance to me :)

Having said that, it is the title of the first chapter of Josh Waitzkin's book "The Art if Learning" (https://www.amazon.com.au/Art-Learning-Journey-Optimal-Performance/dp/0743277465) from 2008, so that may be the link.

Desmond
21-12-2020, 07:17 PM
That would be a logical reason, although "Innocent Moves" sounds like a teen romance to me :)Same here, or some sort of Mills and Boon nonsense.

Having said that, it is the title of the first chapter of Josh Waitzkin's book "The Art if Learning" (https://www.amazon.com.au/Art-Learning-Journey-Optimal-Performance/dp/0743277465) from 2008, so that may be the link.
The movie predates the book by 15 years though.

Patrick Byrom
21-12-2020, 08:06 PM
The movie predates the book by 15 years though.Good point - I thought the movie was more recent for some reason! I do have another suggestion. There is a moderately-famous soccer player called "Bobby Fisher" from the UK (he has his own Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fisher_(footballer))), so maybe they wanted to avoid confusion?

pappubahry
21-12-2020, 08:37 PM

There are a couple of snippets in contemporary newspapers, which I can access via a paid newspapers.com account. Apparently it was also called "Innocent Moves" in Australia; the Sydney Morning Herald (9 Jan 1994, p158) says 'Called Searching for Bobby Fischer in the US because it was difficult to market a film about chess there....'

On the other hand, a syndicated American column in various US newspapers from Jan 1994 says: '"Searching for Bobby Fischer," the acclaimed box-office flop about a child chess whiz, is being released in England as "Innocent Moves," a title the studio hopes will be less intimidating to audiences.'

Bill Gletsos
21-12-2020, 10:17 PM
There are a couple of snippets in contemporary newspapers, which I can access via a paid newspapers.com account. Apparently it was also called "Innocent Moves" in Australia; the Sydney Morning Herald (9 Jan 1994, p158) says 'Called Searching for Bobby Fischer in the US because it was difficult to market a film about chess there....'

On the other hand, a syndicated American column in various US newspapers from Jan 1994 says: '"Searching for Bobby Fischer," the acclaimed box-office flop about a child chess whiz, is being released in England as "Innocent Moves," a title the studio hopes will be less intimidating to audiences.'The movie wasn’t released in Australia until October 1994.
I saw it along with Peter Parr, Ian and Cathy Rogers along with some other players at the Dendy in Sydney and it was called Searching for Bobby Fischer

Patrick Byrom
22-12-2020, 04:19 PM
The movie wasn’t released in Australia until October 1994. I saw it along with Peter Parr, Ian and Cathy Rogers along with some other players at the Dendy in Sydney and it was called Searching for Bobby FischerThe mystery deepens ... Here (https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/video/11686979886/Innocent-Moves) is Margaret Pomeranz on the Movie Show in December 1993 reviewing "Innocent Moves", and (about halfway through) describing it as having being "blandly retitled" (from "Searching for Bobby Fischer") for release in Australia.

Desmond
22-12-2020, 07:42 PM
When I saw it in the 90s on VHS it was certainly called Searching for Bobby Fischer.

Bill Gletsos
22-12-2020, 08:28 PM
The mystery deepens ... Here (https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/video/11686979886/Innocent-Moves) is Margaret Pomeranz on the Movie Show in December 1993 reviewing "Innocent Moves", and (about halfway through) describing it as having being "blandly retitled" (from "Searching for Bobby Fischer") for release in Australia.Here (https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11677251625/the-search-for-bobby-fischer?action=play) on the Movie Show in 1994 Margaret admits they were a bit ahead of themselves when they reviewed “Innocent Moves” and the movie release was dropped at the last minute and not released in 1993 but was now being released under its correct name “Searching for Bobby Fischer”.

Patrick Byrom
22-12-2020, 10:03 PM
Here (https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11677251625/the-search-for-bobby-fischer?action=play) on the Movie Show in 1994 Margaret admits they were a bit ahead of themselves when they reviewed “Innocent Moves” and the movie release was dropped at the last minute and not released in 1993 but was now being released under its correct name “Searching for Bobby Fischer”.That makes more sense, as I have never seen it listed in Australia except under its original title. And it supports my theory that the renaming originated in the UK, to prevent possible confusion with 'Bobby Fisher' :)

antichrist
22-12-2020, 10:52 PM
That's a very interesting question, I think that Michael and/or Vlad would be the most appropriate people to tell us.

