PDA

View Full Version : Chess for Charity: Bushfire Tournament 15 March

Watto
26-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Chess for Charity: Bushfire Appeal
==================================

Northern Star Chess in conjunction with Eltham High School

100% OF ALL PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED TO THE RED CROSS VICTORIA BUSH FIRES APPEAL.

Date: Sunday 15th March 2009
Time: 10:00am – 3:30pm
Refreshments: Sausage Sizzle

(on-site parking at Eltham High School adjacent to the tournament venue.
Entry at the end of Susan Street)

Main Event: CHESS TOURNAMENT
3 Divisions:
- Primary
- Secondary
- Open

Format
- 7 round Swiss

Time Control:
- 15 minutes per player per game

Cost: $20 per player

Prizes:
- Trophies & Medals for top scorers
- Certificates for every player

Alternatives:
WORKSHOPS WITH CHESS COACHES
- Cost: $20 to register

CASUAL GAMES
- Cost: Free

To Register, do one of the following:
- ONLINE registration at www.elthamhs.vic.edu.au, follow the chess link
- DOWNLOAD registration form at www.northernstarchess.com
- CONTACT Northern Star Chess:
email: info@northernstarchess.com
phone: 0407 072 250

REGISTRATION CLOSES: FRIDAY 13 MARCH

antichrist
26-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I was all excited and saying "blimey I am going to this" coz Northern STar is the Lismore newspaper and Eltham is a village outside of Lismore but somehow I think it is in Victoria coz of Vic.edu or something. I feel like a balloon that just fizzled in cirlces down to the gruond. So is it NSW or Vic?

Watto
26-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I was all excited and saying "blimey I am going to this" coz Northern STar is the Lismore newspaper and Eltham is a village outside of Lismore but somehow I think it is in Victoria coz of Vic.edu or something. I feel like a balloon that just fizzled in cirlces down to the gruond. So is it NSW or Vic?
Sorry, it's in Victoria, AC.

WhiteElephant
26-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Who are the chess coaches doing the workshops? Thanks.

Watto
27-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Who are the chess coaches doing the workshops? Thanks.
Hi WE. I'm not involved in the organisation of this but I’ve been told that the workshops are mostly intended for juniors and beginners. So depending on registration, it'll be a case of rallying up help. I don’t have exact names but they will possibly come from Croydon CC, or they'll find others who can help out.

The registration form for workshop says:
"- Introduction (if you have never played chess, but would like to start learning)
- Beginners (if you know how the pieces move, can play a game and would like to learn some neat tactics)
- Intermediate (if you know some tactics like 'pin', 'mating patterns' and 'double attack with the Queen' and would like to progress to something more advanced)"

If you are interested in more info, you could pm me, and I'll put you in touch with the organisers. :)

Anyway, the general idea is that those who are happy to donate $20, come play some chess or join a workshop to learn more about chess.

WhiteElephant
27-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Watto. I have a pretty good idea who the organisers are, was just curious about the coaching, so you've answered my question.

It sounds like a great initiative! :clap: :clap:

Davidflude
04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
The incentive is 100% for charity, with all proceeds donated to the Bush Fires Appeal. Essentially we are encouraging individuals to come play some chess for a $20 donation to the appeal.

Please find below the text information from the flyer (PDF version of flyer attached).

Your support in the matter would be greatly appreciated! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by email or on my mobile - 0407 072250.

Warm regards,
Pearl

Chess for Charity: Bushfire Tournament 15 March

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chess for Charity: Bushfire Appeal
==================================

Northern Star Chess in conjunction with Eltham High School

100% OF ALL PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED TO THE RED CROSS VICTORIA BUSH FIRES APPEAL.

Date: Sunday 15th March 2009
Time: 10:00am 3:30pm
Refreshments: Sausage Sizzle

(on-site parking at Eltham High School adjacent to the tournament venue.
Entry at the end of Susan Street)

Main Event: CHESS TOURNAMENT
3 Divisions:
- Primary
- Secondary
- Open

Format
- 7 round Swiss

Time Control:
- 15 minutes per player per game

Cost: $20 per player

Prizes:
- Trophies & Medals for top scorers
- Certificates for every player

Alternatives:
WORKSHOPS WITH CHESS COACHES (for juniors and beginners)
- Cost: $20 to register

CASUAL GAMES
- Cost: Free

To Register, do one of the following:
- ONLINE registration at www.elthamhs.vic.edu.au, follow the chess link
- DOWNLOAD registration form at www.northernstarchess.com
- CONTACT Northern Star Chess:
email: info@northernstarchess.com
phone: 0407 072 250

REGISTRATION CLOSES: FRIDAY 13 MARCH

Watto
05-03-2009, 08:33 AM
For anyone who is confused, despite the slightly different thread title, this is the same event as the thread I began earlier. See link: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9703

Would be great if lots of Victorian chessplayers show up! :)

[threads merged - mod]

Watto
11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Just a reminder that this event is on this Sunday.

Watto
01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
i was wondering the same re the other fundraiser. :)
Hi eclectic. I don't know the answer to that question as I wasn't able to attend on the day. I was just helping to promote it here on cc. But I'll find out and let you know. I did hear that it went well and from memory about 40 people turned up.

Watto
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Okay, I've had a nice reply from Pearl Yung who was the main organiser. A great woman, I know Pearl through Croydon CC. She modestly explains her role as follows: "I was an Eltham High School parent who happened to have resources for a chess tournament :) "

And this is her description of the event which I am quoting with her permission:
"It was a great day. We had a tournament with 37 participants, a good spread of adults, secondary and primary ages students. It was run as a single tournament with 1 trophy and 3 medals (gold silver and bronze) given to the top 4 players of each category.
Trophy for the Open division went to Scott Humphreys. Trophy for Primary division went to out Chelsea Xu. Secondary division trophy went to Nikhil Kuma Puppala.

N.Y. [Wong, Senior Fide Trainer] was chief arbiter and Jamie Cross was assistant arbiter. I ran a beginners workshop for 3 adults. Everybody who attended the tournament and workshop received a specially designed certificate of participation.

The amount raised was $1220. This amount included attendance to the tournament and workshop, sausage sizzle and donations on the day. Eltham High School sent this donation off to the Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal and they sent a letter back thanking the school community :)

All in all, very worth while!"

Spiny Norman
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Awesome effort!

ER
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Huge congratulations to Pearl and all involved for the tremendous effort and great result!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: I propose Pearl to be accepted as a honourary member of this Forum! She deserves it!