PDA

View Full Version : My First Tournament Game in 12months +

Ausknight
27-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Last night I managed to get back into the swing of things with my local chess club, playing my first comp game in over a year.

Time control was an hour and my opponent was a great serbian gent who hovers around the 1800 mark.

The game was actually really enjoyable and I tried my best, but a blunder on turn 11 hurt me badly and I just couldn't catch up (although I think I made a few positional blunders before this move which put me at a strong disadvantage)

1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e6 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bg5 c6 6.Qc2 Bb4 7.e3 O-O 8.Bd3 g6 9.h4 Qd6 10.Ne2 Re8 11.f3 Be6 12.Bxf6 Nd7 13.Bg5 Rac8 14.h5 c5 15.hxg6 fxg6 16.Bxg6 hxg6 17.Qxg6+ Kf8 18.Rh8+

I think my move to pin the Knight against the king on turn 6 was questionable as the knight really didn't play a role in the attacking line on h7.

Apart from the silly blunder with the Knight, can anyone tell me what would have been a better way for me to play this? My opponent was able to pretty easily divide my forces enough that he dismantled my kingside defences without much too difficulty and I'd like to know how to defend against that in the Queen's gambit in the future. I was actually quite surprised he was able to attack me as easily as he did without even needing to castle!

I still had a great time and my opponent was very kind, even with me taking far too long to consider my moves (40 minutes for my first 18 moves is far too slow, but I got stuck pretty much after turn 11 and couldn't find a plan to adequately attack or defend my position, so resorted more to 'hope' chess in trying to activate all my pieces and attack the centre, waiting for inspiration to strike - obviously it didn't work, lol!) and he even helped me analyse the game afterwards which was very polite indeed! A really nice gent and I hope to get more experience with him later, he was quite an inspiration for a beginner like myself to watch play as he was not only a great player, but had a terrific attitude as well.

:clap:

Basil
27-02-2009, 10:42 AM
It's a little difficult assess that game in detail beyond the comments you have already made. The game reinforces the minimal / reducing worth of playing with such a disparity between the strengths.

Welcome back to chess, Dan.

ER
27-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Aus, I think that your main problem in this game was the weekening ..g6 while your opponent hadn't castled yet. After this all he had to do was to advance his h-Pawn in order to further undermine your defence. After he did that all his pieces were directed against your King and there was not really anything you could do about it. Good luck try harder next time!

Jono, Michael, Kev and other stronger players will certainly give you more specific and useful tips about positions like this.
PS BTW I suggested this http://www.logicalchess.com/resources/lessons/endgame/
for you and Sprouty yesterday. I don't know if you saw it. It has some basic but very useful endgame lessons there! (that's for adding to your preparation repertoir)
see ya

Watto
27-02-2009, 12:53 PM
The game reinforces the minimal / reducing worth of playing with such a disparity between the strengths.

Whilst it doesn’t do much for the stronger player, I certainly think it helps the weaker player to play the strongest opposition they can.

MichaelBaron
27-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Its ok its just the start. Keep up the good work!

road runner
27-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't like 6...Bb4 in this line. The dark-squared bishop is an important defensinve piece, it should be placed on e7 to break the pin. Often it goes back to f8 or to d6 later on.

...g6 is often played in these lines with ideas of ...Bf5 at some point to trade off white's best minor piece. However. when coupled with the offsided DSB, the weakness on your dark squares looks close to fatal before move 11. 8...h6 was probably a better choice here.

Don't be afraid to block your LSB with Nbd7. The bishop is only temporarily blocked, the knight will usually move on to better squares, eg f8 or b6 and then the bishop can develop to a strong square later on.

Always remember your pawn breaks, in this case ...c5, can be played at an opportune moment. I see you played it later on,. but maybe 11...c5 was indicated. White's king was a little shakey in the centre and you need to break open the position in timely manner to get at him before he can castle. His knight is overworked watching d4 and also preventing a queen invasion on g3.

ER
27-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't like 6...Bb4 in this line. The dark-squared bishop is an important defensinve piece, it should be placed on e7 to break the pin. Often it goes back to f8 or to d6 later on.

...g6 is often played in these lines with ideas of ...Bf5 at some point to trade off white's best minor piece. However. when coupled with the offsided DSB, the weakness on your dark squares looks close to fatal before move 11. 8...h6 was probably a better choice here.

Don't be afraid to block your LSB with Nbd7. The bishop is only temporarily blocked, the knight will usually move on to better squares, eg f8 or b6 and then the bishop can develop to a strong square later on.

Always remember your pawn breaks, in this case ...c5, can be played at an opportune moment. I see you played it later on,. but maybe 11...c5 was indicated. White's king was a little shakey in the centre and you need to break open the position in timely manner to get at him before he can castle. His knight is overworked watching d4 and also preventing a queen invasion on g3.

This is all great stuff Boris thanks!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ausknight
27-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Agreed! Just the sort of feed back I was looking for - many thanks Boris and everyone else who's replied so far. I really appreciate it.

:clap:

Cheers

road runner
03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
You might like to check out this thread on the QGD Exchange Variation (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6322) too.

Kevin Bonham
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, ...Bb4 is a bit suspect because it is only pinning a knight that isn't doing anything and making no actual threat in the process. ...Be7 is most often played in that position, also ...Na6 is an interesting option.

On move 8, ...h6 is really the only move, but white is still somewhat better as white will soon castle and then Black's bishop on b4 will be doing nothing and will probably have to waste a move moving again.

Capablanca-Fan
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
2... Nf6 is bad, because White could have played 3. cxd5 Nxd5 4. Nf3! then e4 with a strong centre (not 4.e4 right away because 4... Nf6 5. Nc3 e5!).

Igor_Goldenberg
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
2... Nf6 is bad, because White could have played 3. cxd5 Nxd5 4. Nf3! then e4 with a strong centre (not 4.e4 right away because 4... Nf6 5. Nc3 e5!).
4.Nf3? is refuted by 4...g6. If 5.e4?? then 5...Nb6!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

road runner
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nf6 3.cxd5 Nxd5 4.Nf3 g6 5.e4 Nb6

Capablanca-Fan
04-03-2009, 11:55 AM
This is beyond me ... :eek:

road runner
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
This is beyond me ... :eek:
Ditto, I assume Igor is joking, but I don't get the joke.

Rincewind
04-03-2009, 01:36 PM

I think the five :lol: were a bit of a giveaway on that score. But just because someone is joking that doesn't make what they're saying funny to everyone.

Igor_Goldenberg
05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
2...Nf6 in the above game might lead to a normal Gruenfeld position (as my post shown). Hence marking it as wrong or even dubious is a bit premature.

road runner
05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
...Nb6 lines are not considered best play though are they? Normally that is why black waits until Nc3 is played before going ...d5 so that he can trade on c3.

Igor_Goldenberg
05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
...Nb6 lines are not considered best play though are they? Normally that is why black waits until Nc3 is played before going ...d5 so that he can trade on c3.
Mostly because it narrows the choice for black as white can force Gruenfeld. However, if you want Gruenfeld, why play 1...d5. Otherwise it's quite playable.

Capablanca-Fan
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
OK Igor, what would you recommend instead of 4. Nf3 ? It seems like your line leads to an inferior form of the Smyslov variation (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1042708).

Igor_Goldenberg
06-03-2009, 08:35 AM
OK Igor, what would you recommend instead of 4. Nf3 ? It seems like your line leads to an inferior form of the Smyslov variation (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1042708).
Nothing wrong with 4.Nf3, after all queen does not have to go to c4. Which means white would be playing favourable version of Gruenfeld. I just don't think 2...Nf6 is such a bad move.