Google's translation

fever =

высокая температура
vysokaya temperatura

Chess fever =
шахматная лихорадка
shakhmatnaya likhoradka

Back to the film

Torre can't be referred to as an Mexican, is it a different Torre or am I still half asleep?

Ian Rout
23-12-2020, 09:30 AM
is it a different Torre or am I still half asleep?
Yes to at least one of those. Eugenio Torre is from the Philippines but Carlos Torre, who ER refers to, was Mexican.

ER
23-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Yes to at least one of those

Add to that "a clueless clown" and you might have a more complete picture! It's a no brainer really!
I mean Eugene Torre born 1951 is [very elderly], but the Moscow tournament was held in 1925
The "Chess Fever" Carlos Jesús Torre Repetto was born in 1904 and died under tragic circumstances in a derelict old people's house in 1978.
He was awarded the GM title by FIDE one year before his death.
Both Torres have been wrongly described as bulls in various stages of their career. Torre with double R means "tower" in Spanish. Tore with one R means "bull"!

GoodNite
27-12-2020, 10:13 AM
Both Torres have been wrongly described as bulls in various stages of their career. Torre with double R means "tower" in Spanish. Tore with one R means "bull"!

¿Quizás querías decir “toro”? el toro =the bull en español.

ER
27-12-2020, 11:29 AM
You're right, I all come back later with some notes!

ER
27-12-2020, 01:18 PM
¿Quizás querías decir “toro”? el toro =the bull en español.

ok apologies i had to finish lunch!

Now to the point.

El torro (pl. los torros) = the tower (s) in Spanish
El toro (pl. los toros) = the bull (s) in Spanish

wrong application exampke : Mess with the bull and you get the horns. That was applied to Karpov's losing to Eugene Torre.
Correct application: Savielly Tartakower: We can't beat Torre (Carlos Jesús) because he plays with three rooks.

the word torre has other similar meanings as in Torre de Londres - the Tower of London
It usually applies in structural characteristics of architecture.

For the non Spanish speaking English speaker the word can be misunderstood and misinterpreted
The different pronunciation and accent won't help the English speaking person either

Enough of linguistics. Back to Chess movies!

ER
27-12-2020, 01:38 PM
A Requiem for Bobby Fischer Directed by Igor Stevanovic

https://tubitv.com/movies/513507/a-requiem-for-bobby-fischer?fbclid=IwAR0HwScwo35UNRBd2nRSqckvUdfLYHzE5 LORY-Ao2MGw9eBTmitUfzVz_vk

An interesting documentary, with quite a number of Serbian chess players friends of Fischer being interviewed.
It's in Serbian with English not always correct and/or syntactically suffering subtitles.
On the other hand there are quite a few complaints from the public asking for IDs of the personalities interviewed.
I say tough if you can't recognise world famous chess personalities such as Svetozar Gligoric, Borislav Ivkov, Milunka Lazarevic ...
Aleksandar Matanovic, and Dragoljub Velimirovic you need to go back to your chess school /books, (cds and online tutorials acceptable) and learn!

Adamski
28-12-2020, 08:02 AM
That makes more sense, as I have never seen it listed in Australia except under its original title. And it supports my theory that the renaming originated in the UK, to prevent possible confusion with 'Bobby Fisher' :)

I watched it recently on tv here (SBS) and it was under the orignal name. Enjoyed it. There is a lot of footage of Fischer so the original name is perfectly justified, and is of course also the title of the later book, which I own, by Josh's dad, Fred Waitzkin.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2020, 08:56 AM
...and is of course also the title of the later book, which I own, by Josh's dad, Fred Waitzkin.The first edition of the book came out before the movie.

GoodNite
28-12-2020, 06:15 PM
ok apologies i had to finish lunch!

El torro (pl. los torros) = the tower (s) in Spanish
El toro (pl. los toros) = the bull (s) in Spanish

Eek. Need more lunch? La torre = the tower. Las torres = the towers.
El toro = the bull. Los toros = a sad spectacle.

Back to “las peliculas”. LOL

Patrick Byrom
28-12-2020, 06:52 PM
Eek. Need more lunch? La torre = the tower. Las torres = the towers.
El toro = the bull. Los toros = a sad spectacle.
Back to “las peliculas”. LOLAs nobody has specifically mentioned it, I'll point out the obvious: La torre is also the name for the rook/castle in Spanish. Which is the explanation for Tartakower's play on words.

And, to be fair to ER, the gender of nouns in Spanish (as in French, which I studied at school) doesn't always make sense - a dress is male (el vestido), while a necktie is female (la corbata).

ER
28-12-2020, 08:30 PM
the gender of nouns in Spanish (as in French, which I studied at school) doesn't always make sense - a dress is male (el vestido), while a necktie is female (la corbata).

Also for the definite articles you have the plural form (el, los, la, las)
for the indefinite articles you have also the plural form as in un, una, (unos and unas).

As for our movie in discussion A Requiem for Bobby Fischer an interesting linguistic phenomenon can be observed when one studies the Serbian language.
There aren't any articles (def. or indef.) so the endings of words are used to to indicate the case.
In the Hellenic language there are masculine, feminine and neutral def. and indef. articles each with their own inflections in all cases.

Desmond
10-04-2021, 03:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJbiguzwiwE

ER
14-10-2021, 10:45 PM
Our Man in Havana is a 1959 British spy comedy film shot in CinemaScope, directed and produced by Carol Reed, and starring Alec Guinness, Burl Ives, Maureen O'Hara, Ralph Richardson, Noël Coward and Ernie Kovacs. The film is adapted from the 1958 novel Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene.
Text: wikipedia
Poster: From my own collection, Source: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/340373684334852090/
Doubt: Not sure if the movie has been mentioned here before. I only had a quick look and it hasn't. I will check more thoroughly tomorrow!

WillFairfax89
28-10-2021, 05:55 PM
Fahim is a boy from a poor family who plays chess with talent. And in 2008, Fahim immigrated to France with his father, and he was taken to one of the best chess schools. But he and his father were rejected, and they had to literally live on the street, without documents and registration. But in the end everything ended well: Fahim, having overcome difficulties, won the national championship, gained worldwide fame and a residence permit for himself and for his father.

Director Pierre-François Martin-Laval told this story in an inspiring and kind way. He revealed all the difficulties that the future champion faced: how he mastered French, how he made new friends, how he missed his mother, how he learned patience and the skill to resist rivals. Martin-Laval paid special attention to Fahim's relationship with his coach, Xavier Parmentier, who saw talent in the boy (in the film his name is Sylvan Charpentier and played by Gerard Depardieu). In life, they really had a very close and warm relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSc-416bz9o

WillFairfax89
28-10-2021, 06:09 PM
And one more movie about chess filmed relatively recently:

This film about the chess player Fiona Mutezi from Uganda was directed by Mira Nair (director of Vanity Fair with Reese Witherspoon). Katwe's Queen was inspired by her work on a documentary about Robert Katenda, Fiona's trainer.
Katwe is the poorest region in Uganda, where hunger, poverty and crime are rife. Robert himself said in an interview that life in Katwa is very difficult, and people live there, simply because they have no choice. Fiona was born in Katwa, her mother had no money to pay for school, so she could not read or write. Once, wandering around Katwa in search of food, the girl looked into the window of the local church, where Robert taught children to play chess and fed them.
So, in exchange for a plate of porridge, Fiona began to play. And she did so well that at first she beat all the boys, then Robert himself, and then completely began to represent Uganda at international competitions and became the African junior champion. And in 2010 she attended the World Chess Olympiad in Russia.
The Queen of Katwe shows Fiona's journey from a little slum girl to the chess queen of Uganda. The film was released by Disney studio, it turned out to be very kind and bright, smoothing corners in places. Throughout the film, the heroine demonstrates fortitude, hard work and determination. Her history proves that you can never say never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4l3-_yub5A